Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to DPS in FFXIV

GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Lately I've been seeing some of the worst DPS that I've seen in 15 years of gaming .

So as I sit AFK at start of dungeon refusing to tank with players who are blantantly trying to make my gaming experience hell. ( I could leave but why should I get 15 minute penalty ? )

So what  to do as DPS .

Tips:

1.  When you see numbers on top of mobs that the tank has marked  , and the tank is hitting those numbers in order you also hit those numbers in order.

2. When tank runs towards mobs that doesn't mean open fire as fast as possible on any random creature , give tank time to hit the mob at leave once .

3. If you take agro because you didn't follow tip number 1 or 2 above, don't start doing MORE dps and think "YEAH BABY IM TANKING WOOHOO!"  , instead you should cease DPS on that mob until the tank regains agro .

4. If healer sleeps a mob that the tank isn't fighting that doesn't mean "WOOHOO TIME TO ANNOY THE HEALER" and hit that target.  It means you follow tip 1 and 2 .

I have a lot more tips but those are the basics .

Comments

• StonemasonStonemason Member UncommonPosts: 26

As a player who truly enjoys being a tank, Thank you for your OP. The only thing I could add is If you do take the aggro from the tank DO NOT  run around in circles making it harder for the tank to peel the mob off you. Stand still and watch the red circle under the mob, when the pointer turns back to the tank wait 5 seconds look for the mob that the tank has numbered then continue dps.

Some player like to use macros that target the Tanks target. I would advise against this, instead focus the mob as tagged by the tank. I suggest this because some times it is necessary to change targets as a tank in order to maintain aggro but have the dps remain on the correct target.

Of course if your running an Aoe bomb group then ignore

And on a slightly separate topic, what happened to the term MA (main assist)?

• TheSlitherTheSlither Member Posts: 59

I have also tip for you:

Play with friends not with pugs.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

They don't even wait for me to run for the mobs... they pull, they hit everyone, they are clueless !

Chaos every pug. Makes it more challenging though, i kinda like it.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

1.  When you see numbers on top of mobs that the tank has marked  , and the tank is hitting those numbers in order you also hit those numbers in order.
    Actually you hit those numbers in order regardless of what the tank is doing; good tanks don't get target fixation. 

2. When tank runs towards mobs that doesn't mean open fire as fast as possible on any random creature , give tank time to hit the mob at leave once .
    You mean 'at *least* once', but yeah, DO NOT get the first hit in, and DO NOT front load your damage (looking at Archers especially), open with DoTs / debuffs / CC, and use the enmity meters (over class icons on the party UI). Pulling aggro at the start just makes tank waste time running around that could be spent building enmity, and ultimately the encounter takes longer.

3. If you take agro because you didn't follow tip number 1 or 2 above, don't start doing MORE dps and think "YEAH BABY IM TANKING WOOHOO!"  , instead you should cease DPS on that mob until the tank regains agro .
    You forget DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM THE TANK (ideally stop attacking and run at them), seriously, I WILL let you die. The one caveat to this is if a mob is almost dead (like 2-3 hits), then just finish it off.

4. If healer sleeps a mob that the tank isn't fighting that doesn't mean "WOOHOO TIME TO ANNOY THE HEALER" and hit that target.  It means you follow tip 1 and 2 .
    Yep, you wake it you tank it, and again, I WILL let you die.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I think the problem is you have a lot of new people playing an MMO for the first time because of the console crossover.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Originally posted by Stonemason Some player like to use macros that target the Tanks target. I would advise against this, instead focus the mob as tagged by the tank. I suggest this because some times it is necessary to change targets as a tank in order to maintain aggro but have the dps remain on the correct target.

I'd go so far as to kick anyone who insists on using < tt > macros (haven't seen it yet).

As I've said before, good tanks don't get target fixation and should be constantly swapping targets and building / monitoring enmity levels across all mobs in a group (use the bars over the class icons on the party UI).

It can be tricky to start with but once you get it down by the time the first mob is dead the DPS can go as nuts as they like (preferably in mark order, or with DoTs / AoE) and there is no way they will pull aggro.

Edit: Damn you HTML

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I would also like to add that I prefer playing with newbs than with elitist jerks. I rather play with someone who is clueless but is willing to learn than with an elitlist a-hole that trash talks your every move.
  • AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Very good information for people new to trinity raids.

Pretty much useless for people that know what they are doing, but that wasn't the purpose of the thread!  I'd encourage that new tankers and DPS'ers learn how to appropriately AoE down an entire mob.  Focusing one target at a time is slow and ineffective by the end game.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

ITT: Elitist rage

You have to remember not everyone grew up on MMO's some people on the console. Most people will listen to you if you explain what to do. Seems like you'd rather sit on your high horse then explain mechanics to new people though. Going into an instance with the attitude you have is a poor idea. Maybe PUGs aren't for you.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by acidblood

Actually you hit those numbers in order regardless of what the tank is doing; good tanks don't get target fixation. 

You mean 'at *least* once', but yeah, DO NOT get the first hit in, and DO NOT front load your damage (looking at Archers especially), open with DoTs / debuffs / CC, and use the enmity meters (over class icons on the party UI). Pulling aggro at the start just makes tank waste time running around that could be spent building enmity, and ultimately the encounter takes longer.

You forget DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM THE TANK (ideally stop attacking and run at them), seriously, I WILL let you die. The one caveat to this is if a mob is almost dead (like 2-3 hits), then just finish it off.

Yep, you wake it you tank it, and again, I WILL let you die.

I love it. I should add this to my sleep macro. :)

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    To be fair, I've played as both DPS and heals and I have seen plenty of garbage tanks and awful healers as well.  There are lots of terrible tanks, particularly early on in dungeon queues.  I have to believe the percentage of bad players is pretty steady across all classes, there just happens to be a lot more total DPS players, leading to a higher overall number of bad DPS players.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    As a healer I love tip 4 lol.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by TheSlither

I have also tip for you:

Unfortunately none of my friends will touch this game.  I guess I should make some more.

• TheSlitherTheSlither Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I have also tip for you:

Unfortunately none of my friends will touch this game.  I guess I should make some more.

When I started play WoW in 2005 there was almost no MMO comunity in my country/hometown.

So I did pugs dungeons until Molten core. It was sometime good sometime bad but overall it was OK.

I wasnt able to do Molten Core or BWL without good guild or comunity. I switched to PVP.

First alone then I met players who were doing BGs all day long and I grouped with them. So maybe good advice is use friendslist also.

We had fun together and when I came online I was almost instantly invited into party because they remembered me as good player. Later I managed to get rank GM14 in vanilla wow :).

Also we managed to clear naxx in vanilla wow.

What I wanted to say is that you can make new friends in game. If you are happy with someone or If you like gameplay of somebody, dont hasitate to friend with him. Or she :p

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Grailer

Lately I've been seeing some of the worst DPS that I've seen in 15 years of gaming .

So as I sit AFK at start of dungeon refusing to tank with players who are blantantly trying to make my gaming experience hell. ( I could leave but why should I get 15 minute penalty ? )

So what  to do as DPS .

Tips:

I have a lot more tips but those are the basics .

I don't honestly think that the type of player you describe reads this site. You're better off posting this in game/group chat.

Putting it on here just looks like a populist post.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by donpopuki
    I think the problem is you have a lot of new people playing an MMO for the first time because of the console crossover.

Actually I would say the problem more lay with all the older MMO players who have just gotten used to games where tank threat is infinite and you can just bulldoze through trash, and where the Recount readout means more than winning or losing the dungeon/raid (cough*wow*cough).

Tanks don't have the same toolset here that exists in other games. I usually tank in other games, I can't figure it out in this one yet. I have a healthy respect for those who can tank well in spite of the toolset and in spite of the players - they are clearly better players than I am.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Why do you need to publicize the fact that you are a toxic player? No one cares about your garbage elitist attitude. Dont act like you are actually good at the game when you are just a scrub. If you are a actually good at what you do you will realize sometimes it doesnt matter what stupid crap the dps pull as long as the party doesnt wipe and the dungeon finishes in time. sometimes the dps are good enough that they burn down mobs fast enough it doesnt matter if they pull aggro or are attacking the wrong monster. sometimes the healer doesnt even give a shit either. who also really gives a shit about sleeping anyway, if you are geared enough it doesnt even matter if the mob is wailing on you or what. i've been level 50 on my pld for several weeks now, running end game dungeons and i know for a fact that its players like you that actually make things more difficult than they actually are. instead of yelling at a person you can use that one sentence to set them straight and then the run will end up going smoothly. instead you just leave and waste everyone's time, including yours. good job you for proving that you are entirely clueless. if you are really serious about maximizing efficiency and not wasting time, its common sense to find a guild to group with.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Actually I would say the problem more lay with all the older MMO players who have just gotten used to games where tank threat is infinite and you can just bulldoze through trash, and where the Recount readout means more than winning or losing the dungeon/raid (cough*wow*cough).

Tanks don't have the same toolset here that exists in other games. I usually tank in other games, I can't figure it out in this one yet. I have a healthy respect for those who can tank well in spite of the toolset and in spite of the players - they are clearly better players than I am.

Play marauder/warrior - use AoE attack, when TP is 0, use glad flash. You will never lose aggro.

This, tank and DPS should be AoE attacking the mob in lower level dungeons, you won't die as DPS if you AoE attack mobs unless healer suck, you're just killing everything slower if you kill mobs one by one.

It gets a lot more dangerous after level 35~40+ to AoE everything though, that's when you kill mobs one by one. In lv 50 speed runs, back to AoE everything again.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Bluewhitehell
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Play marauder/warrior - use AoE attack, when TP is 0, use glad flash. You will never lose aggro.

This, tank and DPS should be AoE attacking the mob in lower level dungeons, you won't die as DPS if you AoE attack mobs unless healer suck, you're just killing everything slower if you kill mobs one by one.

It gets a lot more dangerous after level 35~40+ to AoE everything though, that's when you kill mobs one by one. In lv 50 speed runs, back to AoE everything again.

Uhhh, no.  I am a healer so I'll take a minute to set you straight here.

A DPS needs to manage their aggro.  Most have tool kits that allow for it.  All are controlled by the individual so there is *never* an excuse for doing nothing about aggro.

A DPS can easily screw up aggro by single focusing an alt target too hard as opposed to hitting alt targets with AoE.  The tank is there to ensure that your AoE doesn't force aggro, not to give you a blanket promise of zero aggro.  The healer isn't your keeper either.

If a healer is healing a DPS for any reason other than the DPS was hit by an UNAVOIDABLE skill - the DPS is at fault.  Period.

If you have gotten to Titan HM yet you'd know that the worst player-archetype in FFXIV is the DPS.  They are frequently oblivious to their surroundings and just assume the tank will take care of them.  That isn't how trinity systems work.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Alamareth
    Uhhh, no.  I am a healer so I'll take a minute to set you straight here.

A DPS needs to manage their aggro.  Most have tool kits that allow for it.  All are controlled by the individual so there is *never* an excuse for doing nothing about aggro.

A DPS can easily screw up aggro by single focusing an alt target too hard as opposed to hitting alt targets with AoE.  The tank is there to ensure that your AoE doesn't force aggro, not to give you a blanket promise of zero aggro.  The healer isn't your keeper either.

If a healer is healing a DPS for any reason other than the DPS was hit by an UNAVOIDABLE skill - the DPS is at fault.  Period.

If you have gotten to Titan HM yet you'd know that the worst player-archetype in FFXIV is the DPS.  They are frequently oblivious to their surroundings and just assume the tank will take care of them.  That isn't how trinity systems work.

+1

Thank you to all the tanks & healers that put up with it regardless

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

A tip for ranged DPS if tank is less than spectacular is to pay attention to the enmity meter. An example is if you hit a mob once and jump to number 2 on the enmity list with the gauge at 50%, you are on the wrong mob. Hitting it again will probably be enough to pull hate from the tank.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I have also tip for you:

How about we also close the schools and just hang out with people that have already learned something.  No point in trying to teach anyone something if you can just hang out with your cool "learned" friends.

Posts that teach people things are a GOOD thing.

Are you implying that most console players are completely ignorant to group play, and would rather eat Cheetos and pull bong loads from the sofa?

Is that what your trying to tell me man!!!!!

edit:  I spelled bong wrong, imagine that.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

It's not as black and white as blaming stupid DPS.

When there's no system in place to punish stupid play, then players will do what they will.

DPS don't have to hold back on trash pulls in XIV because it honestly doesn't matter, unless you have a bad healer.  For bosses sure, but everything else can be managed by almost any class up to a point.  That's the problem.

Want to discourage or prevent this?  Make mobs, even trash pulls, one-shot anyone not a tank and provide some negative "reward" for doing so.  Watch how quickly DPS pay attention and follow orders.

Originally posted by Alders

It's not as black and white as blaming stupid DPS.

When there's no system in place to punish stupid play, then players will do what they will.

DPS don't have to hold back on trash pulls in XIV because it honestly doesn't matter, unless you have a bad healer.  For bosses sure, but everything else can be managed by almost any class up to a point.  That's the problem.

Want to discourage or prevent this?  Make mobs, even trash pulls, one-shot anyone not a tank and provide some negative "reward" for doing so.  Watch how quickly DPS pay attention and follow orders.

You are right.

Why are non dungeon trash mobs in this game like kicking over my little sister?  

I actually love using WoW comparisons.  In WoW if you pulled agro on trash you were pretty much three shotted, people learned quick.  There is no reason not to pull agro in this game, non boss mobs are harmless.

It makes no sense at all.