Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can hackers steal gold without subbing to your WoW account?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

I recently lost over 100k gold in WoW. I resubbed just a few days ago and found all my gold and gear was missing. In game support couldnt do anything because they said it happened to far back or something and they couldnt track it. So they gave me some green panda gear and 500 gold for my two mains. Sucks all those years I spent in the AH selling gems and other stuff all gone to waste.

My question is: Can hackers steal gold without subbing to your WoW account?

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Yes. Your sub pays for the next 30 days of playing time.

So they have as many days left of those 30 days to clean out your stuff.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43
    They probably activated the MoP 10-day trial
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I checked my history and didnt see where they could of subbed to my account. I dont know, it sucks.

Originally posted by jnsereno
    They probably activated the MoP 10-day trial

I purchased mop. played two days and unsubbed. now Im back and starting a new toon.

Originally posted by funcon

Yes. Your sub pays for the next 30 days of playing time.So they have as many days left of those 30 days to clean out your stuff.
    I checked my history and didnt see where they could of subbed to my account. I dont know, it sucks.
    The last time you logged on, was there time left on your current sub? Hackers do not need much time to clean out an account.

It does suck and you have my empathy.

When you have the sub paid, anyone can log on, from family members to hackers.

I am curious, was your account info changed at all? Like the password?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

The last time you logged on, was there time left on your current sub? Hackers do not need much time to clean out an account.

Yeah. I subbed, played for 3 or 4 days then unsubbed and didnt play again. But Im always running ccleaner and stuff to keep my pc clean and dont visit WoW related sites and dont click on links in my email. Dont know how they could of got me. Played WoW for over 7 years and this is the first time this has happened.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Yeah. I subbed, played for 3 or 4 days then unsubbed and didnt play again. But Im always running ccleaner and stuff to keep my pc clean and dont visit WoW related sites and dont click on links in my email. Dont know how they could of got me. Played WoW for over 7 years and this is the first time this has happened.

Well, it doesn't have to be WoW related. Goldfarmers purchase forum logins and hoping for the best more often than they actively hack you. Use an unique password for both your mail and your game login. And fetch an antivirus system like norton. Continously updated and passively searching your computer without sacrificing your performance.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Geez, sorry to hear about the loss of all that gold.  I never had more than 10k at any time in the years I played - I think I'd go into a nerdcoma if it happened to me.  You're awful calm on these forums...way to keep your head.  Seems kinda crappy what you got in return, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

My question is now that you've lost all that hard-earned coin, will you continue to play?  Build up your wealth once again?  Just curious.

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

You only played the game for 3-4 days giving them 26-27 days time to enter your account.

yeah but dude. I sub and unsubed many times before and I never got hacked. Many times when I unsub, I leave a lot of days left.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Geez, sorry to hear about the loss of all that gold.  I never had more than 10k at any time in the years I played - I think I'd go into a nerdcoma if it happened to me.  You're awful calm on these forums...way to keep your head.  Seems kinda crappy what you got in return, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

My question is now that you've lost all that hard-earned coin, will you continue to play?  Build up your wealth once again?  Just curious.

No, I will play more casually now. Probably retire my mains, start fresh, roll new classes and races Ive never been before. Ill make enough gold back to be ok.

Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Geez, sorry to hear about the loss of all that gold.  I never had more than 10k at any time in the years I played - I think I'd go into a nerdcoma if it happened to me.  You're awful calm on these forums...way to keep your head.  Seems kinda crappy what you got in return, but I suppose it's better than nothing.My question is now that you've lost all that hard-earned coin, will you continue to play?  Build up your wealth once again?  Just curious.

No, I will play more casually now. Probably retire my mains, start fresh, roll new classes and races Ive never been before. Ill make enough gold back to be ok.
    That is a great attitude! I am glad to hear it :)

Do take precautions with you account now, though. Get an account verifier that Blizzard offers, either the free cell phone one or the $8(?) physical one that you can purchase. Make sure your password is not the same as any other password you use anywhere else on the internet, too :)

Best of luck and enjoy playing WoW again :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Most secure way is PHYSICAL authenticator. Not even the mobile ones are safe anymore.

Get one and never get hacked again*.

* - Experience may vary.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I once had my WoW account hacked. Thing is, I never had a WoW account. However, I did purchase an Acitivision Blizzard game and upon registering it was informed that my WoW account was hacked and locked. Again, never had one in the first place. One reason I will never purchase another Activision Blizzard game.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Gruug

I once had my WoW account hacked. Thing is, I never had a WoW account. However, I did purchase an Acitivision Blizzard game and upon registering it was informed that my WoW account was hacked and locked. Again, never had one in the first place. One reason I will never purchase another Activision Blizzard game.

I think it was Blizzard that deleted my gold and gear. See, I used to sub for like 1 month then quit for 6 months. I did this a lot and I think they got pissed I never stay subbed for longer period of time. I stayed subbed for a long time when I first started playing, but after that, not longer than 4 or 5 months.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Blizzard's account security is pretty flawed. One reason I'll never return to WoW. If your account goes inactive for more than a year. It's bound to be hacked or "hacked" as I like to put it. Happened to both my US and EU accounts that were played years apart and on separate PCs.

Never had any account security issues in any other MMO I've played in my decade of MMO gaming.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Gruug

I think it was Blizzard that deleted my gold and gear. See, I used to sub for like 1 month then quit for 6 months. I did this a lot and I think they got pissed I never stay subbed for longer period of time. I stayed subbed for a long time when I first started playing, but after that, not longer than 4 or 5 months.

There were hints to this all the way through this thread, but this is the post i was expecting. Why didn't you just say this in the first place without dancing about the issue and trying to prompt others to start the whole "Blizzard is messing with accounts" debate again?

Do you really think there is someone sitting behind a screen at Blizzard looking at account activity and thinking "You know what, this guy subs and unsubs like crazy, i'll show him not to mess with us!".....really?!?

You subbed and unsubbed, you had gametime left on your account, no authenticator (is a presumption on my part) and you have an open connection to the internet and you visit websites which means that regardless of all the precautions you take you are still open to having someone/thing/site install something on your machine that you know nothing about. Sometimes the obvious answer is all that is needed, no conspiracy theories, no complex roundabout explanation, sometimes it just is what it is.

Never been got myself and have been subbed since launch, but a guildie was robbed, told by the GM to grab an authenticator ASAP, he didn't, a week later he was robbed again (even after cleaning up everything on his machine from scratch), at which point he got an authenticator........no problems after that. Conspiracy would dictate that Blizzard did it to him on purpose to make him get the authenticator, but as it was the mobile one they didn't make any money and the common sense approach just says that he finally secured his account that way....simple.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Blizzard provides the best support out of any gaming company imo, especially in the MMO market, put in a ticket and you can usually get some of your stuff back (at least the gear).
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Shadoed

There were hints to this all the way through this thread, but this is the post i was expecting. Why didn't you just say this in the first place without dancing about the issue and trying to prompt others to start the whole "Blizzard is messing with accounts" debate again?

Do you really think there is someone sitting behind a screen at Blizzard looking at account activity and thinking "You know what, this guy subs and unsubs like crazy, i'll show him not to mess with us!".....really?!?

You subbed and unsubbed, you had gametime left on your account, no authenticator (is a presumption on my part) and you have an open connection to the internet and you visit websites which means that regardless of all the precautions you take you are still open to having someone/thing/site install something on your machine that you know nothing about. Sometimes the obvious answer is all that is needed, no conspiracy theories, no complex roundabout explanation, sometimes it just is what it is.

Never been got myself and have been subbed since launch, but a guildie was robbed, told by the GM to grab an authenticator ASAP, he didn't, a week later he was robbed again (even after cleaning up everything on his machine from scratch), at which point he got an authenticator........no problems after that. Conspiracy would dictate that Blizzard did it to him on purpose to make him get the authenticator, but as it was the mobile one they didn't make any money and the common sense approach just says that he finally secured his account that way....simple.

+1

I felt bad for the OP until he came out with his "it must be Blizzard" quip.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.