Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: An MMO In Its Own Right

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new interview at Forbes.com, EverQuest Next: Landmark is described by Dave Georgeson as a "full blown MMO" and that combat elements were always supposed to be a part of the game world. While most have assumed that Landmark was the building/modding arm for EQN, it simply isn't so.

So what does this mean? EverQuest Next Landmarkis a full MMORPG experience.  This may seem difficult to take in, considering that it’s also sort of a precursor to another complete MMORPG, EverQuest Next.  It boils down to two full MMORPGs with the same building blocks but different focal points.  EverQuest Next Landmark will be deeply based in creative, building, and exploratory experiences whereas EverQuest Next itself will feature story driven aspects and progression.  While these are completely dissimilar titles, they will share many of the same underlying systems.

Read more at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

to clarify differences

EQN - Norrath Landmark theme

- Many classes

EQNL - many themes,  Scifi, Modern, etc

- one class, Adventurer

- one theme supporting EQN,  the Norrath theme

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    I was so hyped for this game until i realized they weren't remaking EQ1 at all but that EQN would be "its own beast." Star Citizen and Pathfinder are my last, best hopes for peace. *Babylon 5 intro music begins ...*
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This is a essentially the most extensive beta testing in the history of beta testing - you see how much better that sounds than alpha launch?
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Think about all the games that launch over hyped and far from ready. Eq Next approach is diminishing expectations and putting the players to work rather than letting them tee off on whats wrong and what should have been. It's Brilliant!!!
  • LoradioLoradio Member Posts: 2
    Me Likey.  I can already envision large scale player created battle zones where factions/guilds rise up in conflict with each other.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I still think if SOE had called this Free Realms: Next instead of EverQuest: Next, about 90% of the problems we've discussed in this community would be moot.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Mendel
    I still think if SOE had called this Free Realms: Next instead of EverQuest: Next, about 90% of the problems we've discussed in this community would be moot.

i agree

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm just confused about all this.  So SOE is putting out  two "amazing" games.  
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm just confused about all this.  So SOE is putting out  two "amazing" games.  

EQNL is due this winter  (whatever that means) and seems to be a stab at minecraft 2.0

EQN -- one big ? for timeline

• reichtreicht Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Mendel

Except your race options would be a tweenager or a fairy, and you'd have cartoon buggies.  I get that some people are a bit frumpy about art style and whatnot but don't pretend like Norrath and the lore involved doesn't deserve another chance just because it isn't everything you ever dreamed.

EverQuest didn't look realistic and it didn't look cartoony... it looked drab and boxy because of the technology on it... but once they made the higher end models most of them had pastel cartoony coloration and not a focus on realism.  A good example of realistic look is EQ2, which aged quite badly and quickly and has taken a lot more patching up over the years.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I must be an idiot, because I just don't get it.

Are they pretty much saying this is for the sandbox players, whereas the real EQN will be "WoW".
  • bexinhbexinh Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Are they pretty much saying this is for the sandbox players, whereas the real EQN will be "WoW".

you're not alone. Im confused as hell now. Why dont they just focus on developing EQN rather than wasting time and money on another "amazing MMO". I dont have a good feeling about this.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I am cautiously excited about both these games!  I am also a bit confused as anyone else is, but I am sure we will understand after some hands on...
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It seems to me what they are pretty much doing is instead of creating one encompassing Sandpark or Themebox, they're making two separate games; a sandbox and a Themepark with the same underlying tech/infrastructure.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Everquest Landmark is a clever way SoE has figured out how to get fans to help develop content for Everquest Next.

Not all who wander are lost...

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    They've not hid the fact that players will have input into content into the game.  In fact they're encouraging players to offer up the potential content through contests and what not.  They're also willing to give credit to said players who do this.  But hey, if complaining makes your day go for it.  It's just that the software hasn't even been released yet, so as of right now you're complaining about something that hasn't even been released yet.  Save your rage for when you need it.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bexinh

you're not alone. Im confused as hell now. Why dont they just focus on developing EQN rather than wasting time and money on another "amazing MMO". I dont have a good feeling about this.

Because they don't have the funds nor staff nor time to finish EQN. 

I've been saying this for weeks now and people can't believe that SoE would be in such a position.

Well they are.

EQL will be heavily monetized, which is why its not a building tool anymore but now its more of a game - they need the funds from EQL for EQN.

They also really need players to make usable assets for EQN - they keep bringing up "co-developing EQN with players" not because its a nice thing to do - they really need help.

EQN team is small - far too small to finish a major AAA groundbreaking MMO. Remember that EQN is on its 3rd iteration/relaunch internally now - SoE has spent a buttloadnof money and the game is nowhere near even fully conceptualized, let alone done.

What SoE needs desperately is to clean house at the top exec level just like Trion did, its time

Amen to that Ive said for years Smed needs to go, his style of constant borderline BS, his almost mental illness like desire to stamp HIS DNA into every game even though he suffers badly from the first point I made, always gives SOE detractors endless ammunition.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Where is Grahor now? I demand he comes here immediately to invalidate everything in the Forbes article and keep claiming EQ:L will be just an offline tool to upload stuff into an instanced online space.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I've been saying this for weeks now and people can't believe that SoE would be in such a position.

Well they are.

EQL will be heavily monetized, which is why its not a building tool anymore but now its more of a game - they need the funds from EQL for EQN.

They also really need players to make usable assets for EQN - they keep bringing up "co-developing EQN with players" not because its a nice thing to do - they really need help.

EQN team is small - far too small to finish a major AAA groundbreaking MMO. Remember that EQN is on its 3rd iteration/relaunch internally now - SoE has spent a buttloadnof money and the game is nowhere near even fully conceptualized, let alone done.

What SoE needs desperately is to clean house at the top exec level just like Trion did, its time to trim the old dead weight and get SoE refocused.

Crowdsourcing/forging/funding is the trend of today. How can you blame a big company like SOE taking advantage of that? Especially when they seem to be actually paying the players for their work. Sure, we don't yet know how their payment plan will work and how big the royalties will be, but a few people have come off millionaires by selling silly hats in TF2. Talented persons could possibly make a living out of creating stuff in Landmark, while playing their favourite game.

Everyone knows that AAA MMOs are terrible risk investments and more than one high-profile MMO lately has crashed and burned spectacularly. This is probably the main reason they scrapped their first plans about EQN, which was turning out to be an updated copy of EQ2, effectively the same game with prettier graphics.

I for one take my hat off for SOE for trying something outside the norm. If they crash and burn, so be it. Us here at the forum have been crying for years to someone to try something different. Now that SOE is doing it, you jump at their throats and demand they go back to the true and tested (to fail) formula of making another WoW clone with subscription?

Sometimes I just don't understand what you actually want. Can you explain it to me?

• SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59

This is going to be so interesting to try out. Has been looking good for so long now.

Some highly original ideas being put into play.

Free to live, Free to play!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Well they are.

What SoE needs desperately is to clean house at the top exec level just like Trion did, its time to trim the old dead weight and get SoE refocused.

Seems to me adding more features to EQL is indeed, "we want to start getting money sooner than later". I'm sure the sculping tools will be very cool in EQL however so it may work out well for both players and sony.

It seems also a stop-gap to the time it will take for EQN to be ready. In part assets and engagement from players already enjoying EQL. They're probably hoping players will create some really interesting stuff like LoL maps using storybrick ai, Skyrim cities (even Laputa cities!) and so on.

• bigdummy760bigdummy760 Member UncommonPosts: 5

OK lets all slow down just for a minute.  

First we have the people who do not understand what this statement by SOE may mean.

Second we have the people who are just guessing as to what the meaning may be.

Of course in for their voice to be heard there are a few whiners thrown in piping in their two cents about how nothing is good enough for them and never will be until someone shows up at their door and allows them to be in charge of a game that they themselves might not even play in the end.

So lets slow down and not put all of our fears and lost expectations for EQN and EQNL ahead of us. Poking the imaginary bee hive will only lead to our getting us stung and soured on the concept of what we hope it will be for either of these two titles.

The facts are that Landmark will be released then incorporated into the entire EQN in part or maybe in its entirety, how much we don't know yet.  The question to how they relate is listed in the FAQ's on the EQN site: "EverQuest Next Landmark is a world where you can design and make anything you can imagine! Objects and buildings that players construct may be featured in EverQuest Next". Will there be combat in Landmark? yes there will be but it has not been decided upon how or where or even when for that matter as of when the Forbes article was written. Will there be PvP? perhaps but not right away if at all in Landmark. 

So then in the end what do we know and what conclusions can we reasonably for the sake of the community come to?  There will be 2 titles one bringing in elements from the other.  Some of these elements will be player created, others may be reactionary (as in how did the community like that idea, or did it work how we wanted, etc).

Perhaps this is the largest Beta ever assembled, perhaps this is a "crowd-funding" exercise.  Perhaps it is a chance to actually hit upon what the player community actually wants and does not want in a game in a subversive exploratory manner that does not involve a poll of people who will probably never play the game that is developed. 

I can not say for sure, but I have an inkling of an idea of what SOE might be onto, a fuzzy concept lingering at the edge of my thoughts that perhaps Landmark will be smaller and that the later release of EQNext will be a balls out huge world, go back to trying to be the reigning king of mmo games, you know that I am talking about a concept that all true EverQuest players and fans have been hoping for since WoW came out.

But whatever this turns out to be, it is a chance to help shape a community AND a game.  It is a test drive into the unknown, and we as the player end should in all honesty be thankful that SOE is taking the chance to allow us a few things that other game development companies should sit up and take note of.  What other company has looked to launch a MMO and yet launched a mini version of it before hand, and done that with the idea of both being free to play.  It is a risk by SOE, but at the same time it is a great idea, even if this is what boils down to a Beta for EQNext. 

A parting thought is this: imagine what any title in the past 4 years would be like if they had attempted something similar to this at all, where would they be now? how would the gaming community have responded? and yes this question in my own mind is directed at a few titles suck as SWTOR, Rift, Tera, and a few others ... if only they had or would ever listen to the players instead of doing what they had done.

But of course this is all my own opinion about what SOE is doing that is right... and nothing about what they may be doing that might be wrong.  Chew this for a minute and formulate your own opinion, compare this to the launch of any other major title, and in the end what we have is a fresh idea and whether people are drawn in enough to give it a chance or want to sit in the back and be a naysayer, well at least this isn't the usual churning of a hype wheel trying to trick you into a purchase of a game that you wont play for more than a month or two before it collects dust on your hard drive.

• SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59
    wall of text warning :P

Free to live, Free to play!

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I refuse to play any games with proshietensat1 in europe.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Im not really sure whether to like or hate the separation thingy, i wan't an MMO, not a bundle of 2 separate things.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.