Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: RU Gonna Play?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While North American players have been clamoring for more information about when ArcheAge's beta might begin, Russian players have had a ton of great news this week. In our latest column, we see what our Russian friends are all excited about. Let us know what you think in the comments.

The following thread on ArcheAge Source basically spells it out. ArcheAge in Russia is free-to-play with a premium subscription element that grants more total labor points for doing tradeskills, faster labor points gain, and increased experience and mining drop rates. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: RU Gonna Play?.

Subscription model image source: MMOZG.net

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

If this is a "world-wide" model count me and I'm sure many players out. Either make it buy to play with a cash shop like Guild Wars 2, F2P with a cash shop, or subscription based with no cash shop. 

The Russian model is ridiculous.

EDIT: To add onto this because people seem to be confused as I see comments like "This model looks pretty good to me" do you really want to compete with guilds that have the ability to level up all their members to lvl 50 through this system if they fork out enough cash? Because I do believe that was lost upon a quite a few people from the posts that I am seeing.

Smile

• zalatoyzalatoy Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I actualy like this model its subscription based with $10 a month. but you ARE NOT FORSED TO STAY IN THE SUBSCRITION MODEL and no box to buy. This is the best model its way better then cash shop. But i am sure they are going to mess this model up by puting in a cash shop.
  • HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80

Russian publishers use different models than NA/EU Publishers

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Razeekster

The Russian model is ridiculous.

Actually it's pretty much an exact copy of Cryptic's Neverwinter, with real money you can buy crystals/Zen (for the ingame shop), can earn ark/AD in game or buy it with crystal/Zen, and gold for the vendors and consumables. Ridiculous or not, it's nothing new or unprecedented.

RU gonna play? - don't think so, my russian is faded to an almost non-existant level during the years...

• raskull789raskull789 Member Posts: 22

Been waiting for this game forever. I love this model, I don't really like when other players can get so far ahead by paying money in a cash sold market. I'm super cheap, I love playing games but I can never pull myself to spend real money on items in game. I play the game to have fun, prevent being bored, and save money by not going out and spending money. I will however spend money on a subscription to give me full access if I really like the game (EQ, DAoC, WoW, etc.). It's been quite a while since I last paid for a game.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    My #1 most anticpated game but I dont like the Russian model. Real money should never be used to purchase anything unless its fluff items. My favorite model is F2P with no restrictions like Aion, Lineage 2 and TERA. Sandbox games are the only games that I belive that can survive as pay to play now so that model would also be welcome. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I think it looks like a terrific model and one that I would happily subscribe to if the game lives up to its hype. If Trion doesn't adopt something similar, I might have to push myself a bit harder in my Russian language learning....or I might just head that direction anyway. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I wont be playing - the last thing I want to think about is how the game developers will make money or take money. When they muddy up the water I automatically shut the game out. Doing something different is what brought us this f2p cash shop crap we dont need more crappy business models. Buy ,Sub or nothing at all 4L
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    This is a cool game. I'm playing it now. I've been so used to these US-made tiny theme parks that I was overwhelmed with ArcheAge.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I wont be playing - the last thing I want to think about is how the game developers will make money or take money. When they muddy up the water I automatically shut the game out. Doing something different is what brought us this f2p cash shop crap we dont need more crappy business models. Buy ,Sub or nothing at all 4L

So you are saying that if they don't want to have it be pay to play or buy to play you won't play it at all? It's still possible to sub to the game and the crystals can be purchased with gold. It's just another way for them to keep the game profitable, and it doesn't sound like it's pay to win or anything like that.

• MandibleMandible Member UncommonPosts: 14

I dont think there's anything really new here relative to mmo revenue models. If the game is GOOD, I'll sub and pay. These games are still relatively cheap compared to other forms of entertainment. Hell, I spend more on a 30 pack of beer or a night at the movies than I do on a game like this and I probably get far more entertainment out  of AA than those other activities..... I never really understood why people are so willing to pay for other forms of entertainment but become so cheap when it comes to MMO's.

That said, if i had my choice, I would prefer a more straight forward sub model like WoW or EvE.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    ArcheAge sounded pretty interesting for quite awhile but soon as I heard about all the modern day things like sports cars and such being implemented ingame my interest dropped to even below 0. Won't be bothering with this one at all now.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Looked at a few videos. Doesn't look like anything new or exciting. I'll keep play EQ/EQ2 and DCUO I guess.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by SBFord
    I think it looks like a terrific model and one that I would happily subscribe to if the game lives up to its hype. If Trion doesn't adopt something similar, I might have to push myself a bit harder in my Russian language learning....or I might just head that direction anyway. :)

Are you joking? It's a pretty horrid looking model to me. If a guild was willing to pay the money they could literally get all their guild members to max level. This model and the services it provides is a complete insult to my senses.

Smile

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by kyssari
    ArcheAge sounded pretty interesting for quite awhile but soon as I heard about all the modern day things like sports cars and such being implemented ingame my interest dropped to even below 0. Won't be bothering with this one at all now.

What are the other options though?  I'll be playing regardless, it offers a bit of freedom unlike these current little themepark games...no risk no reward.  

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I am not going to play because of the PvP elements of the game.

Hopefully the game kicks ass though, and hopefully they use a better model for the US release.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    What ever model that a company uses it should allow all players to have the same level of access to the game.
  • BreakNFacesBreakNFaces Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Having played the Korean version and seen the changes made since closed beta in Korea one can only wonder why XLGAMES keeps trying to fix something they broke in the first place, you cannot make two wrongs and then throw in another wrong and expect the game to correct itself. Simply put, add a EVE Online payment model and you have a winner, trust in what works. Enough said

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Looked at a few videos. Doesn't look like anything new or exciting. I'll keep play EQ/EQ2 and DCUO I guess.

You don't think being able to have a pirate ship and board your enemies or build houses, farms, castles, sailing ships or be able to import your own art work (which I must say I don't like for the obvious reasons) isn't exciting and on certain levels "new".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50
    I get less excited for this game every time I hear something new...
  • penekpenek Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by SBFord

you would be happy to play game from a company that sell set of ingame items for  40,367$ ? Are you Oil tycoon or his son?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Well about time this is released I will already be 6 feet under it seems. Trion has had this since January and all they had to do was translate the game. Its 9 months later and nothing new from Trion, no beta, no game footage, almost nothing. Should not take that long to translate this game unless they are changing it to make it more westernized which then it will fail either way.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm starting to dislike the F2P and B2P models a little bit more each day. I was really hoping to play AA but if this model is adopted by TW I will be by passing on it for the time being. I'd rather be presented with a game with 100% content (this goes for progress, fluff and convenience items) availability than deal with 70% - 80% content availability and devs having to cook up potential revenue streams to support such a model. Because any attention diverted from providing great gaming experience first and foremost, is too much attention being diverted in the first place. At least with the sub based model I know devs don't have to worry about stocking a virtual store when sales slow down. And I don't have to worry about if I should open my wallet for anything I may see (or need) in game.

I mean let's be honest, I've been playing mmorpgs long enough to be alright with not being able to afford every sub based game out there. It's just too bad devs are still trying to chase big numbers and convert those into potential revenue instead of being happy with a sustainable amount of loyal players while making a mmorpg on a modest budget to reflect that goal. Oh well it just seems like more and more devs are taking the made for TV approach rather than releasing a movie to theaters. You see a made for TV movie will constantly interrupt the viewer with commercial breaks, while once a movie in a theater starts, I'm free from interruptions. And while both may be very good movies, I'm more likely to sit through a movie in a theater because I know I paid for it rather than deal with so many interruptions, hell it's the reason most people Tivo shows. So where's the Tivo for F2P and B2P mmorpgs? Oh that's right....we call those things subs.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

Kinda been burned by so many shoddy mmo's of late, I have not bought one since STO came out. I'd rather wait for all the fireworks to fizzle out and see what's left after 6 to a year before I buy any new mmo. Saying that I do like the general features AA is offering.

We will see. :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I've read the world is more immersive than Vanguard

if true, count me in image