Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will be still any MMO successful like WOW?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

what you think will be any MMO soon  successful almost same as WOW?

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

a console mmo that has systems or content that keep individual players playing 10+ hours a week for 2+ years would do it. whether there are investors with the patience to provide this seems unlikely.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

Nothing the MMO genre as we kniew it is officially dead.  Comsumers now are gamehoppers and have no idea what they want or the patience to actually play a MMO longer than a few months.  MMO's have been diluted to become easy mode short terms games like GW2. SWTOR, AoC with no endgame, no quality and all frontloaded content.  With massive hype for box sales and little concern about long term play.  MMOs are dumbed down for the worst player so everyone wins and there is no place for old school players that want challenge, thought and difficulty.

In other words MMOs are run by massive companies designed to make a dollar, appealing to the lowest interest with no concern about longevity or quality.  All focus is on hype and marketing and the appearance of innovation with little concern about gameplay.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I vote no. Not until they come out with a real holodeck.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Zapzap

Nothing the MMO genre as we kniew it is officially dead.  Comsumers now are gamehoppers and have no idea what they want or the patience to actually play a MMO longer than a few months.  MMO's have been diluted to become easy mode short terms games like GW2. SWTOR, AoC with no endgame, no quality and all frontloaded content.  With massive hype for box sales and little concern about long term play.  MMOs are dumbed down for the worst player so everyone wins and there is no place for old school players that want challenge, thought and difficulty.

In other words MMOs are run by massive companies designed to make a dollar, appealing to the lowest interest with no concern about longevity or quality.  All focus is on hype and marketing and the appearance of innovation with little concern about gameplay.

/thread

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

I don't think so. When WoW came out there was very little competition on the MMO market. MMOs very little known. Here in Europe (can't speak for U.S.) hardly anybody knew Everquest or UO.

I guess a MMORPG can be that popular again. WOW never had as much active players as Runescape or Maple Story afaik, though it was always better known.

But that successful from a financial viewpoint, no. F2P games just don't make that kind of money.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by davc123

There will be more successful MMOs. There already have been since WoW (GW2 / Eve for example).

However, given the current market, there will NOT be another MMO nearly as successful as WoW for quite some time. The primary reason for WoW's success, a fact many people on this forum especially seem to forget / overlook; is that WoW introduced an entirely new market of gamers to MMOs.

Before WoW, there were only a few hundred thousand gamers playing MMOs. ~1 mil users peak. That's not per game, that used to be the total market. Post-WoW? We now have literally 100's of millions of MMO gamers. Now, most of these gamers aren't nearly as dedicated to these games as the rest of us, but they are the primary contributing factor to WoW's success, and they were brought into this genre specifically by WoW.

As such, one of 2 things is going to have to happen to have another MMO with comparable success to WoW.

1) Gamer's need to start being comfortable with the idea of a new type of MMO gameplay, and start embracing / supporting new ideas.

2) The current MMO market will either have to shrink, or a larger market of gamers will need to become available to pull into the MMO genre.

At the present time, neither seem very likely, but both will inevitably happen given enough time.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I doubt it.

Is it important? And (given the answer is yes): Why?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What definition of success are we using?  Runescape and Fantasy Westward Journey are examples of games which already surpassed WoW's peak in terms of number of active accounts years ago.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

History always repeats itself. It will happen again when the right game hits a future portable platform and the tech supports it. Most people here, especially the younger ones, have no clue what the next 10-20 years will bring. To a young person 20 years is eternity. To someone with more life experience 20 or even 40 years isn't that long. All one sees is the same shit happening over and over again. Human nature will always be the same even when everything else changes around it.

Fools with little regard to history are the ones who say something will never happen again. Something will come and it will be huge. It is a matter of time. No point in worrying about it though now. Predictions are meaningless and a waste of time to debate about.

You stay sassy!

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Yes, when they come up with real AI, but i guess gaming will be the last thing on peoples minds by that era :)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Yes. If developers can introduce better AI that will make the game world feel more alive.. I think MMOs have the most potential of any game type. Dynamic Events as seen is GW2 just aren't good enough.. Something like the Radiant AI in Skyrim would be a nice starting point..

Human beings hand coding everything is just not a good strategy..

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

No, definitely not.  There is too much competition in the market today for MMOs to even grow that big.  Even if an MMO is better than WoW it won't grow as much as WoW did.  WoW released a good MMO at the perfect time which is why it grew so much.  

Just to give you an example of what a beast WoW is, it made more revenue in one month (September 2012) than GW2 made in its lifetime. You just can't compete with that.  No one can.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by GuyClinch
    Yes. If developers can introduce better AI that will make the game world feel more alive..

If the game world doesn't even feel alive with a massive amount of human beings playing the game... How will better AI help at all?

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    As successful as Wow? unlikely.  Much of wow success by design and by luck was pulling in demographics to the mmo sphere that weren't there before IE they increased the genres overall market share.   To date everyone chases everyone else in trying to cater to the exact same demographics witch means they all get a smaller and smaller piece of the same pie as more get added.   That along with big budgets + long design windows = no risk = no new market share

• SouthkryptSouthkrypt Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, When Blizzard makes Wow 2.0

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by davc123

There will be more successful MMOs. There already have been since WoW (GW2 / Eve for example).

However, given the current market, there will NOT be another MMO nearly as successful as WoW for quite some time. The primary reason for WoW's success, a fact many people on this forum especially seem to forget / overlook; is that WoW introduced an entirely new market of gamers to MMOs.

Before WoW, there were only a few hundred thousand gamers playing MMOs. ~1 mil users peak. That's not per game, that used to be the total market. Post-WoW? We now have literally 100's of millions of MMO gamers. Now, most of these gamers aren't nearly as dedicated to these games as the rest of us, but they are the primary contributing factor to WoW's success, and they were brought into this genre specifically by WoW.

As such, one of 2 things is going to have to happen to have another MMO with comparable success to WoW.

1) Gamer's need to start being comfortable with the idea of a new type of MMO gameplay, and start embracing / supporting new ideas.

2) The current MMO market will either have to shrink, or a larger market of gamers will need to become available to pull into the MMO genre.

At the present time, neither seem very likely, but both will inevitably happen given enough time.

Are you fooking kidding me?  1 million MMO players before WoW?  Lets just start with 2002:  EQ1 450k, FF XI  500k, SWG ~250k, DAoC ~250k, CoH ~150k, Lineage 1 ~ 3 million, and Lineage 2: ~1-2 million.  Thats just what I can think of off the charts.  

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    IMO, it's almost a take-it-to-the-bank guarantee that another MMO will eventually hit and surpass WoW in the West.  Eventually.  We're still in the early era of gaming and the first steps of figuring out what this MMO thing is at the moment.  There's a huge market of gamers out there left to be drawn in and the genre is one that has the potential to grab the interest of a lot more people than it does at present.  A masterpiece game, well-funded and marketed, magnificently designed with wide appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike could (and I believe will) turn the paradigm upside down again.  We may be past the era of 12 million subscribers, however.  But a game with at least that many active players would put it in the same category.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I highly doubt any MMO will be that successful. World of Warcraft introduced so many new players to the market - when MMOs were worlds, not just games. The phenomenon that propelled its popularity is dying. The games that followed and attempted to imitate it were failures and went free to play to regain some financial traction. The community became fragmented once they left World of Warcraft, no one game could retain that whole player base. 

I think pseudo-MMOs like Destiny might be able to hold ground, but the model that World of Warcraft set up doesn't seem to be reproducible. It was a cultural and financial fluke. Personally, I'm hoping for the genre to shrink some and have fewer games in it. I'm hoping to have the community experience I found in EQ1, WoW, and LoTRO. Here's to hoping the market corrects itself!

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Every record gets broken.  Maybe not any time soon but it will definitely happen.  Even if for no other reason than population growth rate.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by thecapitaine
    IMO, it's almost a take-it-to-the-bank guarantee that another MMO will eventually hit and surpass WoW in the West.  Eventually.  We're still in the early era of gaming and the first steps of figuring out what this MMO thing is at the moment.  There's a huge market of gamers out there left to be drawn in and the genre is one that has the potential to grab the interest of a lot more people than it does at present.  A masterpiece game, well-funded and marketed, magnificently designed with wide appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike could (and I believe will) turn the paradigm upside down again.  We may be past the era of 12 million subscribers, however.  But a game with at least that many active players would put it in the same category.

See I see it happening the opposite way.  I don't see some massive change on the horizon from inside the mmo sphere.  My guess is that other forms of gaming will start branching into the mmo sphere.  Particularly as social networking continues to expand.  Many of them at least have a track record of being able to actually target specific demographics while adding supporting game play elements to please them.  Mmo devs/pubs are merely in the business of treading water.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i hope not

i don't want more games for "the masses"

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by maplestone
    What definition of success are we using?  Runescape and Fantasy Westward Journey are examples of games which already surpassed WoW's peak in terms of number of active accounts years ago.

You really aren't very smart if you believe this? A free to play game that is overrun by bots that make 10k accounts a day because it costs nothing? Seriously?

The answer is no, WoW brought the MMO to the mainstream for better or worse. It did it at a time when few companies were able to put out an MMO so there was very little competition and it made MMO's accessible to non MMO fans which probably is a bad thing. The only way another game matches it in success is if the worlds population grows so much that the number becomes meaningless, kind of like how highest grossing movies work.