Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overall population after f2p

Anyone knows how many active players are currently playing SWToR?  Did f2p caused a big increase?

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Comments

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by gamekid2k
    Anyone knows how many active players are currently playing SWToR?  Did f2p caused a big increase?

It's doing extremely well with tons or people and regular updates. Don't mind the haters here and see it for yourself. I even created this thread to get this rid of some of the false presumptions of the game because i simply hate people who hate hard-working devs over lies.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397350

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by gamekid2k Anyone knows how many active players are currently playing SWToR?  Did f2p caused a big increase?
    It's doing extremely well with tons or people and regular updates. Don't mind the haters here and see it for yourself. I even created this thread to get this rid of some of the false presumptions of the game because i simple hate people who hate hard-working devs over lies.

^ this and i am not even playing any mmo's right now.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by gamekid2k Anyone knows how many active players are currently playing SWToR?  Did f2p caused a big increase?
    It's doing extremely well with tons or people and regular updates. Don't mind the haters here and see it for yourself. I even created this thread to get this rid of some of the false presumptions of the game because i simple hate people who hate hard-working devs over lies.

^ this and i am not even playing any mmo's right now.

Then how do you know it's doing well.

The truth of the matter is, ever since it went FTP, we haven't had any word from EA about it doing well. Initially a bunch of people registered and their revenue "doubled". Since they haven't announced any new mile stones, its safe to say it's back in decline. It's more stable than it was, but its numbers are not anywhere close to big.

And those hard working devs have already all been fired due to the financial failure that was this game. Though the publishers are to blame.

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

What's free in this game - isn't almost the whole game inaccessible for the f2p - or an I thinking of LOTRO?

EDIT - thanks for below replies.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's doing extremely well with tons or people and regular updates. Don't mind the haters here and see it for yourself. I even created this thread to get this rid of some of the false presumptions of the game because i simply hate people who hate hard-working devs over lies.

I have a friend who plays in a regular static group and he often talks about the game. It's funny to see what the haters post here and how wrong they are. They want so much for the game to be failing they'll ignore anything anyone says and embellish any negative story they can find.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by yangdude
    What's free in this game - isn't almost the whole game inaccessible for the f2p - or an I thinking of LOTRO?

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

You will not have certain conviniences but you can play the entire game free of cost.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

You will not have certain conviniences but you can play the entire game free of cost.

I have returned to check out the ftp model. Also playing a couple of other ftp mmo's predominately Rift and Tera.

Swtor's model seems to be a vehicle purely aimed at getting the player to subscribe. The other two, whilst still giving benefits to subscribers, are more standalone ftp models targeted toward cash shop bonus items.

My thoughts are that a good ftp model should be able to operate as an attractive standalone offering, with the cash shop offering a wide variety of commercially attractive bonuses. In this I'd say Rift in particular has got it about right.

However, a ftp model that appears to be set up with more penalties than benefits can do more harm than good.

Why? Because it gives the impression that the ftp player is someone they didn't really want to accommodate, but circumstances have forced their hand.

You can say that this is the case for other games, and you may be right - But, these other games come across as fully accepting the change, welcoming it as an opportunity to re-invigorate their games.

I do not get this feeling with Swtor - in more or less every action, from character creation onward, there are paragraphs telling you that you are penalized, with subscription as the resolution to these penalties.

I feel that a ftp model more aligned with Rift would actually benefit swtor. But whether the developers can change their mindset to truly welcome ftp players - who are going to stay that way - I don't know.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    SWTOR is not f2p by any means. RIFT & TERA yes, but not SWTOR.
  • DonVadimDonVadim Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by skeaser

Seeing this I wonder who would ever want to "play" this game for free. The only answer I can think is a masochist. 

Originally posted by JudgeUK

I have returned to check out the ftp model. Also playing a couple of other ftp mmo's predominately Rift and Tera.

Swtor's model seems to be a vehicle purely aimed at getting the player to subscribe. The other two, whilst still giving benefits to subscribers, are more standalone ftp models targeted toward cash shop bonus items.

My thoughts are that a good ftp model should be able to operate as an attractive standalone offering, with the cash shop offering a wide variety of commercially attractive bonuses. In this I'd say Rift in particular has got it about right.

However, a ftp model that appears to be set up with more penalties than benefits can do more harm than good.

Why? Because it gives the impression that the ftp player is someone they didn't really want to accommodate, but circumstances have forced their hand.

You can say that this is the case for other games, and you may be right - But, these other games come across as fully accepting the change, welcoming it as an opportunity to re-invigorate their games.

I do not get this feeling with Swtor - in more or less every action, from character creation onward, there are paragraphs telling you that you are penalized, with subscription as the resolution to these penalties.

I feel that a ftp model more aligned with Rift would actually benefit swtor. But whether the developers can change their mindset to truly welcome ftp players - who are going to stay that way - I don't know.

Yea the model is very restricting, but they themselves have said that the model only acts as a demo and they want people to sub. It's really bad as a f2p no doubt in that. But yea, i always sub so it doesn't bother me.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by DonVadim

Seeing this I wonder who would ever want to "play" this game for free. The only answer I can think is a masochist. 

Agree 100%

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I don't think anyone here can say how well or poorly SWTOR is doing financially with any certainty since we don't have the information. Obvious, isn't it?

However, I will say that as long as they are coming out with new content that they must be making enough money to justify doing it. Since they just came out with a new patch, I guess they are not going bankrupt just yet. 

I don't like SWTOR. It's not my type of game, though I played it and got one character up to 40. That was enough for me. I had fun till about the mid 30s. That's just so you know, I'm not a fanboy of this game. I have subbed. I don't like their cash shop. I find the game world sterile and depressing.  The world is not open and living enough for me. But that is just me. There are literally gazillions of threads on this. ;)  I can see why other people might like it and I'm glad for them. The more games and choices on the market, the better for all of us.  I don't want to see SWTOR shut down if people are still playing and having fun - just because I don't like it.

Basically, if they are still coming out with content, they must be profitable. However you want to define success is up to you, but for people playing and enjoying the game, it's a success. For people working there and developing content for it and having a job they like, it's a success. That's all I need to know.

I don't mind a good "what's the population like" thread every now and again, but I need some numbers or else it's just a bunch of speculation.

You can see the population status trend for the last 60 days here.

http://www.torstatus.net/

What Light / Standard / Heavy mean though, no one except BW can say.

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

It did a big increase....at launch of F2P.  There were even some full serevrs.

Nowadays on occasion most populated serevrs sometimes go to heavy. Rest all full time standard.

But what exactly you want to know, 55 PvP WZs on Pubs on most populated EU server pop up in 5-10 mins in prime time.

You can get people to group for daily weeklies (i know its silly) in SX/BH.

I dont bother any more with FPs/OPs but see spam on fleet...but same spam goes on for whole time im there.

• OdenBladeOdenBlade Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Star Wars: The Old Republic should have been Kickstarter project instead.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

That is probably the worst f2p model i have ever see. Whats the point of playing f2p when you really can't play. You're better off playing a different f2p mmo.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by OdenBlade
    Star Wars: The Old Republic should have been Kickstarter project instead.

EA doing a kickstarter, you have to be kidding me?

Originally posted by nerovipus32

That is probably the worst f2p model i have ever see. Whats the point of playing f2p when you really can't play. You're better off playing a different f2p mmo.

Well it is quite nice free trial that lets you fully play best parts of the game :)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

EA have said several things since the game went f2p that provide a guide. However it is vital to know the difference between: subscribers, f2p accounts and players.

1. In their c. Aug results they said that subscriptions had dropped 25% since the game went f2p.

2. In their previous c. May results they said that they had "just under 500k" subscribers and 1.7M f2p accounts.

3. A few weeks prior to their May results they announced their 2 millionth new account since going f2p.

4. In their c. Feb results they said that revenue had doubled. 

These numbers support something under 200k subscribers and up to 300k active f2p accounts.

And in the absence of major news / advertising these numbers will decline gradually month on month. (As happens with both sub and f2p games.)

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I came back to the game and subscribed.

I'm having fun.  More fun than I'm having in The Secret World or Guild Wars 2.

This game is fast paced, I find the later two move at a snails pace.  They're good games, I just feel like I'm moving through molasses most of the time.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Problem with TOR isn't really population as much as the fact that a lot of people play it as a singleplayer RPG and might as well not be there for MMO intents and purposes. They're basically just window dressing.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Going f2p always causes a big increase.  Rift, TERA, Aion, etc.; they all had large population increases due to the f2p conversion.

Of course, not all games did as well as others.  While I do not know how the population sizes/increases of Rift, TERA, and Aion compare to each other, they are still much higher than games like EQ2 or SWTOR due to Rift, TERA, and Aion making it so that people the amount of content free players have is identical to the amount of content people had when the games had subscriptions (or almost the same with maybe one or two small things unavailable), with current subscribers getting extra bonuses, while EQ2 and SWTOR restricting what you can do unless you subscribe (although EQ2 has lightened up a bit, but not so much SWTOR, or has that changed?)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Well I could post a bunch of numbers with so support to back up those numbers like a few (usually trying to bash) do. I just give my experience from actually playing the game. I know crazy thought post on a game you actually play or played recently.

While leveling up another toon there are always multiple instances on every world. People grouping for heroics and low level fps. On my 55s prime time fleet has at least 4 instances FP ques less than 5 min. Multiple ops forming, ops finders pop in about 10-15min. Last Sunday on both factions there were multiple guilds forming events for the fleet +10 datacron. So the game is doing very well contrary to those who don't even play.
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Going f2p always causes a big increase.  Rift, TERA, Aion, etc.; they all had large population increases due to the f2p conversion.

Of course, not all games did as well as others.  While I do not know how the population sizes/increases of Rift, TERA, and Aion compare to each other, they are still much higher than games like EQ2 or SWTOR due to Rift, TERA, and Aion making it so that people the amount of content free players have is identical to the amount of content people had when the games had subscriptions (or almost the same with maybe one or two small things unavailable), with current subscribers getting extra bonuses, while EQ2 and SWTOR restricting what you can do unless you subscribe (although EQ2 has lightened up a bit, but not so much SWTOR, or has that changed?)

I am sorry are you trying to say Rift has a higher population than SWTOR?
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Well I could post a bunch of numbers with so support to back up those numbers like a few (usually trying to bash) do. I just give my experience from actually playing the game. I know crazy thought post on a game you actually play or played recently. While leveling up another toon there are always multiple instances on every world. People grouping for heroics and low level fps. On my 55s prime time fleet has at least 4 instances FP ques less than 5 min. Multiple ops forming, ops finders pop in about 10-15min. Last Sunday on both factions there were multiple guilds forming events for the fleet +10 datacron. So the game is doing very well contrary to those who don't even play.

I was on Taris imp side just the other day leveling my sniper.

there was flat 8 people with no other instances in prime time on most populated EU server.

You know why imp Taris/rep Blamorra are best planets for measuring how many new players leveling are there?