Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: An MMO In Its Own Right

2»

Comments

• serreniteiserrenitei Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bexinh
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    I must be an idiot, because I just don't get it.

Are they pretty much saying this is for the sandbox players, whereas the real EQN will be "WoW".

you're not alone. Im confused as hell now. Why dont they just focus on developing EQN rather than wasting time and money on another "amazing MMO". I dont have a good feeling about this.

Because they don't have the funds nor staff nor time to finish EQN. 

I've been saying this for weeks now and people can't believe that SoE would be in such a position.

Well they are.

EQL will be heavily monetized, which is why its not a building tool anymore but now its more of a game - they need the funds from EQL for EQN.

They also really need players to make usable assets for EQN - they keep bringing up "co-developing EQN with players" not because its a nice thing to do - they really need help.

EQN team is small - far too small to finish a major AAA groundbreaking MMO. Remember that EQN is on its 3rd iteration/relaunch internally now - SoE has spent a buttloadnof money and the game is nowhere near even fully conceptualized, let alone done.

What SoE needs desperately is to clean house at the top exec level just like Trion did, its time to trim the old dead weight and get SoE refocused.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Where is Grahor now? I demand he comes here immediately to invalidate everything in the Forbes article and keep claiming EQ:L will be just an offline tool to upload stuff into an instanced online space.

I'm here but I'm retired from this discussion. 

The article, however, doesn't actually says anything that is directly contradictable to it being an instanced (never said offline - it always had "joined build" mode) tool.

The cheapest way to do that would be to go Minecraft way: user-created servers, on users' own machines, registered centrally in SOE infrastructure, with 10-20 people that can log into them at one time. This allows group build, guild activities/builds, "elements of combat" whatever the hell it is, and so on.

But honestly, at this point their words mostly remind disjointed rambling with main accent being "we are not sure about details yet (even if we have a release in what, 2 to 6 months? Not sure on details, though...) but it will be epic!"

Yeah, right. Pull one of the others, it's got bells on it.

Hopefully, it'll still be something I can enjoy building in.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

people are mad  not only about the misleading direction of eqn thyeir also mad how it has no0thing but a couple of gods in relation to eq at all  thats it  its missing many major  gods theire not there   dark elfs have horns and ... not evil  no mention of trolls at all.

eqlandmark is like minecrafft on steroids, its a  giant long ass beta test for eqn where  we   i guess make stuff  theyll put in eqn they major difference is eqn has many classes landmark 1 and we cant build  scifi  electric wangs in  eqn but in landmark on a certain continent i think its segreghated... we can make  whatever at least thats what i take from current info

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by quseio

people are mad  not only about the misleading direction of eqn

their also mad how it has no0thing but a couple of gods in relation to eq at all  thats it  its missing many major  gods theire not there   dark elfs have horns and ... not evil  no mention of trolls at all.

the EQN lore is still forthcoming

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/05/soe-live-2013-the-lore-of-everquest-next/

the landscape geography will have norrath names too -- ie Qeynos, Freeport, Halas etc

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Nadia

people are mad  not only about the misleading direction of eqn

their also mad how it has no0thing but a couple of gods in relation to eq at all  thats it  its missing many major  gods theire not there   dark elfs have horns and ... not evil  no mention of trolls at all.

the EQN lore is still forthcoming

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/05/soe-live-2013-the-lore-of-everquest-next/

the landscape geography will have norrath names too -- ie Qeynos, Freeport, Halas etc

sure but what we know is different enough for me already to call it NOT eq no tunare or rallos or cazic  or innoruk nope not eq sorry

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I still can't believe Smedly is still around. From what little I remember in the 'good' ole days of Everquest, of all the drama; Smedly always acted like he hated players, and in return was utterly despised by the playerbase.

sure but what we know is different enough for me already to call it NOT eq

no tunare or rallos or cazic  or innoruk nope not eq sorry

when EQ2 launched - i don't recall there being any gods

Greater Fay didnt even exist until the 3rd expansion

EQ2 dieties were added w EOF expansion in 2006

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Gods

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by DMKanoI don't see anyone here asking them to make a WoW clone - where are you getting this from? 

Sometimes I just don't understand what you actually want. Can you explain it to me?

Sure - give players Landmark as a tool to build as we see fit, not a game with a cash shop.

Focus on making EQN a groundbreaking MMO with open multilayer destructible world, advanced AI they promised, open world bosses and dungeons and all the awesome things they talked about.

Also clean house from the top, there are execs that have been at the company for over 10 years with abysmal performance - the good ol boys need replacing with some younger fresh perspective and ideas - just my 2c

Well I understood that you wanted the EQ they were planning to make, i.e. EQ2 with new graphics. A "wow-clone", even if WoW itself is an EQ-clone.

In your suggestion, how would SOE monetize the tool? B2P? P2P? Free to play, but assets cost money? Making a tool for just builder people isn't going to pay itself back. SOE is a business and they need money.

Sure, it seems they might need cash quickly now, before they can launch EQN.

In any case, how is this detrimental to your preference? You can still play EQ:L free and build whatever you want. You don't have to buy anything from the cash shop. EQ:L was never going to be just an (offline) creation tool such as minecraft creative mode or w/e graphics builder software.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

Called it.  Two separate games.  Spreading the dev team a bit thin imo.  

What happens when EQ:L doesn't bring in as many people as they had hoped?  Scrap EQ:N?

If it's heavily monetized, like someone suggested, I don't see it lifting off the ground.

BUY NOW: The green tree brush! Only 500 SOE coins! 

Originally posted by pmcubed

If it's heavily monetized, like someone suggested, I don't see it lifting off the ground.

BUY NOW: The green tree brush! Only 500 SOE coins! 

SOE said EQNL will not be heavily monetized - but who knows?

what they said before and what happens later is anyones guess

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/forums/thread/396945/EQN-Landmark-bulletlist-from-SOE-fanfaire.html

There will be some microtransactions, but ultimately very little for sale in Landmark

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I think this saga will turn out to be epic.

Whether an epic failure or epic success, time will only tell.

Definitely not the same old things though.....  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Hold on, did he just announce PVP in Landmark? 

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

Originally posted by Kniknax
    Hold on, did he just announce PVP in Landmark? 

PVP wont be there at EQNL launch -- but yes, he said it will be added later

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Cool, thats exciting news.

So far EQNL just sounds like a much prettier version of Ultima Online, which can only be a good thing imho.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    You people that think EQN is going to revolutionize the industry need to go play EQ, EQ2, or Vanguard for a couple of hours....When you see that SOE cant even get simple things right, then don't expect miracles with this game.....My expectations are they will copy minecraft and GW2 as much as possible and try to make as much money as quickly as they can with EQN....They are using the Everquest name for name recognition only.....
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    I was so hyped for this game until i realized they weren't remaking EQ1 at all but that EQN would be "its own beast."

The remake of EQ1 came out ten years ago. World of Warcraft, I think they called it.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by drakkenstaln
    I still can't believe Smedly is still around. From what little I remember in the 'good' ole days of Everquest, of all the drama; Smedly always acted like he hated players, and in return was utterly despised by the playerbase.

Surely hating MMO players is the primary characteristic of an MMO player?

I mean look at these forums. Everyone hates everyone else. Why shouldn't Smedly do the same?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I just keep having this feeling that EQN will be a weird thing as the sum of its parts. I love the fact that they went in a different direction with the world and all that, but I'm scared that the first time I'm in a city surrounded by Belle, The Beast, and Honey Boo Boo the female Dwarf, the thing will just feel strange. Like a churro stand would be appropriate in the same space.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011