Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT in your own MMORPG history?

Comments

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

It was pure luck, but my darkmoon card (twisting nether) procced three times in a row when I was ganked in WOW with my mage.  I finally killed the guy after he killed me for the 4th time...I just kept coming back and blasting him when he stopped to rest!

...In retrospect, I was pretty horrible at that game.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

haha....I guess my best accomplishment in an mmo was when me and a friend took down a special dragon that shouldnt be taken down by 2 people......getting caught by a guild doing it.....GMs porting in demanding the item drops (even though they where already transferred to alts).........and then getting dced after GM said trade or else. Never allowed to log in game again, mothers last name given a life time ban from subscribing to the certain game makers games "period." 

Server rollback was implemented shortly there after.

Looking back it was so stupid of my friend and I but we where young and dumb........still get a laugh thinking of all the trouble we got into haha. 

Now that I think of it.........I didnt really accomplish anything but getting banned from a good game lol.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    I'm quite appalled by the number of people who consider giving up their life for a video game to repeat the same tasks for very long periods of time (aka grinding "hardcore" for a year to get a crafting skill up, repeating the same PvP battleground for months 12 hours a day, taking weeks to get just one level, etc...) as an accomplishment. I guess the workers who tighten the same screw all day long on car assembly lines are the greatest achievers ever then, and at least they get paid for it.

Oh the melodrama... now players are "giving up their life" for video games.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by dave6660
    I'm quite appalled by the number of people who consider giving up their life for a video game to repeat the same tasks for very long periods of time (aka grinding "hardcore" for a year to get a crafting skill up, repeating the same PvP battleground for months 12 hours a day, taking weeks to get just one level, etc...) as an accomplishment. I guess the workers who tighten the same screw all day long on car assembly lines are the greatest achievers ever then, and at least they get paid for it.

Oh the melodrama... now players are "giving up their life" for video games.

If you think it's just melodrama, you haven't played back in "vanilla WoW". Getting the rank 14 title in PvP back then definitely required you to give up your life. You missed one day, the other "no life" would distance you with no chance for you to catch up.

Rank 14 back then was only reachable by either teenagers during school holidays (or skipping school) or unemployed people. exactly what "giving up your life for a video game" means. You NEEDED to play 12+ hours a day. And there was no player skill involved either, it was just pure repetitive mindless farming.

We had one guy in my back then guild who did it. He was online all the time. During the week, the week end, anytime you logged in, he was in a battleground, be it at noon, midnight, 3am. Anything less and he would have failed.

Also keep in mind that there were only 3 BGs back then in WoW: AV, WSG and AB. So you basically repeated those three for weeks and weeks, for 12+ hours a day, again, and again. Sorry, but I don't admire such people, I'm appalled by their stupidity.

That is unhealthy gaming.

My computer is better than yours.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Getting a new friend.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Getting a new friend.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Seriously, what idiot plays video games to feel like they accomplished something?  It's entertainment.  It's a way to waste time. That's all.  If this is the biggest accomplishment in your life, something is seriously wrong.

You are not alone in that feeling.  It is a time sink and hopefully a fun one!

That's really all that it is, some people feel that putting so much time and effort into a game somehow gives it meaning.  It's about as worthwhile as competitive Monopoly.

It is a trap very easy to fall into. Games are designed to give the illusion of achievement, and particularly when you sink time into it, you see progress.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Keeping my job and my marriage together ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    My greatest accomplishment is successfully running a wonderful guild in WoW.  I seemed to have a knack for bringing together enough like-minded folks to ensure a good atmosphere and my style of leadership was firm but fair (I hope).
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Not spending anything in the Neverwinter cash shop.
    Originally posted by laserit

Career and family is WAY more important than video games.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Getting involved in a Trammy guild war in Ultima Online, circa ~2001-ish.

A friend of a friend got me involved because the 2 Guildleaders had offered up their guild houses (a keep and a tower if I remember right) after some heated arguments on the forums. Anyway by this time I had my own successful assassin clan and had been PvPing almost exclusively for some time and both parties involved were made up of Trammies who really weren't up to speed skill or character wise.

Anyway long story short I grabbed 2 friends of mine and a couple PvP bags and went to work. The 3 of us single handedly destroyed a guild of 20+ while our "allies" guarded the rear. I had screenshots of me and my buddies literally surrounded by ghosts and dead bodies. 

Good times.

Runner up would probably be setting up the assassin forms on UOStratics where you could hire someone to kill a target of your choice for money. Lots of good memories from that (ofc UO:R changed all that...).

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

Why do anyone needs to be convinced? I am just stating something that is pretty obvious. Do you need to be convinced? You think games are more important than family and career?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    In order : 1.killing nefarion for the first time with my guild after 3 months of trying, 2. getting world no 2 dps (wol) on twins 25 heroic all classes pre IC , 3, weening myself of wow and saving a marriage!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Why do anyone needs to be convinced? I am just stating something that is pretty obvious. Do you need to be convinced? You think games are more important than family and career?

Yeah, that's what he thinks image

Some things are so painfully obvious and beyond simple common sense that they need not be said.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

Some things are so painfully obvious and beyond simple common sense that they need not be said.

That's sort of my point.  When thing are painfully obvious they need not be said.  When they are stated it makes me wonder if the person is insecure about it.

-- Herman Melville

That's sort of my point.  When thing are painfully obvious they need not be said.  When they are stated it makes me wonder if the person is insecure about it.

That is assuming no one states anything obvious on this forum, which is obviously wrong on a daily basis. You never see people stating the obvious just to hammer in a point, not unlike what i am doing now.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Being apart of the server first kill of heroic Lich king 25 man in WoW, who at the time was the hardest boss WoW had ever had......wiping on him for over a month for a few hours a night, finally seeing him go down, was one of the greatest feelings iv ever had playing a video game in general.

Working on insanely hard content with a group of people you have come to bond with for months  on end, all celebrating victory together, is something that I don't think can be replicated in another genre.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

My impression exactly.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    LOTRO

On a roleplaying server I had a character, hobbit named Archibold "The Rooster"

There was an achievement cloak with rooster insignia painted on it, and special "chicken" emote. To get it , you needed to pass the way from Hobitton to Rivendell transformed into a chicken with 1 hp. If you get aggro and die, you need to do this again. And you can also not communicate with nobody except with chicken sounds.

It took me many tries of this journey that takes almost 3 hours, but on the end i managed to reach Rivendell as a chicken thanks to few chicken loving players that protected me from trolls and similar enemies.

But on the end, my character Archibold "The Rooster" was the only one on the server that had such cloak :)

That is awesome! Well done :)

I was one of the rare ones to have that cloak on Laurelin too. It is indeed an "achievement" of patience and perseverance. It was what you could call "hard", too, all about timing the few chicken skill when you climb up that ledge just after the Bruinen.

The famous cloak on my Loremaster:

PS: I did it without any player help, just using the chicken skills.

It was awesome , everyone always asked me where I got that cloak.

I think MMOs need more of such things that make player unique and special in some way ...

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

One of my greatest accomplishments was when I reached level 50 with my Bonedancer Murderous Heartbreaker in Dark Age of Camelot.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Getting my hands on a JEbay account and then later unlocking and grinding 2 more Jedi toons myself in SWG.
  • TheSlitherTheSlither Member Posts: 59
    Cleared Naxx in vanilla WoW + GM title vanilla WoW.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    He, he, ... so far, having 11 maxed out alliance alts. Or all combinations of rep and empire alts. However thing that mattered most to me and will never forget is that incredible feeling when i got my first mount with warlock. At that time had only warrior when i realized will never have enough money to buy a mount. I was missing a lot of knowledge of rich wow universe. Switched to warlock and was happy like never before when I got my first mount. Well ... one in time learn to play better and have now full set all maxed out, all crafting and gathering combinations ... And when i need break from wow and swtor ... I will try anything. But so far have only concluded that there is nothing worth out there so far besides this duo. Still have been very happy for some time with Aoc, War (unfortunately doomed now), CO, TSW, ..