Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best game in history of video games on 50% sale on Steam

pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Yea you heard it..STEAM has a 50% discount for Final Fantasy 7

Best game ever according to many and to me personally.

The ones that are sceptic about the old looking graphs i ll just tell you this..

the game's gameplay, progression and storyline beats most modern time rpg s even today..

For such a low price its worth the try!

Comments

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I remember this being the first video game that I ever saw a commercial on TV for. I second it's a good buy but far from the best video game IMO.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• windwavewindwave Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Personally I rank FF6 higher than FF7 but that's just me.
  • pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    I remember this being the first video game that I ever saw a commercial on TV for. I second it's a good buy but far from the best video game IMO.

dont try to compare it with other games today..Try to understand what that game offered to gamers at that time and what the competition was...I remember that time well..this game blew our minds...

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by pupurun

Originally posted by logicbomb82
    dont try to compare it with other games today..Try to understand what that game offered to gamers at that time and what the competition was...I remember that time well..this game blew our minds...
    But didn't you call it "The best game in history."? Since all released games are now "games in history", why not compare them?

It may have been more accurate to say, "The best game of its time.", or something not quite as grand.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by windwave

Ditto. I'd actually rank Phantasy Star 2 and Lufia 2 over it - both of which are in the SNES era.

Perhaps you can change the title to "Best RPG in history of PS1..."

• ToonmanisbackToonmanisback Member Posts: 2
    Try to understand what that game offered to gamers at that time and what the competition was...

Competition? In the late 90s? Fallout (1997), Fallout II (1998), Baldurs Gate (1998), Placescape (1999). All 4 are better games than that convoluted, childish mess. FF7, most overrated RPG out there. 

Originally posted by Toonmanisback
    Try to understand what that game offered to gamers at that time and what the competition was...

Competition? In the late 90s? Fallout (1997), Fallout II (1998), Baldurs Gate (1998), Placescape (1999). All 4 are better games than that convoluted, childish mess. FF7, most overrated RPG out there. 

you can't compare the ff7 story with those games imo

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    I thought it was a solid game (And in my opinion the very last good game made in the Final Fantasy series.) But there were many better games out even at that time, and like another above said, FF6 was and forever shall be, the best FF game ever made. And hell, it was on the SNES. (Also called final fantasy 3, they loved to screw up the naming.)

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I thought this thread was going to be about Paper Mario.

I kid, great game <3 and I might pick this one up - thx for the heads up.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Toonmanisback

I'll agree with you that the BG series and the Fallout games were better, but FF7 had a fairly good story as well once you cut through all Cloud's emo garbage.

A shame they cranked it up to 11 for FF8 though...

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

The ones that are sceptic about the old looking graphs i ll just tell you this..

the game's gameplay, progression and storyline beats most modern time rpg s even today..

You forgot to put emphasis that this is in your OWN opinion, which it clearly is.

My opinion on the FF series is that they sucked tremendously, in my OWN opinion. I could list tons of games that I consider the best games ever but it's in my opinion not based on everyone else making it fact.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

You forgot to put emphasis that this is in your OWN opinion, which it clearly is.

My opinion on the FF series is that they sucked tremendously, in my OWN opinion. I could list tons of games that I consider the best games ever but it's in my opinion not based on everyone else making it fact.

It's a forum, everything is an opinion. I don't think the OP was implying that what he was saying is a scientific fact validated by millions of dollars of research validated and notarized.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

Ditto. I'd actually rank Phantasy Star 2 and Lufia 2 over it - both of which are in the SNES era.

I just have to give an honorable mention to someone mentioning PhanStar2, it's so rarely given light and part of my childhood right there. That Nei scene was a first in gaming history I think, in rpgs anyway.

Eh, I never really understood the need to have favorites and the comparison games. I both liked FF6 and FF7 for different reasons. We're not that unidimensional I hope.

Now if they could put FFT:The lion wars for sale on steam...I never could get my hand on a copy for the PSP T,T

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I remember it fondly. It was the game that convinced me to buy a PS1. It was the game that got me back to playing consoles after years of PC-only gaming.

Best ever? Nah.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    xenogears>final fantasy7 or any ff
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

It's a forum, everything is an opinion. I don't think the OP was implying that what he was saying is a scientific fact validated by millions of dollars of research validated and notarized.

+ 1

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Final Fantasy 7?   Here I was all ready to comment on this weekend's Civilization V sale.   I've been waiting for that since I upgraded my computer from an under-powered abacus to something that can actually play Civ V.

(In fact, Steam has a sale on everything published by 2K Games this weekend, including all Civilization games and X-Com.  See you around Christmas, maybe this year's.)

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Everyone is welcome to their opinion but if you polled 1000 people and asked what the best game ever is I'd be surprised if you needed both hands to count responses for FF7. Especially if you are including PC games.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Toonmanisback Originally posted by pupurun Try to understand what that game offered to gamers at that time and what the competition was...

Competition? In the late 90s? Fallout (1997), Fallout II (1998), Baldurs Gate (1998), Placescape (1999). All 4 are better games than that convoluted, childish mess. FF7, most overrated RPG out there.     you can't compare the ff7 story with those games imo        

If you can't compare your chosen game with other games then don't frame it as the best "in the history of video games."

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Give me the Ocarina Of Time anyday!
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    The most magical games of all time for me were FFIV and FFVI. Overall I think I think FFVI had the biggest impact on me, but FFIV was close.  To FFVII's credit, it came closer than most (maybe even all) other games I can think of to the magic that FFIV and FFVI felt to me, but it still missed it by a long distance in the end.  (although the day I first got my hands on the demo of FFVII was just as magical as the day I first played FFIV and FFVI.  ....it's just the main game itself once it arrived, while better than most/all other games I can think of towards that feeling, still fell short)
  • abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68

If we're talking purely story and writing then...

Planescape: Torment > Everything else.

'nuff said. If you disagree then you haven't played PST through.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

Same here, I have a lot more fond memories of FF6 than with FF7.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

FFVII is an okayish game, but I would certainly not call it "the best". While the story and the overall game design are quite good, or at least interesting (I could never fully identify myself with moody loser as my alter ego, which is obligatory in FF games) I never had a patience to play through wave after wave after wave of "random encounter" trash mobs. Sooner or later I just couldn't start it again.

If I were to vote for the best, at least personally for me, how it affected me, it would be Planescape.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Ugh JRPG's.. .Where you get to play some kid instead of create and develop your own character...

Having prior experience with the likes of Pool of Radiance and the entire SSI gold box series along with original Ultima's... Playing games like Wizards Crown, Phantasie 1-3 (not to be confused with Phanatsy Star (Sega)), Demon's Winter etc.

These games all had very rich character/party development that evolved into what most modern CRPG's are today... The JRPG is dead... well except on kickstarter and these throwbacks starting to resurface... Seems anyone with RPG Maker (software) is shitting out JRPG's all over the place...

You can keep your giant head/stubby body  8 bit games, or later the androgynous pretty boy characters. I will stick to what are in my opinion are the true RPG classics...

As a side note... kudo's to you for giving the heads up to those interested in the sale... Greatest of all time though... I think not!

For those interested... Baldur's Gate (EE) is also on sale on Steam for $5.00 ($1less than FF7)... Sink your teeth into a great 90's classic!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...