Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Setting/Lore would you like to see in a MMORPG?

Comments

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    there has been no good "Horror" mmo with the exception of the amazing The Secret World. I'd love to see vampires v/s werewolves in pvp, witches, etc etc etc Set it either in an old world setting or a new world setting, I don't care. A lot could be done with it. Different classes of Vampires and witches and werewolves, and of course the "hunters". Factions could be set up across the boards, but no faction grind. Pvp "ranks" or "degrees" depending on your class and race. Etc etc
  • Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    Matrix Online was actually pretty interesting and had unique combat. Sure it wasn't fast paced in today's mmo genre where you have to constantly mash buttons and watch cooldowns with out much paying attention to the fight unless you have plenty of macro's set up. I've found things TOO fast paced lately. It's hard to really pay attention to combat when you are constantly keeping an eye on buttons. Matrix Online's downfall was it's design of instances, how most of them were too similar. At the same time I agree. I would LOVE to see a deep cyberpunk game.
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

I would like to see mmorpg with new lore that is inspired and not generic, that is all!

Industry works in a brutal way, where company decides to make a game, plans game mechanics, and then hires a bunch of writers to make up some background story for it.

I would like to see a situation, where idea comes first and then game is built around it. Some single players have soul, every mmorpg feels like the lore was created to compliment game mechanics, while story telling should be priority in my opinion. Specially in rpg genre.

And I also think that after so many years and so many games, people should have at least that tiny bit of imagination to pull off something more original than another elf and dwarf race. It just feels to lazy after all this time.

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I'm fond of the medievalish theme, but I'd like something a bit darker than most current MMOs, possibly with angels and demons. World of Diablo would be nice.
  • LeemadoLeemado Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by Metanol

Fourth: Iron age europe. Fall of Rome and all that. Celts, saxons, Englaland - barbarian love.

Picts! (thinks movie "Centurion"). Bloody slaugher! Yay!

Actually, a MMORPG based on a mix of "Centurion" and "King Arthur" (two badly underrated movies, sadly) would definitely be very interesting. Both happen around the "Hadrian's Wall".

Count me in!

No or low magic would also be great.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    1. I would love a good, in-depth Steampunk setting with an emphasis on crafting and invention. None of this aesthetic steampunk veneer painted over a traditional themepark mmo, but a world built by players using a very detailed, complex system of steampunk technology where the society that advances the fastest can acheive dominance. A nice ffa pvp sandbox driven by a flexible and broad system of invention and crafting, basically. Perks for organization and order to promote some semblance of order, but ultimately complete freedom to shape your setting as you see fit with the miracles of steam devices. Original setting rather than Victorian to facilitate a player-created society rather than a society that constrains players with pre-existing conventions.
    2. A mmorpg of "ascension." Players can, through PvP, sometimes achieve a sort of demi-god status. This allows them to accept followers (other players) which they can bestow blessing upon and favor in battle in an active sense. If your followers act contrary to your wishes, you can revoke their powers. The purpose of the game is to eliminate all other would-be-gods via your followers and your own abilities, should you decide to risk your demi-godhood in battle. Alliances could be formed as a sort of pantheon if there is a common cause, leading to all manner of possibilities for  civil holy wars down the road. Perhaps the game could be a perma-death game unless one is aligned to a demi-god, and that player is responsible for all resurrections among his/her followers. Perhaps different "god" classes to choose from to reflect the different ideologies of differing faiths, and maybe a limit on the number of demi-gods who can exist at one time. You know, to encourage good ole-fashioned uprising-deicide.
    3. A mmorpg based on raising and riding flying mounts. Kinda Pern-like. A world of floating islands up for grabs as one or another faction seeks dominance. Plenty of dungeons and ruins and forts to seek out to balance out the ground and air action. Each faction could have different mounts with different strengths and weaknesses. Griffons are badass, but have no distance attacks, while perhaps drakes are hollow-boned squishies with powerful breath attacks, ect. Control the skies locally against opposing player factions to reap the rewards of the islands in the region. Build up your fort's surface-to-sky defenses to strengthen that control. The more diversity in your faction's island catalogue, the better gear you can make for players and mounts alike, not to mention rare foodstuffs found on contested islands that can advance your mount's powers in various ways.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    A mmorpg based on raising and riding flying mounts. Kinda Pern-like. A world of floating islands up for grabs as one or another faction seeks dominance. Plenty of dungeons and ruins and forts to seek out to balance out the ground and air action. Each faction could have different mounts with different strengths and weaknesses. Griffons are badass, but have no distance attacks, while perhaps drakes are hollow-boned squishies with powerful breath attacks, ect. Control the skies locally against opposing player factions to reap the rewards of the islands in the region. Build up your fort's surface-to-sky defenses to strengthen that control. The more diversity in your faction's island catalogue, the better gear you can make for players and mounts alike, not to mention rare foodstuffs found on contested islands that can advance your mount's powers in various ways.

Have you checked out "Dragon's Prophet"?

My computer is better than yours.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    A mmorpg based on raising and riding flying mounts. Kinda Pern-like. A world of floating islands up for grabs as one or another faction seeks dominance. Plenty of dungeons and ruins and forts to seek out to balance out the ground and air action. Each faction could have different mounts with different strengths and weaknesses. Griffons are badass, but have no distance attacks, while perhaps drakes are hollow-boned squishies with powerful breath attacks, ect. Control the skies locally against opposing player factions to reap the rewards of the islands in the region. Build up your fort's surface-to-sky defenses to strengthen that control. The more diversity in your faction's island catalogue, the better gear you can make for players and mounts alike, not to mention rare foodstuffs found on contested islands that can advance your mount's powers in various ways.

Have you checked out "Dragon's Prophet"?

I have not, other than a cursory glance. Perhaps I should :)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by drakolas
    I'm fond of the medievalish theme, but I'd like something a bit darker than most current MMOs, possibly with angels and demons. World of Diablo would be nice.

Diablo is already close enough to a MMO. It is about small group dungeon runs and loot. I doubt one can add much more fun (particulalry to me) if you turn diablo into a full MMO.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Early American Themed sandbox. 

Settlers, Natives, Explorers, Colonials etc... Player created tribes, city states, frontiers, etc.. Open world building, work to survive, civil FFA world.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DajagDajag Member Posts: 55

A lot of cool Ideas already.

I would love to see a SCI-FI Universe where players are given the opportunity to create the races in a contest before the game is developed, then the top 30 races are voted for and each gets a planet in a Galaxy. The players select the race they want to play and get to help design that planet, lore and atmosphere.

The game  needs to be crafting and resource dependent heavy. Great spaceships where skills like computer / gunner/ navigator/ doctor, even cook come into play so your crew is key. Space battles over resources, or bandits or planet exploration. Let players go wild building on their planet and conquering space. Race alliances, or battles, all based on individuals like a good RPG-MMO should be.

No Classes just skills!!!! I am not talking EVE like but a real MMO-RPG.

A Surreal setting based on the planes, where players enter into realms unknown, where each realm is different and the rules change. Players would be forced to adapt, Anything goes, from guns to lazers to magic. Great for PvP also set three teams into a realm to aquire an item or multiple goals. Skill based, heavly dependant on character customization.

• SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93

Dragonlance would be a fantastic setting for an mmo. 

Richard Blade series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blade_(series)

Read almost the entire series, great fun.  I think it could make another fantastic setting for an mmo.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

For me personally I would have to say that #1 is a Western.  It seems like it needs to be done.  Red Dead Redemption really makes the fact that this hasn't be done sad. 

1. Western:  Red Dead Redemption style.
    2. Post Apocalypse Fantasy:  A world setting where a technologically advanced civ based on magic goes backwards due to cataclysmic event.  Mix of low magic tech and traditional fantasy.
    3. Steampunk
    4. Modern Fantasy
    5. Grimy Dark Ages with no magic

I would say those are my top 5 right now.  

EDIT:  Forgot an exploration game one huge server world with a lot of focus on trade, travel, resources and exploration.   A sandbox like discovering the "New World."

There are some games:

1. There was one in development somewhere can't remember.

2. Hell Gate London 

3. Final Fantasy XIV

4. World of Darkness (not out yet)

5. Can't think of anything yet

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Leemado

Fourth: Iron age europe. Fall of Rome and all that. Celts, saxons, Englaland - barbarian love.

Actually, a MMORPG based on a mix of "Centurion" and "King Arthur" (two badly underrated movies, sadly) would definitely be very interesting. Both happen around the "Hadrian's Wall".

Count me in!

Dark Age of Camelot and Roma Victor(which is gone now) are smiling.

Originally posted by bcbully

Settlers, Natives, Explorers, Colonials etc... Player created tribes, city states, frontiers, etc.. Open world building, work to survive, civil FFA world.

Play Salem! It's exactly that.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by aspekx

i think focusing on a specific lore, with very specific characters in it, in the end just does not work out well for devs or players of an mmo.

also, why would you want to play in any medieval setting (early or late) without magic? there's a reason we don't continue to live that way when given the opportunity.

Already established lore means nice things. It means that we, players, can explore a setting what we love personally, by playing. Pre-established lore feels like it has a meaning, pre-established countries, history and major events. It gives the devs time to do something else than sit on their asses, thinking "Loool, lets just add dragons and mummies and pandas fighting orcs."

And to your second question. What?!

What you need to remember is that we're talking about GAMES. Entertainment. Different strokes for different folks.

I must admit I have a fascination for these dark times. Get yourself a copy of Mount&Blade: Warband and download Brytenwalda.

The history of Europe as whole interests me and I would love a brutal, dark AAA quality game set into Englaland (or middle europe, or why not scandinavia!?) - What you need to remember is that we're talking about GAMES. Entertainment. Different strokes for different folks.

What kind of an explanation is that magic part? Magic added to a medieval setting suddenly makes it playable? That makes no sense to me.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    +1 for low magic fantasy. No elves, no dwarves, no unicorns, no flying mounts or fiery anything. Magic, if it exists at all, would be subtle and out of the reach of the player. A world of politics and faction based intrigue in which you begin a pawn and become a player and real progression is about wealth and influence, not gear and stats. It's the other kind of 'adult fantasy', the one that doesn't involve massive breasts and chainmail bikinis. 
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

A Forgotten Realms mmos, that has a good amount of land to start, is at least a sandbox type hybrid.  Say something maybe along the lines of EQNext (exploration, building and supposedly crafting wise, not skill setup), but with more realistic type graphics for the setting.  The destructibility can be toned down to allow the more realistic/dark type setting that I think would go with Forgotten Realms.  A modern Vanguard land mass setting, with even its crafting/harvesting type settings also would be good to plug in also.  Keep the rails out and instances as low as technically possible....If you gotta have zones to do it, I would rather have a stutter for a split second zone line, then instances everywhere.

Forgotten Realms is my favorite fantasy setting, but I didn't want to touch the last offering, did a beta event and I probably only lasted a hour before I decided it wasn't up my alley.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Already established lore means nice things. It means that we, players, can explore a setting what we love personally, by playing. Pre-established lore feels like it has a meaning, pre-established countries, history and major events. It gives the devs time to do something else than sit on their asses, thinking "Loool, lets just add dragons and mummies and pandas fighting orcs."

Pre-established lore quickly becomes a straight-jacket because you can't let the world evolve naturally, can't let players actually affect the course of history because you have to stay within the established IP. 

You also have to end up building very artifical dynamics fior your world since the lore is telling you the outcome of the world's ecology, economics and politics in advance, rather than letting it emerge from a set of simulations.

( that said, there exists a niche for themeparks that walk you through lore and yes, right now they dominate the landscape.  They will probably always exist because they are pretty reliable, measurable investments - you can predict the costs of generating content and run metrics on how fast people consume each zone and become impatient.  It makes for a very manageable business ... and in that context, you're basically just taking more-or-less the same game and slapping on new skins of IP, so sure, it becomes just another way to present iconic stories as interactive walkthroughs )

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Leemado

Count me in!

Dark Age of Camelot and Roma Victor(which is gone now) are smiling.

Not to burst your bubble, but DAoC was/is high magic.

Sixth: Proper LOTR adaptation. None of this Turbine stuff. Any age works.

Indeed, that would be nice. When Turbine dropped "MEO" (Middle-Earth Online) to switch to "WoW clone" mode renaming the game "LOTRO" (Lord of the Rings Online), I was really, really pissed.

Meee too brother. Do you remember the Elves of Imladris at all?

Originally posted by Shayyd80
    there has been no good "Horror" mmo with the exception of the amazing The Secret World.

Well yeah, the setting was nice, but it was more of a singleplayer game than an MMO. It was originally developed as one anyway, then they tacked on some basic multiplayer to justify the monthly fee.

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Sixth: Proper LOTR adaptation. None of this Turbine stuff. Any age works.

Indeed, that would be nice. When Turbine dropped "MEO" (Middle-Earth Online) to switch to "WoW clone" mode renaming the game "LOTRO" (Lord of the Rings Online), I was really, really pissed.

Meee too brother. Do you remember the Elves of Imladris at all?

Yeah. I also remember elves having a different form of currency, not gold, as it should have been, in MEO.

What a waste of a good game. Just like UO2. A shame.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by maplestone

Pre-established lore quickly becomes a straight-jacket because you can't let the world evolve naturally, can't let players actually affect the course of history because you have to stay within the established IP. 

You also have to end up building very artifical dynamics fior your world since the lore is telling you the outcome of the world's ecology, economics and politics in advance, rather than letting it emerge from a set of simulations.

( that said, there exists a niche for themeparks that walk you through lore and yes, right now they dominate the landscape.  They will probably always exist because they are pretty reliable, measurable investments - you can predict the costs of generating content and run metrics on how fast people consume each zone and become impatient.  It makes for a very manageable business ... and in that context, you're basically just taking more-or-less the same game and slapping on new skins of IP, so sure, it becomes just another way to present iconic stories as interactive walkthroughs )

this is exactly my point.

secondly, as for magic, all i did was present my feelings on it, not a dogmatic statement. i wouldn't see the point. if you actually know what the middle ages were like for the average person ... might make an interesting crafting game, or farming game. we could all play: avoid starvation in winter and malnutrition that drives the player to an early death? or dodge the plague? if you mean intrigue or power struggles that will be in the hierarchy, not with the average person. do you really want 3000 people on a server who are lords and ladies of ... whatever?

kidding aside, i would be interested in what the medievalists would want to do in a realistic medieval setting where most of life for the average person centered around raising and gathering enough food to survive. yes there were merchants and tradesfolk. but you didn't need 5 blacksmiths in a village. i dont mean to imply that the people of that time had no joy, or feasts, or enjoyment in life. i just think what they gained from life doesn't translate well into entertainment in this medium.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Oxiplegatz
    Dune would be cool

I agree that Dune would be great, but it would have some of the issues that Star Wars has concerning likely pitfalls (who can fight against Bene Gesserit or Honored Matres in close combat?).

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by bcbully

Oh the politically correct await this effort! This will be the new GTA for people to beat their breasts and tear their beards over. Video Game corruption of the World Citizen for 500 Alex.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011