Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge's creative freedom

Comments

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by superscott99
    Predict it will NOT be included in NA release. Irresponsibilty runs rampant over here, especially on the internet, and a freedom like this would be abused. Sad though, it's probably one of the better tools I've ever seen in a sandbox.

I agree it is a nice feature in a way, but I think it cannot be put in players's hands. You do not log in a fantasy world to see the same commercials and plenty of other stuff you are annoyed with IRL.

Then destroy it?

Eleanor Rigby.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

There is absolutely no chance, none, 0% that this feature or anything like it will make it into Trion's AA, or any major Western MMO.   Western players and especially US ones simply aren't mature enough by and large to be able to handle other people's preferences.  Also Western/US laws would never allow this feature to exist without massive oversight by Trion, costing them thousands of man-hours.

It is interesting to read about how this is being used in the Korean version, but again, for better or worse, this will not, under any circumstances, be in Trion's version.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

On one hand... I can see how this could be used to create controversial imagery and messages. So removing this from the feature set seems like a good idea to prevent abuse.

But on the other hand, by removing this feature the game is guided back towards the same feature set that many other MMOs already have.

In other words, it's a standout feature that's unlike the majority of games in the same market.

In other words, I'm just so tired of MMOs getting cranked out that have pretty much the same features. Keep the darn system in, and let people who like it, play it. And those who don't like it can either ignore it, or find another game to play; one that suits their preferences and style.

Not every MMOs has to appeal to every MMO player.

We're our own worst enemies when it comes to the products being marketed to us.

• AbsolemAbsolem Member Posts: 19

Erm, you've been able to do stuff like this in games like Second Life for a while, why not ArcheAge??

Maybe Trion wouldn't do it though.

Also, Rollie, you gonna PM me back yet? Lol.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I could have dealt with the cars and other "steampunk" leanings. But this? Not for me. While I'll say the creations shown are rather well done, they stick out like a sore thumb. I really don't want to pass by a Mcdonalds or disneyland while playing a game like this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZornhauZornhau Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Treekodar
    Originally posted by superscott99
    Predict it will NOT be included in NA release. Irresponsibilty runs rampant over here, especially on the internet, and a freedom like this would be abused. Sad though, it's probably one of the better tools I've ever seen in a sandbox.

I agree it is a nice feature in a way, but I think it cannot be put in players's hands. You do not log in a fantasy world to see the same commercials and plenty of other stuff you are annoyed with IRL.

Then destroy it?

I am not sure you can destroy everything everywhere in the game.

It would be a full time job destroying this stuff anyway.

I think RL commercials have no place in fantasy MMOs. Having Haris Pilton NPC in your game is one thing, but having vending machines and commercials all over the place is too much, imo.

I think if Trion restricted this tool set for use only in the Northern continent where PvPers can destroy any potentially offensive buildings that'll be a cool thing to do :D. May create more politics/drama.

• julizsjulizs Member Posts: 9
    Actually i'm suprised this even made it into the korean version, almost all the pictures you can see are copyright protected, anyone can sue XLGames for a good amount of money.

never be enough

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by julizs
    Actually i'm suprised this even made it into the korean version, almost all the pictures you can see are copyright protected, anyone can sue XLGames for a good amount of money.

Yeap.. like they have sued youtube. And nevertheless youtube is running and very successful. o.O

• seldomseen13seldomseen13 Member Posts: 16

I love it. I have no idea if I will actually play this game, but at least its a step in the direction of nonconformity in mmo's. The more interesting tweaks that the more games have the better. If its in trouble for being too sandboxy, its good for the genre. I get that if you thought AA was the next  promising title and you don't want a pop concert between you and the orcs in your next mmo, it sucks. However, that house linked earlier in the thread is one of the funniest things I have seen in any mmo. There will be funny stuff.

I sure hope you can destroy property with some degree of ease, because I might spec into vendor machine destruction, or K Pop mayhem clown.

For those already lamenting the lack of maturity in the gaming community, may I remind you one thing: Its a GAMING community. There will be funny, trolly, immature crap everywhere. That's the deal. Shuffleboard has a much more mature community with way less trolling if that's you cup of tea.

• HugolinHugolin Member UncommonPosts: 83

this game is rated 18+ so giant penis towers should be ok

dont let ur kids play it, but anyway if u let them play cod and kill people and u dont let them play games that have tits, u are probably from usa...so...yeah...usa morals, medieval morals lets say, i like asian morals, if u can kill someone u can also fuck him or see their tits...its fair

• lucas12lucas12 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Kumapon

For those that don't know ArcheAge has a built in creation tool set. Using this tool set players can import pictures files in the game and then place them on various objects that they have created in game.

Korean players have created some weird and wild creations.

Here is an example, a Korean player has created their own Starbucks using the creation tools, and is selling Frabs and Mocha's!

Again using the tools you can create anything you want, we will have to see if Trion will have these tool for the Na version.

black desert are crying now. 

ARCHEAGE THE BEST GAME EVER WHOAAAAAAAAAH

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

While it's nice players can do such thing it has the bad side too. I can't really link all the stuff I have seen in here since that would get me banned. Go check here and you might get the idea http://drolyag.imgur.com/archeage

I have a feeling ArcheAge won't be rated as mature in western release they might be dropping the ucc art all together it's too hard to moderate such things. Well not hard, but will require a lot of work hours. Creative art is always nice, but seeing naked males everywhere is kinda turnoff for me.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• Default101Default101 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    So a game hints at giving players total creative freedom and everyone recoils because they might end up seeing something they don't like? And you wonder why we get such watered down, uninspiring, cookie cutter games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Default101
    So a game hints at giving players total creative freedom and everyone recoils because they might end up seeing something they don't like? And you wonder why we get such watered down, uninspiring, cookie cutter games.

Yes that's exactly it. You've nailed it.

Players are recoiling because they might see something that they don't like.

Has nothing to do with some players being tacky in their choices and turning the game world into an "everything but the kitchen sink" experience.

I guess you are suggesing that those are our only choices? watered down, uninspiring cookie cutter games or unsuitable, gaudy iconography by players with no sense of wholistic design.

Heck, maybe some will get clever and reach out to corporate sponsors and offer their services by advertising in game.? What a wondrous world we live in.

well, we'll see what Trion includes as far as player freedoms.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Has nothing to do with some players being tacky in their choices and turning the game world into an "everything but the kitchen sink" experience.

I guess you are suggesing that those are our only choices? watered down, uninspiring cookie cutter games or unsuitable, gaudy iconography by players with no sense of wholistic design.

Heck, maybe some will get clever and reach out to corporate sponsors and offer their services by advertising in game.? What a wondrous world we live in.

would you rather be able to build a startbox or play WoW again? Seriously, answer the question.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Take a closer look.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Trivial.

This game was built on the foundation of open world PvP, warring player made factions, politics, etc. It is a PvP game by design.

Hence the forensics, jail system, pirate faction, FFA package looting.

Then they went and broke it by adding safe zones and spawn points and neutering PvP to the point it is nonexistent and all players left.

These are the real issues with AA not Starbucks
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by Sovrath

would you rather be able to build a startbox or play WoW again? Seriously, answer the question.

Ok, I'll spell it out for you more clearly,

Many players just don't have an aesthetic clue. I'd rather play wow than go into a game that is junked up by what "some" players think is neat or cool. I despise "everything but the kitchen sink design".

So, in this example the game is "supposed" to be cyberpunk (even though the art assets are all over the place as far as "period" and initial information indicated it was a straight fantasy world) and yet it's very possible that we will go through the world and see a taco bell, a renaissance fair and possibly something science fiction (?).

If the setting of the game was something more akin to "West World" (the movie) then it might be more palatable.but then we would be in a science fiction world where the inhabitants create their own realities for "whatever reason". Same if it was like Jack Chalker's Soul Rider Series where certain people could create their own pocket realities and were essentially gods.

So yeah, I'd rather play wow. At least the world has a logic that is congruent with itself.

Or better yet, just play something else all together.

edit: since this discussion has the potential to become "interesting" I'll add this quote from Stravinsky's  poetics of music:

My freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one's self of the chains that shackle the spirit.

Had the developers limited the scope of what was possible but allowed the players a greater depth within that scope, this game world could have become something quite amazing.

There's still time so it's up to Trion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

I'm completely against it will destroy in game felling of medieval time.

Sure most of people will create lore related stuff but most will do some dumb crap. And according to youtube views you will understand that majority in internet enjoy DUMB crap.

This feature would be great if it would be strictly controlled by GM (at least this is what Everquest next  promised that content that isn't lore related won't be allowed into world ) hope Trion will do the same thing for their game .

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    More people need to see this. Especially those who claim AA is a themepark.
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    The more I know about this game the less I want to play it. And I feel sad becouse in paper sounds sooo cool.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

AA is the best sandbox game since ... Anarchy Online ?

The freedom of choice is absolutely great in ArcheAge, im having a blast playing it.

I hope they stick with this feature on EU release.

I saw a big Bark yesterday with their fat guild logo on the sails ... man that was really cool ^^

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Well that cinches it for me.

The Japanimation art style was already difficult enough for me to get past, but now BESM and Starbucks in the same game?  lol, no thanks.

Ten years.  EVE Online is the best example of a Sandbox MMO and it has been around for ten years.  Not once in those ten years has CCP given the players artistic license in their game.  Why?  Because they know that if the worst thing you can imagine is possible, then it will be done.   Goonswarm, for instance, wouldn't hesitate one second to redesign their entire fleet of ships into giant flying space penis's that shoot... well, you get the picture.  THIS is why creative freedom in an MMO is bad.  Because you couldn't possibly hire enough GM's to moderate the dumb shit that mentally immature people will keep insisting is their right to create.

Guess I'll just wait another couple years until Black Desert has an English localization.  Trion is clearly out of their damn minds.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

ArcheAge is not a pure fantasy setting the game is actually a post apocalypse setting.  If people were familiar with the lore they would know that. Things like cars fit because the world actually used to have them until big superwar happened and things devolved.

Honestly I like the feature, not the extreme examples but as a roleplayer I can't wait to use my guild emblems and other type of things for stuff I will be making. I'm also happy that the cultural snobs will be avoiding this.  These sort of things are fine in Korean culture and remember folks pure medieval fantasy is not their culture, its -some- of yours. You don't see asian folk running around in Game of Thrones right? Well because its white euro fantasy.  What does pure euro fantasy mean to someone who's familial culture has nothing to do with it?

Hell pure euro fantasy has nothing to do with my familial culture either. So I'm good with this stuff for its possibilites.

I swear some of you act like every mmo should be the exact same way and that every mmo should be lile LOTR and GOT, the world is bigger than your eurocentric view and tastes.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84

I can't believe how many are whining about this idea. I thought it was pretty neat to be able to have your own, custom-made emblem - be it on your house or on your ship. Worried about some dude plastering a giant american butt or penis near a city? I am sure there will be a reportable limit on the freedom one can have, and I doubt players who can actually afford houses will make the same mistake twice if they know they will face bans/repercussions.

As to the whole "ruins my immersion!" rally cry, it's like a bunch of old men walking up to some younger man's house and demanding he change its appearance, because it looks too "modern". They are decorating THEIR houses, not yours. They are not forcing these things onto you and you won't get a heart attack from seeing them every now and then. The game is huge, I am sure you can find ways around things you don't like to see. Furthermore, I for one am ecstatic to see the curiosities players can come up with.

This is why they say Sandbox players don't know what they want.