Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Path of Exile: The New Scion Class and End of Act 3

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

With Path of Exile's official release just around the corner on October 23rd, we caught up with Grinding Gears to take a look at the new Scion class, the all new end of Act 3, and all the new features in the launch build.

Players will also be getting a few new areas to explore. The garden will have you face off against a slew of new creatures including the Porcupine Goliath that looks like a cross between the Violator from the Spawn comics series and sonic the hedgehog, and the Root Spider, which is an extremely ugly looking arachnid-like monster that pops up out of the ground and shoots giant, red, magical balls of pain at you. The library will be the area that players who love game lore will want to explore, as many tomes and ancient texts have been strewn about the area for those interested in brushing up on their imaginary history. Then there’s the end game area, The Sceptre of God, which will have players going through the arduous task of taking out the final boss. 

Read the rest of Blake Morse's Path of Exile: The New Scion Class and End of Act 3.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Neat. I am not a real fan of hack'n'slash games but I did enjoy PoE for a while. Might have a look at it again.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    new class? hmm.... better check game again:)
  • crimsion2501crimsion2501 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    its a shame that this writer got some of his information wrong otherwise its a good read
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

"When I first saw Path of Exile a few months ago, it was still in its very early stages heading towards a closed beta."

I would like a ride on your time machine.

• ZerackusZerackus Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I have to admit, this game is very addictive!

Zerackus the Bane
    Son of Myrkul
    Undead Lords
    www.undeadlords.net

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I'm not much for diablo-likes myself - but I also enjoyed PoE quite a bit (moreso than D2 and D3).
  • ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Can't wait for release! been playing this game for over a year now, one of my all time favorite games.

New class looks awesome, will change up the meta game quiet abit considering it starts in the middle of the tree, new skills gems look awesome aswell and we finally get to kill Dominus! yey. My hype level is way to high right now :)

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    Never played D2, played D3 for a bit and it was shit, then along came POE and I love it.  Played POE for good 4 months after open beta, currently on break but jumping right in after official launch.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This game was released months ago. Once you make your game open to everyone and say you will never wipe characters and stop actually asking for any sort of testing from your players and charge them for items in the shop, you are released.

Pretty decent game but heavily flawed in many ways. Repeating the same content over and over to level and as the end game is just a horrible concept. Too bad everyone copies this poor system from D2. I know their plan is to eventually do away with the difficulty levels but at one act per year it is going to take years to do it.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

No mention about a fix for Desync  which is a real game breaker for melee hardcore charactors, also there's no mention about a fix for the horrible so called crafting system (which is really just gambling).

As a previous poster has already stated, this game is released. There will be no wipe of avatars or items. This will cause all these new leagues to be an utter joke for you will be able to trade the currency you have already for currency in these new leagues, thus giving you a massive advantage against other players.

With so many major faults / bugs still in the game I fine it hard to understand why GGG are planning an official release of the game this month.

It will be very interesting to see the review scores of this game with these faults in it.

• PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67

I thought I read somewhere that you have to find the class within the game, in a cage, in order to play her. She isn't just automatically unlocked once you beat the storyline. If that isn't the case, then that's disappointing. Still looking forward to this update though!

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by sibs4455

As a previous poster has already stated, this game is released. There will be no wipe of avatars or items. This will cause all these new leagues to be an utter joke for you will be able to trade the currency you have already for currency in these new leagues, thus giving you a massive advantage against other players.

When a new league is started don't you have to create a new character to play in that league?

Or am I just too much of a noob that I don't know what I'm talking about?

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco
    Originally posted by sibs4455

When a new league is started don't you have to create a new character to play in that league?

Or am I just too much of a noob that I don't know what I'm talking about?

Yes you do create a new character but that does not stop the trading from one league to another, it's been going on for quite a while already.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    PoE is the best game I have played since DAoC and D2 were destroyed by their expansions.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• marremurtmarremurt Member UncommonPosts: 45

you cannot trade gears/currency from old Leagues to new Leagues, but new Leagues to old Leagues you can.

you have to die first on hardcore League to be able to trade with a normal League.

Originally posted by marremurt
    you cannot trade gears/currency from old Leagues to new Leagues, but new Leagues to old Leagues you can. you have to die first on hardcore League to be able to trade with a normal League.

Yes you can and you can buy stuff online through 3rd party sites as well. You can't 'legally' do it but they won't stop it either. Pretty easy to trade for items on Hardcore from your default characters etc if you want to.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

PoE is a blessing for gamers.

It has the right atmosphere, as well as very deep character skill customization.

Both passive and active skill combinations are at least excellent.

Its the D2 sequel for older players and a game that focuses you to play, rather than slacking in some AH trying to make money or gold.

GGG deserves success without a doubt, especially if you consider that is an absolutely free game.

Thanks guys!

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Aroukos

Its the D2 sequel for older players and a game that focuses you to play, rather than slacking in some AH trying to make money or gold.

If you played D3 as an auction house game, then that's on you. The AH was, and will be until its closure, completely optional. Blizzard didn't force you or anyone else to use it, they just wanted to provide a safe way for people to exchange goods without the trouble & risk of having to do so 'face to face', so to speak.

Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine. D3 has its faults, but the AH isn't one of them unless you allow it to become one.

Anyway, as for PoE, maybe I'll give it a try while waiting for the D3 expansion. Well, if I can tear myself away from FFXIV & Ascend: Hand of Kul that is.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

If you played D3 as an auction house game, then that's on you. The AH was, and will be until its closure, completely optional. Blizzard didn't force you or anyone else to use it, they just wanted to provide a safe way for people to exchange goods without the trouble & risk of having to do so 'face to face', so to speak.

Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine. D3 has its faults, but the AH isn't one of them unless you allow it to become one.

Anyway, as for PoE, maybe I'll give it a try while waiting for the D3 expansion. Well, if I can tear myself away from FFXIV & Ascend: Hand of Kul that is.

Except they gimped loot rates in order to encourage the AH.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    MUCH better game then d3!
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by davc123
    MUCH better game then d3!

Agreed.  It really manages to make every level exciting and push you to keep going.  My favorite skill tree system of any game.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I disagree.  Couldn't stand POE.  It's complexity and depth is just a lie, it's window dressing.  It might resemble FFX's skill system, but it really is nothing like it once you get down to it.

A new class?  The only thing a class is in this sad hacknslash is a starting point on their skill grid and an avatar.

D3 is much better, Marvel Heroes is better, even TL2 kept me entertained for longer.  Maybe I'll come back and see if the game is worth playing again someday, but it wasn't when I left.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I disagree.  Couldn't stand POE.  It's complexity and depth is just a lie, it's window dressing.  It might resemble FFX's skill system, but it really is nothing like it once you get down to it.

A new class?  The only thing a class is in this sad hacknslash is a starting point on their skill grid and an avatar.

D3 is much better, Marvel Heroes is better, even TL2 kept me entertained for longer.  Maybe I'll come back and see if the game is worth playing again someday, but it wasn't when I left.

That game is not for you, that's it. Don't waste your time coming back later, it won't fundamentally change.

Lets be honest here. You make about 9 or 10 choices in skills in PoE and you take the fillers along the way. You pick 4 or 5 major keystones and then you pick the paths you want to get to those keystones. The character progression has nowhere near the depth people want to claim it does, at least not people who actually play the game on a regular basis. The actual combat has almost no depth to it at all. The end game loot is a completely RNG nightmare and the crafting is really an end game only feature. The game suffers from massive desync issues, the mob AI is just godawful and it is another in a bad series of games that asks you to repeat the content 3 times just to level and then live in the same content for your end game outside of map drops.

PoE has a boatload of issues and anyone who denies it is just fooling themselves. Whether it is better than D3 is certainly up for debate, both are better than TL2 which is the smash TV of aRPG.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Except they gimped loot rates in order to encourage the AH.

+1