Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got Hacked, Got Suspended, Account Terminated. Good job SE..

12345679»

Comments

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I do not worry one bit about my account security, you know why?  Because I have taken necessary precautions to protect myself from having my information compromised.

1)  I have 5 different email accounts, all with different passwords and 2-step verification through SMS code verification.  

2)  One of those e-mail addresses is used ONLY for registering an account with online gaming services, never any type of forum or other service.

3)  I have Kaspersky internet security (which has worked great for me) installed on my computer, and I do not visit any type of shady sites (RMT / adult / free tv).  This is on both my computer & phone.

4)  All my different accounts (for anything) have different and strong passwords (12+ letters & numbers utilizing multiple words, capitalization, number sequence and/or punctuation) and are set up with a 2-step verification if available.

With this, I have never had any type of account compromise, for gaming or otherwise.  Even if you don't want to believe it, account security is your own responsibility up to a point.  If you have an account compromised even having taken all of these precautions available to you, then it may fall in to the realm of the company's responsibility, but 99% of the time that is not the case.

I really hope you do get your account unbanned and back, just make sure to change the e-mail address of the account to a new secured account.  I highly advise Gmail as they have some great security measures you can take advantage of.

• Napier45Napier45 Member UncommonPosts: 5

My account was banned and hijacked a couple of weeks ago.  Being a paranoid person I ran all my antivirus scans and checked my firewall. All the scans came up clean so took my pc to have it checked. After paying way too much they only confirmed that no malicious software was detected.  

After my computer came up clean I called the Square Enix support line. I waited for over a hour and a half for a representative to start the investigation process.

The representative informed me that there was no grantee that they would recover my account. Now for over 2 weeks I have yet to receive a confirmation Email of the investigation or any information on any additional information I need to provide.

I am very sure my password was secure. I always use a different password for all my accounts. The password I used this time was a CD key for game that I played years ago "Non MMORPG".  

Maybe it was a bad idea to use a CD key as a password, or maybe I should have used a authenticator like with all my other game accounts.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Napier45

My account was banned and hijacked a couple of weeks ago.  Being a paranoid person I ran all my antivirus scans and checked my firewall. All the scans came up clean so took my pc to have it checked. After paying way too much they only confirmed that no malicious software was detected.  

After my computer came up clean I called the Square Enix support line. I waited for over a hour and a half for a representative to start the investigation process.

The representative informed me that there was no grantee that they would recover my account. Now for over 2 weeks I have yet to receive a confirmation Email of the investigation or any information on any additional information I need to provide.

I am very sure my password was secure. I always use a different password for all my accounts. The password I used this time was a CD key for game that I played years ago "Non MMORPG".  

Maybe it was a bad idea to use a CD key as a password, or maybe I should have used a authenticator like with all my other game accounts.

They already said hacked accounts are from people using exact same passwords for multiple online accounts. One got hacked and they stole your PW. Not SE's fault, but your own

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by evianwater

So..yeah..that part about "reviewed for accuracy" is particularly annoying..because distinct IP addresses would clearly vindicate me if they actually put any effort into their "investigation". 

Most ISP wont give static IPs to residentials then there are proxys.

Your motherboard and CPU have a unique ID that Microsoft uses sometimes for stuff. Most of the time its just your motherboard model number for normal user products. Some of the expensive 5h17 they have they charge for each CPU and for some products per Core  on the server which is Fn BS.

But no you cant use IPs when investigating users who all have Dynamic IPs

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Because MMORPG forums are known for productivity ? Or I suppose I should keep this to myself and not bother the erudite forums of this community -_-

Of course I've contacted their support department.

No way!

There is no way you could have contacted support about it and THEN came here to raise awareness of the situation!  NO WAY!

I'm calling complete BS, there's no way anyone can do that.  It doesn't make sense!

I guess it is possible I used the CD key as a password years ago on another account and never added it to my book.

I just thought it was odd with the amount of gold spammers early in the game and SE was not prepared. I am even more surprised by the number of accounts banned without an email or warning until days later.

This may be a dumb Idea but wouldn’t it be better to put a trade and chat ban on an account rather than a full account ban?

I guess I am just too old to understand how purchasing a product as a customer is always at fault when it remains with manufacture.

• MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210

My account just got hacked but fortunately I was not banned.  It was weird, I logged into the game and was in a completely different part of the world.  Then I looked at my inventory and saw that all my gil and items were gone. 

I guess the good news is that my character is 25 so I only had about 25,000 gil.  Hopefully that will get reimbursed now that I have submitted a hacking report through SE.

What's weird is that I have a second character that is level 10 with 2,500 gil but that did not seem to be touched.  I guess the hackers just got in and out real quick.

I have since registered to use the token and one-time password.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    edited July 2023
     ?
    Post edited by evianwater on
    Still banned, Open Ticket dissappeared. No response, nothing, no e-mail at all. Are they content to fuck over the minority of customers that got screwed by their zero-tolerance BS bans on hacked players ?

The ticket that I submitted was deleted as well. I have given up on SE support and attempting to reclaim my account.

Unfortunately the "Free company" that I was leader of may be doomed to fail. One of my officers is trying to get leadership transferred over but has had no luck.

I hope they will all ban together to reform a new guild, but I fear that they have lost trust in the stability of the game
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Still banned, Open Ticket dissappeared. No response, nothing, no e-mail at all. Are they content to fuck over the minority of customers that got screwed by their zero-tolerance BS bans on hacked players ?

Similar experience.

After being on hold 4 times with NA Support (each time while sitting in the queue for online chat at the same time...I reached the "Number 1-3 in queue" twice, only to have it say "Sorry no one is available now"), I got ahold of them.

The guy on the phone was actually very nice. He said thsi is happening a lot. He said that he expected I would get my account back, but that it would take some time (he quoted me 1-3 weeks). However he also said I would receive an email in 1-2 DAYS saying that my investigation was "escalated" to a higher team. It would just be a notice, nothing more.

That was a week and a half ago. I've had no notice. I've tried to call again every day (i'm working nights right now so I can be on hold from like 4-6 EST every day....with my phone on speaker next to me). At this point I'm trying to just inquire whether the investigation is still ongoing since I didn't receive that initial email. If it takes them 3 weeks fine, I don't mind...I just want to know that it is actually happening. I've heard nothing. I sent another ticket through some other thing I found online that said I would receive a response is 24 hours, that was 3 days ago.

One question there. When you say "Open ticket dissappeared" what do you mean? where does it list our open tickets?

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

This issue is rampant and effects quite a few people. There are phishing schemes out there, I saw them in two weeks of launch. Gold spamming is also rampant in the game as well. I received an email telling me my account was locked because of suspicious activity. I went to the patcher logged into the game and played as if nothing happened.  I generally do not click on any links in my email from companies once I see suspicious activity clause. I generally wait until the game client kicks me out before I place a call to customer support. You can never be too careful nowadays.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

This issue is rampant and effects quite a few people. There are phishing schemes out there, I saw them in two weeks of launch. Gold spamming is also rampant in the game as well. I received an email telling me my account was locked because of suspicious activity. I went to the patcher logged into the game and played as if nothing happened.  I generally do not click on any links in my email from companies once I see suspicious activity clause. I generally wait until the game client kicks me out before I place a call to customer support. You can never be too careful nowadays.

How many people on here got a email inviting you to the final FFXIV beta test?

I received a email with a link to log in to my account a day before the final beta launch. I had already created my account before the invite so I clicked login.

After putting in the user name and password it appeared that it didn't log me in and redirected me to the NA FinalFantasyXIV website.  

I am starting to think this was a phishing scam and I fell for it.

This may not redeem SE's lack of customer support but it does answer the question on how my account could have been compromised.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

SE provides a free method for protecting your account.  You can't blame them because you chose not to take advantage of it, and then used the same password as some random forum that got hacked.  If you don't want your account to get hacked use unique passwords, take advantage of one time keys, and install good virus scan software.

The only person you have to blame is yourself.

• RexGarvinRexGarvin Member Posts: 28
    Got what you deserved!!
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

Has anyone mentioned yet that the Session-ID never time out in this game?

If someone gets hold of that, they can log in as you without knowing your username, password and bypassing the security token/app.

It seems to be precisely the same problem as Rift had shortly after launch.

Originally posted by Silacoid

SE provides a free method for protecting your account.  You can't blame them because you chose not to take advantage of it, and then used the same password as some random forum that got hacked.  If you don't want your account to get hacked use unique passwords, take advantage of one time keys, and install good virus scan software.

The only person you have to blame is yourself.

Yes Authenticators are a great tool for protecting a gaming account. I have 7 different authenticators for various games on my phone and tablet now.  Normally I would have created a Security Token for my account as soon as it was available. As you may recall the "Invalid Security Token" issue during "Early Access and launch" along with the 1007 errors deterred me early on. 

As for the password on my account. It was a secure and unique password that I used. I did find the email that I thought was a  phishing scam. It was an official [Square Enix Account] Service Account Registration Notification to "Confirm Account Status".

I am not blaming SE for my account being hijacked and service being disrupted.  I am disgruntled by the lack of information and support after a account has been compromised. 

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

3 Months later, My account is restored. After requesting an investigation three times. The investigation took 2 days from the third request. 

Dear Customer,

We would like to inform you that access to your FINAL FANTASY XIV account has been restored. We have confirmed that compromised access was to blame and therefore lifted the ban. Furthermore, we have also removed the violation from your record. 
    To ensure your account doesn’t get banned again, please delete any retainers with inappropriate names that were created while your account was compromised (if any) and hire new retainers instead. Similarly, please delete any characters with inappropriate names that were created by the third party.