Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so much hype about this game, what new features does it have?

Comments

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by DeathmachinePT

Am I missing anything that is ground breaking about this game?

Why does this game "have" to have some groundbreaking/innovative aspect? Does that somehow make it a more fun game to play? Or are you some kind of snob who only plays a game if it has something "new"? There were lots of games that had really great ideas on different aspects of gaming and it's likely that we'll never see those things again; even though those ideas are much beloved. Because gamers like yourself demand that new games have new ideas.

If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Creslin321

People are excited because...

1.  Class system allows you to freely switch between classes, mix and match class abilities, and even name your custom class that you created by mixing and matching abilities.

2.  Destructible terrain and buildings, voxel-based world.

3.  The ability to "dig" through the ground into procedurally generated random dungeons.

4.  The incorporation of player-created content from Landmark into the game.

5.  AI that supposedly is sophisticated enough to dynamically create monster camps, raid player towns, etc. (admittedly, this is smoke and mirrors until we get to play the game and verify how it works.)  This is also supposed to generate (quasi) permanent change in the world.

6.  Combat seems actioney and fun based on the abilities we've seen.  It is also cool that you can destroy terrain to give you an advantage in combat.

7.  Items seem like they can give you cool powers (based on the boots that let you glide).

Anyway, I think that's a summary of most of the reasons that people are hyped.  As for me, I think their ideas are very good, and the game, from what we've seen, does look pretty cool.

However, everything depends upon implementation.  Some of the things above I have more confidence in being implemented properly (destructible terrain), while others I am very skeptical of ("super" AI that dynamically generates content basically).

I'm very interested to hear more about this game.

Add

8. Open World Housing

9. Player Cities

10. Crafting System with a depth like SWG

Also we don't know any details about it. And a lot of people wait for information how their pvp may look like.. we basicly just know that there will PvP, but we really don't know what kind of pvp or how it will look like.

But big points are

2. voxel based world.. and withit layered world design. You dig into some place and may discover a new dungeon. And all the possiblilities we can just imagine at the moment.

and

5. Emergent AI. Monster actually forming warband, actually creating camps, actually wandering around the world and react a lot more and in different ways to any action players may do is most probably the most interesting point, although we don't know a lot how it will actually work, how it will look, just some technical informations about StoryBricks the AI Engine (quasi) and some concepts how it could work out. It remains to be seen.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by freston
    Originally posted by Nadia
    EQN could be the first voxel farm mmo -- yet to be seen

In before someone puts a list of very small, unknown indie games  nowhere near the league of an AAA mmo that already use in some way this capacity.

We have a winner!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It has a few new features,but more important is how will you play the game.If players end up playing the game exactly like 99% of the other games in this genre,then it has accomplished nothing.

When there are new ideas that do nothing for the entire game play,then i call them gimmicks.I do however feel that Soe's unique ideas are apart of the entire game play,so they will be warranted.

I have other issues with SOE,i do feel the game will most likely be a decent game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Artificial Life System and Voxels
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Mouls
    Artificial Life System and Voxels

The hype comes from the people who understand what the above two technologies can do when utilized to create a persistant MMO world.

The cynicism comes from the problem that SOE needs to understand that too, and it's not entirely unlikely they may not.

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Thanks for those people who posted real information some features seem interesting but after I saw both Black Desert and Archeage gameplay and their features and then saw EQN with the most hype it didn't made sense to me so I made this thread to see what the game was all about. 

Still think the hype is too much for what it has shown, my experience with SOE is that they market & hype it too much and deliver too little at least in the past games.

There are simply too many games and MMO for me to adequately be informed will look forward for checking the EQN crafting and other SWG features plus the player generated content :)

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

For what I have seen and understand it's a bland casual MMO with cartoonish characters and destruction in some scenarios it doesn't seem that MMO to me more like a 3rd Person Online Action game.

Sorry, If my view is not accurate the trailer or gameplay really took any interested for me.

Hype?   I thought the hype died with their " unveiling ". 

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I think tue excitement and hype are coming mainly from people who want to play a game with the overarching design tuat we have been shown so far. I know a lot of people are pissed that they aren't going to get an on rails, race to level cap gear treadmill with tab target combat and instanced raids, but I dont care about that since there are plenty of games like th at to play right now.
    Im excited about the building, the exploration, the multi classing and most of all, the systems and content that SOE hasnt talked about yet. look at eq2 and you will get an idea of the kind of systems and content that SOE is capable of delivering.
    now translate that capability to a sandbox that is focused on emergent gameplay and player generated content and exploration. I'll probably get flamed for saying so, but I am extremely hopeful that soe learned A LOT from making and maintaining eq2 and they are using that expertise to craft something very cool in the form of eqn.
    I cant wait to learn about more of the sandbox features that will be in game. im betting there will be treasure hunting, im hoping for farming and animal breeding. what other types of systems might they be working on?
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

OP and some others don't understand the potential of a voxel based game engine. And I am too lazy trying to explain to already very cynical readers :p

This still leaves the question ofc how much Everquest Next will make use of that potential. I am not the person to start assuming stuff about that. But the fact that they will use this technology is revolutionary for a MMO. Also, It is not just about destroying, but just as much about potential free form building (think Minecraft, but then less block shaped).

Restrictions need to be in place obviously so players don't start to trollollol every npc city. MMO's unfortunately need to be approached as a kindergarten. There are always kids that only like to step on someone elses sandcastle all the time.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Lots of stuff, but the 1 feature that's making me second guess the game is the combat which screams junk like GW2 or Terra..

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    For me it's about possibly recapturing the magic that was once MMORPGs.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    For me it's about possibly recapturing the magic that was once MMORPGs.

I really don't believe that's possible. SOE being at the helm of this game makes it even more unlikely.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

For what I have seen and understand it's a bland casual MMO with cartoonish characters and destruction in some scenarios it doesn't seem that MMO to me more like a 3rd Person Online Action game.

Sorry, If my view is not accurate the trailer or gameplay really took any interested for me.

To answer your title question, "what new features does it have?"

- destructibility (as you mentioned, but it isn't 'in some scenarios' - there is destructibility everywhere)

- this produces the ability to have vertical content - and to 'accidentally' fall into new content - providing:

- non-linear content progression

- constructibility - you can build anything, including the world itself

- progression solely through exploration

- horizontal progression, rather than linear

- other stuff I can't remember

None of that precludes that it may turn out to be more of an action online game than an mmo.

• nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

If people want to make broad assumptions that the game is going to be terrible based on 1 or 2 short demo videos, that's their prerogative. 

For anyone actually interested in seeing more of the capability of the voxelfarm engine, check out some of the videos on voxelfarms blog at http://voxelfarm.com/vfweb/blog.html.  I think the July 23rd one is especially cool and showcases how advanced this engine actually is.  These have gotten me more excited than any of the videos shown by SOE.

• odelldanieljodelldanielj Member UncommonPosts: 25
    There is nothing groundbreaking about this game, but  in SOE's defense, how do you do groundbreaking when you have to cater to a wide audience that wants dumbed down content that takes you to end game in a week or less?  Groundbreaking could have been done 10+ years ago.  Now you're going to get the same tired crap with some spin on it so X company can say we did it completely different.  It's like talking a chick into having sex without a condom by telling her it will feel bigger.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Isn't a voxel based game from AAA different?   I have some hopes for this game.  How about non instanced dungeons, where you won't have camps with the same guy hogging one drop for weeks on end?  I would love to take the original EQ and make several possible rooms where the loot dropping bosses can possibly spawn. 

Sure you can say that its not going to be good. But, if you say that about every game why even try and be an MMO fan?  I have my doubts too, but I am at least going to see it when it comes out and probably buy it.  Play it for a month and if I like it....Great! If I don't like it? Well 60 dollars for a month of gaming is not terrible.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Most of the people on this site get autohyped for any MMO that is coming up next. Remember the FF14 fanboys and hype pre-launch? look at the complaining now.

Next up is ESO, wildstar, and EQN. I can already picture all the whine threads how these games are same old and bla bla bla. neverending cycle.

The flawed logic here is people look for 'the MMO' from AAA releases. Waste of time really. The chance of getting your desired features in a mainstream MMO is close to 0.

I looked at indie mmos. Found a sandbox with terraforming and open world housing. I'll never look back to AAAs. They will always disappoint.

• dgmakodgmako Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Creslin321

People are excited because...

1.  Class system allows you to freely switch between classes, mix and match class abilities, and even name your custom class that you created by mixing and matching abilities.

2.  Destructible terrain and buildings, voxel-based world.

3.  The ability to "dig" through the ground into procedurally generated random dungeons.

4.  The incorporation of player-created content from Landmark into the game.

5.  AI that supposedly is sophisticated enough to dynamically create monster camps, raid player towns, etc. (admittedly, this is smoke and mirrors until we get to play the game and verify how it works.)  This is also supposed to generate (quasi) permanent change in the world.

6.  Combat seems actioney and fun based on the abilities we've seen.  It is also cool that you can destroy terrain to give you an advantage in combat.

7.  Items seem like they can give you cool powers (based on the boots that let you glide).

Anyway, I think that's a summary of most of the reasons that people are hyped.  As for me, I think their ideas are very good, and the game, from what we've seen, does look pretty cool.

However, everything depends upon implementation.  Some of the things above I have more confidence in being implemented properly (destructible terrain), while others I am very skeptical of ("super" AI that dynamically generates content basically).

I'm very interested to hear more about this game.

This post captured why I am excited and why i'm skeptical. I'm more excited then skeptical but the truth is it seems to still be very far out before we are going to see it. So I am looking forward to EQ Landmark, and i'll probably stay busy with that until we get into EQ Next, then id' say you can post the same questions and get real answers, everything else is pure speculation. 

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by odelldanielj
    There is nothing groundbreaking about this game, but  in SOE's defense, how do you do groundbreaking when you have to cater to a wide audience that wants dumbed down content that takes you to end game in a week or less?  Groundbreaking could have been done 10+ years ago.  Now you're going to get the same tired crap with some spin on it so X company can say we did it completely different.  It's like talking a chick into having sex without a condom by telling her it will feel bigger.

I think not being a DAOC clone alone has probably moved it 2 or 3 places up the list. Then Archage which is sandboxy but did not go over so well in Korea. Any pvp sandbox is going to be privy to Darkfall style speculation until its released. So that leaves us with EQN OW pvp, some sandbox elements and lots of production money. 

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by crasset15

Most of the people on this site get autohyped for any MMO that is coming up next. Remember the FF14 fanboys and hype pre-launch? look at the complaining now.

Next up is ESO, wildstar, and EQN. I can already picture all the whine threads how these games are same old and bla bla bla. neverending cycle.

The flawed logic here is people look for 'the MMO' from AAA releases. Waste of time really. The chance of getting your desired features in a mainstream MMO is close to 0.

I looked at indie mmos. Found a sandbox with terraforming and open world housing. I'll never look back to AAAs. They will always disappoint.

I don't feel like I am hyped up over this game though. I am excited to hear and see more sure, but I don't expect this to be the greatest game ever with magical endgame to keep the masses happy for the next decade.  I have skipped most of the releases going back for the past several years now.  I have little desire to see FF14, ESO, or Wildstar. 

This seems slightly interesting, and even if its not successful in all ways, maybe the Voxel style building and dungeons can be improved upon further.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The AI is probably the biggest thing, if they do pull off anywhere close to what they are saying they want to do it will revolutionize the genre. There hasn't been a recent MMO that came out that really could say that. Each one took small steps in a certain direction. WoW with instances/quests, LOTRO with more story, games like AOC messing with the combat model etc. The AI could completely change how these games play at the core.

Just one small example is that a year after release you start characters on 3 different servers and each one has a different looking world because of what has happened over the first year of play. That is a concept that just hasn't existed since the days of UO and AC and even those games were limited in how much you could change things. People will say GW2 promised this but it never did, they were pretty clear that these were scripted events that chain into each other, EQ next is claiming something way beyond what they did.

Getting away from pure scripted encounters is another just huge change to the genre, if you have to actually think and react to encounters on the fly because they are reacting back at you, that completely changes everything.

Obviously there is nothing but hype so far so once they start releasing videos we will see. Even if they don't pull it off cleanly the concepts they are applying will leak into the next wave of games and should actually improve a genre that has just been stagnant.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Everquest next will feature a lot of things that could potentially be amazing. Open world housing in a game with destructible environments, horizontal leveling and sandbox instead of theme park, which means the world could potentially be fully utilized at all times regardless of your level (unlike themeparks, where you never visit low level zones again after out leveling them), tons of classes, action-ish combat, improving/evolving AI that could theretically ensure the same encounter is never the same battle twice, etc etc.

It's all a matter of whether they implement it correctly.  What if the open world housing ends up not having any really decent customization or ultimately accomplishes nothing?  What if the destructibility is mostly entirely aesthetic and quickly repairs itself anyways, ultimately being meaningless?  What if the horizontal levellling ends up being excruciatingly boring (such as say, all skills only looking different, or only one or two good ones being used anyways, etc) or gives you no real incentive to level up?  What if the world ends up being underutilized anyways and people only stick to a select few zones for whatever reason?  What if the improving/evolving AI doesn't make a difference cause you either just ROFLstomp everything or the mobs don't have enough different abilities to really notice them using things differently or whatever else?

EQNext promises a lot of things.  These things have unlimited potential, but also a big chance to turn out to be meaningless.  The optimist sees the unlimited potential and dreams of what could be, hence the hype. The pessimist just thinks of the new features in terms of how pointless they are when implemented poorly (which has been the case for every other MMO to date that even tried to promise such things) and thus doesn't get hyped much at all.

Which one will be proven to be correct is something we don't know yet, for obvious reasons.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

But the important thing to note is even if they aren't implemented well they will be built upon by the next generation of games. I'm more excited about what this means for the genre as a whole than about EQ Next specifically.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    The one hot bar 8 ability was all i needed to see to know I won't touch this game,its like playing a game of chess against Garry Kasparov and seeing you start with 3 pawns a king and 1 bishop.