Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GUILD WARS 2 FREE TRIAL REVIEW

Comments

• yangdudeyangdude Gold CoastPosts: 71Member

The op wasn't 100% wrong or right, but it certainly read like a Rift fan ragging on GW2.

I have just levelled my 5th level 80char and yeah it was easy, but also fun and more importantly I feel like I've only JUST PLAYED THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG!!!!

I feel like I need a mind-set change to tackle the next level - delving deeper into traits and learning best-practise with skills, exploring further maps, crafting which I've hardly touched, dungeons and some world bosses I've never seen, pvp, wvw, fractals, guild activities, living story etc.

There is sooooo much left to do and at the end of the day there seems to be a lot of people doing it.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,428Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

There's not a single minotaur in any of the starter areas of this game.

It's obvious this "reviewer" tried the game having an already negative bias.

And typing you thread title in all caps doesn't make you more believable either.

Obvious Rift fanboi who came here to bash GW2.

I could not write a review because the game was so bad from the start,i felt the urge to log out.I do knwo alot about this game because i followed it quite a bit before it even came out,i followed the system designer's vlogs and interviews and all sorts of stuff.

You can use the word bash or whatever,sometimes there is just truth in the matter,using your own words,it does not make YOU any more believable either by saying someone else is just bashing the game.

A perfect example is the CHEAP lack of cutscenes and movies,i found a lot of fanbois early on were actually defending the cheaper effort by Arena net who's excuse was using THEIR words "to show off the art team" ..LMAO umm ya ok,maybe if you take every single gamer as a fool.

EVERY single developer uses art for their game,however MOST transform that art into 3d movies and CS's,only a lazy or cheaper product tries to avoid the added effort.EVERYTHING that is graphical,visual in a game is a form of ART,so why the BS rhetoric from Anet,well i think they really do take people as fools,well i got news for them,most are not,we see through lies quite easily.

it also did not take Arena.net long to transform back into GW1 mode adding instance content,something they said they were avoiding at the start to get away from that  GW1 stigma.Arena net simply lies a LOT or tries it's best to mislead people,that i do not care for at all,i have little respect for Anet.

Nobody is going to or at least they shouldn't tell someone they can't enjoy GW2,geesh i say go for it ,if you are having fun in ANY game,then play it, stick to it and not worry about what other's think.However i know quite well what Anet is trying to do and how sneaky and misleading they are,i simply do not like the way Anet runs it's business.I found the game in my short stay to be really weak but i will never tell others to not like it as i am sure plenty of people do like it.

Samoan Diamond

• LokbergLokberg OlsoPosts: 315Member
    To be fair he is right about the armor repair there isent one when your that low level
  • HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

There's not a single minotaur in any of the starter areas of this game.

It's obvious this "reviewer" tried the game having an already negative bias.

And typing you thread title in all caps doesn't make you more believable either.

Obvious Rift fanboi who came here to bash GW2.

Not commenting on the review but there is indeed multiple locations with level 1 and 2 starting area minotaurs. Alpines and bulls for certain. 

He/she said in the starting instance, the one you get as soon as you log into the game. None of them has minotaurs attacking a city. And definitely not the human one he/she was playing.

I will quote: "The town is on fire attacked by Minotaurs."

None of the introductory areas has this scenario.

My point is, if you are pretending doing a "review", be accurate. Otherwise, it just sounds like someone who tried the game without paying much attention about what was happening on his screen and posted just in order to bash it.

Is this just one big, roundabout, unnecessarily dickish way of pointing out his obvious "centaur" typo?

• 9ineven9ineven SomewherePosts: 153Member Uncommon
    Why would you make a review while being totally biased and not objective other than to make yourself look like a fool? :/
  • yangdudeyangdude Gold CoastPosts: 71Member
    Originally posted by Wizardry

However i know quite well what Anet is trying to do and how sneaky and misleading they are,

Um...what are they trying to do - give many months (years?) of gameplay for the low start up price?

All of you have more experience with MMO's than I do, but I played PW for years and it was a total P2W.  Imagine grinding for hours to by a reasonable piece of gear and here the OP is complaining because there is so much gear and loot drops.

Then I played Neverwinter which I assume the OP never played.  Holy crap if you consider GW2 to be linear as you've described, you would spontaneously combust playing NW - its so linear even I couldn't stomach it. 

Horses for courses I say.  

• SiphaedSiphaed Everywhere!Posts: 876Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Not commenting on the review but there is indeed multiple locations with level 1 and 2 starting area minotaurs. Alpines and bulls for certain. 

He/she said in the starting instance, the one you get as soon as you log into the game. None of them has minotaurs attacking a city. And definitely not the human one he/she was playing.

I will quote: "The town is on fire attacked by Minotaurs."

None of the introductory areas has this scenario.

My point is, if you are pretending doing a "review", be accurate. Otherwise, it just sounds like someone who tried the game without paying much attention about what was happening on his screen and posted just in order to bash it.

Is this just one big, roundabout, unnecessarily dickish way of pointing out his obvious "centaur" typo?

Actually, no.  That's pointing out one of many typos, omissions, and errors in the review that show complete obliviousness to what's being reviewed.  

"Teleports" instead of "Waypoints"

"Panoramic" instead of "Vista"

The whole rant about "instant teleportation, event if it costs, is lazy and avoids exploration" completely neglected the fact that Waypoints are locked.  They require a person to first discover them via exploration and travel before being able to use them.  

I honestly think he was trying to reference Dynamic Events by calling them "NPC tasks" in the following paragraph, but that's hard to tell if accurate or not.  Especially when it follows up with "Even farting gives you XP. No joke. Seriously.", which itself is just a straight out bullshit statement (there's no farting emote or otherwise, I know, I've tried).   I think instead of Dynamic Events, that might have been about Hearts (especially since the referenced tasks were choice style such as Hearts are).

Another inconsistence is his reference to "cleaning poop", which I'm unaware of any Dynamic Event or Heart that asks for such tasks.  The particular Heart he provided a screenshot to this caption has a player defeating giant worms, filling in worm holes, feeding cows, or watering cows.  Nothing to do with 'poop' at all.  And this is like the 2nd Heart a player comes across in Queensdale, at level 2-3ish (out of 80).  And this isn't a simple mistake either since he references it 3x, as if intending to state that all there is to do in GW2 is "clean poop".

The mail rant is so-so for me, as I didn't notice the delivery doves until the 2nd week of play, so it's quite possible to think it's all done "magically". But, it's not.  Those doves work night and day to deliver mail to Tyrians everywhere.  

Yet another inaccuracy to point out is how the author claims that all weapon skills are instantly unlocked at the equipping of that weapon.  This is in fact a lie and the progressively unlock as the weapon is used in combat to gain kills.

Assuming PvP was locked to level?  Okay, now I know he's just trolling.  Right? I mean, I can understand an obvious Rift-fanboy to think that since Rift does it other games might too.  Well, he's wrong in that assumption.   GW2 WvW and sPvP can be played from level 2 just outside that starting tutorial zone. Booth boost the player to level 80.  Only in WvW does gear and trait points matter; in sPvP those things matter not.

Saying that there is no armor repairing at all in-game is a show of obliviousness and purposeful ignorance.  In the starting town there is an armor repair guy with icon (looks like a broken red heart) above their head.   Many of the key towns throughout zones have these armor repair NPC's available for use.  

One other thing I would like to point out is the explanation of Waypoint system.  This is explained by the first NPC directed by the Personal Story to talk to after the Tutorial zone:  The Scout.   These NPC's in the starting area act as guides to tell players where interesting things on the maps are.  The first ones explain that the WP system is a product of the Asura technology; all money from them actually goes to the council of Rata Sum.   

I really could go on, but I'm not going to any more.  Jean-Luc Picard (incidentally my favorite Captain of the USS Enterprise) and others in this thread already did a great job breaking down this shame of a "review" and exposing it for what it is:  an anti-GW2 rant by a possible Rift fanboy.

• orionblackorionblack Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Hmm Rift was mentioned 16 times - how refreshing to see an unbiased review for once.

Agreed......

To the OP...no sympathies to be found here...go play for more than an hour, I did and was quite surprised.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Charlotte, NCPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by orionblack
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Hmm Rift was mentioned 16 times - how refreshing to see an unbiased review for once.

Agreed......

To the OP...no sympathies to be found here...go play for more than an hour, I did and was quite surprised.

This is how I felt as well. I believe that I really started to enjoy the game after I left the first map. I also feel that the humans have the most boring starting area. Maybe that's just me.

Also unless I missed it you didn't discuss pvp at all. Which is available to you at level 1. Wvw is a great implementation that let's you take a break from boring grinding. I also just started doing spvp a few days ago and it is by far the most fun I have had pvping in an mmo in a very long time.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

There are all kinds of valid issues people bring up with GW2 and you managed to miss them all and obviously this post was made with an agenda to get people to try one of the cruddier MMORPG out there in RIFT. This is just a really sad post by what I assume is a bitter poster. To those who do not like the game I get it, in fact I've never made it to 80 because I get bored before reaching that point because the game gets so repetitive, so I may even agree with you. But almost nothing in this review is really valid. How you managed to make such an in depth review and miss the really valid issues the game has in some places is beyond me.

• MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member

It's more like it's just an easy shortcut to point out how he's pretty unobservant.  There are a lot of errors all over what was said. That was just an obvious one.  I'd agree that under normal circumstances it'd be a bit petty, but him saying minotaurs is just a reflection of the lack of accuracy that pervades the whole review.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,901Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Meowhead

It's more like it's just an easy shortcut to point out how he's pretty unobservant.  There are a lot of errors all over what was said. That was just an obvious one.  I'd agree that under normal circumstances it'd be a bit petty, but him saying minotaurs is just a reflection of the lack of accuracy that pervades the whole review.

This is a review of a trial experience, if the game didn't only offer a temporary trial, and instead offered it at all times, this would be a redundant thing. That aside, considering it is a trial (a few days) there's really little time to take notice of those finer details when you're really focusing on what the overall experience offers. That's what knowledge a normal person would seek to attain in that short period of time. Considering that you should expect some finer details being misrepresented based on personal experience and perception.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by Distopia

This is a review of a trial experience, if the game didn't only offer a temporary trial, and instead offered it at all times, this would be a redundant thing. That aside, considering it is a trial (a few days) there's really little time to take notice of those finer details when you're really focusing on what the overall experience offers. That's what knowledge a normal person would seek to attain in that short period of time. Considering that you should expect some finer details being misrepresented based on personal experience and perception.

But they got large chunks of the overall experience wrong as WELL  Actual factual things.  Not opinion things.  Just things they flat out got wrong, like no armor repair.

They are just not an observant person.

You probably also shouldn't say you literally get xp for farting, unless you actually, literally get xp for farting.

Just saying.

Hate when people misuse literally.  I literally hate it. :P

If somebody misses large chunks of things, then complains about the things that they missed, and they've a proven track record of not being observant, it is a perfectly acceptable thing to state 'this person is bad at observing things and this is the flaw with their review'.

• zastenzasten nowherePosts: 283Member

If you have the time to spare, then you can get to max lvl in 68 hours or less, probably a lot less if you focus solely and don't wast any time chatting etc!

I have 9 lvl 80's, 2 of which took less than 2 weeks to max out!

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,048Member Uncommon

Even if the review was true (which its not)

For a 1 payment only game , that pumps new content every 2 weeks , and has everyone as his dog playing it.

I think its worth it

Actually I am suprised to see "TRIAL REVIEW" i thought that any serious MMO player allready has it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,758Member Uncommon

OP, your entire negatively biased opinion lost every possible credibility when you said that Rift runs smoothly and GW2 is clunky.

Seriously, why fanatics try too hard to bash other games? You entire post is a fallacy

• ErindalErindal Chicago, ILPosts: 54Member
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Meowhead

10 days trial. Man if you can't take a notice of centaurs burning the city in 10 days I feel sad for your family and neighbours.  They might be already dead while you're trying to figure our where the shop is to buy them some food. 

And the man who tries to advocate idiocy is who? 

• PapaprikaPapaprika Cocopuffland, CAPosts: 51Member

Thanks to the commenters that liked the article and understand the facts presented. 

Just to highlight on the general other negative comments: 

1) Majority of people touched on all the sub subjects, like: "Oh, there is only one Minotaur (actually there are mobs of them the second you log in the game. They are fighting the local towns folk in endless waves and you can test out combat for the first time there. I take it 90% of the comments left here have never played this game, and flaming). But not one person here against the article has argued the massive problem/issue/subject. The insta teleporting. The combat, the death, the easiness...They all picked the weak arguments and posted. I can roll with that. Let's say I made it up and there is only 1 Minotaur....That has nothing to do with the rest of the core game mechanics discussed in the game.

2) Because the main issues every one avoids and "trolls" the other weaker points are still there and glaring, this entire post is FACT and not Opinion. 

3) But I do not like to call it "problems", because as I concluded. Kids need to start somewhere, and some times it is not a progression. It is not "start here, end here". Maybe people want to stay in this title for all the ease, and shallowness it has to offer. Nothing wrong with that. Not once did I say there was  a problem with that. To each their own.

The only thing this article should be taken with these facts is: "This is how it is, before you slap down that cash, is that what you want?" - And "I enjoy this kind of game: (RIFT, TERA, etc..) so will I find those game elements in this game?" and the answer is, yes, some familiar things in mmorpgs are here in GW2, and no, you will not like it if you currently enjoy the challenges of these other titles that seperate themselves from this kind of theme park. Last question "I loved GW1, Is this the immersive world of GW brought to life? No, it is as shallow as a plastic kiddy pool and has NO GUILD WARS, but yes, the graphics are pretty so if you want to see pretty places from the creators of GW 1....go ahead. 

GAME ON FOLKS! image

• RiversdaleRiversdale CardiffPosts: 20Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Papaprika

ConclusionOn the scale, this game gets easily 2/5 - 1 point for the graphics and performance. Another point for features that I might be good end game that I did not have time to touch in this trial. But all in all. NOTHING ELSE. Again, it is the everything that killed WoW: the ease of showering all in theme parkness and killing the groups and guild activity only to do certain group and guild activity (see my article about community in my blog). This is kind of a "shoot self in the foot" design. You create a game that is themed out, easy, skill less practically, and then expect to have groups for some content with a heavy emphasis on PvP (that requires groups). It is like giving dessert before eating diner...it leaves it a little gross to take in and odd and to filling to fast. That said, the graphics and performance are AMAZING! I have decided I Will not throw cash down (EU asking for 31,99 for this game after Trial) right away. I was itching to go right back to the RIFT experience and continue my game I have been progressing in. Guild Wars 2 will be on my "After I finish RIFT and get where I want to be until I am bored. Then, when it goes on sale, I will get it assuming something better is not out at the time". I do recommend it for those not wanting anything demanding in an mmorpg (childs first mmorpg). I also advise to stay away if you are a fan of ANY of the original Guild Wars games (nothing in this game resembles it except the legal use to the names and locations etc.). To all the current players. Enjoy, and one day perhaps I will be there with you. Until then, this game made me appreciate my current game a little more.

Any one else try out the trial? What do you think?

Sorry Papaprika but your post was too long to quote it all so I've just cut to the end. You ask what I think?

I think there are some valid points hidden amongst your review but I really can't accept it as anything other than a biased review by someone who had already decided they didn't like the game. In order to give a proper review you need to leave all your prejudices at the door and look at the game with fresh eyes when playing it. 

I take it the pictures you posted were your own and not someone else's? The last one seems to suggest that you had already formed your opinion of this game, i.e. that it's poor and is for children, right at the very start - to quote "This game sucks, and is like putting on a pair of pampers." From the rest of the picture it seems this opinion was made when you were lvl 1, with only the 1st two skills of your starting weapon unlocked, and in the starting zone before you had even entered the game proper, and probably after only fighting 3 or 4 mobs to unlock the second weapon skill.

Such evidence of a preformed opinion makes it very difficult to take your review seriously.

Originally posted by Papaprika

Oh, there is only one Minotaur (actually there are mobs of them the second you log in the game. They are fighting the local towns folk in endless waves and you can test out combat for the first time there.

Show me a single minotaur please. Also I find it hilarious asking you to show me how they burn the city. 

Just think... minotaur burns the city. 

Actually I feel very sad for the OP. He's missing a very good game. And the reason for it is his own ignorance and inability to see things in the way they really are. 
  • MyriaMyria Lowell, MAPosts: 570Member Uncommon

I'm curious, has no one noticed from the OP's screen shots and iffy diction that they're clearly not a native English speaker?

Or would that just get in the way of trying to use an idiotic thing like mixing up 'centaur' and 'minotaur' to "prove" the OP wrong?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,758Member Uncommon

I just noticed the last picture of the OP. THe OP conveniently typed the game sucks and blah blah blah and took the screenshot. Everything is in french, except that specific message. How convenient.

One of the longest troll posts, full of inaccurate opinions you wrongly state as facts. All that just to show everyone that you didnt like the game. Thats how you see why mmorpgs need to stop catering to young audiences. They have no idea how to share their opinions with others without pretending to be the most accurate reviewers after playing a free trial weekend.

Originally posted by Myria

I'm curious, has no one noticed from the OP's screen shots and iffy diction that they're clearly not a native English speaker?

Or would that just get in the way of trying to use an idiotic thing like mixing up 'centaur' and 'minotaur' to "prove" the OP wrong?

minotaure and centaure in french. 

how often do you mix up apples with oranges?

• DakeruDakeru Posts: 1,637Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rojo6934

I just noticed the last picture of the OP. THe OP conveniently typed the game sucks and blah blah blah and took the screenshot. Everything is in french, except that specific message. How convenient.

I hadn't even taken a closer look at the pictures.

He is really standing in the tutorial instance - being level 1 with 3% exp and exclaims that the game sucks.

Completely unbiased review.

I have an entitlement delusion - because I have this strange idea that my 50$ should have the same value as anyone else's 50$
    "Your account is not entitled to the same value as a new account. Just saying you are entitled to the same as someone else because you said so is exactly what expresses your entitlement issues."