Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think my latency is getting me killed in Titan HM.

DritheDrithe Member UncommonPosts: 55

I can dodge Titan's AOEs COMPLETELY sometimes and still get killed. I can follow people and stand right beside them and I get smashed but they wont even be touched. One time, when the bombs went off, I was standing far away from them.   Everyone came to me. They did not get touched and I died.

The Titan used his slam one time. I was 10 feet away from it and one person was standing right in the middle of it. I got hit and he did not.

I have ATT and I might have to go to TIme Warner.

I am a pretty good gamer. No way in hell I suck this bad. I mean every other HM is easy mode to me.

All except Titan.  Well I had to be a little extra cautious with Garuda, but in the end she is a cake walk.

Guess I can level up other classes, because right now, I am getting nowhere with Titan. Period.

End of Line.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Don't think it's your ISP.

I have 2 different ones using two totally different technologies with totally different latencies - same thing on both.

It's all good up until P5, when I get smashed by every plume that spawns under me no matter what I do. I should FRAPS it just so we can all laugh at how ridiculous it is sometimes.

Some events seem to be worse than others. Titan/TitanHM are both really bad (the plumes in particular). The Isgebind in Stone Vigil really sticks in my mind, as it's similar when he's up in the air dropping the bombs and his frost breath comes and hits the screen.

I wonder if it's not some graphical effect causing some latency - like some video cards just can't process the plume effect in time or something (since it's not just a typical red circle). Seems these laggy events have "other than red circle" type AOE that also either lags, or causes the other effects to lag out as well.

It's not that I have a bad system (i920 with a 6970), but you don't have to have a bad system if the drivers or game have some crappy code.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Drithe

I can dodge Titan's AOEs COMPLETELY sometimes and still get killed. I can follow people and stand right beside them and I get smashed but they wont even be touched. One time, when the bombs went off, I was standing far away from them.   Everyone came to me. They did not get touched and I died.

The Titan used his slam one time. I was 10 feet away from it and one person was standing right in the middle of it. I got hit and he did not.

I have ATT and I might have to go to TIme Warner.

I am a pretty good gamer. No way in hell I suck this bad. I mean every other HM is easy mode to me.

All except Titan.  Well I had to be a little extra cautious with Garuda, but in the end she is a cake walk.

Guess I can level up other classes, because right now, I am getting nowhere with Titan. Period.

End of Line.

Would be nice just having them abandon the idea of difficulty based on playing hopscotch with stuff on the floor in this game.    Especially with the weird locations of their servers where latency + PC lag if your comp isn't high end is enough to negate half of what was supposed to be your "reaction time" to stepping out of the red.   With titan, it negates more like 3/4 or more of your reaction time since you have less time to "get out of the red" on his attacks vs ones from other encounters.

Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Would be nice just having them abandon the idea of difficulty based on playing hopscotch with stuff on the floor in this game.    Especially with the weird locations of their servers where latency + PC lag if your comp isn't high end is enough to negate half of what was supposed to be your "reaction time" to stepping out of the red.   With titan, it negates more like 3/4 or more of your reaction time since you have less time to "get out of the red" on his attacks vs ones from other encounters.

I don't mind the reaction-time stuff, in fact, I think it works rather well with their long GCD.

I just wish it worked consistently and as indicated.

There's nothing more infuriating that appearing to have successfully negotiated a mechanic, only to get hit by it anyway... and then to have everyone else in the group assume that you just didn't respond correctly, or correctly deduce that since it's not your fault your a liability rather than an asset and remove you or ask you to remove yourself, adds insult to injury.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Justsomenoob

I don't mind the reaction-time stuff, in fact, I think it works rather well with their long GCD.

I just wish it worked consistently and as indicated.

There's nothing more infuriating that appearing to have successfully negotiated a mechanic, only to get hit by it anyway... and then to have everyone else in the group assume that you just didn't respond correctly, or correctly deduce that since it's not your fault your a liability rather than an asset and remove you or ask you to remove yourself, adds insult to injury.

Unfortunately reaction time is negated by what I commented on above, where it's no longer reacting to anything but simply "You better be moving before the attack even starts else you're eating it"

• Solid_AltairSolid_Altair Member Posts: 27
    Is his AOE circular, or is it kind of a cone or rectangle in front of him? If it is not circular, it might help to just keep running in circles while you're meleeing him. I did this against a boss in a jungle guildhest. This boss had a fast AoE. Trying to see it and dodge it wasn't quick enough... I had to dodge pre-emptively. And do not trust on what you're seen on your screen. There is a huge lag compensation taking place. Yous ee your character moving as soon as you input the movement, but in truth (in the server, I suppose), there is a big latency and your character only moves quite a while later.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

it could be one of those that you have to ignore the red circle on the ground and instead watch the cast bar, most likely is getting caught out by some kind of graphical lag image

i've noticed a few times that the two don't always 'mesh' well, but im using an old GPU an nvidia 260 gtx, plan to upgrade in a few months but in the meantime having to run with what i haveimage

I figured it out.

It wasn't graphic settings - I tested that by going down to the default "Standard (Laptop)" setting (Normally I run on High (Desktop)). Although graphics settings does help some.

The trick -- when you move, you have to change direction after you are clear of the area of effect. Do a lil juke to the side once you are clear of the effect.

I remember having to do this in EQ, when the server would kinda lag when you were running, if you tried to cast a spell right after you stopped it wouldn't let you because it hadn't registered that you had stopped yet - but if you did a lil juke (changed direction) just slightly there, it forced the server to update, and lo and behold, it worked.

I went from getting hit by every single plume, to only getting hit when DPS were standing around me and getting so many stacks of plumes in the same spot you couldn't escape them.

Huge difference - it really helped.

Originally posted by Solid_Altair
    Is his AOE circular, or is it kind of a cone or rectangle in front of him? If it is not circular, it might help to just keep running in circles while you're meleeing him. I did this against a boss in a jungle guildhest. This boss had a fast AoE. Trying to see it and dodge it wasn't quick enough... I had to dodge pre-emptively. And do not trust on what you're seen on your screen. There is a huge lag compensation taking place. Yous ee your character moving as soon as you input the movement, but in truth (in the server, I suppose), there is a big latency and your character only moves quite a while later.

The titan effects are zone-wide (stomps), cone-ish (landslide, straight line effect from Titan to a player), or circular (plume - centered around several players, bombs- centered around static spawns).

Running around in circles is not really recommended, because the plumes spawn where players are, and if you have lots of chaotic motion (ie bards and monks and such spazzing out), the odds of having overlapping plumes goes up. You have just enough time to dodge your own plume (and if you get hit, your still likely to survive), but if several are all stacked up and overlapping to some degree - the area of effect goes up (because they all won't be perfectly overlapped on top of each other, they will be slopped all over the place based on wherever the players were at the time of the effect) and the damage gets additive when your on top of multiple plumes, so your almost certain to get hit, and that hit is almost certain to kill you.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

You can try this.  Fight regular mobs that do the red square thing, you can find them in every zone.  And pick different times when you jump out of the red box.  If you jump out as soon as you see that box, you will probably avoid that effect.  But if you wait a little while, you jump out but still get hit with the effect.

That is the server calculating where you were, not where you are.  It is probably less than a second, but it happens every time if you want.  Jump out at the last second, you get hit with the effect.

You can also do it in revers.  Jump IN at the last second , and even though that circle is still there you will avoid the effect 100% of the time.

So your moves and the server are not in sync.  There is that little delay that you can either use to your advantage (jumping in) or will hurt you (if you jump to close to the end of the animation).

On normal mobs, no big deal.  On most of them, you can just take the hit anyway and still plow through.  but on those boss mobs, you are toast.

You have to anticipate the red circle of doom and as soon as you see it, get out.  The problem is what happens when the circle is massive.  Takes a while to get out of that thing.  On some of those giant trees that do the slow and poison effects, they are so big that it is almost impossible to get out of the circle without getting hit.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

The problem is the AOE lagg that is caused by shitty netcode that only checks your postion every 300ms.  We have been talking about this on the official forums.

In effect  some people do not understand what is happening and will argue they don't have this issue when they are in fact compensating for it without knowing they are by strafing or moving before the attacks starts.

What happens is you have your net lag + your pc lagg if your pc isnt up to par plus a hidden positioning check lagg.

This is what happens  when they decide you need to perform action moves to evade attacks yet have their servers check your position every 300ms. Any kind of lagg due to server problems acerbates this issue.

Official SE forums thread about it

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

There is definitely a real lag problem, but there's something else that exasperates and confuses this issue.

From the link in Asm0deus' post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFfu0i89gpI   (second EDIT: link).

Pause as Titan's cast bar finishes (roughly 0:09 - 0:10); he's still in the plume. This specific example given (and being used by the OP in Asm0deus' link) is not lag, but rather, he simply did not dodge it in time (missed it by a split second).

I'm not downplaying the issue, it is definitely there. But people are confusing it with the dodging out of the marked zones in time / before the animation hit, but not realizing they failed to dodge before the cast bar finished, which is the only thing that matters.

TBH, it's asinine to me that the cast bar and the animation are so out of sync with each other, but for now it's something to keep in mind.

And I'll reiterate, I do not argue that the lag issue isn't there, as it is (I've had the cast bar appear already 25% filled in, even). but am just pointing out another issue that is exasperating all of this for people.