Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thread: Upcoming Combat Gameplay Update

LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Upcoming Combat Gameplay Update

<blockquote restore="" "=""> For the past couple of months we have been focusing on combat gameplay issues and balancing combat gameplay in Darkfall Unholy Wars.

With your help, we have identified issues with sustainability and limited survivability of some roles as well as the extreme flexibility of others. Some balance issues are made apparent by player preference, for example the strong preference to the Warrior role is a clear indication that something is off. Others are made obvious through experiencing them, for example the very short duration of Skirmisher and Elementalist battles.

Making changes to combat gameplay is definitely not simple. Our process includes taking the feedback, identifying the core issues, looking at our own data and our own gameplay observations, creating scenarios, running tests, crunching the numbers, testing everything, verifying everything fits together and repeating. Everything needs to be implemented at the same time and to be thoroughly tested making sure that reasonable balance is maintained. The result are many changes across the board, the goal is to make combat more fun, exciting and challenging, while achieving a healthy balance between all roles.

There is an upcoming patch which will apply all these changes. Since we are still running tests and making adjustments and last minute additions, we will post specific details sometime next week when these tests are concluded. Until then I’ll share with you our main focus areas:

Balancing at the high skill tier while addressing Time-To-Kill (TTK).
A couple of glaring issues here, among others to be discussed next week, are the Warrior role while meant to be an “easy” entry-level choice for players has also become the role of choice for a large percentage of DFUW players at high-skill tiers, especially in group situations. Also, Skirmishers and Elementalists taking too much damage from ranged attacks resulting in much shorter TTK compared to Warriors.

Sustainability and transfers
The proper timing for changes to transfers is during overall balancing changes, since changes to transfers will affect roles differently. In short, net gains from transfers are increased while cooldown is decreased.

Skill Changes
There are many skill adjustments to every role in order to support the combat mechanic and balancing changes. We will present the full list next week.

There are also some improvements to supporting combat mechanics.

We greatly appreciate the player feedback and suggestions to date. We will be improving our current feedback mechanism and player developer interaction in the weeks to come, so that the many players who consistently offer good feedback will be able to do so at a higher level.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    As a pvp game, this is probably the most important patch ever!  I hope they will tone down the OP classeses and buff up a Prim survivability. 

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

zzzzzZZZZZzzzzz ...PvP...zzzZZZZZzzzzzz.. Combat....zzzZZZZzz

Where is the important changes that would bring back the big playerbase that was intrested in DF ?

Meaningless brute force / PvP  for epeen  is getting old  rather quick.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Where is the important changes that would bring back the big playerbase that was intrested in DF ?

DFO never had the content that attracted everyone who played the game a EU1 launch. That's why that population will never be equaled.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Unfortunately way too little - way too late.
  • ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by xpiher

DFO never had the content that attracted everyone who played the game a EU1 launch. That's why that population will never be equaled.

Umm what?

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by ilives

Umm what?

The people who played DFO at EU1 launch were attracted to the game by content that never existed: skill decay, god events, lore driven PvP with the ability to ignore it with penalty, 4LR, sieges that worked, etc. As soon as it was discovered that none of this stuff would make it into the game, population went into a nose dive. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Umm what?

The people who played DFO at EU1 launch were attracted to the game by content that never existed: skill decay, god events, lore driven PvP with the ability to ignore it with penalty, 4LR, sieges that worked, etc. As soon as it was discovered that none of this stuff would make it into the game, population went into a nose dive. 

That is why DFUW is such a flop, (most) people learned from their first dealings with AV.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    AV delivered on about 10% of their promises, and the 10% that did make it into the game was poorly designed/implemented.
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    AV delivered on about 10% of their promises, and the 10% that did make it into the game was poorly designed/implemented.

Are you referring to DF1,DFUW or both?

I'm still waiting on all those dungeons Tasos said were finished months ago, in fact DFUW was advertised to offer hundreds. Which was later edited AFTER pre-orders along with the "vast underwater world".

AV has always been good about "selling a game" , but actually delivering is a different story.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

The patch is out and it's not enough to bring me back. I'm a mage and the one on one balance was not my problem coz i was good enough to kill warriors and skirmishers. It's mostly the utilities that ruined it for me since this is a sandbox game.

For example: Skimishers can use evade and dash to reach a mounted player no matter how far he is. Now with the duelist, he can now reset his cooldowns and dash, evade, leap twice to reach a mount within a sec. This ult needs to work for duelist's abilities only.

Warriors are fine now so i have nothing against them.

The resurrection spell of the primalist is the worse. With this alone, a naked primalist is more than enough. They receive 100%hp and half stamina so it's better to wait for them to fall instead of wasting mana too soon.

Once again, mages have 0 mobility spells. We can't outrun skirmishers and we need a mount to escape from a warriors. I just want a blink or something just to step away from a fight that i did no asked for. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I will not resub until they add the rest of the school's for each class and also the rest of the game.  AV needs to get their heads out of their ass's and finish the game before I give them anymore money. 

I'm still waiting on all those dungeons Tasos said were finished months ago, in fact DFUW was advertised to offer hundreds. Which was later edited AFTER pre-orders along with the "vast underwater world".

AV has always been good about "selling a game" , but actually delivering is a different story.

Exactly - last November 29 dungeons were all done and 1 year later barely any are in game....

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

Exactly - last November 29 dungeons were all done and 1 year later barely any are in game....

Get over it.

We have 3 dungeons, and they are each more awesome than the last.

For all we know 29 dungeons are done and ready, but AV doesn't want to make the world too big with 29 dungeons.

I'm still working on the 3 dungeons we got, and more will come out when we need them.

Originally posted by Lustmord

Get over it.

For all we know 29 dungeons are done and ready, but AV doesn't want to make the world too big with 29 dungeons.

I'm still working on the 3 dungeons we got, and more will come out when we need them.

A few points:

1) 1 of the dungeons are better than the last and 2 are basically the same crap from DF1 with high respawn timers

2) AV does not want to make the world too big with 29 dungeons?  Last I saw you teleport into them so you can put the portals wherever you want and not make the world too big...  Especially with how cheap it is to teleport with the fast travel.  But yeah I AM SURE for all we know the 29 are done and ready.....- good one!

Get over it.

A few points:

1) 1 of the dungeons are better than the last and 2 are basically the same crap from DF1 with high respawn timers

2) AV does not want to make the world too big with 29 dungeons?  Last I saw you teleport into them so you can put the portals wherever you want and not make the world too big...  Especially with how cheap it is to teleport with the fast travel.  But yeah I AM SURE for all we know the 29 are done and ready.....- good one!

29 dungeons would be 29 more places to go, thus the world will be bigger, and people will be more spread out.

get a clue.

While putting more content in the game and MORE places to go find people....

Get over it.

A few points:

29 dungeons would be 29 more places to go, thus the world will be bigger, and people will be more spread out.

get a clue.

You just said there were "tons" of people on NA , doens't that normally imply excess?

Perhaps new content would = new players? image

If you're saying the game population can't survive new content than the game is already doomed.  Also, I'd don't remember dungeons being excessively large given DFUW  landmass .

Okay guys..

Let's put on thinking caps on and really try to work this out....

If they were to release 29 dungeons tommorrow...

That would be 29 zones for people to scatter and hide in. That would make the word a lot bigger, and more boring.

If you average 5k prowess from each dungeons feats alone, completing these dungeons would give over 145k additional prowess, and there is not enough stuff in the game yet to spend that prowess on.

Really, let's think about it.

There's a reason why AV is staggering their content. There is a method to the madness.

So they only have enough people to support 3 dungeons? So we're forced to do the same thing over and over in hopes we get enough people to open more? I thought DFUW was supposed to be a sandbox?  AV opening and locking parts of the world sure sounds like a theme park to me.

Get over it.

A few points:

get a clue.

You just said there were "tons" of people on NA , doens't that normally imply excess?

If you're saying the game population can't survive new content than the game is already doomed.  Also, I'd don't remember dungeons being excessively large given DFUW  landmass .

Spot on there.  Plus with all the fast travel and how easy it is to teleport all over the map it would hardly take any time to travel to the dungeons.

Lust - right now game is at an all time populaton low and yes new content is needed to have any hope of bringing people back.  

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Classes and limited skills killed the Darkfall franchise for me.  I was never a great player, but I had a helluva lot of fun playing DF.  UW is just an abortion of a game, run by an abortion of a company.

Get over it.

A few points:

get a clue.

Spot on there.  Plus with all the fast travel and how easy it is to teleport all over the map it would hardly take any time to travel to the dungeons.

Lust - right now game is at an all time populaton low and yes new content is needed to have any hope of bringing people back.  

Game population is at an all time low? Maybe.

But there is still a shit ton of people. Enough that I had to defend a hamlet last night against a 100 man force.

Then afterwards ported to the other side of the world and found pvp within 10 minutes.

I easily find pvp every night. I kill people or get killed. Every Single day. But I also have enough breathing room that I can get feats done. I think the population right now is about perfect. There are 7 seiges today.

I'm having a good time, and would encourage other people to come play with me.

I'd certainly rather play Darkfall:UW than any other MMO. You guys come to these forums to bash Darkfall every day, but can you please point out a better MMO on the Market today?