Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Yoshi-P Signed Standard Edition Giveaway!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com has partnered with Square Enix to give away a couple copies of the physical standard edition of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. We've got three copies total, including one signed by Naoki "Yoshi-P" Yoshida himself!

Entering for your chance to win is simple: All you need to do is tell us (in 200 words or less) what the Final Fantasy series means to you in the comments below. We'll pick out three of our favorite entries and award the grand prize signed copy to our absolute favorite.

Entries will be accepted between today and Thursday, October 17. We'll announce our winners next week on Friday, October 18.

Multiple entries are not allowed. Users who are found to have submitted multiple entries will be disqualified. The comments thread below is for submissions only. Discussion posts will be removed.

NOTE: Prizes are North American PC versions of the game.

CORRECTION: This is the standard edition of the game. Sorry!

Comments

• Jaycee417Jaycee417 Member Posts: 9
    final fantasy is love, final fantasy is life.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    CORRECTION: This is the standard edition of the game. Sorry!
  • sagacytesagacyte Member Posts: 1

FF is the franchise that taught me that story and music are important parts of a game. My first FF was IV, and it was an incredible experience from start to end. From that point forward, almost 21 years later, it has been a franchise that has been at the core of my gaming experience.

Not only did I enjoy the characters and story, the music captivated me in a way no other game music had before. Years later it is these very things that captured the imagination of my wife and son, and we – as a family – enjoy these works of art. We enjoy watching each other play, and enjoy sharing the experience. We’re currently in love with number XIV and I enjoy the little nods to the franchise’s history.

Some say the series are not what they used to be, or may prefer the old days of FF. But we do this because it impacted us in a few other franchises have. We fondly remember memories of worlds, characters and stories that enraptured us.

This is Final Fantasy for me, and my family.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 146

The Final Fantasy series was in many ways what shaped my expectations and ideas of what a fantasy RPG should be.  Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (5 and 6 elsewhere) were the first games that I really devoted a lot of time to playing and beating.  I still remember the feeling of accomplishment that I got taking Kefka down.

Playing Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn has brought a lot of those feelings back up.  The joy of the “level up music”, the familiar and effective class and magic system, the cut scenes and “feel” of the world.  I won’t lie, I was giddy the first time I rode a Chocobo and heard that song!

The Final Fantasy series is like a nice, warm blanket on a cold winter night.  It is a series that holds a lot of old memories and nostalgia, but continues to evolve and grow to allow for new memories to be created.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    final fantasy is a tradition and a mythology all its own.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SoldorSoldor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I have played/owned every Final Fantasy game. I was 14 when FF7 came out. I remember standing in line at EB Games to get my reserved copy. They gave out a free FF t-shirt with purchase. I loved that game so much I would wear my shirt out in public at a critical time in my teenage years where every move I made would determine if I was "cool" or not. But when u love something that much, u don't care what others think. And yes I shed a tear when Aeris died. Don't judge me :)
  • For myself, Final Fantasy has always been about the journey and not so much the destination. I love a good grind where the end result just leaves you staring at a screen satisfied and proud of what you accomplished. Playing Final Fantasy games can really just suck you out of the world you're currently living in and give you a virtual one to care and harbor concern for. As somebody who is currently trying to juggle being a college student, having a full time job, learning to live on my own, and still being able to spend time with friends Final Fantasy is more than just a game for me it can be an escape from a stressful life. What these games give me can never be replaced, and that's why I continue to play them.
  • malachremalachre Member CommonPosts: 4
    I love these worlds! 
  • GramnonGramnon Member UncommonPosts: 4

Final Fantasy can move you to tears or leave you cold.

It can be a passion, a burden, a pleasure, a vice.

You may love it, you may hate it.

It had its ups an it had its downs.

Perhaps it is what the fox says.

It's simply more than words can describe.

The world without Final Fantasy would have lost its fantasy.

• LarklenLarklen Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy, to be honest, has been much more the a game. It has been an escape. Life always has ups and unfortunately, it has many downs; during these times the FF series has allowed me to separate myself from probing issues, and just relax and breath. It would not be a stretch to say that the FF series has actually improved my life, as after playing the game, I am relaxed and can focus on any issues at hand.

Going back to the years I was in school, while always providing time away from studies, it became a common ground topic and made it easier to meet new people. Talking to someone you don't know with no known similarities is incredibly difficult for many, but having FF as a starting point really opens the gates to more topics.

In the end, Final Fantasy is by far one of the most influential gaming series in my life, and forever will be. The soundtrack, visuals, and story are just three of the aspects that make it such an impact on lives.

To everyone who has worked on FF and those who will in the future, thank you.

• fdisk81fdisk81 Member Posts: 7

Final Fantasy means a lot to me; like many, it was my first RPG, but it was also how I learned English. When I was a little kid in Cuba (I was 6), I would play Final Fantasy 1 on my NES (Hidden since those were illegal to own) in my room with a Spanish-English dictionary next to me in order to understand the story and what to do next.

In 1994 we escaped Cuba to go to Venezuela; Final Fantasy 6 came out that year but as new immigrants we were very poor. I remember my dad worked absurdly long hours and my mom took sewing curtains for rich people on the side even though she was a Doctor in order for them to surprise me that Christmas with an SNES and a copy of Final Fantasy 6; I'm getting choked up thinking about it.

Final Fantasy has always been a huge part of my life, it was at many times my only escape from a dictator's oppression, extreme poverty, and frequent school bullying. My life is much better now, but Final Fantasy will forever have a very special place in it.

• smexylexie321smexylexie321 Member Posts: 1

my first Final Fantasy was FFXI. i love it.  final fantasy is a great place to get out of the real world.  you can be anyone you want. a healer to revive the dead and heal the wound, a tank to protect the weak and protect your friends. a mage to wreck havoc on the monsters. Be a thief and steal from everyone’s :D. worlds are beautiful, you can sit on a beach or get lost in a jungle. Go bug hunting in a nest. I will always be a final fantasy fan. 

• mcimcimcimci Member Posts: 1

The Final Fantasy series means never giving up, especially on your passion. I watched a documentary not too long ago about how the first FF was made. Although it was shot down several times for being an RPG, the creator never gave up on it. This shows through in a lot of the stories about sticking through till the bitter end. There will always be tough times and obstacles, but you just need to keep moving forward. and not give up.

Just as many people were starting to heavily doubt the series, once again they pushed through the scrutiny and didn't give up. Now the FF series is back to being one of the top RPGs on the market. For many of us, as children we got this message through the story of each game in a unique form. As an adult the meaning is even more clear to me personally, as the whole series and its creation has meaning.

• zerozenxzerozenx Member Posts: 1
    The Final Fantasy series means hope to me.  Each is a story of a world attacked by evil and defended by people willing to overcome their own issues to help.  Many characters have been unsure of themselves through the game and didn't always show the traits you would assume a "hero" would have, but in the end their true nature shined through.  I like to imagine this is how our world is now and there are people out there that have the ability to change things but don't know it yet.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Final Fantasy is simply a delight. A wonderful time of exploration and discovery. A genuinely fantastical series of worlds that allows us to forget the troubles of our own. And shouldn't that be the goal of any game.

All die, so die well.

• GreentrongGreentrong Member UncommonPosts: 3

From Final Fantasy one to Kingdom heart and Final Fantasy XIII is just one huge epic battle in different time to save their universe from evil and destruction. Final Fantasy series capture the heart of the player and core of the game. It’s not the graphic that makes the series so great. It’s the uniqueness of each character, composition of the music, and epic story line that make players like me feel like they are a part of that universe. Final Fantasy series is an unforgettable legacy and there will be no "Final" ending to their story.

• Tumult032Tumult032 Member Posts: 1

VII was escapism at first. Things were difficult at home and what started as interesting gameplay mechanics turned into a magnificent story of heroes. Wasn’t Cloud’s narrative something we all shared: believing we were something greater than we really are? Going so far as to lie to ourselves, forgoing our own talents to make ourselves into what we think is right. We get lost and make mistakes. Cloud’s story is our story. We are human.

The courage it took Sakaguchi to continue his work after the loss of his mother and to have that event permeate into the story of VII is a most beautiful tribute to her. Aerith’s death resonated in so many; it was as if we could feel what he was feeling at the time. His loss was our loss.

In the end, I can identify with Mr. Sakaguchi, and the irony of what came after his last stich effort: his “final fantasy” becoming anything but in 1987. His stories of underdogs would continue after the first incarnation and keep the affection of many generations after. To say I love the series would be an understatement. There are no words to describe my feelings for Final Fantasy.

• DeathDealer2DeathDealer2 Member UncommonPosts: 24

The Final Fantasy universe to me means an unexplored territory where there will be rewards for one's adventures and at the same time never punishment for something out of a user's control.

I have yet to play anything Final Fantasy except the beta (I loved it), but I really want to "become part of the team" after seeing FF and hearing FF. I would love to support a product that supports its users. In one word Final Fantasy to me is Opportunity

• crixus44crixus44 Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy to me is a world I can go to escape the real world. I can leave my stress behind and surround myself with a world that has brought me happiness and joy all these years growing up into an adult and  still enjoying. This is most true with the new FFXIV a realm reborn. I love being able to dive into this game and just look around for hours at the beautiful landscape and creatures which you can not do in real life. Final Fantasy will always be the perfect fantasy!

• draf05draf05 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Final Fantasy means to me, the begining of my journey in the RPG genre games, and its responsible for my passion toward this genre (I hardly like a game without at least some RPG traces). Final Fantasy means remarkable stories, unforgettable heroes (and villains), amazing worlds, unlimited fun. I always loved the Final Fantasy series, and i'm pretty sure i will continue to love, til the true FINAL Fantasy(And probably, even after that).
  • SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    The Final Fantasy series doesn't mean much to me. But as an avid game, who's currently a little low on the money. Getting this game would mean everything. I can't afford it right now, but man it looks so damn good.
  • PappabeardkPappabeardk Member UncommonPosts: 14

What Final Fantasy means to me?

As an ispiring writer, it is humbling that any FF game in the series can tell in hours, stories of a magnitude I doubt I will ever write in a lifetime

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Final Fantasy was my first RPG series, and without it, I wouldn't be a gamer. a PS1 Demo of FFVIII Changed my life, introducing me to the hobby that I would have for the next 10 years.Thanks for the Countless hours of entertainment, Final Fantasy! Without that first demo I might not have ever played any RPGs or MMORPGs, which would be a travesty. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• awwjwahawwjwah Member Posts: 11

Final Fantasy taught me  what immersion actually is.

It showed me that the digital medium of story telling didn't have to take place in front of me while I play the part of only a witness.

It surrounded me with choices, lore, sounds and filled me with passion, indecision and regret as I did not just watch but as I became the character.

Final Fantasy more than anything else taught me what it meant to be the protagonist and feel the weight of a tough decision upon my shoulders and that choice means consequence.

Final Fantasy means excellence.

• bobedwardsbobedwards Member UncommonPosts: 2
    The Final Fantasy series, to me, is about life and death, warnings and signs, what *could* be and what *should* be.  Every story has a beginning, middle and end.  Usually this is enough.  With FF, however, this is not enough.  We are made to feel, as the characters feel.  We can see their reasons.  We *understand*.  We are able to make connections both in and out of the game, based on these understandings.  These social and personal mechanics.  We are able to better understand the concepts of love and loss.  Of wanton cruelty and duty.  Of friendship and hate.  In being able to understand and "see" through these characters' eyes, we better our relationships, our lives, ourselves.
This discussion has been closed.