Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why was GW2 so popular this year, with 5,519, 402 unique hits?

Comments

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59

Well im an ex gw2 fanboy an dhardcore player i played since closed beta days, now to th epoint the gmae is not bad and is fun for sometimes but only if u like to "collect" stuff and i mean usseles stuff alas: minis,skins and stuff that only give cosmetic diferences, becasue as a hardcore gamer i ami ended all story and dungeons in all paths in less than 2months, yeah they add "events" but these events are the thing i abandoned the game why? WELL because if u miss one event u miss part of the collection u were achieving so why keep collecting if ur collection is incomplete forever? so i stoped since theres nothing else to play for for real

Second the events are just mini games and little kill lot minions stuff to get guess what? YES!! more collection and achivemnts but saldy since ur colection will never be complete because u missed some events well no way to continue

Play for fun u mean? well for fun i can play tons of games on the pc,ps3 or xbox no need for that game top have fun, even u can play lot other mmos

Anyway this maybe the response of what u can think a soar hurt player but no in my opinion is a game that apeals to casual who dont care about completition or repetitive disguised "events", DONT tkae me wrong i liked it and i would be still playing if wasnt because i give no more importance to a elitist 24/7 gamer kids, i have a job and school so no time to play every 15 days stressing out to completition whne is th eonly late game that exists and is condemned because i lost part of it forever.

I loved and will alwasy love gw1 but gw2 disapointed me because many reasons, and plus extra they said will b eno expansions they want all players stay on same areas so the game dont look empty so expect years of revamp of the same areas and bosses to maintain you packed there.

Is popular? yes is the best? well no its far from it, the most topics u made here the most players now the game stop the topics the game si forgotten si simple

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Well 4 months ago you had have seen 10 million hits plus.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by LlexX
    Originally posted by redrain84

So, why was GW2 so popular this year?

Because of the tens,hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing and brainwashing.

the game was very well marketed. What brainwashing are you talking about?

If you want to bring brainwashing to the discusion then talk about Swtor..... the biggest brainwashing in history and look where all that went.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by LlexX

So, why was GW2 so popular this year?

Because of the tens,hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing and brainwashing.

Actually, I think it was word of mouth and good reviews, especially ones like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Because it is almost every day in the front page of mmorpg. Either as an article or news about the game. This is called advertising. But most visited or viewed, doesnt makes it the best.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821

Because almost every other MMO could easily have their named changed to World of Warcraft server #3482 and no one would know the difference. Guild Wars 2 is a game of its own, and, by that fact alone, it deserves to have more hits than just about every other MMO out there.

Also, SW:TOR was crap. Sorry. It just was.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

I have played GW2 a few times this year and I cant understand what makes it so popular.. It had 5,519,402  hit this  year,  the 2 other games behind it were  FFXIV ARR with 2.822,729  hits, and swtor with 2132,26. So statistically speaking this is the best MMO out at the moment, why? It isn't that good, what am I missing?

I thought swtor was the best mmo of the year.

Just because come out this year, or it was last year? the point is, is pretty much the only new MMO of the last year. Thats Why. 

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Aeander

Because almost every other MMO could easily have their named changed to World of Warcraft server #3482 and no one would know the difference. Guild Wars 2 is a game of its own, and, by that fact alone, it deserves to have more hits than just about every other MMO out there.

Also, SW:TOR was crap. Sorry. It just was.

Is just point of view. 

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Carnicide
    This game would be so much better if it had tanks. Not healers, just tanks.

Damage Tank Guardian

Support Tank Guardian

I personally roll 0/0/30/30/10 with hammer / GS in general PvE. In dungeons, I roll Hammer/Scepter+Shield. You can have plenty of mobility control and with shouts you can pretty much reduce damage by 33% forever.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by Carnicide
    This game would be so much better if it had tanks. Not healers, just tanks.

Damage Tank Guardian

Support Tank Guardian

I personally roll 0/0/30/30/10 with hammer / GS in general PvE. In dungeons, I roll Hammer/Scepter+Shield. You can have plenty of mobility control and with shouts you can pretty much reduce damage by 33% forever.

That and aggro is usually based, at least in part, on toughness. The highest armor player will almost always be focused hard by mobs, leading to "tanks" being a very real thing. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I doubt it is unique hits in the true sense of the word as at almost any given time there are only a couple thousand people on this site.

When people are either very into or very into hating something they come back and post over and over and keep clicking back to check responses and everything else. It just means it is something that leads to discussions and nothing more.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

what I don't get is, why does it matter so much to you?

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Because people like myself keep coming back and playing it and checking the forums. This is a great game that is replayable and also adds content consistently.

It is just a very well build game with lots to do. People probably keep coming back to it.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Yes popularity does not equal best.   In order to say a game is best you have to have objective criteria.  Popularity might be one of the criteria.  But you need to look at games overall with specific criteria before you can judge something as best.

Now having said that, it saddens me to see how many people use that as their excuse to say "Yea I played it for 2 days and didn't like it", therefore regardless of how popular it is, it is a bad game.   Also wrong.

It is a popular game, therefore it has aspects that many people like.   Could be graphics , could be gameplay etc, I don't know, as I haven't played it.   But one thing I do know is that even if I had played it, I couldn't call it best or worst simply based on whether I liked it or not.

And I wish posters on this site would get that into their head and stop doing it!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I consider it one of the best games I've every played , if not the best game I've ever played.  People don't need to beat themselves up over not liking a popular game.  Your tastes are your tastes.  I dislike WoW and have no problem accepting that and the fact that many gamers disagree with me. 
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    GW2 is a very hot item with a lot of detractors. You won't get that much hits with fanboys alone.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I wager it has more to do with the frequent events rather than people seeing how good it is. Despite my personal misgivings about the game it is still a solid product with tons and tons of dev support. I could say the same for WoW even though I don't play that anymore either. 

While I appreciate what GW2 tries to do I personally prefer the insane deck building from gw1 XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

As someone who has played more or less every MMORPG ever made this was by far the best new MMORPG to come out in years. The polish, the smoothness of combat, the amount of content etc is just miles ahead of everything else. Games like SWTOR and RIFT look like amateur games compared to it.

Having said that, some of the choices they made with GW2 make it a very bland game that doesn't tend to have longevity for a lot of people. No real end game progression, no PvP servers (and no the mists are not real PvP), downleveling so you never feel powerful, very bland stats on the items and not enough skill diversity, the lack of a real LFG tool until recently etc has made it a game that I personally found it hard to even reach max level in. I recently came back and I'm hoping it sticks for me this time but the MMORPG genre has just been awful for years now with a bunch of WoW clones and shoddy games like WAR/FFIV released.

Hopefully this is the first in a strong generation of new MMORPG and hopefully some of them put some life into the game so it isn't so vanilla and bland.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

GW2 is a great game.  I spent TONS of time in WvW, got like 5-6 characters to max level or very near there, and met great people in my guild.  It's honestly one of the best MMORPGs I've ever played.

That said, I got everything I wanted from it at this point, and I'm done now.  May come back for an expansion in the future though.

I think one of the main issues people have with MMORPGs, is that they expect them to entertain them FOREVER and if they don't...then they failed.  I played GW2 for maybe 4-5 months, and I couldn't have been happier with it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Creslin321

GW2 is a great game.  I spent TONS of time in WvW, got like 5-6 characters to max level or very near there, and met great people in my guild.  It's honestly one of the best MMORPGs I've ever played.

That said, I got everything I wanted from it at this point, and I'm done now.  May come back for an expansion in the future though.

I think one of the main issues people have with MMORPGs, is that they expect them to entertain them FOREVER and if they don't...then they failed.  I played GW2 for maybe 4-5 months, and I couldn't have been happier with it.

Welcome back old friend.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly on this. I feel that if the game is good, it will entertain, and outlast competitors because it gives what you need, and it does what you want better than the rest. 

If a game can only do this for a few months, I see it as a fad. It may have offered what you thought you liked, or there simply wasn't enough of what you liked. 

I prefer a game I can poor obscene amount of hours into, be rewarded, and not run out of "want/needs to do's". If player driven content is at the heart of your game, and if you are rewarded for your time invested doing things you love, 4-5 months will be a drop in the bucket. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Only because of mass advertisements and updates I was just in GW2, and the updates do not make me feel like returning to GW2 for long term its still a massive grind-fest for top-end gear, lacks the updates that I want to see in the game, and well they have not fixed the armor bugs between races even when reported 3 times over the past year which is why I really don't feel like sticking around GW2. ( Sure if you want the good looking level 80 weapons that is, Massive grind.)

Also the fact that GW2 is nowhere like GW1  and doesn't give me the ability to choose my own skills or anything it is like meh old game boring I rather have the ability to play a new MMO that allows me to play all classes on a single character not GW2 doesn't offer enough even with their massive recruiting AD of new content every two weeks I don't care about new content I want old content fixed.

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Welcome back old friend.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly on this. I feel that if the game is good, it will entertain, and outlast competitors because it gives what you need, and it does what you want better than the rest. 

If a game can only do this for a few months, I see it as a fad. It may have offered what you thought you liked, or there simply wasn't enough of what you liked. 

I prefer a game I can poor obscene amount of hours into, be rewarded, and not run out of "want/needs to do's". If player driven content is at the heart of your game, and if you are rewarded for your time invested doing things you love, 4-5 months will be a drop in the bucket. 

I think it depends on the game.  DOTA 2, I will play that for a very long time.  GW2, FFXIV, GTA, etc.. I will play those games for a month or two maybe, maybe less.

But I have no issue with that, I love games that I can play for a long time, but I also love games that I play for a bit and I'm done with them, so long as they are enjoyable.  To me, theme park games are all in that "short term" category.  I have 0 interest in raiding or gear grinding, and I find that other games do PvP better.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

If you got your desired satisfaction of an MMO after 1-6 months of play and are happy with that, then good for you (that is NOT sarcastic).  That's a good way to go about things.

However, that's probably not very good for the company making that MMO. I don't know that much about MMO business, but I'm pretty sure they generally need to retain players for longer than 6 months In order to make up the costs of production (and those 6 months of maintenance) in most cases.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    It's part of their viral marketing campaign. Maintain as high a profile as possible on fan/industry sites such as this.
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

If you got your desired satisfaction of an MMO after 1-6 months of play and are happy with that, then good for you (that is NOT sarcastic).  That's a good way to go about things.

However, that's probably not very good for the company making that MMO. I don't know that much about MMO business, but I'm pretty sure they generally need to retain players for longer than 6 months In order to make up the costs of production (and those 6 months of maintenance) in most cases.

There are lots of players out there that enjoy theme park games long term, gear grinding, raiding, etc.  I am just not one of them.

I don't know how GW2 is doing right now with retention, but I doubt it's exactly a ghost town.

I would come back to the game if they released a new class or something.