Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pronunciation And Meaning of Tuatha D

So, many people might be wondering what "Tuatha Dé Danann" means, and how it's pronounced...

While many people might think that it's "Tuatha de Danann", with the "de" meaning of, I've done a little research, and Tuatha Dé Danann actually means, People of Goddess Danu, but literally translates to People God/Godess Danu. 

The Tuatha part means People, Tribe, or Nation, the "Dé" part doesn't actually mean "of" but "God/Godess", and then Danann means Danu. Danu was a Godess of the land, but also the "Mother of Gods" . 

As to the pronunciation, you can say Too-Ah-Hah, but with very little emphasis on the "Ah" part, so it's almost like "Too-Hah".

In case you're interested in hearing an actual Audio pronunciation... click the link below. I've found that the third entry, the one by "Conchur" is the best...

<a href="http://www.forvo.com/word/tuatha_d

Comments

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I'd read the name a couple of times in a couple fantasy books. I'd always assumed it was just a reference to the Fey.

An interesting choice for a third faction though. I think it will likely be the "underdog" faction. Although that's wild speculation without any supporting facts. At this stage in the game though wild speculation is all we really have.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    After seeing that Elder Scrolls Online sold out to mediocrity by claiming their three factions will have the exact same 4 archetypes...I am more than excited about this entire project.  The Tuatha De Danann sounds as uniquely different here as anything else thusly offered by Mr. Jacobs.  Can't wait to someday see this game go live.  Someday.