Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch 2.4 (biggest patch since release) Tuesday

Comments

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by StarI
    Yeah people were mostly buthurt because they blindly followed the hype and couldn't handle it very well, when it turned out to be yet another "WoW clone". But it definitely is a highly polished and well made game inside Star Wars universe, very worth playing and all the pennies you might spend on the way; despite some flaws some may point at.

I never understood what's WoW clone-ish about it except for the trinity but it is something people are demanding everywhere.

The classes? It's something we see in every game.

Heroics and all are unlike WoW.

It's also not a full sized sandbox like WoW.

Companions are unlike WoW again.

Crafting is different again because of the presence of crew skills.

Honestly, i would love it if someone could actually explain to me why people say it's a WoW clone.

It's wow clonish  because end game revolves around acquiring gear from dungeons. So that you can acquire more gear from dungeons. It's the same game with a different skin.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

OP, though I think this is a solid game and certainly not in line with the hate it gets from these forums, if you are going to mention the Patch in the way that you did, you should list those features that made your post relevant. 

As far as some of the other comments in this thread. WOW is not a sandbox and whoever wrote that has absolutely no idea what a sandbox is. 

Similar to what someone else wrote, I DO think this was one of the most polished at release. Other than some occasional lag on the space station, I was able to run on high with no significant drops in FPS since Launch and compared to many of the other MMOs I have played at Launch, I experienced just about no game breaking bugs and everything felt extremely smooth. I think the graphics were fine, not great, but not at all bad. I preferred what Guild Wars 2 did with the graphics, especially in the cities.

The reason I am not playing anymore has nothing to do with content. I stopped at level 48. It was just too linear to me, the social hubs (or hub in this case) were in the wrong places, and everything felt without soul since just about all NPCs would stand in place, no day night cycles, no swimming, just not enough enough immersion. Why I didn't experience all this bugs, hero engine issues, or latency I have no idea. I keep saying it must have been my magical computer or internet service from Charter which is rated as one of the lowest internet service providers out there. 

There Is Always Hope!

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Tinybina One of the most polished MMO's out there.  

I enjoy playing this game as co-op rpg with friends but this game really doesn't count as mmo.

And polished? The Hero Engine joke is all over the internet because of the constant skill delay in this game, which makes pvp look like a messy joke.

No clue what game your playing but I have pvped all day long today and yesturday. no delay here.

No clue how you are playing but you sound like a mouse clicker and wont notice ability delays because you use action so slowly.

Hater be gone, there is no delay.  This is not warhammer.  And I play Planetside 2 and played Planetside 1, no MMO requires more twitch skills then those two.  If there was a dealy I would notice, and I don't.  Perhaps the delay is due to your horrible ping.  Upgrade ur internets.

Edit: If this game had delay in combat when it first launched or something it is gone now.

The delay is still there. Go look on the forums. Many, many posts have been made. Tons of instances where you hit an ability, and the character does nothing for .5 to 2 seconds, then the ability goes on CD even if it didn't get used.

It tends to happen in PvP more than the leveling, so if you don't do a ton of PvP you probably wouldn't notice it.

Don't believe me? Please read this thread -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=227621

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I have a couple of questions that hopefully some players can answer:

1. Are these patches free - I bought the original game and played for a few months)

2. I did wander back as a ftp player sometime ago, but compared to other ftp models - Rift for example - the swtor one just seem geared to getting you off ftp onto a sub model. In fact it reminded you of the penalty of ftp at every quest. Has this ftp model changed much?

Thanks in advance for answers to the above

1. You can sub just for a month to get the Hutt expansion for free. Even if you don't you will get the patches but you might be not be able to travel there because it's level 55 content.

2. Nope, the devs clearly say that f2p is just like a demo (even though you can complete all the stories without paying any thing) and they want player to sub to enjoy the game. Although you can buy certain things to get rid of the restrictions within like 20 USD if you don't like sub.

More on 2. in 2.4 F2P can do unlimited Warzones ! Also recent changes for F2P players are listed below.

• Implemented changes to improve the overall experience for Free-To-Play players at early levels:
      • Free-To-Play players can now train Sprint at level 10.
      • Free-To-Play players are now granted the Emergency Fleet Pass ability at level 10.
    • Authorization: Event Equipment Requisition has been removed from the Cartel Market. All players now have access to Event equipment.
    •  
    • All levels of the Global Legacy Unlock: Fleet Pass have been adjusted:
      • The base cooldown for the Fleet Pass ability is now 9 hours for subscribers.
      • The base cooldown for the Fleet Pass ability is now 12 hours for non-subscribers.
      • Legacy Fleet Pass I, II, and III now reduce the ability cooldown by 3 hours each.
    • All levels of the Global Legacy Unlock: Legacy Travel and the Quick Travel ability have been adjusted:
      • The base cooldown for subscribers is now 25 minutes.
      • The base cooldown for non-subscribers is now 45 minutes.
      • Legacy Travel I, II, and III now reduce the ability cooldown by 5 minutes each.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

It's Star Wars and does not have an effective Stars nor Wars part of the game.  It would be an All Time great game if it were a single player game, or even a small four person Co-Cop game.  Get rid of the god awful "Kill 5 Womp Rats" type of quests, dump the leveling system and viola.

But it is an MMO, and a bad one at that.  It has problems.  For people who played the early MMOs in the genre and the early version of SWG (warts and all) we laugh at this game.  For WOW noobs who have only been playing MMOs for the past 5 years or so, they will feel right at home.

I feel bad for those people.  They never got to play the classics and as such their ceiling is a game like this...lol.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    good luck to them

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by rpm1986

Yeah people were mostly buthurt because they blindly followed the hype and couldn't handle it very well, when it turned out to be yet another "WoW clone". But it definitely is a highly polished and well made game inside Star Wars universe, very worth playing and all the pennies you might spend on the way; despite some flaws some may point at.

I never understood what's WoW clone-ish about it except for the trinity but it is something people are demanding everywhere.

Honestly, i would love it if someone could actually explain to me why people say it's a WoW clone.

http://i.imgur.com/Yc6so.jpg

Do you need more explanation?

This is cute, why don't you do this for Lorto, rift, war, age of Conan, tera, ffxiv, Ddo, sto, eq1, eq2, etc etc. Not sure the point in doing this well actually I do and I'm sure everyone else does just can't say what it is on here.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

That's right folks, for those of you that never gave this game a spin, try it.  IMO it is really one of the best MMO's out there.  And with this patch things are just going to get better.

Agree fully with you, in all this years i was unable to find anything not even remotely fun as SWTOR and Wow. With this duo all my gaming needs are covered for time being. :-) And to think Swtor got into my radar only maybe month before release, kinda hated because of so much advertisement before release. That was best investment in gaming in years. Sure, this is not preventing me to try any new game that comes with 2 conditions: 3rd person view and moving avatar with mouse.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by maxima29

This is cute, why don't you do this for Lorto, rift, war, age of Conan, tera, ffxiv, Ddo, sto, eq1, eq2, etc etc. Not sure the point in doing this well actually I do and I'm sure everyone else does just can't say what it is on here.

This is exactly what i thought when i saw it. Apparently, having Defensive skills, cleaves, boosting skills, etc. all make the game a WoW clone. This is just ridiculous, to be honest. By that image, even offline RPGs are WoW clones. Maybe we should rename the genre to WoW.

Anyways to the people complaining about SKILL LAG, i am gonna record and post a video to get this rumour done once and for all. There is no lag or delay, even though i play at 200ms on EU, abilities are instantaneous suggesting that the abilities, etc. are handled client side which would leave no room for delay unless your internet is not communicating the final outcome of the ability with the  server.

I play a Healer and for me skill delay is very important but it's not there, i have checked multiple times.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

to the OP:

"Patch 2.4 (biggest patch since release) Tuesday "

but all I see from your post is what a awesome game SWTOR is.....

can you at least post something here about this 'biggest patch' for the ones that are too tired to actually dig in to the SWTOR site posts? Because, that's what your post was referring to if not mistaken?

Unless this was meant as a way to draw in more ppl to your game?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

to the OP:

can you at least post something here about this 'biggest patch' for the ones that are too tired to actually dig in to the SWTOR site posts? Because, that's what your post was referring to if not mistaken?

Because his title only said that it's the biggest patch. The title never said that he is gonna be giving patch notes or explanations.

I write this because just a couple of posts below his, i clearly described the things to be released with the patch and yet some people are still nitpicking about the title and the OP.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I am glad the OP likes the game but for some reason his experience with the community has been very different from mine. I tend to play with the general chat off because it seemed like most of it was sexually explicit and there were quite a few people who were just downright rude if someone asked a question.

The game itself is ok. It is the recent MMORPG release I have played the most and I sub every now and then to check out new stuff since the F2P experience is too limiting. I think that the combat and classes are decent, but the game is too restricted in its scope. It relies too much on the personal story that suddenly disappears at level 50. The heavy reliance on story (personal or not) and restricted areas are what makes me lose interest pretty quickly. I usually only play a month at a go. Not only that, I have no real desire to level lots of alts and engage in the heritage aspect of the game (which is what it seems to try to encourage) because there are only four total starting areas and one leveling path.

In that sense I wish that ToR were more like WoW with its many starting areas and level routes especially in the 1-60 zones.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I am glad the OP likes the game but for some reason his experience with the community has been very different from mine. I tend to play with the general chat off because it seemed like most of it was sexually explicit and there were quite a few people who were just downright rude if someone asked a question.

The game itself is ok. It is the recent MMORPG release I have played the most and I sub every now and then to check out new stuff since the F2P experience is too limiting. I think that the combat and classes are decent, but the game is too restricted in its scope. It relies too much on the personal story that suddenly disappears at level 50. The heavy reliance on story (personal or not) and restricted areas are what makes me lose interest pretty quickly. I usually only play a month at a go. Not only that, I have no real desire to level lots of alts and engage in the heritage aspect of the game (which is what it seems to try to encourage) because there are only four total starting areas and one leveling path.

In that sense I wish that ToR were more like WoW with its many starting areas and level routes especially in the 1-60 zones.

There are actually 2 leveling routes, republic and imperial with 4 starting areas. The dungeons encountered while leveling are different too for both paths.

In the second case, i agree with you. It would definitely have been more fun if it was completely open but when it involves traveling different planets i don't see how that can be made possible. Games like WoW, GW2, Rift are centered on a definite region and hence they can be made open. This is also what worries me about Wildstar sadly. I hope they do something about it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Muke

to the OP:

Because his title only said that it's the biggest patch. The title never said that he is gonna be giving patch notes or explanations.

I write this because just a couple of posts below his, i clearly described the things to be released with the patch and yet some people are still nitpicking about the title and the OP.

Yeah well, you have a person posting BIGGEST PATCH SINCE RELEASE and you would expect that there is some referral to that patch, like what does it bring?

Yet it was another troll bait thread saying how great this game is.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by Tinybina No talking about silly stuff in chat (...) Seriously if you ever got to play Anarchy Online you know what I am talking about(...)
    I spent better part of my life in AO and... you must have been playing on RK1 or RK3 or Omni, because Rimmor Clan chat was all about talking about silly stuff. ;)

And zerg raiding but thats another story.

B)
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Inspired by the original post, I tried swtor yesterday(had it installed). Noticed 2 things instantly. 1. The graphic shaders are way too heavy. Why? I have no idea. The combat is very unresponsive. Sometimes abilities don't trigger or they go on cd but don't apply. And also there's a delay in almost everything you do. It's a sad game compared to the responsiveness of wow. Something I also noticed is that the camera pivot point is not inside the character and that makes controls feel clunky. ah, swtor is not for me...
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The point was that many skills in SWTOR are carbon copies of WoW. None of the other games have tried to rip off WoW as blatantly as SWTOR did, also you cant include EQ1/2 as WoW clones since they were both around before WoW, and WoW borrowed heavily from EQ1 (and polished it to be mass marketable).

Sith Sorcerers and their Jedi counterparts are also  pretty much carbon copies of Shadow spec Priests in WoW.

The game only really has 8 mirrored classes, and yet they had to borrow so heavily from WoW.

The only things that really differentiate SWTOR from WoW is the voiced storytelling (which WoW has now adopted) and companions (which were borrowed from EQ mercenaries).

Anyway, its all a bit pointless, if you like the game who cares? Lots of games in this genre copy ideas. Some more than others, but if you like WoW with a Star Wars facelift who are we to begrudge you?

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by evilastro

The point was that many skills in SWTOR are carbon copies of WoW. None of the other games have tried to rip off WoW as blatantly as SWTOR did, [...]

Ummm, did you ever play Rift? Many of the skills not only did the same thing as WoW, but had the same name.

Mind, I liked Rift well enough and played it a hell of a lot longer than I did ToR, but ToR had nothing, nothing whatsoever, on Rift when it comes to xeroxing chunks of WoW wholesale.

Not in Azeroth anymore, indeed.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I can't remember the last time I had an ability go on cooldown but not fire.  I've seen it go on the global as if it went off but didn't actually get used.  That happens in just about any game you can think of.

It's sad this is the biggest patch notes ever for the game lol.

Originally posted by Threeborn

Inspired by the original post, I tried swtor yesterday(had it installed). Noticed 2 things instantly. 1. The graphic shaders are way too heavy. Why? I have no idea. The combat is very unresponsive. Sometimes abilities don't trigger or they go on cd but don't apply. And also there's a delay in almost everything you do. It's a sad game compared to the responsiveness of wow. Something I also noticed is that the camera pivot point is not inside the character and that makes controls feel clunky. ah, swtor is not for me...

Its called Line Of Site aka LOS. I understand playing a game for 5min makes you an expert but I only have your so called issue when I can't see the target I'm attacking or healing because a tree, building or vehical is in my way. Probably best for you to go back to whatever game you used to play cause this is clearly nothing more than a ....post.
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

IMO it is really one of the best MMO's out there.  And with this patch things are just going to get better.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    As long as it requires a sub (dont say its free pls, because it isnt at all), i m out. I bought it, played the free month and that was it. If it goes like RIFT's payment model, then i might get back to check it again.

My thoughts exactly. Most of these "F2P" games could learn from Rift concerning truly free.

And, I'm not into games that I cannot explore. Not only is the F2P restrictive, the maps are as well.

Originally posted by Thorkune

As long as it requires a sub (dont say its free pls, because it isnt at all), i m out. I bought it, played the free month and that was it. If it goes like RIFT's payment model, then i might get back to check it again.

My thoughts exactly. Most of these "F2P" games could learn from Rift concerning truly free.

People like these are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free or I'm entitled to live for free is a joke. Nothing is free get a job or ask your mom for $15 or stop eating at mcds twice a month. How can people have this sad mentality?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

People like these are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free or I'm entitled to live for free is a joke. Nothing is free get a job or ask your mom for $15 or stop eating at mcds twice a month. How can people have this sad mentality?

Just so you know, hero:

I am a retired professional, my Mom died in 1997 and I boycott McDonalds because they have pathetic service. Now, back to gaming information:

I prefer F2P because I don't sit at a computer hours on end wasting my life on video games. I log into a game a total of about 5 hours a week. So, F2P is best for me. But, I buy currency cards for the games that I play so that I can buy in game items at my convenience. I support my games via in game cards, but I cannot justify a subscription because I am not into wasting my money on something that I rarely use.

OK hero...so you think less than $1/hr of entertainment is to much? I don't have an issue with those who understand that f2p doesn't mean the entire game every feature is free. These are companies they have employees they need to pay they want to make money its fairly simple actually. In swtor you can play from 1-50 for free I'd say that's pretty good for the freeloaders.
This discussion has been closed.