Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming Back To WoW? Or Am I To Late? EQ Next/WildStar Online Coming Before 2015

I played World of Warcraft 3 different times in my life and logged 452 hours on it. I started out with Retail in summer 2008 and got bored of it within 3 months, well I was stuck and kept dying against these orc NPC's as a night elf but I knew they were beyond my level. I then played on a private server 2 different times and quit within 2-3 months. Private servers had more bugs and not all raids/battlegorunds were there.

[mod edit]

So my only choice now is WoW instead of all the clones and Everquest is to old with dated graphics anyway. Should I come back to WoW? I like PVE content but I enjoy PVP more and Emerald Dream is a high pop PVP server with an almost even number of Horde and Alliance so it would be perfect to play on.

I am just worried that it will be a waste returning and I will get bored within 2-3 months and quit wow again. WildStar Online looks like a good wow replacement but what I don't like about that damn game is the pixar animation style which looks PATHETIC, I don't mind the character models so much but they went over board , even the game world has that plain stupid looking pixar animation style.

ESO is a restrictive mmo that limits all pvp to Cryodiil even though I love elder scrolls skyrims gameplay, I don't wanna play a MMO where I can't even see the enemy faction in their territory and if I wanna pvp I can only do it in Cryodiil.

In the end the only good fantasy MMO's that might be great are Everquest Next and Blizzards Unknown Project Titan.

I am already enjoying Planetside 2 so if I added WoW to the list that is 2 mmo's already, and when EQ Next comes out that will be 3! I don't know how anyone can play more than 2 mmo's at one time, especially if you have a job or go to school.

Well I am downloading the free trial of WoW now, but is the free trial and accurate way to see if you like the game or not? It only goes up to Level 20 which is stupid! Blizzard should have offered a free month or at least a free week with wow but they want your money so I guess I will buy a time card first if I like the trial.

Have any of you gone back to WoW and stuck with it?

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its a fun casual experience, i joined last month, and having lots of fun with my undead monk...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Macrinus101

I played World of Warcraft 3 different times in my life and logged 452 hours on it. I started out with Retail in summer 2008 and got bored of it within 3 months, well I was stuck and kept dying against these orc NPC's as a night elf but I knew they were beyond my level. I then played on a private server 2 different times and quit within 2-3 months. Private servers had more bugs and not all raids/battlegorunds were there.

[mod edit]

So my only choice now is WoW instead of all the clones and Everquest is to old with dated graphics anyway. Should I come back to WoW? I like PVE content but I enjoy PVP more and Emerald Dream is a high pop PVP server with an almost even number of Horde and Alliance so it would be perfect to play on.

I am just worried that it will be a waste returning and I will get bored within 2-3 months and quit wow again. WildStar Online looks like a good wow replacement but what I don't like about that damn game is the pixar animation style which looks PATHETIC, I don't mind the character models so much but they went over board , even the game world has that plain stupid looking pixar animation style.

ESO is a restrictive mmo that limits all pvp to Cryodiil even though I love elder scrolls skyrims gameplay, I don't wanna play a MMO where I can't even see the enemy faction in their territory and if I wanna pvp I can only do it in Cryodiil.

In the end the only good fantasy MMO's that might be great are Everquest Next and Blizzards Unknown Project Titan.

I am already enjoying Planetside 2 so if I added WoW to the list that is 2 mmo's already, and when EQ Next comes out that will be 3! I don't know how anyone can play more than 2 mmo's at one time, especially if you have a job or go to school.

Well I am downloading the free trial of WoW now, but is the free trial and accurate way to see if you like the game or not? It only goes up to Level 20 which is stupid! Blizzard should have offered a free month or at least a free week with wow but they want your money so I guess I will buy a time card first if I like the trial.

Have any of you gone back to WoW and stuck with it?

Your post comes across as pretty chaotic so it is hard to tell what you are looking for exactly in WoW. In my opinion, and in answer to the title of this thread, it is never too late to get into WoW. It is perhaps the most welcoming game on the market for (relative) newcomers and one of the easiest to get up to speed to long term players, especially if you have already gotten used to the combat from similar games or your previous forays into the game.

The free trial is too limited to really make a seriously informed decision. You just get enough of a flavour of the gameworld and its mechanics to see if you like it enough to subscribe. If you buy the box though you get a free month.

I have come back to WoW over and over again. I unsub when I get tired of it or have to do away work and then come back and play like crazy. I am currently playing like crazy after a 6 month hiatus due to work. I come back for its lore, world, dungeons (they still seem to produce the best instanced dungeons), classes, and funny quests. The game is a real joy to play but not for people who like realism, seriousness, and have extreme hardcore goals and want to treat it as a job like in the past. It has opened up for many different types of playstyles though I guess the hardcore crowd don't like it that much anymore.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    WoW is still the best thing out there today. No mmos that came after WoW get it right. I resubbed to WoW about a week ago after a year off. Emerald Dream server is where I play. The game runs smooth and it's fast lvling if you do dungeons. or if you want to take your time you can just quest and see the world.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I bounce back to WoW with each expansion or major patch and try to do some of the content. I haven't been able to stick with raiding since WOTLK, but mostly because I no longer have a guild or a desire to hunt for one until WildStar. From what I've seen, the newer raiding content looks pretty fun and if I had time, I'd probably be playing it.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44

I was playing the trial as a Worgan and I got bored after reaching Level 7. I know the game really starts when you reach max level since you star a lot of raiding at that time but still, this game is old and generic and it is nothing but an EverQuest clone, every MMORPG that has that same old generic tab targetting gameplay where you have no control over your weapon, you just press an attack and it does it all for you, these are all EverQuest Clones.

Reason why games are refered to as WoW clones instead is because WoW is the most successful MMO ever made. Still, I played WoW in the past, once on retail and was bored within 3 months, I reached max level on 2 private servers and each time I played I lost interest in 2-3 months. I do not think WoW is for me, a generic gear based over-rated Everquest clone, no thank you.

I always wanted to play a fantasy MMO that has gameplay like Skyrim, ESO will have gamepaly like this but the major problem with ESO is that all PVP will be limited to Cyrodiil and you can't see the enemy faction or have open world pvp in every other continent. Due to this, I probably won't play ESO.

For Fantasy MMO's in development that are not WoW clones, this leaves WildStar Online, Everquest Next and Black Desert Online. I think I will really enjoy Wild Star and EQ Next, these 2 games will be great WoW killers. Wild Star Online has developers from Blizzard working on it, it is similar to WoW since it has Instanced Dungeons, Open World PVP and Arenas. It has better graphics, gameplay and warplots game mode along with player housing, it will be a great game! EQ Next will be even better.

The only way I see WoW making a come back is if the game re-invents itself with new gameplay. New gameplay as in an optional first person view where you see your weapon and action/skill based combat, similar to Skyrim where you actually have control over your melee weapon and can block with your shield and aiming with Mages would be like an FPS, this will probably never happen though and WoW will continue being an over-rated EQ Clone.

Due to all these reasons all I can say is SCREW WORLD OF WARCRAP, I Uninstalled it and I am never returning to this over-rated pile of crap again, as a former Everquest Player, WoW completely ripped that game off so screw them.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Hm
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I was playing the trial as a Worgan and I got bored after reaching Level 7. I know the game really starts when you reach max level since you star a lot of raiding at that time but still, this game is old and generic and it is nothing but an EverQuest clone, every MMORPG that has that same old generic tab targetting gameplay where you have no control over your weapon, you just press an attack and it does it all for you, these are all EverQuest Clones.

Reason why games are refered to as WoW clones instead is because WoW is the most successful MMO ever made. Still, I played WoW in the past, once on retail and was bored within 3 months, I reached max level on 2 private servers and each time I played I lost interest in 2-3 months. I do not think WoW is for me, a generic gear based over-rated Everquest clone, no thank you.

I always wanted to play a fantasy MMO that has gameplay like Skyrim, ESO will have gamepaly like this but the major problem with ESO is that all PVP will be limited to Cyrodiil and you can't see the enemy faction or have open world pvp in every other continent. Due to this, I probably won't play ESO.

For Fantasy MMO's in development that are not WoW clones, this leaves WildStar Online, Everquest Next and Black Desert Online. I think I will really enjoy Wild Star and EQ Next, these 2 games will be great WoW killers. Wild Star Online has developers from Blizzard working on it, it is similar to WoW since it has Instanced Dungeons, Open World PVP and Arenas. It has better graphics, gameplay and warplots game mode along with player housing, it will be a great game! EQ Next will be even better.

The only way I see WoW making a come back is if the game re-invents itself with new gameplay. New gameplay as in an optional first person view where you see your weapon and action/skill based combat, similar to Skyrim where you actually have control over your melee weapon and can block with your shield and aiming with Mages would be like an FPS, this will probably never happen though and WoW will continue being an over-rated EQ Clone.

Due to all these reasons all I can say is SCREW WORLD OF WARCRAP, I Uninstalled it and I am never returning to this over-rated pile of crap again, as a former Everquest Player, WoW completely ripped that game off so screw them.

Ok and after this post I will never reply to one of your threads ever again. This whole bait-and-switch thread is like a troll post. You should have already had an idea that WoW was not your style of game rather than wasting people's time asking questions about it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58
    If you do decide to go back.My advice is,Do not touch your high level chars at all.I f you do,it will just get you into the gear pressure spiral.Have to do this and that.You burnout in a week.Start a new char,no heirlooms,guilds etc.Just take your time,and have fun.I did that a while ago,it was refreshing.
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

I'm an active WoW player, since launch.  Although with the odd break, I'm also in a guild progression raiding team.

I personally wouldn't recommend it, other than if you are joining friends, simply for something to do.  The game has become more shallow over time, with content becoming easier.  Not saying a cake walk, just not that challenging.  While I'd not say it's dying, as there's still millions playing, it is showing its age and is hemoraging subscriptions.  There is speculation, the next expansion may be the last major one.  Based on it appearing to push max level to 100, which Blizzard said long ago is the expected stop point.  Also with Titan on its way, this would give them a two year window to launch.

Leveling can be interesting in places, but mostly it's viewed as an inconvienace to reach end game.   End game, as it currently is, has adopted the Diablo model.  There is one raid, repeated on LFR, Flex, Normal and HC.  Yes there are older raids, but since you can gear from the new island for entry level gear (for the latest raid LFR), by simply opening random chests and killing mobs.  They are kind of pointless.  Incidentally the new island is nothing more than a mob farming area.

One might ask why I've not left and to be honest it's simply down to the guild I'm in.  We enjoy hanging out, but so far this is our only common game.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I returned to WOW after almost two years away. I player for a straight 5.5 years. I never really thought I would return, however after a couple years in RIFT and remaining in EQ2 for a total of 8 years I decided to return to WOW a few months ago and I am loving it again. 

The end game gear grind as it is called does not bother me since I never did much of that when I was originally playing. The LFR allows me to casually raid and while some of those groups are dysfunctional it is mostly a lot of fun. I also started pvping a lot and loving that too. I started a couple new toons for questing and since I left before cataclysm I am enjoying the new lay of the land. 

So I have returned, having a great time, has stayed with it, and plan on staying with it for awhile longer. It was not to late for me but I did approach it as a new experience and accepted it for what it is now. I think that is the key to enjoy a return, play it for what it is not what it was or what you want it to be.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it's never too late for any mmo image

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Well so far nothing has usurped WoW. With the amount of stuff there is to do in WoW... I see no reason for that this trend will not continue.
  • infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Nadia

Time to start playing Tabula Rasa!

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by infofront
    Originally posted by Nadia

Time to start playing Tabula Rasa!

I actually enjoyed Tabula Rasa :(

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Well step 1 is to play the free trial. You can get to level 20, on multiple characters if you wish.

And whilst level 20 is well below the maximum level  but it isn't something you can do in an hour. For anyone who hasn't tried WoW it is certainly significant enough to decide if they want to play. In your (the op's) case it will either confirm that you don't like it or confirm that you might want to give it another go.

Nor is WoW all about raid content either. There are a lot of "interesting" quest lines right from the start. (Some poor ones as well :) Usually you have to complete all - or nearly all - of the quests in a zone to get to some "epic" conclusion. And you can still do these even if you out level the zone. So getting to level 20 doesn't have to be the end of your trial.

Should you join a guild? Well there is no actual need initially. You certainly won't have a problem joining a guild the problem is finding one that is "active" these days. And even if you find an active guild don't expect to join the inner circle right away. Bottomline: finding a decent guild is a problematic, long term project. When you start you should probably think of WoW as a single player games unless you start with a group of friends.

OK you have tried the trial and have either decided to quit or to try it further. If the latter you buy the game and from that point have 30 days to assess things.

First thing to understand: whilst leveling a character isn't hard it can be a lot harder than you might think from reading posts about how easy it is. Your first character will have no money, no hand me downs from established characters; you will have little idea of what your character can do, how to play your character, how to beat mobs etc.

Mu suggestion: enter a zone when you attain the minimun level and do all the quests in that zone. The quest lines will usually gear up your character, they will get easier as you level and - depending on the zone - you will usually unlock an "epic" quest at the end. Don't worry about passing the upper limit for the zone - which will probably happen.

Rinse and repeat. All you can do really. 

Don't try and fight mobs that are to hard when you don't know how the game works; you will die a lot and get disheartened. You may die a lot anyway but if you enter an area that is too high for you mobs will find and kill you! When you know what you are doing, have money etc. different story.

Will yo uget to 90 in 30 days? Well it depends how many hours a day you play. You could but you probably won't. Either way you should have an idea of whether you want to play further. And a point about level 90: it isn't the end point just another start. Patch 5.4 makes it easier for new level 90s to catch up but the gap between new level 90 and established 90 is huge. 

Final word about guilds. You can do all the content without a guild although the harder versions of the raids need groups - often found in guilds. So if you do a 30 day stint you should be looking to join a guild, keep an eye on them for a few days, see what they do -  and if they are inactive leave. Population is an issue these days and finding an active guild will be an issue. And even if its an active guild it has to be one that lets "new players" participate. Don't expect it to be easy.