Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch 2.4 (biggest patch since release) Tuesday

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Thorkune

Originally posted by maxima29
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    As long as it requires a sub (dont say its free pls, because it isnt at all), i m out. I bought it, played the free month and that was it. If it goes like RIFT's payment model, then i might get back to check it again.

My thoughts exactly. Most of these "F2P" games could learn from Rift concerning truly free.

People like these are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free or I'm entitled to live for free is a joke. Nothing is free get a job or ask your mom for $15 or stop eating at mcds twice a month. How can people have this sad mentality?

Just so you know, hero:

I am a retired professional, my Mom died in 1997 and I boycott McDonalds because they have pathetic service. Now, back to gaming information:

I prefer F2P because I don't sit at a computer hours on end wasting my life on video games. I log into a game a total of about 5 hours a week. So, F2P is best for me. But, I buy currency cards for the games that I play so that I can buy in game items at my convenience. I support my games via in game cards, but I cannot justify a subscription because I am not into wasting my money on something that I rarely use.

OK hero...so you think less than $1/hr of entertainment is to much? I don't have an issue with those who understand that f2p doesn't mean the entire game every feature is free. These are companies they have employees they need to pay they want to make money its fairly simple actually. In swtor you can play from 1-50 for free I'd say that's pretty good for the freeloaders.

Let's see:

You can't craft for free, you can't wear purple items for free, you can't send credits to alts for free, you can't contact customer service for free (this is absurd!), etc... I could go on, but I am seeing that you are going to defend it anyway. So, go play your game if it's so awesome and quit trying to defend it here.

And, your "we gotta pay our employees" logic doesn't work since MMO companies consistently claim that F2P is more profitable than subscriptions. Also, if I am paying $1 an hour for my entertainment, why would I want to donate the remaining $10 that I don't use???

Ah being retired I see you forgot how to do math. You said I play 5hrs a week. 4 weeks a month equals 20hrs. So you pay $15 for 20hrs not sure where your extra $10 comes from. Hey guess what you still can play to 50 without paying not my issue if a player is to cheap and can't put on purple. I'm not defending f2p I pay for my entertainment. I'm just saying how people with the not free enough or I'm entitled to the entire game for free like yourself are a joke and what's wrong with MMOs and society.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    ...Edited for pointless ranting...
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by StarI
    Yeah people were mostly buthurt because they blindly followed the hype and couldn't handle it very well, when it turned out to be yet another "WoW clone". But it definitely is a highly polished and well made game inside Star Wars universe, very worth playing and all the pennies you might spend on the way; despite some flaws some may point at.

I never understood what's WoW clone-ish about it except for the trinity but it is something people are demanding everywhere.

The classes? It's something we see in every game.

Heroics and all are unlike WoW.

It's also not a full sized sandbox like WoW.

Companions are unlike WoW again.

Crafting is different again because of the presence of crew skills.

Honestly, i would love it if someone could actually explain to me why people say it's a WoW clone.

was a nice try and i agree with everything,except.... WoW is NOT a sandbox game

Originally posted by Aroukos
    As long as it requires a sub (dont say its free pls, because it isnt at all), i m out. I bought it, played the free month and that was it. If it goes like RIFT's payment model, then i might get back to check it again.

My thoughts exactly. Most of these "F2P" games could learn from Rift concerning truly free.

People like these are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free or I'm entitled to live for free is a joke. Nothing is free get a job or ask your mom for $15 or stop eating at mcds twice a month. How can people have this sad mentality?

Just so you know, hero:

I am a retired professional, my Mom died in 1997 and I boycott McDonalds because they have pathetic service. Now, back to gaming information:

I prefer F2P because I don't sit at a computer hours on end wasting my life on video games. I log into a game a total of about 5 hours a week. So, F2P is best for me. But, I buy currency cards for the games that I play so that I can buy in game items at my convenience. I support my games via in game cards, but I cannot justify a subscription because I am not into wasting my money on something that I rarely use.

OK hero...so you think less than $1/hr of entertainment is to much? I don't have an issue with those who understand that f2p doesn't mean the entire game every feature is free. These are companies they have employees they need to pay they want to make money its fairly simple actually. In swtor you can play from 1-50 for free I'd say that's pretty good for the freeloaders.

Let's see:

You can't craft for free, you can't wear purple items for free, you can't send credits to alts for free, you can't contact customer service for free (this is absurd!), etc... I could go on, but I am seeing that you are going to defend it anyway. So, go play your game if it's so awesome and quit trying to defend it here.

And, your "we gotta pay our employees" logic doesn't work since MMO companies consistently claim that F2P is more profitable than subscriptions. Also, if I am paying $1 an hour for my entertainment, why would I want to donate the remaining $10 that I don't use???

Ah being retired I see you forgot how to do math. You said I play 5hrs a week. 4 weeks a month equals 20hrs. So you pay $15 for 20hrs not sure where your extra $10 comes from. Hey guess what you still can play to 50 without paying not my issue if a player is to cheap and can't put on purple. I'm not defending f2p I pay for my entertainment. I'm just saying how people with the not free enough or I'm entitled to the entire game for free like yourself are a joke and what's wrong with MMOs and society.

And, people like you are another reason why I don't play WoW or SWTOR anymore. I love the one's that defend an "awesome" game instead of playing it.

I never said it was awesome or perfect or the greatest game ever made. And I can't play it at work you know where people go so they can afford that whopping <$.50/hr of entertainment (I put in about 10-20hrs a week of the game).
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Well i have made a small video which is being uploaded right now to show that there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO DELAY on skills. I play at 200ms and even then it's almost instantaneous. Will link the thread once it's done uploaded. Gonna end this false rumour.

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Threeborn
    Inspired by the original post, I tried swtor yesterday(had it installed). Noticed 2 things instantly. 1. The graphic shaders are way too heavy. Why? I have no idea. The combat is very unresponsive. Sometimes abilities don't trigger or they go on cd but don't apply. And also there's a delay in almost everything you do. It's a sad game compared to the responsiveness of wow. Something I also noticed is that the camera pivot point is not inside the character and that makes controls feel clunky. ah, swtor is not for me...

Its called Line Of Site aka LOS. I understand playing a game for 5min makes you an expert but I only have your so called issue when I can't see the target I'm attacking or healing because a tree, building or vehical is in my way. Probably best for you to go back to whatever game you used to play cause this is clearly nothing more than a ....post.

I was there at launch, swtor didn't really hit my expectations. I'm a big star wars fan, but for me because of all the issues the franchise doesn't really hit the spot with this one... Just voicing my experience mate

Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.

Inspired by the original post, I tried swtor yesterday(had it installed). Noticed 2 things instantly. 1. The graphic shaders are way too heavy. Why? I have no idea. The combat is very unresponsive. Sometimes abilities don't trigger or they go on cd but don't apply. And also there's a delay in almost everything you do. It's a sad game compared to the responsiveness of wow. Something I also noticed is that the camera pivot point is not inside the character and that makes controls feel clunky. ah, swtor is not for me...

Its called Line Of Site aka LOS. I understand playing a game for 5min makes you an expert but I only have your so called issue when I can't see the target I'm attacking or healing because a tree, building or vehical is in my way. Probably best for you to go back to whatever game you used to play cause this is clearly nothing more than a ....post.

I was there at launch, swtor didn't really hit my expectations. I'm a big star wars fan, but for me because of all the issues the franchise doesn't really hit the spot with this one... Just voicing my experience mate

Hey no problem mate this post I can understand and have no issue with it. But your prior post about DL and seeing these issues seemed a little odd. Well another poster is posting a video showing no delay, I experience no delay people I play with never mention a delay so its either los issues, your connection, or another made up issue from the haters.

I have created the below mentioned thread for the VIDEO SHOWING ZERO DELAY, simply because this thread has derailed enough and because this title has nothing to with it. Kindly read what i had to say before viewing the video.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397350

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I have created the below mentioned thread for the VIDEO SHOWING ZERO DELAY, simply because this thread has derailed enough and because this title has nothing to with it. Kindly read what i had to say before viewing the video.

I'm downloading the game right now to give it another shot.

I'm another ex-vet who played for 2 months after release but my pvp guild moved on because of tremendous skill lag and the abomination that was Ilum.

I've watched your video and have to say, that's not really the situation that revealed the skill lag. It happened mainly in the arenas such as Huttball.

I swore never to have this game on my hard drive again after that, but time is a healer so I'll take a look and see how things have improved.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by jacklo

I'm another ex-vet who played for 2 months after release but my pvp guild moved on because of tremendous skill lag and the abomination that was Ilum.

I've watched your video and have to say, that's not really the situation that revealed the skill lag. It happened mainly in the arenas such as Huttball.

I swore never to have this game on my hard drive again after that, but time is a healer so I'll take a look and see how things have improved.

Ok, I'm obviously going to give it more time and the game is still downloading assets, but my character has no head. That doesn't exactly scream polish :)

The video i recorded was on Imperial Fleet Instance 2 having 170 people on the small station at that point (you can see the number in my video on left side bottom). If that wouldn't show up any delay caused by the server or devs, then you can be sure nothing else in the game well.

Ilum was an abomination just like you said, it had things which the engine couldn't handle and hence was removed promptly.

As for your missing head while downloading the game, i will definitely sue the devs over that :D

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

There are actually 2 leveling routes, republic and imperial with 4 starting areas. The dungeons encountered while leveling are different too for both paths.

In the second case, i agree with you. It would definitely have been more fun if it was completely open but when it involves traveling different planets i don't see how that can be made possible. Games like WoW, GW2, Rift are centered on a definite region and hence they can be made open. This is also what worries me about Wildstar sadly. I hope they do something about it.

I meant two starting zones and one leveling path for each side. Starting zones: one for jedis, one for non jedis on the Republic, one for sith and one for non sith on the Imperial. Sure, things are peppered with different flash points between the two sides but the flash points even seem same-y despite. I am not meaning to bash, it is great the first time through on both Republic and Imperial sides but after that it gets a bit stale. Since the heritage aspect of the game is there to make lots of alts, it defeats the purpose because it is not like in WoW for example where you have many different leveling paths and starting areas. In comparison you have the troll, goblin, orc, undead, tauren, blood elf, death knight and now the pandaren areas just if you play Horde alone. By level ten there are three main routes in the 1-60 zones that seem to go down to just one leveling path at 60 to roughly 65 when you get two leveling paths again for the Horde. It stays at two until Pandaria. It is true that WoW has the same dungeons whether you play Horde or Alliance, but there are many, many more dungeons than ToR has flashpoints.

I think that on the contrary they could have done a less linear leveling route by using the planets to their benefit in ToR. If they can bring people back to old planets to do bonus content, I don't see why they couldn't open more areas at other levels so that people have more choice.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Ok, I'm obviously going to give it more time and the game is still downloading assets, but my character has no head. That doesn't exactly scream polish :)

Hee hee, brings back memories of the headless atroxes in Anarchy Online.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

So to sum it up:

This game isn't anywhere near the Messiah of the genre that it was supposed to be.

In fact, it's mediocre at best.

All we can hope for is SWG pre cu v.2. That's our only hope.

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by evilastro

The point was that many skills in SWTOR are carbon copies of WoW. None of the other games have tried to rip off WoW as blatantly as SWTOR did, [...]

Ummm, did you ever play Rift? Many of the skills not only did the same thing as WoW, but had the same name.

Mind, I liked Rift well enough and played it a hell of a lot longer than I did ToR, but ToR had nothing, nothing whatsoever, on Rift when it comes to xeroxing chunks of WoW wholesale.

Not in Azeroth anymore, indeed.

I dont think "who cloned WoW the most" contest helps here ;P

Well, RIft never hid it, and ex BW doctor said that "WoW is standard and if you deviate youre stoopid"

Bith games are where they are today though, thats what matters the most. Those who like em can still play them, but they are basically failed games. SWTOR much more than RIft though. (and yes you can still like a failed game, just look at Vanguard)

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I was all set on buying(pre-ordering actually) RoTHC digital expansion(aka DLC), i did not find 19.99$ to be too much, why? because every quest/ pve encounter in SWToR comes with awesome voice acting that cost a lot of money. then i saw one thing written on the buy page : "free to play restrictions apply". i was puzzled, so i sent an email to [email protected](there is no in game support for f2p/preferred players like Rift/Tera does) and they replied to me that even if i buy RoTHC dlc, if i do not have active subscription i will have to buy Ops pass from cartel market to do the Ops that comes with RoTHC and f2p/preferred FP loot limit also apply. So basically i pay for the dlc but to do the Ops i will have to buy Ops pass each week that cost 240CC and to full loot new dungeons i need FP pass also cost 240CC, so for me it is 19.99$+(5$ each week). I don't mind they don't allow me to loot core game FP and don't let me do the Ops in core game, i DID NOT pay for them but i was going to pay for RoTHC so i should be allowed to enjoy everything that came with that but that was not what EAWare had in mind. So i said bye bye and never logged in since then. I don't think it will be wise for them to change their f2p model and make it like Rift or TERA but there is a limit as to how much lame things can be and they crossed it for me. So yeah now i don't play it but i wish them luck, if this new content update is good then that's a job well done from EAWare.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by jesteralways
    I was all set on buying(pre-ordering actually) RoTHC digital expansion(aka DLC), i did not find 19.99$ to be too much, why? because every quest/ pve encounter in SWToR comes with awesome voice acting that cost a lot of money. then i saw one thing written on the buy page : "free to play restrictions apply". i was puzzled, so i sent an email to [email protected](there is no in game support for f2p/preferred players like Rift/Tera does) and they replied to me that even if i buy RoTHC dlc, if i do not have active subscription i will have to buy Ops pass from cartel market to do the Ops that comes with RoTHC and f2p/preferred FP loot limit also apply. So basically i pay for the dlc but to do the Ops i will have to buy Ops pass each week that cost 240CC and to full loot new dungeons i need FP pass also cost 240CC, so for me it is 19.99$+(5$ each week). I don't mind they don't allow me to loot core game FP and don't let me do the Ops in core game, i DID NOT pay for them but i was going to pay for RoTHC so i should be allowed to enjoy everything that came with that but that was not what EAWare had in mind. So i said bye bye and never logged in since then. I don't think it will be wise for them to change their f2p model and make it like Rift or TERA but there is a limit as to how much lame things can be and they crossed it for me. So yeah now i don't play it but i wish them luck, if this new content update is good then that's a job well done from EAWare.

And yet, when Blizzard charges 150+ USD for their games + expansion but doesn't allow you to even log-in without a sub, it's fine right? I mean, it's WoW after all.

Just an FYI, WoW charges $30 USD for an expansion with an included month sub, ROTHC + 1month sub were available for $25. People who didn't want to buy the sub were charged $19.99 for only ROTHC.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

What is this? WoW fans vs SWTOR fans? Get a grip people. I played both games extensively and both of them came out a big disappointment. They didn't turn out to be the game I was expecting them to be : a MMO world that actually feels "alive" and not static, competitive group content, loads of sandbox features and for that you need great pvp also.

No "hold hands, let me walk you through the whoooooole content" mentality" .

They both failed in my opinion, I don't care how much money they make. The only MMO developer that I have seen so far that shows the right mentality in order to make a proper MMO, is Carbine with Wildstar. Even though I m not a fan of the cartoony style, they've shown so far that they understand what is missing and what was lost in the MMO genre. Let's hope they ll deliver.

As for SWTOR it will remain a good but not awesome game that will be truly meant for star war fans. After 2 years of watching what EA and Bioware did with SWTOR my hopes for this game to achieve that MMO greatness are extremely low.

I know what is wrong with you people! I DOOOO! You want a GREAT MMO to sink your heads in but unfortunely there is none at the moment. Not for the old school WoW players at least. So relax and wait for that big one to come because it will.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Kinado

What is this? WoW fans vs SWTOR fans? Get a grip people. I played both games extensively and both of them came out a big disappointment. They didn't turn out to be the game I was expecting them to be : a MMO world that actually feels "alive" and not static, competitive group content, loads of sandbox features and for that you need great pvp also.

They both failed in my opinion, I don't care how much money they make. The only MMO developer that I have seen so far that shows the right mentality in order to make a proper MMO, is Carbine with Wildstar. Even though I m not a fan of the cartoony style, they've shown so far that they understand what is missing and what was lost in the MMO genre. Let's hope they ll deliver.

As for SWTOR it will remain a good but not awesome game that will be truly meant for star war fans. After 2 years of watching what EA and Bioware did with SWTOR my hopes for this game to achieve that MMO greatness are extremely low.

I know what is wrong with you people! I DOOOO! You want a GREAT MMO to sink your heads in but unfortunely there is none at the moment. Not for the old school WoW players at least. So relax and wait for that big one to come because it will.

I find your post mildly amusing tbh, you shout out for sandbox like mmo's and then you go onto saying that Wildstar will deliver whats lost in the MMO genre? its about as themepark as it can get, and yes I speak from experience.

And then you go onto calling out oldschool WoW players as the ones waiting? I doubt very much oldschool WOW players are waiting for a sandbox game.

The only important thing about your post is "game I was expecting them to be", keyword "I".

Originally posted by Kinado

Well none of this would have happened if the haters wouldn't have come pouring. It was just a thread about the upcoming patch 2.4. I mean i too don't like FFXIV but i haven't made it my business to go to each and every thread and tell people how much of a failure the game is, with false facts. There are people who enjoy the game so let them. Why ruin their fun with all the nonsense?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by evilastro

The point was that many skills in SWTOR are carbon copies of WoW. None of the other games have tried to rip off WoW as blatantly as SWTOR did, [...]

Ummm, did you ever play Rift? Many of the skills not only did the same thing as WoW, but had the same name.

Mind, I liked Rift well enough and played it a hell of a lot longer than I did ToR, but ToR had nothing, nothing whatsoever, on Rift when it comes to xeroxing chunks of WoW wholesale.

Not in Azeroth anymore, indeed.

I did play Rift but didn't notice the skill correlation. All I noticed about Rift combat (at launch) was that it was spamming builders then using combo skills. A lot like Rogue combat in WoW I guess, but not that similar to other classes. Rift is a bit different now, most classes seem to have their own style.

On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind.

I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

Originally posted by Moodsor

On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind.I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

I've said it many times and will say it again. These people with the not free enough are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free is a joke. Free trail? Your right you can only play the entire original game from 1-50. You get to take part in the best story of any mmo on more then one toon even. Yes I see how that is a free trial. You could ask your mom for $15 or not goto MCD twice a month. Then if you played 3.5 hrs a week that would equal about $1/hr of entertainment not sure how people can qq that any game is not free enough.
    Originally posted by Moodsor

On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind.

I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

I've said it many times and will say it again. These people with the not free enough are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free is a joke. Free trail? Your right you can only play the entire original game from 1-50. You get to take part in the best story of any mmo on more then one toon even. Yes I see how that is a free trial. You could ask your mom for $15 or not goto MCD twice a month. Then if you played 3.5 hrs a week that would equal about $1/hr of entertainment not sure how people can qq that any game is not free enough.

Would you calm down? Jesus... I stated how I view it when compared to other games free to play model, no need to go all crazy about it. If you cannot cope with people having an oppinion on forums meant for discussion, you might not wanna visit the forums.

You say this is whats wrong with MMO's? you think you are helping by throwing a fit whenever you disagree with someone?

This discussion has been closed.