Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Regrets on missing an early MMORPG?

1235»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Over four years and you still can't see through his posts? Godspeed.

Not everyone has an intolerance in differences in opinions.

Oh, I have no problem with people who have different opinions. I welcome them. I simply see constant and insanely repetitive internet forum posts (as in your case) that are constructed solely for the purpose to get attention in a negative way to be distasteful at best and useless at worst.

You completely misunderstand me.

Distaste is a matter of opinion, and useless .... well ... forums are just entertainment. I am not aiming to be "useful". I doubt many are, but of course i speak only for myself.

Hey Nar, I assure you, you've succeeded at this this achievement.  image

It's late, shouldn't you be off playing a MOBA or something?  Me, I'm spell crafting an armor set, what's your excuse.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Kyleran

It's late, shouldn't you be off playing a MOBA or something?  Me, I'm spell crafting an armor set, what's your excuse.

I am multitasking.

I am reading a novel (just got it on my kindle app), working (nursing some analysis), and posting on forums. Gaming is not my only entertainment, nor i always focus on just doing one thing.

BTW, i don't play MOBA, but i probably will go back to Marvel Heroes some because they have new content. It is probably good for a couple of hours.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Oh well, perhaps the best thing to hope for is a new title to cut its own new legendary experience that we can enjoy.

What was the response of the Vet Crew when WoW did that? (Dismiss, denigrate, deny--right?)

Do you think the next game to 'score a win' will have a different fate at these hands?

MegaMonsterStop2027 scores 119 million sales!  ("YeOldeGame2000 was so much better, games today all suck, hasn't been a decent game in the last 27 years...".)

Pass me the Geritol Maw, I have to write another way back when post, if I can get this old clunker to boot up.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I regret not playing Ultima Online. However I did go ahead and try Asheron's Call shortly afterward, and that was a fine game. It got me hooked on the MMORPG genre.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I tried old MMOs but they were too boring. New ones like WoW, SWTOR, GW2, EVE and I sorta play Ryzom but it may not be solo friendly enough...those are a lot of fun :D

In EVE I traveled to 0.0 in a very very empty area, and make 50 million to 100 million ISK every 12 hours by ratting...by myself...if I do lose a ship, oh well, my ship is very cheap compared to what I get and I play completely free.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Sorien88Sorien88 Member Posts: 15

I think the biggest difference between these old games and the ones being pushed out today isn't combat or raid finders. It's the quality of the actual world.

I truly believe that old MMO's were trying to create a virtual world that they loved and wanted to live in. New MMO's are trying to create a money machine. Even with zones EQ felt like a living world and I think that is what kept people around. I haven't played a single MMO in the last 5 years (and I've played quite a goddamn few) where I felt that the developers tried to make a real virtual world.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Tried them all except i went and played UO when it was pretty long in the tooth so it didn't really hold my attention , when UO 2 got cancelled i was not a happy guy. I Tried UO out of nostaligia because i still remember ultima I
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Sorien88

I think the biggest difference between these old games and the ones being pushed out today isn't combat or raid finders. It's the quality of the actual world.

Yeah. New MMOs figure out that you don't need to focus on the virtual world to make a good game.

Personally i would much rather they make good instanced content.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Not a big on regrets kind of man, but I wish I tried the matrix online.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Since I played UO in at it's peak I didn't vote for it.  I'm so glad I experienced this game during those days.  It was an absolute blast.  I voted for SWG because I never got involved with it the way I would of liked.  I was too busy with life and missed out on the glory days of SWG.  I bet it was amazing!

Also, I think EQ1 would of been quite fun, but I was a UO fan so I never switched.

• xmojo1xmojo1 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by laserit
    I would have really like to have tried AC1. I remember anguishing over it in the software aisle many times. I decided against purchasing it because of my dial up connection.

I played AC1 for 6 years from its open beta, and about the first half of that time I was on dial-up;  I was getting on average 600ms pings, but the game was still playable regardless. I'm afraid you did miss out on a tremendously fun game.

• RaphRaph MMO DesignerMember UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Cuathon
    If you look at the votes, if you discount the people who just said show me the results, a solid 40-45% of people selected a Raph Koster game.

UO and SWG.

It is very flattering :)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Not a big on regrets kind of man, but I wish I tried the matrix online.

I loved the interlock combat system they had which allowed for bullet time moments.  There was also character progression/building that was similar to pre-NGE SWG.  It was a fun game but got very repetitive very quickly unfortunately.  It also was one of the first MMOs that actually tried to do a living story too (that I know of) but the Wachowski,..err "siblings" ran out of steam on writing the new content and let it die.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

One I regret missing is Matrix Online.  I've seen the world in the EMU and it's amazing, unfortunately almost all game mechanics are missing.  I wish I could have played.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Raph
    If you look at the votes, if you discount the people who just said show me the results, a solid 40-45% of people selected a Raph Koster game.

UO and SWG.

Any chance you could come back and make us something new?  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I started with AC1 never played UO or EQ also missed SWG after all these years seems the game im sorry ive missed beginning offcorse when it still was hardcore.

Then i started with AC2 and lineage 2 also started shadowbane at launch but that runned so crappy for me i quit after 1 week trying.

EQ 1 im still not sure i always hated EQ becouse i was fan of ac1 which was sandbox hardcore while EQ1 was for the casuals.

But i think after all these years reading and hearing about it maybe it was not so bad after all compare to crap released these days.

My most memorable moments in mmo's are still sandbox hardcore open pvp.

AC1-Darktide
    AC2-Darktide
    Lineage2
    and Darkfall 1

These are my most beloved mmo's.

Played AC2 for 3years Lineage 2 for 2.5years and Darkfall 1 also for 2.5 years.

Both Lineage2(botters) and Darkfall cheaters eventually where couse of quiting those games sadly enough.

Ive tried wow for couple of months at launch and AoC both terible games i never went back to.

Oh and around 5 months with friend who was guild wars fan i played GW2 but also big dissapointment.

I also regret not played Saga of Ryzom more but when i started not long after it shut down and i started with solo games again which im also doing now no mmo's for me anymore becouse OLD DAYS never comeback i realise that.

I leave the mmo's to new generation ill stick with solo games mainly rpg's.

The Witcher 3 biggest on my wishlist.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by xmojo1
    Originally posted by laserit I would have really like to have tried AC1. I remember anguishing over it in the software aisle many times. I decided against purchasing it because of my dial up connection.
    I played AC1 for 6 years from its open beta, and about the first half of that time I was on dial-up;  I was getting on average 600ms pings, but the game was still playable regardless. I'm afraid you did miss out on a tremendously fun game.

I was also on dial up with AC1 but i got prolly 20k ms sometimes im from europe i quit i started i quit i started that was my first year AC1 still enjoyed it alot when i could play, still love it but im real love came for ac when AC2 came i had adsl connect nomore annoying dialup and could play some decent PVP on darktide.

Played in 2002 ac1-lineage2-soldiers of fortune 2 and morrowind sometimes i sleep 2-3 hours a night omg those where the times with lanpartys at my friends house was awesome.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

EQ 1 im still not sure i always hated EQ becouse i was fan of ac1 which was sandbox hardcore while EQ1 was for the casuals.

You probably missed on EQ1 then. EQ was way more hardcore than AC, it isn't even close. AC was easy to solo and the group based content was not all that strong. Even the PvP in AC was more casual as EQ opened with item loot instead of being able to guard your items with cash drops. AC was WAY more casual than EQ.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Raph

UO and SWG.

Any chance you could come back and make us something new?  image

not in this climate.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by Ender4

EQ was way more hardcore than AC, it isn't even close. AC was easy to solo and the group based content was not all that strong. Even the PvP in AC was more casual as EQ opened with item loot instead of being able to guard your items with cash drops. AC was WAY more casual than EQ.

I will admit that I never played EQ. But I do know a bit about that game and I'm going to take issue with you on this one. If you want to define "hardcore" as sitting around on your butt for weeks at a time waiting for a loot drop, then maybe. But if you instead look at the complexity and size of AC 1's world vs. EQ - AC 1's random loot generation, its skill based character system, dungeons probably numbering over 100, the vassal system, its combat damage type and resist system, the depth of the economy (based on cash, keys, motes, shards, etc.), its complex and involved magic system, the tinkering system, potions and cooking...., achh I could go on but I'm running out of breath.

Perhaps EQ could be looked at as the "hardcore" themepark predecessor to WoW and all its easy mode clones. But I believe that AC1 was a league apart from EQ in the number of different options for play and exploration which it offered. And that has more to do with what real hardcore means. At least to me.

(P.S. If you're the Ender who plays bitcoin poker at SWC, say hi to seamutt the next time you see him. I won't hold your abominable love for themepark games against you!)