Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game rated so highly?

124»

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

If you don't like chocolate, you don't like it.

Moving on.

I love chocolate and this definitively is not chocolate. :-)) Feels like some bad replacement for real chocolate my grandma used for her diabetes once. image

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

At least this mmo doesnt use the console no healer GW2 action trash shit.
    And the irony is that its also for PS3 and PS4 lolz.

FF ARR does what it does and what you expect from a traditional mmo rpg.
    I love it my wife loves it.

GW2 / EQN <----- no thanks.
    I rather play a traditional mmo like this one.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by daltanious

Moving on.

I love chocolate and this definitively is not chocolate. :-)) Feels like some bad replacement for real chocolate my grandma used for her diabetes once. image

Funny thing about chocolate, there's Dark Chocolate, there's Milk Chocolate, there's Chocolate, there's White Chocolate, there's unsweetened chocolate...and more.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Brynn

I quit the game when I reached level 29 and couldn't progress because I couldn't find a group to do a dungeon. I waited an hour at a time, and that was enough for me to lose patience.

The other thing that was a drawback for me, was the cost of travel, making my gil always low. You have to weigh air travel vs teleport vs just running, because you are all over all three areas doing hunting logs, dungeons and just finding quests to do.

Join a FC, that ceases to be a problem.

As for teleport costs, you were a fate baby werent you? The only people who cried about not having gil were those who did nothing but fates to level up.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Grailer
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by mbolme
    It seems a fair quesitn, and it would help me to see more serious answers. I've been sitting on the sideline, bceause I'm not sure I want to pay a monthly fee again. The high rankings of this game intrigure me, though. Why is it rated so high?

Rated so high... If I were to venture a guess (as an admitted fanboy).

1. Polished

2. Music

3. Graphics

4. Art Design

5. Story

6. Deep and satisfying crafting system

7. Amazingly designed Dungeons with no boss ever being a "tank and spank."

8. End Game dungeons and Raiding is hard.  1 month in, no one has beaten coil turn 5.

9. The quests are written VERY well.

10. The world seems alive.

11. Final Fantasy fan service and references to past final fantasies dripping from every pore of the game.

12. "Old School" feel.

13.  Traditional strictly defined party roles.

14. Forced grouping to finish story and progress (some hate it, others LOVE it).

15. Subscription means you're not nickle and dimed for content or convenience (i.e. paying real money for bag space).

16. Some people LOVE traditional tab targeting ( I am one of them, don't like action mmorpgs).

It could be that you love all of the above, or maybe just one of the above.  Some people love the game for the crafting alone.... others love the dialogue in quests.  Some of you, I suspect, either don't care for any of the above, or disagree with me.

The point is, a LOT of people have found something in this game.  I know a lot of people love GW2, but after 2 months, I havn't logged back in once.   To each his own.  If this isn't your cup of tea, then just move on.  This world would be a horrible place ot live if everyone liked and disliked the same things.

Take it from me, there's NOTHING wrong with you if you don't like FFXIV.  However, there is nothing wrong with me for loving this game.  I'll pay the sub x10 over because It's worth every penny.  I subscribed to the 6 month plan.

And more importantly , there is nothing else to play that hasn't already been played to death .

Give it time this game will become extinct as well ,  if it takes less than 1 month to hit 50  , and the end game content just isn't there compared to 1-50  . People will flock to something new that promises more . .. 

Expect FF15 to come out next year maybe :)

FF XV would not be a MMORPG.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I quit the game when I reached level 29 and couldn't progress because I couldn't find a group to do a dungeon. I waited an hour at a time, and that was enough for me to lose patience.

The other thing that was a drawback for me, was the cost of travel, making my gil always low. You have to weigh air travel vs teleport vs just running, because you are all over all three areas doing hunting logs, dungeons and just finding quests to do.

You can favorite up to 3 zones which makes teleporting to those zones much cheaper. Unless you have steady income coming in teleporting everywhere all of the time will put a dent in your money for sure.

I'm a DPS too. If you want to get into dungeons via Duty Finder quickly become a tank, healer, or join a FC and do runs with them. The wait for DPS's can be long.

As a tank or healer be ready when you hit the DF button, because it will launch instantly most of the time.

Originally posted by amber-r

The 9.5s and 10s should be for best of genre or games that did something amazingly new and inovative that's fun and good. FFXIV although ok sure doesn't deserve those scores at all.  It's good to keep in mind that many publishers including square put a ton of weight behind metacritic and how smaller review sites giving 100 scores can have big impacts on the metacritic average (this is where it's good to throw some money around at small unknown sites).

This game doesn't deserve scores above 8.5 no matter how you cut it.  That leads me to believe they were either outright paid for, the reviewers scored it based on how bad XIVv1 was or they didn't play it very long at all and just marked as they would some offline game.  So yeah, paid for, pity vote or a review based on nothing but 4-5 hours play.

About your "best of genre":  have you taken a look at the genre?  You do know that  the "best" need to exist? So which games are the best of the genre and are according to you the ones that should be the only ones to receive 9.5 or 10?

Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by vandal5627

You can't blame FANs for being defensive.  Look at these forums on this website.  All you see these days are toxic haters.  You want FANs to stop being defensive, tell the haters to stop being so offensive.

When they're treating any criticism of the game exactly the same, no matter how it's presented - by attacking the poster - I absolutely can blame them.

It's a matter of actually reading what people are saying, in proper context and responding on the merits of the post. Being immediately hostile toward someone because of "what others have done" is just dishonest and lazy.

And let's not kid ourselves. I've followed and been in this community going back to Alpha (actually, going back to Alpha of 1.0, but that's irrelevant at this point). There have been people quick to rip anyone with a negative opinion to shreds since day 1.

Prove that those "they" treat any criticism of the game exactly the same, no matter how it's presented. Otherwise you've just shown that you can blame something that may not even exist. 

People have different degrees of patience, but did you ever consider to either join a Free Company so that they can help you progress, or stating precisely "I am a dps, I have waited for 1 hour to do dungeon X and I would really appriciate if someone could help me out" at either a city or a place where people appriopiately leveled are? 

Something to realize is that there is likely plenty of people willing to help, but simultaneously people don't want to waste their time if the queues are already short. Since I am rolling tank as my second main combat character, I asked everytime how long time people have waited; and at most it was thirty minutes for the dps on my server. That's the way it has been up to and including "Haukke Manor", which I am guessing is the dungeon you didn't manage to find people for through dungeon finder during 1 hour. 

As for the other part: that extra layer of thinking is precisely one reason for why I want to continue playing FFXIV. I like when I have to think about different decisions and not simply "no brain" one.  I wish gathering and tank clases  had far more such decisions.  (Currently paladin and warrior are too strong compared to marauder and gladiator)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Becuase its a great game, one that doesn't feel it has to 'be different' to be good, and ends up hurting itself for it. We all have our own preferences obviously, but its silly to really bash the game as you did because its 'not different'. Hell, WoW was blatently ripping off most of its elements from EQ1 yet look how huge the game ended up being. Its not whether a game is 'different' or not, its how it carries itself out. Sure, Its not perfect but it does so many areas so well. It literally took me by surprise how much more into the game I was then I initially expected.

Its rated high because people enjoy what it sets to do, and I feel its deserving of a higher rating, unlike some other games that managed to get high ratings yet were lack luster (Swtor and GW2 as examples). Sure, its probably not as 'highly rated' as others view it, but considering thats practically anygame out there, I feel its probably at home where it is. It does so many things right and manages to make itself work, even with sticking to an 'old school' combat system that is even a bit slower then normal. Its quite amazing how it uses a slower pace yet manages to have encounters that are far more frantic and requiring quick reaction then anything WoW has put out in years. It knows what it is and it attempts to improve itself on that, something I think sadly most games forget in their push to be 'new and different'.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by daltanious

Moving on.

Funny thing about chocolate, there's Dark Chocolate, there's Milk Chocolate, there's Chocolate, there's White Chocolate, there's unsweetened chocolate...and more.

I was not speaking about VARIATIONS of chocolate, I have been referring to REPLACEMENTS of chocolate that have - so far - all miserably failed to really replace REAL chocolate, being dark or any other. But I understand you love ARR. :-) I loved always FF series and SE quoted very high in my eyes ... for this reason I barely waited for new release after disaster with 1.0 (which in turn also had a lot of lovers).  Maybe for this my disappointment was so hard.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The problem is quite simply and demonstrably that many people can not and/or will not tolerate a negative opinion about ARR, no matter who it's from, no matter how it's presented. They are attacked all the same. It's been proven over and over again, here, on the official forums and elsewhere.

Of course not, because it's not relevant to the situation in this particular thread.  Why would I bring that up?

Do you seriously think that the two extremes aren't related? Both are just as much at fault for the current situation, which means it is completely related to the current subject because it relates to how fanboys want to convey the game in an environment with unjust and illogical hostility towards the game. Extreme breeds extreme.

Not at all. My reaction to people attacking someone for voicing criticism of the game has absolutely nothing to do with what my reaction to other situations would be.  I react to each situation on a case-by-case basis, on its own merits. I don't treat every situation the same, using the same canned arguments; that's more the forte' of others.

Again, you're arguing based entirely on a presumption of how you assume I might react.

We can all see that you react without taking into account other aspects that are in direct relation to the current issues. You can't just close your eyes and ears on matters that directly affect what you're discussing unless you want to be wrong.

You are, again, reacting to a strawman you've constructed, based entirely on presumptions of something you couldn't possibly know

Funny thing is, for all your ineffective attempts to "turn the tables" or shift the focus on to me, not a single thing I've said in this thread has been affected. At the end of the day, people in this community are still demonstrating intolerance toward someone with a negative opinion of the game.

Of course I wouldn't know because you've been careful not to discuss that part of the topic at all (obviously, as it would make your argument shakier than ever). By the way, nobody cares about you, so why do you want to shift the topic to yourself? Unless you want to talk about the points you have thus far ignored then please, save all of our time. We don't care.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by MrEvilDr

Extremely overrated game that brings nothing new to the genre. I got bored very quickly with it and will not be paying past the first month for this game. If it were to go free to play, it might be something worth trying out. However, I feel as though I've wasted my money by testing this game for a month.It may be the case that I didn't give the game much of a chance, as I only got to level 15 or so, but I have no intention of trying it any further. The combat feels extremely slow paced and monotonous, especially early in the game. Nothing really grabbed my attention and made me want to progress further. There were far to many run-of-the-mill "Slay X Ladybirds", "Collect X Ladybird Shell" and "Talk to Gary, then talk to Steve, then travel half way across the map to talk to Joseph" quests which completely ruined my experience.On the upside, the game is aesthetically beautiful and I was thoroughly impressed with the graphics options (There were separate "Laptop" graphics settings separate from "Desktop" settings to help my laptop's performance greatly).Just to say these are, of course, my personal opinions and I don't mean in any way to offend anyone who enjoys and plays the game. I really want to enjoy it due to all the praise the game has had from IRL friends, but I can't.My question is, what have I missed that keeps people playing this game? I know I'll definitely need to progress further in the game to appreciate it more, but why should I?

The same reason SWTOR and WAR were rated so highly.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I prefer trinity combat and traditional MMOs, but I would take GW2 combat over FFXIV combat any day. Even in its zergiest most clusterf... mess, GW2 combat is infinitely more enjoyable than FFXIV combat.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by MrEvilDr

Extremely overrated game that brings nothing new to the genre. I got bored very quickly with it and will not be paying past the first month for this game. If it were to go free to play, it might be something worth trying out. However, I feel as though I've wasted my money by testing this game for a month.

It may be the case that I didn't give the game much of a chance, as I only got to level 15 or so, but I have no intention of trying it any further. The combat feels extremely slow paced and monotonous, especially early in the game. Nothing really grabbed my attention and made me want to progress further. There were far to many run-of-the-mill "Slay X Ladybirds", "Collect X Ladybird Shell" and "Talk to Gary, then talk to Steve, then travel half way across the map to talk to Joseph" quests which completely ruined my experience.

On the upside, the game is aesthetically beautiful and I was thoroughly impressed with the graphics options (There were separate "Laptop" graphics settings separate from "Desktop" settings to help my laptop's performance greatly).

Just to say these are, of course, my personal opinions and I don't mean in any way to offend anyone who enjoys and plays the game. I really want to enjoy it due to all the praise the game has had from IRL friends, but I can't.

My question is, what have I missed that keeps people playing this game? I know I'll definitely need to progress further in the game to appreciate it more, but why should I?

OH NO! I subscribed to the 6 month plan.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I prefer trinity combat and traditional MMOs, but I would take GW2 combat over FFXIV combat any day. Even in its zergiest most clusterf... mess, GW2 combat is infinitely more enjoyable than FFXIV combat.

Now I don't think there is enough hyperbole to make your statement count as much as it could. Maybe more superlatives would do it?

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    K great , let me know if you ever find this elusive completely different, super innovative, infinite content MMO that allows you to form a valid opinion of it by the time youre level 15.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This game is just what I want in my MMORPG.

Joined - July 2004

• MrEvilDrMrEvilDr Member Posts: 84

I can only assume that English isn't the first language of many of the people posting on this thread. Granted, I could have worded things a little better and perhaps "Extremely overrated game..." was a bad way to start this post (Although I clearly announce that it's an opinion and I'm in no way shoving it down everyone else's throat like some). However, the title of the post is simply a question to the fans as to what features warrant such a high rating. I'm not saying "Why is this game rated so highly? It definitely doesn't deserve this rating" - I just want reasons. 

Since this post I've played the game a little further and reached level 20 with a different class which I much prefer (although the skills are almost identical in my opinion). I'm enjoying it more so now than I was before as I've found a group of people in-game to play with, naturally making my experience much better. 

A few of you made some very helpful posts which led to me trying out the game further, but I've simply had to ignore a lot of the hate heh. It's only natural when a person says something negative about a game they enjoy I guess. I appreciate the very few that did read the OP properly and gave some helpful advice and explained some of the features!

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    In all honesty the reviews are way too high, the game is somewhere between a 7 and 8 right now, nothing more.