Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Regrets on missing an early MMORPG?

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Nope I've tried UO, EQ and SWG original set up Emu's and don't regret not playing them as I would have hated them when they came out.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Nope I've tried UO, EQ and SWG original set up Emu's and don't regret not playing them as I would have hated them when they came out.

Yeh .. UO is a terrible game (for me). I played the beta and i did not even subscribe. Tank mage, unending griefing, mind-numbing clicking on stones to level mining ..... i won't touch such a game with a ten foot pole.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yeh .. UO is a terrible game (for me). I played the beta and i did not even subscribe. Tank mage, unending griefing, mind-numbing clicking on stones to level mining ..... i won't touch such a game with a ten foot pole.

every game that isn't f2p is terrible to you so your input isn't wanted here.

on that note, everquest. i wish i played that, could have met my future wife in that game if i had.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• KaledrenKaledren Member UncommonPosts: 312

My regret is that i did not miss EQ. I spent too much time on it. In retrospect, not only i wasted my time, it wasn't that much fun either.

Jesus. Give it a rest already.

You make no sense. You seem to hate it so much, but spent too much time on it? Are you a masochistic?

Anyways...for me it would be AC1.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Nadia
    i regret never trying SWG -- the others I tried

Same for me.

I was going to play it, spent a couple months reading everything I could find about it while mining Roids near Allebin, but then I decided to go for it....

Bought the game, installed, and started the patch d/l on my slow dailup I had at the time, date was 15 or 16 November 2005 or there abouts..... I didn't do any of my normal forum browsing during the 2 or 3 days it took to finish the patching, wanted to save what little bandwidth I had for the patch.... servers did seem to be up I noticed though.... I wondered to myself what in the world was taking so long, why the Patching process started over like 3 times, something didn't seem right....

Then I finally got the patching done and I logged in and I stared at a game that was similar to what I expected but not what I expected. Iconic Professions? Jedi at character creation? WTF was this #$%^? I started checking forums to find answers....

Then it slowly dawned on me that I had missed SWG in a very real sense. At that moment Jean Luke Picard would have been proud.

Yes I regret not trying SWG when it first released. Boy do I ever.

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I really wanted to get in to EQ and the pvp elements of DAOC but I was still on 56k back then ;-(
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I feel sorry for anybody who never got to play AC1 in its prime.  but then again they are the lucky ones they arnt stuck looking for another MMO as great as AC1 like alot of us.....

Actually this is a quite common theme, people who played some of the early titles such as UO, AC1, DAOC, SWG etc all seem to be "damaged" by the experience, meaning in some way they are unable to find a suitable successor to it that has the features/functionality/fun they found with their original title.

You always hear people say, no one did RVR/PVP like DAOC, or provide character freedom like UO, or have terrific crafting like SWG, and AC1 has several notable features not oft repeated in later MMOs.

Now some point to this and call it the "first MMO phenomenon" and say that's why nothing can replace it, but I'm not so sure, because IMO these titles did provide an experience that really hasn't been repeated since, so this lack of fulfillment may actually be quite real.  Who can tell?

Oh well, perhaps the best thing to hope for is a new title to cut its own new legendary experience that we can enjoy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I feel sorry for anybody who never got to play AC1 in its prime.  but then again they are the lucky ones they arnt stuck looking for another MMO as great as AC1 like alot of us.....

Actually this is a quite common theme, people who played some of the early titles such as UO, AC1, DAOC, SWG etc all seem to be "damaged" by the experience, meaning in some way they are unable to find a suitable successor to it that has the features/functionality/fun they found with their original title.

You always hear people say, no one did RVR/PVP like DAOC, or provide character freedom like UO, or have terrific crafting like SWG, and AC1 has several notable features not oft repeated in later MMOs.

Now some point to this and call it the "first MMO phenomenon" and say that's why nothing can replace it, but I'm not so sure, because IMO these titles did provide an experience that really hasn't been repeated since, so this lack of fulfillment may actually be quite real.  Who can tell?

Oh well, perhaps the best thing to hope for is a new title to cut its own new legendary experience that we can enjoy.

You are making the mistake of thinking that the whinging about the loss of "proper MMO's" on MMORPG.com is common among all MMO vets. In my time playing MMO I've met many who you couldn't pay to go back to the tedium and grind of the early MMO's. You could probably guarantee that more people played early MMO's and left because they were not very good to those that stayed. I remember reading Blizzard saying that more people had played and left WoW than actually played it at peak and that most people that played WoW left before level 10. I could see this being common among the older MMO's.

This forum like most genre or hobby forums are a microcosm of a community compared to the whole of the community where many seemingly disenfranchised gamers come to let off steam. Though none of these players ever seem to work out it could be them and not the games that have changed. If I find I'm not enjoying something anymore I do something else not come to a forum and bitch about an entitlement that dev's make me a "proper MMO" while blaming the kids, greed, incompetence, f2p, hardcore, casuals etc...

Oh! and get off my lawn, hmmph. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Good post.

There are elements people would like to see again. For me, it would be for instance the 100% skill based character development of UO (or AC1, but without some flaws like having to kill mobs to raise cooking). Many games including WoW do that for crafting (you mine, you raise mining, you craft a sword, you raise blacksmithing), why not also for swordfighting, archery, defense, shield use, parry, etc? So the player can design his own "class" instead of being forced into pre-made stereotypes? That's definitely the thing I miss the most from UO.

And there are things I definitely do not want to see again... like the horrible mindless grinds many of those old games were. Leveling in EQ1, DAoC and AC1 was tedious. Camping the same mobs for hours, if not days. Terrible design, horrible grind, you won't pay me to play such a game (unless you pay really a lot of course, but then it's called a job).

So a long term MMO poster has views you don't agree with and he's a troll? 

I tend to always check post histories before going to someone's defense... I think you should have too here.

My computer is better than yours.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

WoW do that for crafting (you mine, you raise mining, you craft a sword, you raise blacksmithing), why not also for swordfighting, archery, defense, shield use, parry, etc? So the player can design his own "class" instead of being forced into pre-made stereotypes? That's definitely the thing I miss the most from UO.

It works in harvesting or crafting because you click it once and you use up the resource and get the XP reward. But with skills like "do damage" "heal damage" or "take damage" are of endless supply and must be governed or they will be exploited. Its as if developers don't want to tackle the challenge of making a good non-exploitable skill system. It probably is possible but I can imagine it would be rather complex.

Originally posted by mmoguy43

WoW do that for crafting (you mine, you raise mining, you craft a sword, you raise blacksmithing), why not also for swordfighting, archery, defense, shield use, parry, etc? So the player can design his own "class" instead of being forced into pre-made stereotypes? That's definitely the thing I miss the most from UO.

It works in harvesting or crafting because you click it once and you use up the resource and get the XP reward. But with skills like "do damage" "heal damage" or "take damage" are of endless supply and must be governed or they will be exploited. Its as if developers don't want to tackle the challenge of making a good non-exploitable skill system. It probably is possible but I can imagine it would be rather complex.

So please tell me, how is distributing XP into skills any different from using it to gain levels?

Originally posted by Sephiroso

every game that isn't f2p is terrible to you so your input isn't wanted here.

on that note, everquest. i wish i played that, could have met my future wife in that game if i had.

Can't stand people having a different opinion? You can always put me on ignore. I don't think you speak for everyone here, and i don't post because i think you like my opinion.

Let me state it again "UO is a terrible game for me. I did not even sub after the beta and i won't touch such a game with a ten foot pole".

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I voted for final fantasy just because it is the only one I've never played.

I do regret not sticking around longer in DAOC but it was really broken at release and they never did get the PvE side of the game fixed.

UO was such an awful game, you really didn't miss much with it. Good concepts but the game itself was just so shoddy. AC1 was great, unlike anything else I've played since. I spent way too much time in EQ1 but I think that was more of a first love type of thing and since I had so many friends.

So please tell me, how is distributing XP into skills any different from using it to gain levels?

Because you are getting xp for specific actions whereas with levels you can do a number of actions to gain xp in that general pool. I thought you would know that. The problem is in what you do for leveling those specific skills. Jumping repeatedly, standing in one spot soaking up damage, spam casting a buff. How do you think xp should be rewarded for a shield use skill?
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I tend to always check post histories before going to someone's defense... I think you should have too here.

I was about to post the same. Narius' post history speaks for itself.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Because you are getting xp for specific actions whereas with levels you can do a number of actions to gain xp in that general pool. I thought you would know that. The problem is in what you do for leveling those specific skills. Jumping repeatedly, standing in one spot soaking up damage, spam casting a buff. How do you think xp should be rewarded for a shield use skill?

Because you don't have bots in today's level based theme parks?

Oh, please...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You are making the mistake of thinking that the whinging about the loss of "proper MMO's" on MMORPG.com is common among all MMO vets. In my time playing MMO I've met many who you couldn't pay to go back to the tedium and grind of the early MMO's. You could probably guarantee that more people played early MMO's and left because they were not very good to those that stayed. I remember reading Blizzard saying that more people had played and left WoW than actually played it at peak and that most people that played WoW left before level 10. I could see this being common among the older MMO's.

This forum like most genre or hobby forums are a microcosm of a community compared to the whole of the community where many seemingly disenfranchised gamers come to let off steam. Though none of these players ever seem to work out it could be them and not the games that have changed. If I find I'm not enjoying something anymore I do something else not come to a forum and bitch about an entitlement that dev's make me a "proper MMO" while blaming the kids, greed, incompetence, f2p, hardcore, casuals etc...

Oh! and get off my lawn, hmmph. 

It's nice to see posts like this once in a while. It gives hope that not everyone thinks this site represents all mmo players.

Because you don't have bots in today's level based theme parks?

Oh, please...

And you don't even need a bot to exploit a skill based MMO...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    My only regret with regard to earlier MMORPGs, is that the overall gaming experience they offered is not really available anymore.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Skill based MMORPG's just don't work unless you cap how many skill points you can spend and then basically you are doing the same thing as making levels. A combination of the two systems works the best. Games like Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online had the right idea.

Originally posted by Ender4

Skill based MMORPG's just don't work unless you cap how many skill points you can spend and then basically you are doing the same thing as making levels. A combination of the two systems works the best. Games like Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online had the right idea.

That's why all good skill based games, including UO, has a max skill cap.

So unless yours is an alt account you really think you know better than someone that has been conversing on various threads with the accused for the past 4 and half years and knows exactly what Nariusseldon has posted? now remind me what do I need to check out? I suggest you look at sign up dates before presuming anything in future. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    My only regret with regard to earlier MMORPGs, is that the overall gaming experience they offered is not really available anymore.

uh? many are still running. YOu can get exactly the gaming experience they offered.

You'd probably have to touch it 15 times to get your ten foot pole skill up 0.15%. Yep UO was for sure a clickfest to end all clickfests.

*your mouse clicking skill has risen by 0.025%*

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Absolutely! I picked Ultima Online, but it would have been awesome getting to play also SWG. Oh well, at least we have EVE...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran