Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT in your own MMORPG history?

Comments

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Breaking the record for killing Maat in FFXI as a RNG on my server. All of the horror stories I heard before ever seeing the fight made me go nuts when we started fighting. Used an Icarus wing for 100% TP, but never used a potion and he was dead as fast as I could Slug Shot, Barrage, Slug Shot, Eagle Eye Shot. 20 seconds later and around 100hp it was over. I took pride in the damage I could output.

Not a big deal at all but I thought it was cool. The records weren't all-time, I think it was just for the month or something.

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    playing a sub based game for free.....gotta love EVE's PLEX system, im so gonna enjoy having months worth of gameplay and skill training just  by doing hardcore industry and PvE (mining, missions, planet interaction) on holidays.......
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Defending the central keep as a scout in Battlegrounds 2.

It was 10 am on a Tuesday summer morning. I decided to poke in to hunt some mobs and get bonus xp because it's an RvR zone.

BG2 is always, ALWAYS empty. No one bothers with the central keep. That's why I was surprised when I saw 6 Hibs run towards the keep, currently owned by my realm.

I sneaked inside just as they started killing the guards. I watched them, figuring out what class everyone was, then went to work.

I'm not usually a great PvP player, but I dominated them. I felt like someone possessed, someone had taken control of me and was doing everything perfectly. I would appear where they weren't checking, I'd kill or wound my target, slip away only to appear opposite of where they started searching anew. Eventually, I held them so long that they called for more men. A full group showed up, so now we had 14 players attacking this keep. And I was still fucking them up. I killed them over and over again, ducking behind battlements, sneaking out of the keep itself, taking out their healers, their casters, harassing their tanks.

I never died. I held them long enough, and spammed my realm alliance channel until I got one person to help me. Then two people.

Fast forward an hour and there were 16 Albion players at the keep, pushing bag a tide of 40 enemies. We pushed them all the way back to their portal keep. It was amazing, and I was the de facto leader during all of it.

Best PvP of my life.

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    I played Lineage 2 with a girl for 8 years and then i married her. :)
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by wangkom

I'd say that L2 is definitely a good way to test a girl's patience... if she manages to go through the awfully terrible grind of that game, she will most likely endure anything a man can throw at her... =P

My computer is better than yours.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Lumping these off as "just a game" is outdated thinking imo.

Doing well in an online game and getting some sense of achievement for accomplishing something isn't much different than practicing and winning the big basketball or football game, or something.   

It's a hobby like anything else.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    me being the first dark padawan and first cap space pilot of my guild on swg

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'm not sure about my greatest, but some of my most satisfactory feelings have come from getting my Blacksmith to Grandmaster on UO back in the day before Trammel.  It doesn't sound like much, but people PKing you constantly and losing your horse and materials and the like for the night (or for the week) made it hard to level up blacksmithing as you had no fighting abilities (or got ganked easily while working).  Not to mention it took over a year just to skill up blacksmithing, even powergaming every night.  It was worth it as I made billions of gold in time.  There was an epic battle that I remember for a plot of land that a lot of people wanted.  The team I was on managed to claim in, and there was an epic battle of dozens and dozens of people on screen.

I'd also have to say getting the AF gear in FFXI felt pretty awesome for my classes.  That and just running around and stopping at random parties to power level them or to raise someone; that just made me feel good to help people.  Maybe even camping NMs with large linkshells and doing all those events with them as well.  Then there's beating the White Raven in FFXIV 1.0 what with how bad that game started out to be; just sticking with it and doing something few of the few could do was pretty rewarding. 

Then probably some vanilla raiding in WoW and some in The Burning Crusade.  That just felt epic in it's own right; raiding hasn't really changed much, in fact it's probably got harder when it comes to heroic raiding.  Though it's just not the same as trying something out the first time, the first few years.  Getting high PvP ranks in Vanilla WoW also felt like an accomplishment, especially since I was on a competitive PvP server whereby you had to get 1,000,000 honor a week just to maintain a mid-level rank.  Then all of those ganks or anti-ganks throughout the years, and saving other people's behinds from overwhelming odds in World PvP.  It's possibly that policing Quel'danas was also a pretty enjoyable experience for me as well, as it made it more possible for people to get dailies done and not have to worry about ganks all that much.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    I'm quite appalled by the number of people who consider giving up their life for a video game to repeat the same tasks for very long periods of time (aka grinding "hardcore" for a year to get a crafting skill up, repeating the same PvP battleground for months 12 hours a day, taking weeks to get just one level, etc...) as an accomplishment. I guess the workers who tighten the same screw all day long on car assembly lines are the greatest achievers ever then, and at least they get paid for it.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Lured and traped a powerful raider in my house and eventually killed him in salem. it takes at least 3 months grind to build such a character. If ive faught him head on he could kill me in 5 secs while being barely scrached.  Death in the game is permanent.
  • FuzzySmithFuzzySmith Member UncommonPosts: 3

Finally finding good MMOs and throwing trash like WoW and Diablo 3 in the garbage where such trash belongs, IMHO!!  LMAO!!!!

Actually my GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT in my MMORPG history is making several very good and very cloase friends that otherwise I would have never met especially my friends Lightbearer and Hairee!!

:)

Life's a B***H and then you die, so F**K the world and let's get high!!

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97

A) made it into the guild g8 in ragnarok online, best guild back then 

B) first druid with t2 armor on my server

C) first player with full t2 on my server

d) got into top 100 2v2 arena gamers in bc

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Seriously, what idiot plays video games to feel like they accomplished something?  It's entertainment.  It's a way to waste time. That's all.  If this is the biggest accomplishment in your life, something is seriously wrong.

You are not alone in that feeling.  It is a time sink and hopefully a fun one!

That's really all that it is, some people feel that putting so much time and effort into a game somehow gives it meaning.  It's about as worthwhile as competitive Monopoly.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by wangkom

I'd say that L2 is definitely a good way to test a girl's patience... if she manages to go through the awfully terrible grind of that game, she will most likely endure anything a man can throw at her... =P

Haha i agree :) i love L2 thought, can't wait for Lineage 3.

Originally posted by waynejr2
    Seriously, what idiot plays video games to feel like they accomplished something?  It's entertainment.  It's a way to waste time. That's all.  If this is the biggest accomplishment in your life, something is seriously wrong.

You are not alone in that feeling.  It is a time sink and hopefully a fun one!

That's really all that it is, some people feel that putting so much time and effort into a game somehow gives it meaning.  It's about as worthwhile as competitive Monopoly.

Time is the problem indeed. Things that take time aren't automatically hard.

For instance, I kind of "admire" the top raiding guilds who kill really hard heroic bosses. Those guys aren't simple grinding, they are good at the game too. Same goes for top PvPers in competitive (aka "balanced") PvP. Those guys win because they are better.

To the opposite, I have no respect for people who stop eating, washing and sleeping when a new expansion gets released and play themself ill, giving up their real life, just to be first to hit the new max level, max out their crafting skills or whatever else. That is in my opinion non sane gaming, and it takes absolutely no skill either.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Time is the problem indeed. Things that take time aren't automatically hard.

For instance, I kind of "admire" the top raiding guilds who kill really hard heroic bosses. Those guys aren't simple grinding, they are good at the game too. Same goes for top PvPers in competitive (aka "balanced") PvP. Those guys win because they are better.

To the opposite, I have no respect for people who stop eating, washing and sleeping when a new expansion gets released and play themself ill, giving up their real life, just to be first to hit the new max level, max out their crafting skills or whatever else. That is in my opinion non sane gaming, and it takes absolutely no skill either.

I don't think those guys are better, I think those guys have way too much time on their hands and need lives.  It is, of course, their lives to waste, but spending that much time on a game is idiotic IMO.  Games are entertainment.  Turning to your entertainment as though it was a second job is a sign of a sick mind.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Hogger
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

ANY accomplishment achieved while having kids is a big accomplishment in itself. While other people level cap in a week or less, it can take me months and months.

:P

Getting too old for this $&17!

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Hrica
    Hogger

YES!!!! #^$%@ YES!!!! LOL!!

Getting too old for this $&17!

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Getting my epic swords on my ranger in everquest. Also getting my last coldain prayer shawl was pretty exciting. Both done with the help of a lot of great friends.

Not all who wander are lost...

• alix123alix123 Member UncommonPosts: 26

DAOC-Pellinor server:  Bringing down the first dragon of the server (Hibernia side)

Mythic just added dragons and it was all the rage!  Server pride, realm pride, you name it, it was all in play and on the line!  

We kept hearing how some EU server slayed the first dragon of the game () and how those darn Albs and Mids on our server kept attempting to kill theirs before us.  

I remember how days of collective zerg wiping ensued as we would try to fight our way to the dragon's lair while being led by different small groups of devoted players.  This was then followed by days of massive wipes at the dragon and we are talking about groups of 150+ people easy and hrs per run.  It's like the server was in 24/7 raiding mode with different "zerg shifts".  Those were the days!!

And then came this one day, this one run that started just like any other run and yet it was gonna be it. This was going to be the run where Cuuldurach The Glimmer King is brought down.

Now I had no idea of that, I started on that run like on any other with my usual eagerness and sense of prideful purpose as a small cog in a great machinery that was our Hib Awesomeness.  Being there as the dragon falls before Albs and Mids can take down theirs was the Uber moment that I was hoping for but little did I know that I was gonna get much more!!

Indeed, it just happened that not only the dragon went down but that I also landed the killing blow with my ranger.  It was no skill of my own what-so-ever but what a crazy overkill in wow factor to see your name pasted in the general information for such an unexpected kill spam.   

Ah... the memories... DAOC... /sniff

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I have a few, but probably my most momentous would be:

1.  Killing Absolute Virtue in FFXI...if you don't know what that is, don't even look it up, it'll give you nightmares not even trying lol.

2. In Vanilla WoW, Getting Sulfuras, the Hand of Ragnaros, back when it was an actual challenge.

3. First relic keep siege in DAoC...so many people we crashed the server XD

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    LOTRO

On a roleplaying server I had a character, hobbit named Archibold "The Rooster"

There was an achievement cloak with rooster insignia painted on it, and special "chicken" emote. To get it , you needed to pass the way from Hobitton to Rivendell transformed into a chicken with 1 hp. If you get aggro and die, you need to do this again. And you can also not communicate with nobody except with chicken sounds.

It took me many tries of this journey that takes almost 3 hours, but on the end i managed to reach Rivendell as a chicken thanks to few chicken loving players that protected me from trolls and similar enemies.

But on the end, my character Archibold "The Rooster" was the only one on the server that had such cloak :)

That is awesome! Well done :)

I was one of the rare ones to have that cloak on Laurelin too. It is indeed an "achievement" of patience and perseverance. It was what you could call "hard", too, all about timing the few chicken skill when you climb up that ledge just after the Bruinen.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Must be when I created the Iron Gloves Mercenary Company, a roleplaying guild fielding some 30 soldiers at its height, in UO Europa Shard, in about 2000 (give or take a year or two).

30 active person RP guild was nothing to sneeze at back then, mind you :)

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    LOTRO

On a roleplaying server I had a character, hobbit named Archibold "The Rooster"

There was an achievement cloak with rooster insignia painted on it, and special "chicken" emote. To get it , you needed to pass the way from Hobitton to Rivendell transformed into a chicken with 1 hp. If you get aggro and die, you need to do this again. And you can also not communicate with nobody except with chicken sounds.

It took me many tries of this journey that takes almost 3 hours, but on the end i managed to reach Rivendell as a chicken thanks to few chicken loving players that protected me from trolls and similar enemies.

But on the end, my character Archibold "The Rooster" was the only one on the server that had such cloak :)

That is awesome! Well done :)

I was one of the rare ones to have that cloak on Laurelin too. It is indeed an "achievement" of patience and perseverance. It was what you could call "hard", too, all about timing the few chicken skill when you climb up that ledge just after the Bruinen.

The famous cloak on my Loremaster:

PS: I did it without any player help, just using the chicken skills.