Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to DPS in FFXIV

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

ITT: Elitist rage

You have to remember not everyone grew up on MMO's some people on the console. Most people will listen to you if you explain what to do. Seems like you'd rather sit on your high horse then explain mechanics to new people though. Going into an instance with the attitude you have is a poor idea. Maybe PUGs aren't for you.

In what way is the OP raging like an elitist? He gave very basic tips to dps that should be common sense, it doesnt matter if this is someones first mmo or not, tips are tips. It's not like he was name calling or calling people downright retarded for not following them.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

You have to remember not everyone grew up on MMO's some people on the console. Most people will listen to you if you explain what to do. Seems like you'd rather sit on your high horse then explain mechanics to new people though. Going into an instance with the attitude you have is a poor idea. Maybe PUGs aren't for you.

I don't know what he said is really considered elitist rage or not but I certainly find pve rage laughable.

You are playing against AI lol. Calm down.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    As a paladin main, I gotta say, good post from OP hehe.  I think people haven't played a MMO where you had to worry about agro in awhile.
  • PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

In what way is the OP raging like an elitist? He gave very basic tips to dps that should be common sense, it doesnt matter if this is someones first mmo or not, tips are tips. It's not like he was name calling or calling people downright retarded for not following them.

Pretty much this.

I decided to use FF14 to get some more practice with tanking, since I rolled DPS in most games, but on one hand wanted something more, and on the other hand like ability to be more useful to my party. The insta-queues are nice too at that.

Most the time I run dungeons with two friends, one being pretty good heals, the other seasoned dps. So only one pug at a time, but still we find people who simply will not learn from their mistakes. During ifrit, I had an archer who was pulling so much aggro that my flash, provoke and shield lobs were doing nothing whatsoever to peel from that guy. He just kept dpsing until I finally got the mob back. I think i lost this mob 2-3 more times to the archer, and he just kept dpsing hardcore.

Of course who didn't kill the nail the first time around despite me marking it? Yup, the archer.

So yeah, some good, honest advice in the OP. The dungeons so far are anything but hard and easy to understand, so people really need to pay a little more attention to at least the very basic mechanics.

• Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I play a healer and use the DF quite regularly.  I have to say the most ignorant tools I have run into have all been tanks.  Many are clueless on how to hold hate or they don't even try because they want to teach the overeager dps a lesson rather than 'splain it to them.  There are definitely some good tanks to be found via the duty finder but those are the ones that are calm and take the time to explain to everyone what to do to make the run easier for us all.  Not dumbasses that would afk and waste everyones time because they are too immature to work with someone that is not perfect.
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by Grailer

Lately I've been seeing some of the worst DPS that I've seen in 15 years of gaming .

So as I sit AFK at start of dungeon refusing to tank with players who are blantantly trying to make my gaming experience hell. ( I could leave but why should I get 15 minute penalty ? )

So what  to do as DPS .

Tips:

1.  When you see numbers on top of mobs that the tank has marked  , and the tank is hitting those numbers in order you also hit those numbers in order.

2. When tank runs towards mobs that doesn't mean open fire as fast as possible on any random creature , give tank time to hit the mob at leave once .

3. If you take agro because you didn't follow tip number 1 or 2 above, don't start doing MORE dps and think "YEAH BABY IM TANKING WOOHOO!"  , instead you should cease DPS on that mob until the tank regains agro .

4. If healer sleeps a mob that the tank isn't fighting that doesn't mean "WOOHOO TIME TO ANNOY THE HEALER" and hit that target.  It means you follow tip 1 and 2 .

I have a lot more tips but those are the basics .

I'm playing as a BLM and you could easily make this list for any class in the game. That being said, I don't disagree with you. I have seen this behaviour.

Tanks - it's your job to get aggro. Don't get aggro on one mob and leave the rest to attack your healer. It's even worse when I sleep the mobs attacking the healer and then the other DPS or the healer himself attacks those mobs. Also, I have played with two kinds of tanks. One, I can open fire on his target and never have to worry about getting aggro, even if I tried. The other, are the ones that can't hold aggro at all. Healer of DPS will always end up getting smoked even if they just stand there. Also, Tanks should always mark their damn targets. I'm not a mind reader and if you suddenly decide to switch to another target I'm not always going to notice right away. Then, because I can't see what the hell is going on because of all the awesome effects and nothing is marked - I have to tab through the targets to see which ones health is dropping. 

Healer - it's not your job to tank or do DPS. Concentrate on keeping yourself, the tank and finally the 2 DPS alive. If possible, do a little CC.

DPS - you pretty much said it all OP. 

Some general suggestions:

All non-Tanks classes, if you do get aggro, run to the damn tank. If he hasn't noticed you have something on you, run on over and show him and likely he will take care of it.

Every job that can pick up a healing skill - should. I can't tell you the number of times having Physick on my mage has saved my ass when the healer wasn't paying attention or on those occasions when the Tank has a hard time. 

When a window pops up with instructions, read them. It is explaining the fight mechanics to you so someone doesn't have to explain it to you after you wipe 4 times because you didn't know to stay out of the red spots, or not kill the enemy that needs to die first.

Regardless of your class, learn to play it. People will like playing with you and you'll get to successfully experience more of the game without people rage quitting on you.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Apparently tanks can only hold agro on 1 enemy out of a set of mobs at a time. Don't use AoEs because  tanks don't like chewing gum and walking at the same time.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Another tip since I am now playing tank too:

* If your tank is able to keep AoE aggro and survive, then use your AoE skills and do not use knockback abilities to make one enemy get out of AoE range.

Originally posted by Dragonsfire9
    I play a healer and use the DF quite regularly.  I have to say the most ignorant tools I have run into have all been tanks.  Many are clueless on how to hold hate or they don't even try because they want to teach the overeager dps a lesson rather than 'splain it to them.  There are definitely some good tanks to be found via the duty finder but those are the ones that are calm and take the time to explain to everyone what to do to make the run easier for us all.  Not dumbasses that would afk and waste everyones time because they are too immature to work with someone that is not perfect.

There are also tanks who don't speak a word about mechanics, and only explain when there is an actual failure :)

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

There are also tanks who don't speak a word about mechanics, and only explain when there is an actual failure :)

Because people dont know how to speak up and say "hey i'm new and dont know the fights"

If no one says anything, its assumed you know the fight.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Because people dont know how to speak up and say "hey i'm new and dont know the fights"

If no one says anything, its assumed you know the fight.

I saw it is a more positive thing: they don't want to spoil the fight, so they choose to not speak until you actually wipe XD.

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

Anytime there is a player like OP in my PUG, I dont handle it delicately or try to keep the peace, I antagonize them more. I havent had one single tank or healer last more than 3 minutes after I start on them. Without fail, they have some futile rage menstruation cycle thing and drop group. And without fail me and the remaining players will talk about how pathetic they are whilst we wait for a new...whatever.

Yeah, cross server grouping so it doesnt really matter, its only a matter of time before these peoples names are garbage on their own server. If they're so good, where is their guild at anyways? I thought uber awesome guys were supposed to run in massive guilds that have people on 24/7? No? Then stfu, you're not good.

I know how to play my class too, but dont think for a second that this type of attitude is limited to simply anger over aggro mechanics or something for it to really start showing. Its a social disease, and scarcely needs a reason to show its face. I guess I just like exposing how small your egos really are for my own personal amusement. I dont care about this stupid dungeon were about to do. Whatever display you're going to put on is no doubt infinitely more interesting than killing a boss for 3rd time today. Have your little meltdown, we'll wait.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

Simple. This is nothing but an angry post. He quits playing because new players don't listen to him. most people that are new don't even come to these forums so his "tips" are not of much use. I'd be willing to bet most people on these forums know how to not steal aggro and dps properly.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    I would also like to add that I prefer playing with newbs than with elitist jerks. I rather play with someone who is clueless but is willing to learn than with an elitlist a-hole that trash talks your every move.

This, I find it alot more fun.  Who cares if i wipe, as long as i'm having fun.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

I would also like to add that I prefer playing with newbs than with elitist jerks. I rather play with someone who is clueless but is willing to learn than with an elitlist a-hole that trash talks your every move.
    AMEN good sir
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

Anytime there is a player like OP in my PUG, I dont handle it delicately or try to keep the peace, I antagonize them more. I havent had one single tank or healer last more than 3 minutes after I start on them. Without fail, they have some futile rage menstruation cycle thing and drop group. And without fail me and the remaining players will talk about how pathetic they are whilst we wait for a new...whatever.

Yeah, cross server grouping so it doesnt really matter, its only a matter of time before these peoples names are garbage on their own server. If they're so good, where is their guild at anyways? I thought uber awesome guys were supposed to run in massive guilds that have people on 24/7? No? Then stfu, you're not good.

I know how to play my class too, but dont think for a second that this type of attitude is limited to simply anger over aggro mechanics or something for it to really start showing. Its a social disease, and scarcely needs a reason to show its face. I guess I just like exposing how small your egos really are for my own personal amusement. I dont care about this stupid dungeon were about to do. Whatever display you're going to put on is no doubt infinitely more interesting than killing a boss for 3rd time today. Have your little meltdown, we'll wait.

Don't worry mate , whatever stunt you pull I've seen it all .   I just alt tab and watch a movie or play a few hands of online poker  , there is a lot of things I can do that are more fun that don't require me to quit a group . The funny things is  I know that getting another tank would take a lot longer than 15 minutes so quiting group would probably be the end of the group anyway. Not many tanks click join a party in progress because they don't have to they get group instantly regardless .

Right now Ive been in dungeon finder DPS que for over 30 minutes,   I've qued for 3 dungeons . So troll away my DPS friend the only time you are wasting is your own .   

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by acidblood
    1.  When you see numbers on top of mobs that the tank has marked  , and the tank is hitting those numbers in order you also hit those numbers in order. Actually you hit those numbers in order regardless of what the tank is doing; good tanks don't get target fixation. 2. When tank runs towards mobs that doesn't mean open fire as fast as possible on any random creature , give tank time to hit the mob at leave once .You mean 'at *least* once', but yeah, DO NOT get the first hit in, and DO NOT front load your damage (looking at Archers especially), open with DoTs / debuffs / CC, and use the enmity meters (over class icons on the party UI). Pulling aggro at the start just makes tank waste time running around that could be spent building enmity, and ultimately the encounter takes longer.3. If you take agro because you didn't follow tip number 1 or 2 above, don't start doing MORE dps and think "YEAH BABY IM TANKING WOOHOO!"  , instead you should cease DPS on that mob until the tank regains agro .
    You forget DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM THE TANK (ideally stop attacking and run at them), seriously, I WILL let you die. The one caveat to this is if a mob is almost dead (like 2-3 hits), then just finish it off.

4. If healer sleeps a mob that the tank isn't fighting that doesn't mean "WOOHOO TIME TO ANNOY THE HEALER" and hit that target.  It means you follow tip 1 and 2 .

Yep, you wake it you tank it, and again, I WILL let you die.

Pretty much exactly. So simple, yet people (even after being taught) still refuse to do it. And yes, I too have no issue letting a Dps die.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Another tip since I am now playing tank too:

* If your tank is able to keep AoE aggro and survive, then use your AoE skills and do not use knockback abilities to make one enemy get out of AoE range.

Funny you mention that , Ive seen a lot of healers use that knockback ability for no reason at all ,  they just walk up to mob a tank is hitting and knock it back .. weird lol .

Some tips :  If you are warrior use cross class ability Flash when mobs are asleep since it will get agro and not break sleep to keep healer from getting wtfpwned when sleep breaks .

You only really need to put 1 number on mobs   .  The one you are tanking  ,  unless DPS is using AOE in which you don't need any numbers at all .

I hotkey sign 1  so I'll switch targets just before they die so dps can pick up next mob .  Remember only 1 mob will show up on the dps list at the left hand side whereas the tank should have a list of all the mobs if they use flash or overpower.

Cycling through the mobs you will see next to healer name the agro on them will go up every heal , so for every heal or 2 you should use flash or OP . 

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

Healers have it tough in this game. However running to the tank is the best advice, put the tank between you and the mob. For tanks, communicate with your team, let them know that you'll be using a kill order. What's really bad about dps doing random killing, is it puts the healer in jeopardy.

Last but not least, don't be an ass when explaining what to do. Not everyone has played mmos, and you have to communicate for the lowest common factor. I think the biggest problem with random groups is communication, either the lack of, or really harsh, anti-social tones.

Personally I think there is a need to seperate new, casual, progression, and farm.  Often time elitism ruins the game for everyone else, to the point where no one wants to listen to any one.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm constantly amazed at how many tanks don't know how Flash works.

I've lost count of the times i see tanks hit this ability before engaging mobs or even being anywhere near them.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by TheSlither

I have also tip for you:

Play with friends not with pugs.

But, but I play mmos because I dont have any friends :(

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

It's DPS. How can anyone stuff that up? Wait for tank to get agro, attack marked mobs in order. The easiest role in a game. You'd think people would know.

I don't like tanking unless it's a dungeon I've done before. I always do a shield chuck before a flash I hope that's right. I only usualy do a tank class when solo'ing or open world.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by MagikrorriM

Healers have it tough in this game. However running to the tank is the best advice, put the tank between you and the mob. For tanks, communicate with your team, let them know that you'll be using a kill order. What's really bad about dps doing random killing, is it puts the healer in jeopardy.

Last but not least, don't be an ass when explaining what to do. Not everyone has played mmos, and you have to communicate for the lowest common factor. I think the biggest problem with random groups is communication, either the lack of, or really harsh, anti-social tones.

Personally I think there is a need to seperate new, casual, progression, and farm.  Often time elitism ruins the game for everyone else, to the point where no one wants to listen to any one.

My first mistake as tank was not marking target ,  once I marked target(s)  everything became a lot easier .

You really only need to mark 1 target . And just keep marking them as they die .

Things only go bad when dps refuse to kill the marked targets first .  Sadly it is the healers who heal the DPS which causes even greater threat who end up tanking , at low levels anyways .

Also healers who don't use sleep are causing more agro than they need to because they have to heal more when tank is getting beat up by 3 mobs at once .

As DPS you really are at a disadvantage when it comes to grouping because if you play stupid and the tank leaves its back into the 1 hr que while tank is back with probably better group in about 15 mins . 

Reason I will leave group usually if I die on trash pulls more than once when I have over geared dungeon .

Senario:

DPS who run forward of tank pulling agro which causes them to take damage , the healer then heals them ,  the mobs run towards healer  and hit the healer ,  usually tank will try pick them up but by that time the healer is chain healing themselves which causes massive agro , the dps all jump in since nothing is marked its chaos and just a mess which could've been avoided. 

Usually if the above scenario happens more than a few times ,  its not worth playing on, more fun watching some youtube or reading forums while the 15 min debuff ticks away  .

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by MagikrorriM

Last but not least, don't be an ass when explaining what to do. Not everyone has played mmos, and you have to communicate for the lowest common factor. 

This. While playing as DPS I've encountered many bad tanks that act all high and mighty because since their role is important they feel like the star of the show and are allowed to only crap on others but not actually communicate. 

When I join a dungeon in progress as a tank, I ask why the tank left and is always about some whatever drama, tank blaming the healer or some DPS and ragequitting the first moment everything is not 100% perfect.  Sorta like OP. If I end up finishing that dungeon with that exact party all it means to me was that the tank was just bad at his job and putting all the blame on others and I did end up finishing the dungeon much more times than I've failed it. 

I feel sorry sometimes for these guys that were bailed out from some drama queen tank because I know how long it takes to get a pug going when I'm DPS. 

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by Bluewhitehell
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I think the problem is you have a lot of new people playing an MMO for the first time because of the console crossover.

Actually I would say the problem more lay with all the older MMO players who have just gotten used to games where tank threat is infinite and you can just bulldoze through trash, and where the Recount readout means more than winning or losing the dungeon/raid (cough*wow*cough).

Tanks don't have the same toolset here that exists in other games. I usually tank in other games, I can't figure it out in this one yet. I have a healthy respect for those who can tank well in spite of the toolset and in spite of the players - they are clearly better players than I am.

Play marauder/warrior - use AoE attack, when TP is 0, use glad flash. You will never lose aggro.

This, tank and DPS should be AoE attacking the mob in lower level dungeons, you won't die as DPS if you AoE attack mobs unless healer suck, you're just killing everything slower if you kill mobs one by one.

It gets a lot more dangerous after level 35~40+ to AoE everything though, that's when you kill mobs one by one. In lv 50 speed runs, back to AoE everything again.

If a healer is healing a DPS for any reason other than the DPS was hit by an UNAVOIDABLE skill - the DPS is at fault.  Period.

Not really, unless DPS went all out before tank even start 1st enmity skill. Then it's DPS's fault.

I can't speak for higher level dungeon, since my tank job isn't that high. But in lower lv dungeon I have no issue getting every mob aggro and keep every mob targeting me only. If DPS isn't using AoE and kill mobs one by one, or even worse, sleep them and waste time, I got angry because they're just killing everything slower.

I don't see a need to sleep mobs and kill them in 123 123  order in lower level dungeons. Tank should get every mob aggro, DPS should kill every mob at once. You're going to finish a dungeon way faster.