Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why was GW2 so popular this year, with 5,519, 402 unique hits?

Comments

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

I am no GW2 fanboy, I only played the first in beta then went to other things. I have to say that this game could be considered the best game for a number of reasons.

I just started playing this game a couple weeks ago. I had a lot of reservations about it when it was released and decided to play other games. I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised by the experience so far. The amount of content GW2 has to offer over other games on the market right now is like comparing a hay floored carnival to Six Flags.  Not only do you get a pretty decent storyline that is both engaging and fun imo but you also have all the other static mission areas and then ones that just pop up all over the place. I actually found many of them to be fun.  You have plenty of dungeons and then another type of dungeon/instance called fractals, which I just started doing and find very fun. Then on top of all that you have other activities that I personally also find fun, I really like the race and crab hold thing.

There is enough PVE to keep someone satisfied for a decent amount of time, if you dont play 12 hrs a day of course, any game is going to end fast when people revolve their lives around the game.

The PVP is also fun for me. If you like open world you can head into the WvW. I d'on't really like zerging but when 2 zergs meet it gets pretty intense. You can always get a couple people to run around and have other fun. I actually liked getting with a small team and causing trouble.  I have only done a little spvp but the fact that you can create whatever build you want with gear makes me drawn to it a little. 

The game is large and leaves a lot to be explored for those that enjoy the exploration of worlds. The graphics are decent.

Constant updates and patches. The community is by far better than any of the games I have seen come out recently.  I have yet to experience the garbage that is so prevalent in F2P games. 

The server I am on and the servers I have guested to have all been highly active.

Why couldn't this be a contender for most popular game in 2013?

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    For me at least it's the most polished game out there, haven't tried ffarr though. And it's different from this army of wow clones. So yeah, I like it. Graphics are cool, there's some pretty neat places, action combat is quite nice, nice fantasy lore, can't think much bad to say about it. works for me, it's quite casual
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
    I also forgot to mention to those that have yet to play, regardless of level you can participate in all the pvp and fractals and most things. You can also go back to areas you have leveled past and still have fun due to the game placing you at the appropriate level for the engagement.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    If you got your desired satisfaction of an MMO after 1-6 months of play and are happy with that, then good for you (that is NOT sarcastic).  That's a good way to go about things. However, that's probably not very good for the company making that MMO. I don't know that much about MMO business, but I'm pretty sure they generally need to retain players for longer than 6 months In order to make up the costs of production (and those 6 months of maintenance) in most cases.

I'm guessing you are an older gamer and this is more your viewpoint showing through here. It used to be when you got a new game you expected to play it for years on end but the market has completely changed. I'm sure if they get people engaged for 6 months they are pretty happy about it and they know that they will probably get more money out of you when they put out an expansion.

I used to measure how much I liked a game in how many years I played it, now it just isn't realistic to measure it in more than months because way too many high quality games come out each year. I used to stick with games even when I was kind of bored because there just wasn't much that I was excited about switching to. The monthly fees really change things too. You aren't married to a game as much without the fee.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

If you got your desired satisfaction of an MMO after 1-6 months of play and are happy with that, then good for you (that is NOT sarcastic).  That's a good way to go about things.

However, that's probably not very good for the company making that MMO. I don't know that much about MMO business, but I'm pretty sure they generally need to retain players for longer than 6 months In order to make up the costs of production (and those 6 months of maintenance) in most cases.

I'm not quite sure where you get your numbers, but times changed very much.

Back in the days you've got couple of MMOs on market and you pretty much were forced to play that game for years. These days? There are tons of MMOs coming out and many are actually pretty good. They can't work around "our playerbase will stay with us for years". It would be madness. I suppose they play for "let's make very broad audience and if everyone in the world play us for 6 month, that's fine". Also with B2P and F2P schema = no subrscription, you can come back at any time.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Simple: Lots and lots of advertisement. Whether its through banners, or through getting articles placed on the site actively (Yes, incase you didn't realize it, they are purposely having that happen to advertise game even if what it details is often trivial or minor other games don't bother pushing out).

Really, that is all there is to it. Without the constant attempts to keep itself up front, its likely it probably wouldn't reach anywhere near the numbers it does receive. 

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Anet has been doing a lot of dumb things lately. Makes me want to go back to SWTOR even though that game is a train wreck.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

"Hits" ?

Page views?  Because hits is far different from unique  players...
  • NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

I still enjoy the game myself, I go on binges playing it constantly. I take breaks though every now and then, so that helps me keep wanting to play it every now and then.  I think the combat really helps with the game popularity, the B2P model is also very casual and inviting to people since you don't have to cancel a sub, or start a sub again.

Though I do wish they would update some of the weapon skills, or at least give us some different options on the skills, like an offensive, defensive, and support set for each weapon.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Bottom line... Apparently there are quite a few people that do not share your opinion of Guild Wars 2 and really enjoy playing the game. I know, shocking.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

Déjà vu...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/391140/25-Million-Active-Users-per-week.html

oh, and that thread's last poster's words is so true:

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Fact is, it doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme.  Random forum stats never do.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

GW2 gets most hits because they release new stuff every 2 weeks. Simple as that.

Oh and because it's probably the second most popular MMO in the west currently, and WoW players generally don't frequent MMORPG.com.

• WroniecWroniec Member Posts: 9

I like  GW2  because it's something new ... never done before, the mechanic feels fresher then most mmorpgs 

SWTOR is just old mechanics and nothing new  not to mention their F2P model sucks 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Wroniec
    I like  GW2  because it's something new ... never done before, the mechanic feels fresher then most mmorpgs SWTOR is just old mechanics and nothing new  not to mention their F2P model sucks   
    SWTOR definitely shows how not to run a free to play game. It is also just all around clunky. If a game can't get combat feeling good it is never going to be all that popular.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    There are two universal facts. GW2 is the best mmo and Justin Bieber the best pop singer. Everyone knows that the only thing that matters is the number of unique hits.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by redrain84

I have played GW2 a few times this year and I cant understand what makes it so popular.. It had 5,519,402  hit this  year,  the 2 other games behind it were  FFXIV ARR with 2.822,729  hits, and swtor with 2132,26. So statistically speaking this is the best MMO out at the moment, why? It isn't that good, what am I missing?

I thought swtor was the best mmo of the year.

If you don't know then pointless trying to convert you... As for swtor that game for me was pants and I will never log back into that game again.

Asbo

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Attention does not equal population swell, TOR got a lot of attention as well after its release mostly because the complaints about the game were swelling the forums. Much of that is also true with GW2.
  • SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by tom_gore

GW2 gets most hits because they release new stuff every 2 weeks. Simple as that.

Oh and because it's probably the second most popular MMO in the west currently, and WoW players generally don't frequent MMORPG.com.

It cannot even compete with EVE, numbers even say SWTOR is making more revenue than GW2 right now. 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

It cannot even compete with EVE, numbers even say SWTOR is making more revenue than GW2 right now. 

source please

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Because for 365 days, there's been atleast one feature and or news on the front page of this site.

This.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Because many people are tired of the linear quest hub design.  We played WoW long enough that we don't need to play it again.  I am not forced down a corridor of mind numbing quests in GW2 unlike every other game out there.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

What you mean cannot compete with EVE numbers?

Not only GW2 has more players than EVE, in terms of revenue GW2 did in 1 year what EVE did in 6 or 7 years.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/21/eve-online-saw-66m-in-revenue-last-year-mulls-ipo/

"Revenue has been growing too, at a compound annual growth rate of 53 percent, bringing in total revenue of $300 million over the game’s lifetime. As for profits, CCP would only say that it has “very healthy margins” — a claim backed up by the fact that it has grown to more than 450 employees despite only raising $3 million in seed funding."

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    If no one's said it already, I think it's probably because of the constant patches and story updates.  I come here often myself just to see what's new in case I don't have time to find out in-game.  Other than that, it's hard to deny that GW2 is one of the more popular MMO's in years, and one of the few that didn't slip off the radar a month after release (probably because of said updates).
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Attention does not equal population swell, TOR got a lot of attention as well after its release mostly because the complaints about the game were swelling the forums. Much of that is also true with GW2.

See this is just your opinion so nobody really cares

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Now you have made the fatal troll + hater mistake in this post and tried using facts ...which are bullshit . So now we don't care about your opinion  from your first post and we also know you're full of it from your second