Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Videos showing current client/server sync issues (skill delay)

Comments

• AlamarethAlamareth Cincinnati, OHPosts: 570Member
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Not a fan how its set up. You need to train yourself to get use to walking away quicker, and know you can run into aoes (that don't persist) even while the effect looks like its just going off.

I've done titan HM without being hit once, its plausible (most didn't get hit once in my group) but it relies on getting use to its form of timing.

Does everyone really believe that the timing to dodge AoEs doesn't account for 300ms position lag?

Everything is so easily dodged if you execute things properly, you have well over half a second more than what's needed.

you are the complete apologist, you'll say anything to defend this wretched train wreck of a game. It's wonderful that you can telepathically anticipate the 300 ms deviation in a game. I always assumed a game played fair, not using it's poorly developed code as an enticement for the twitch generation. How is this fun?

Look, you need to stop because you are one of the biggest know nothing trolls on the FFXIV forums.  PiedPiper, am I correct?

It's an honest question.  I'm not professional developer but if I knew there would be 300ms positional lag as a worst case scenario, I think I'd account for 300ms when Im setting up the timing to dodge AoE.  If that suddenly went away, I'd trim down the allowance accordingly.

Lag is lag.  People that have difficulty lag well beyond the 300 ms worst cast scenario.  I imagine they'd STILL have problems if this was changed.

The issues are duty finder stress, lag spikes need to be alleviated.  The fact that there is no Euro data center for the Euro worlds also makes no sense.

This?  Doesn't even make the top 5 list.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorPosts: 1,116Member Uncommon

Not a fan how its set up. You need to train yourself to get use to walking away quicker, and know you can run into aoes (that don't persist) even while the effect looks like its just going off.

I've done titan HM without being hit once, its plausible (most didn't get hit once in my group) but it relies on getting use to its form of timing.

Does everyone really believe that the timing to dodge AoEs doesn't account for 300ms position lag?

Everything is so easily dodged if you execute things properly, you have well over half a second more than what's needed.

you are the complete apologist, you'll say anything to defend this wretched train wreck of a game. It's wonderful that you can telepathically anticipate the 300 ms deviation in a game. I always assumed a game played fair, not using it's poorly developed code as an enticement for the twitch generation. How is this fun?

Look, you need to stop because you are one of the biggest know nothing trolls on the FFXIV forums.  PiedPiper, am I correct?

It's an honest question.  I'm not professional developer but if I knew there would be 300ms positional lag as a worst case scenario, I think I'd account for 300ms when Im setting up the timing to dodge AoE.  If that suddenly went away, I'd trim down the allowance accordingly.

Lag is lag.  People that have difficulty lag well beyond the 300 ms worst cast scenario.  I imagine they'd STILL have problems if this was changed.

The issues are duty finder stress, lag spikes need to be alleviated.  The fact that there is no Euro data center for the Euro worlds also makes no sense.

Baloney, there will always be lagg from the net that we can adapt too but adding a 300ms coding lag on top of it is asinine and it needs to go away, they do this and most of the complaints will evaporate.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• PpiperPpiper Horsham, PAPosts: 648Member Uncommon

are you insane? I never post on the FFXIV forums. I post on their forums with a different handle so STFU!  You lied about that and now you lie about your subject matter. So, if I were you, I'd save my breath for your inflatable date. Got it, rook!?

Originally posted by Asm0deus
    -snip-
    and most of the complaints will evaporate.

Pfft, in your dreams bud.  These people will find something else to complain about in a matter of days.

I just wish people would be vocal about things that actually matter.  The gil deletion and positional lag are just minor quality of life issues.  No progression blocks.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,538Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Vyce
    Easy Solution - remove the red circle/cone/rectangle from the game. I have always found those early warning signs too carebear and annoying as hell.

Maybe you are missing the point, removing red circles would only be masking the problem, the 300ms delay is still present for every single skill in game!

They need to solve this in server netcode, other AAA games do not have this issue, so its clearly possible.

Should I even mention that as P2P game, this is simply a big no-no IMO.

Bear in mind, this is from the same Producer/Director who has stated the reason you can't send PMs while in a cross-server instance is because it's not possible.

Other MMOs have had cross-server instancing since well before ARR, and you could send PMs just fine.

I admire the hell out of the guy for the effort and time he's put into rebuilding the game, not to mention the hours of sleep he must have lost... He's a hard-working and passionate man, and nothing can take that away from him. It's clear he did his research into the gameplay aspects of other MMOs (whether their implementation in ARR was a good thing or not is subjective).

What's also clear, however, is the apparent lack of research he and his team did when implementing the systems around it. 300ms delay "built in" to the game, inability to support PMs from instances even though it's clearly do-able, lack of any anti-RMT systems in-place at launch, or even so much as a right-click "report gilspammer" option in a right-click menu, their complete lack of preparedness to setup and launch additional servers to keep up with player demand. Their lack of immediate response to the AFK'ing issue that locked up available login slots, and prevented many people from being able to play for almost two weeks, how they pushed ahead with Early Access even without more thoroughly testing the issues plaguing Open Beta (which would come back to bite them in the ass). And so on.

All of these things are situations that have occurred in other MMOs of the last 8+ years, and have been handled far better. There's really no excuse for SE to have been so ill-prepared for these things with ARR; especially when they'd already dealt with and addressed some of them with one of their own MMOs.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,564Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Asm0deus?

It is  a bug due to bad coding. Link

Those of you saying it is not a bug and you all just suck and need to learn "battle awareness or you need to learn how run out of the red or you need to adapt to the timing" please note the forums it is under:

Thanks again for finding this - at least they are acknowledging that its a bug - now what will they do about it?

-snip-
    and most of the complaints will evaporate.

Pfft, in your dreams bud.  These people will find something else to complain about in a matter of days.

I just wish people would be vocal about things that actually matter.  The gil deletion and positional lag are just minor quality of life issues.  No progression blocks.

Oh they will complain about other things like all the speedhacks/teleporting botters and whatnot but most of the big complaint about AOE lagg will go away as it is due to this very thing.

If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself and do not know what you are talking about and are just looking to be argumentative.

Oh btw my handle here is Asm0deus not "bud" please remain civil and use it.

Those of you saying it is not a bug and you all just suck and need to learn "battle awareness or you need to learn how run out of the red or you need to adapt to the timing" please note the forums it is under:

Thanks again for finding this - at least they are acknowledging that its a bug - now what will they do about it?

Notice how a pretty large chunk of them are in the EU servers?

If you had actually read some threads about the subject instead of skimming through it you would know even people in the province of Quebec living only 1 hr away have issues with this but it is less of a problem because they have very low net lagg.

The issues and reason it needs to go is because they are not willing to have servers in every state so we all have very low net lagg. This is something that will not change period, they can however reduce this coding lagg so the formula would be:

real lagg = net lagg + server lagg (due to primetime and high server traffic) which we all, by now, are use to and can adapt to.

I have guildies from Australia and they can adapt to stupid crazy lagg times of 300 400ms plus (this lagg btw is only the net lagg and doesn't include the coding lagg).

The problem however is right now you have this formula:

real lagg = net lagg + server lagg+ coding lagg (300ms).  There are limits to how much you can compensate before things become  "not fun". 

Also keep in mind that this coding lagg (300ms) doesn't show up really when you are testing your lagg. So if you have 150ms lagg due to you being far away from the servers you need to add 300 to that because of these positioning checks plus if you play primetime add in the lagg spikes.

• ZalmonZalmon Bloomington, INPosts: 319Member
    Just imagine the pile of mess when PVP releases. This MMO is being made two times now and still SE can't get things right. They should just get out of MMO business for good.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi LONDONPosts: 661Member Uncommon
    I give this game a year until they shutdown or make an announcement that 3.0 is for real realz this time!

If you had actually read some threads about the subject instead of skimming through it you would know even people in the province of Quebec living only 1 hr away have issues with this but it is less of a problem because they have very low net lagg.

The issues and reason it needs to go is because they are not willing to have servers in every state so we all have very low net lagg. This is something that will not change period, they can however reduce this coding lagg so the formula would be:

real lagg = net lagg + server lagg (due to primetime and high server traffic) which we all, by now, are use to and can adapt to.

I have guildies from Australia and they can adapt to stupid crazy lagg times of 300 400ms plus (this lagg btw is only the net lagg and doesn't include the coding lagg).

real lagg = net lagg + server lagg+ coding lagg (300ms).  There are limits to how much you can compensate before things become  "not fun". 

Also keep in mind that this coding lagg (300ms) doesn't show up really when you are testing your lagg. So if you have 150ms lagg due to you being far away from the servers you need to add 300 to that because of these positioning checks plus if you play primetime add in the lagg spikes.

Yes, because I always draw conclusions by using the one example that fits my argument the best.

I made a generalization.  Most of those players in that thread do not live in North America.  Yeah, there's a dude in Quebec.  God knows, he might be playing on an Easy Bake Oven for all I know.

Yes, because I always draw conclusions by using the one example that fits my argument the best.

I made a generalization.  Most of those players in that thread do not live in North America.  Yeah, there's a dude in Quebec.  God knows, he might be playing on an Easy Bake Oven for all I know.

Actually there are quite a few people from Canada in the thread but you seem to be so infatuated with being right you won't look and see what is staring you right in the face.

Hell I live in eastern Canada and I can see the effect of the 300ms coding lagg so keep putting  your head in the sand and keep making excuses for SE but please stop trying to blow smoke up our arses.

I really like the game and want it to succeed but lets be honest and tell it like it is shall we instead of plain out lying to people that haven't played it yet.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by karmath

Considering they chose to locate their servers in Eastern Canada only compounds this issue. West Coast US players have 100-180ms ping while its completely unplayable for Australia and New Zealand coming in at around 300-400ms. Add in the longest GCD of any modern game at two seconds and a client sync issue you have a massive unresponsive lagfest.

Why they did this is pretty baffling, I cannot think of a single reason why someone thought it was a good idea to locate servers so far away from their target market when their game has performance issues in the first place. It's like investing in a bacon stand in the middle of baghdad stupid.

I live in Europe and I got minimal issues. By minimal I mean, that I maybe get an issue if there is tons of people in a fate. 99% of the time in battle, 0 issues from lag.

I do know that I had significant issues when playing an older computer. So I certainly would like to know the FPS of those that do have issues, just to rule out that it isn't graphical issues.

Nonetheless, it is an issue, but it is certainly not a problem for all Europeans.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by karmath

Considering they chose to locate their servers in Eastern Canada only compounds this issue. West Coast US players have 100-180ms ping while its completely unplayable for Australia and New Zealand coming in at around 300-400ms. Add in the longest GCD of any modern game at two seconds and a client sync issue you have a massive unresponsive lagfest.

Why they did this is pretty baffling, I cannot think of a single reason why someone thought it was a good idea to locate servers so far away from their target market when their game has performance issues in the first place. It's like investing in a bacon stand in the middle of baghdad stupid.

I live in Europe and I got minimal issues. By minimal I mean, that I maybe get an issue if there is tons of people in a fate. 99% of the time in battle, 0 issues from lag.

I do know that I had significant issues when playing an older computer. So I certainly would like to know the FPS of those that do have issues, just to rule out that it isn't graphical issues.

Nonetheless, it is an issue, but it is certainly not a problem for all Europeans.

I referenced an Easy Bake Oven earlier....

Well, funny story - I basically play on one.  Good ole decade aged dual core processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a GTX 550 Ti, and a 40 GB (woot!) server pull hard drive.  Trust me, it isn't your hardware causing problems.

I do notice lag, perhaps ranging at 200-300ms because I'm able to slide cast on just about everything.  I also run the hardest content in the game, the least of my problems being 200-300ms.

This discussion is tired.  Championed by inferior players that are unable to clear inferior content.

• hcoelhohcoelho Rio de JaneiroPosts: 529Member

People outside US and EUR always plays with high latency due several factors...  we all do as well as you guys. Stop bitching for fuck sake. 

If the game has a problem and you care about it, give feedback to the company. Crying like motherless child here won't do a magic trick. And if you don't care, why bother ?!

I'm playing the game, there is a delay thats true. But its a delay that i'm used to handle.  I usually get 150 ~ 300 ms from East coast US servers, west coast is even worse. EUR servers can go beyond that.  And i still can do good, the game is still fun and i can still tank. Maybe in higher lvls i'll have to adapt more quickly, but still. Adapt or go play something else. GW2 has responsive combat and don't even has a sub, go enjoy something and stop bitching. 

Enough crying already.

This discussion is tired.  Championed by inferior players that are unable to clear inferior content.

Wow, seriously?

This 300ms of additional delay is *acknowledged* by the devs as a problem.

It is a major issue that ALL players have to deal with whether they know it or not.

It has nothing to do with clearing any content - you are trying sidestep the issue, again acknowledged by Square Enix.

Any info sent from client to server has 300ms of additional delay - like summoning your mount, *any* action is delayed.

Again - this should not be acceptable for any game, let alone a subscription game.

I can't wait to see how SE is going to fix the issue, players need to know that it is not their ISP or their hardware, or their eyes playing tricks on them - yes on their PC they did dodge that AOE but the 300ms of additional delay killed them.

Huge problem as it is forced on all players by server/net code.

Players need to know about this dirty little secret that is just coming to surface.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon
    pvp should be interesting. Is this something that happens all the time? Every time?
    Originally posted by bcbully
    pvp should be interesting. Is this something that happens all the time? Every time?

Yes - all actions, all the time, all servers, all players - everything even non-combat stuff has additional 300ms added before its processed server side. Its in the netcode.

2.5 second global cool down hides this "bug" very well, if the game had a 1.5sec GCD it would be beyond obvious.

PvP will be a complete mess unless this is fixed.

*snip*
    *snip*

What is tired is people feeling to need to boost their self worth/skill level by claiming that people, that are trying to get a known bug fixed and trying to keep it from been sweeped under the rug, are "inferior players that are unable to clear inferior content".

Seriously some people seem to be afraid this bug will be fixed for some obscure reason.

Plain fact is this issue was accepted by SE themselves as an "accepted bug" so argue all you want but you are 100% wrong and at this point just trolling with anecdotal evidence/arguements.

If some of you are tired of hearing about it move on plain and simple and stop insulting and griefing players that do want this to be fixed asap.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Posts: 269Member Uncommon

Wow, seriously?

This 300ms of additional delay is *acknowledged* by the devs as a problem.

It is a major issue that ALL players have to deal with whether they know it or not.

It has nothing to do with clearing any content - you are trying sidestep the issue, again acknowledged by Square Enix.

Any info sent from client to server has 300ms of additional delay - like summoning your mount, *any* action is delayed.

Again - this should not be acceptable for any game, let alone a subscription game.

I can't wait to see how SE is going to fix the issue, players need to know that it is not their ISP or their hardware, or their eyes playing tricks on them - yes on their PC they did dodge that AOE but the 300ms of additional delay killed them.

Huge problem as it is forced on all players by server/net code.

Players need to know about this dirty little secret that is just coming to surface.

So SE acknowledged the problem, how is it a dirty little secret?  Logic?

Anyway, it seems this issue only has  a significant impact in end game combat content.  It probably isn't affecting the majority of the player base, myself included, which may be why they appear ignorant.  If it's as significant as many of you make it sound, I will hope a solution is found before I reach that point in the content.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member

Great expose, Geraldo.

Serioisly though, I was annoyed by it in the beginning but I found that my brain can compensate for it. I don't really notice it at all anymore. I do, however, see many people use it as an excuse for their poor play, ash-can pc's, shotty ISP's, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

I can't think of any unflawed game that was ever created. Everyone's a critic. The good in this game, IMHO, outweighs the bad. I'm surprised that people aren't complaining more about the universal tick that goes along with any HOT or DOT applied & labeling it "gamebreaking".

You know what really used to chap my hide? Kung Fu for the NES. There was a slight delay in the button response on the controller during combat. I was like wtf... Of course that was an action/fighting (completely different) game.

In summary, I guess everyone has a gamebreaking hang up, this one just isn't mine. Good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish with this thread.

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by Homitu

On an encounter like Demon Wall, I stand on the outside in preparation for when the middle gets covered in ooze; but I've grown accustomed to running back into the middle well before the ooze actually disappears on my screen in order to get a head start on avoiding the incoming side ooze.

While the rest of your post is true, I sort of wonder why you use an example of a fight where you are starting in a safe area is evidence of lag.

I mean....it's just good sense to start on the sides vs. Demon Wall regardless of lag.

Overall, unless you really have a lot of lag - whatever delay there is on positioning is easily adjusted to.  We can argue all day as to whether or not we should have to adjust, but the fact is simple.  This 300ms position check is real and it's going no where.

Get used to it.  I don't know what I can say to you if you really have that much trouble staying on top of your battle awareness.

Maybe I didn't articulate myself clearly enough, because I don't think you understood the point of that part of my post.  I obviously had no problem whatsoever with Demon Wall, and everyone should and does obviously start the encounter standing on the sides.  That was just to provide a reference point for having to eventually move from the side to the middle during the second ooze line.  

All I intended to say there was that I - and others, I've observed - actually start running to the middle just before the side aoe line indicators pop up and while the middle is getting covered in ooze because I've been conditioned by this 300ms delay, consciously or subconsciously.  The result is the rather ridiculous visual of my character standing in the middle as ooze pours over me, but doesn't actually hit me because the server didn't register my new position in the middle yet.  

The point of the example wasn't to show how detrimental the 300ms delay was to the fight, but to explain how I and others have almost unconsciously adapted to the delay and begun to preempt mechanics we're familiar enough with to anticipate and time properly.  And to explain how ridiculous it looks and feels.  

This is only exacerbated by the fact that area targeted attacks already behave differently than every other MMO that ever existed in that it doesn't matter where the player stands when the attack actually lands in the area, only where the player is when the attack was launched by the attacker.  That is, projectiles' speed and animation don't mean anything.  The result can be silly both ways.  You can get hit by the attack even if you're clearly standing outside the area when the animation actually lands; or you can stand right in the area when the animation goes off around you and not get hit by the attack.  Both cases cause the player to feel a huge disconnect.  

• ZalmonZalmon Bloomington, INPosts: 319Member

• skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Great expose, Geraldo.

Serioisly though, I was annoyed by it in the beginning but I found that my brain can compensate for it. I don't really notice it at all anymore. I do, however, see many people use it as an excuse for their poor play, ash-can pc's, shotty ISP's, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

I can't think of any unflawed game that was ever created. Everyone's a critic. The good in this game, IMHO, outweighs the bad. I'm surprised that people aren't complaining more about the universal tick that goes along with any HOT or DOT applied & labeling it "gamebreaking".

You know what really used to chap my hide? Kung Fu for the NES. There was a slight delay in the button response on the controller during combat. I was like wtf... Of course that was an action/fighting (completely different) game.

In summary, I guess everyone has a gamebreaking hang up, this one just isn't mine. Good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish with this thread.

It's not an expose but a coding issue which people have known since the beta phase and on which the dev himself commented as i wrote in my post. There is no doubt that it exists and that people playing from across Asia have to compensate for 500-700 ms positioning delay because of the combined effect.

And no, not all Asians are Japanese so we can't play on the JP server; it's used by the majority of JP people only except for one server which some Australians seem to be using but even that is populated by Japanese people.