Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Are Four Classes Enough?

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by bexinh
    4 classes are not enough imo. I prefer a game with diversity having as many classes as possible. That's why i love games like EQ. But as i understand having many classes the developer needs to balance them out which is really hard work, and i guess ppl dont like hard work.

There are so many various skill lines that class matters little in the end.  From what has been released, classes comprise of 3 skill lines, plus there is racial, weapons (multiple), armor (multiple), guild (multiple), pvp, emperor, vampire (possibly), werewolf (possibly), with more to be added as the game develops.

I would rather have a game with fewer class options that allows me a great deal of customization than a game with many classes and little customization.  ESO lets you build any class into any role you want.  Mage can be a tank in any armor with any weapon, rogue can be a healer with any armor with any weapon, and guess what, you can swap roles with the swap of your weapon set (which also swaps your action bar).

Last I checked balancing more customization options is harder than balancing many classes.  More customization means more possibility to min/max.

Cheers!

I've yet to play an MMO that has a class structure that was as appealing to me as what was available in EQ and EQ II.  Not only did those games have very distinctive classes, but they were so much more than the 3 or 4 button mashing games of today.  Why can't modern games give us all of the utility and fun abilities of the older games?  Why do they insist on focusing primarily on damage and healing?  Non-combat / flavor / silly abilities have become extinct in the modern MMO.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

It's not just 4 classes... it is 4 base classes but within those base classes it's like 5 classes within, each with their own skills...

This just seems like a "we have nothing to report" piece.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    How many classes the game have doesn't really matter in ES games. any class can be anything in ES, if the devs are going the same system in ESO; which by the looks like they are, then there is nothing to worry about. Just choose whatever class you want and as you progress along the game just make your character however you like it to be. i will just wait for more info to be revealed. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I remember when i created a character in Morrowind and had to pick from a bagillion archetypes. Now you have a more modern TES game turned into an mmo and all you get is 4 classes?

It is very good that you can wear any type of armors and use any type of weapons but THAT IS NOT a reason to reduce class archetypes to 4. The fact that there will be classes in the game despite all the flexibility, it means that you can build a specific class and benefit form that class' stats. It needs more classes.

THe more i read about TESO the more i want to stay with the single player side of the franchise.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

4 classes per faction?  Or, are they saying each faction will have the same 4 classes?  Confused here, I assumed we were following the Dark Age of Camelot model where classes weren't copied between factions.

This will turn into the Rift "classless" system then, where people just played whatever was OP'd until the next patch.  Perhaps I misread?

We are supposed to be getting 3 factions.

Each faction has a set number of classes that are NOT repeated in the other realms (hence immersion, choice, variability, a sense of uniqueness, oh and RPG).

Am I wrong in this?

^^ adding to what I just posted.

Are they saying each REALM has the same The Dragon Knight, Sorcerer, Night Blade, and Templar?  Matt Firor (of Dark Age of Camelot) should know better.  Dark Age of Camelot had three realms too: and some 44 classes and 24 races.  At least half of that was available at release with a staff of 30 employees and as much money as a low end kickstarter.

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/content/classes-races

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Comaf

^^ adding to what I just posted.

Are they saying each REALM has the same The Dragon Knight, Sorcerer, Night Blade, and Templar?

Yes. Each realm has the SAME four classes.

Why why why not simply port Skyrim skill advancement to MMO? Or Oblivion? Or Morrowind? Any of them?

With all these supposed skills, can I play a magic-wielding, two-handed hammer bashing, heavy armor wearing War Mage?  Or how about a Stealth Priest?

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

It seems like they just have 4 different "classes" who have a few minor differences but essentially all do the same thing. I guess that makes class balance a non issue since you dont really have but one class to begin with. 

"But the decision to link at least some character differentiation to class is probably linked to the fact that classless systems have never been widely accepted by the mass market gamer ESO hopes to attract with the Bethesda IP."

Bill, you mean that mass market gamer that originally bought Skyrim?  That mass market gamer? Naw...they'd HATE a classless, skill-based system......image
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    "But the decision to link at least some character differentiation to class is probably linked to the fact that classless systems have never been widely accepted by the mass market gamer ESO hopes to attract with the Bethesda IP."

Bill, you mean that mass market gamer that originally bought Skyrim?  That mass market gamer? Naw...they'd HATE a classless, skill-based system......image

I would rather blow my brains out than play Rift's "classless" system.  The amount of mediocrity and boredom that ensues from such a creation is, well, probably why no one cares.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Drakephire

I would rather blow my brains out than play Rift's "classless" system.  The amount of mediocrity and boredom that ensues from such a creation is, well, probably why no one cares.

Odd, I find their 4 class system far more interesting than WoW's pick a class and your done system.  My personal favorite take on classes and skill trees is PoE, but that isn't an MMORPG.  Really it all comes down to how much depth and customization it has, and how many of the choices are viable.  And I don't mean viable just for end game raiding, I mean can you make a viable build that is optimal for your playstyle and activities in the game you enjoy that is completely different from somebody else.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I have no problem with 4 classes if it means that they are only about making certain skills easier to learn. Like in Skyrim with the guardian stones. In that game you still have all skills available, but a faster learning bonus for skills depending on the blessing you took.

Also, having all abilities available to every player doesn't have to mean that all players end up with all skills. Again, look at Skyrim how it works there.

In the case of ESO if I understand correctly, you have loads of skills to chose from within each class. And being able to progress those skills that you prefer. This kind of falls in line with the Elder Scrolls game. So I don't see what the problem is with 4 classes if there is this much diversity in each class.

Offtopic : 'Post new comment' whitelines are ignored for some reason. To seperate my text into paragraphs I have to use 2 returns instead of 1.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    Yeah, I'm thinking even with multiple variations within, 4 classes is too few. But then again, almost every reveal or discussion on ESO makes me less interested in it. However, we don't have much else coming out in the meantime so I'm likely to be desperate for something new and shiny by then.
  • eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60
    If they don't provide Elder Scrolls-style skills, then I have two words to describe whether Four Classes are Enough: "hell no".
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691

How much time, till it become FTP..  not much.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    It only has 4 classes? Sounds like some low budget Asian mmo (which isn't trolling, I know it isn't). As a western MMO and a high budget, high profile one at that, I'd expect at least 6? Preferably 8.

At least 8, unless they know for a fact that they will be adding more later.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Wait and see, I guess. As long as I don't have seen all the options in gane, this question is hard to answer. So I will will first play, then talk ;)
  • MMO-VeteranMMO-Veteran Member Posts: 45
    I feel some of the people caught on why 4 classes works; if definitely enough assuming it has the customization of Elder Scrolls.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    4 classes for a high budget game is a disgrace. What's the point in having classes at all with the way they are doing things? This game is just trying to appease everyone. CASHGRAB!!!!

See you in game ^_^

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Broken record here... why have classes at all... there should be zero classes.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I cant say anything, but 4 is fine
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

4 classes is 4 to many classes, it should have been a classless system...

if you want to be tank, healer or CC, you only have one viable choice as  each of those classes gives a distinct advantage to one of those trinity roles.  And while you can be a healing sorcerer you  will allways trail the healing performance of the templar

so  basically they ruined what made elder scrolls so special by adding classes...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    For me it's not about that little tag beside the character portrait saying lvl 6 paladin, but it's about what your character can do in the game. If there would be just four classes with no variety in skills, who would play this game...
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • SulherokSulherok Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Pretty sure there was supposed to be 5... think the 5th one was the Warden class but guess they holding that one for a content patch.