Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to get bored :-( ?

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Well, I just logged in for about 20 minutes or so. More than half of my FC hasn't logged in for 2+ weeks. Peopleare getting bored, simple as that. Leveling is too fast and trivial, and end game isn't enough for many it appears (can't say I blame them, gear treadmill bores me to tears after having done it in WoW, Rift, etc.). I personally think they should have launched with the 2.1 content already in, and if that meant pushing the game back 2 months, then so be it, because it'd have been better off for it. 
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    Well, I just logged in for about 20 minutes or so. More than half of my FC hasn't logged in for 2+ weeks. Peopleare getting bored, simple as that. Leveling is too fast and trivial, and end game isn't enough for many it appears (can't say I blame them, gear treadmill bores me to tears after having done it in WoW, Rift, etc.). I personally think they should have launched with the 2.1 content already in, and if that meant pushing the game back 2 months, then so be it, because it'd have been better off for it. 

Leveling is as slow or fast as you make it (in your case fast), and it seems MMO's bore you to tears.

A normal person would come to a logical conclusion; "perhaps MMO's aren't for me."

MMO gamers however think that playing yet another MMO will help their addic...I mean give them a great experience. Then they can justify their boredom with "the devs simply didn't make enough content. That's why I'm not entertained. Now where to get my next fix...."

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

I have a ton to do. Only 3.337% complete.

Progress to 100% Levelled Character

imageLv 30

imageLv 15

imageLv 15

imageLv 15

imageLv 16

imageLv 16

imageLv 16

imageLv 16

imageLv 15

imageLv 12

imageLv 19

imageLv 17

imageLv 17

imageLv 20

imageLv 15

imageLv 11

imageLv 20

imageLv 17

imageLv 20

4,904,105 / 146,946,000   (3.337%)

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Leveling is as slow or fast as you make it (in your case fast), and it seems MMO's bore you to tears.

A normal person would come to a logical conclusion; "perhaps MMO's aren't for me."

MMO gamers however think that playing yet another MMO will help their addic...I mean give them a great experience. Then they can justify their boredom with "the devs simply didn't make enough content. That's why I'm not entertained. Now where to get my next fix...."

Man I couldn't level any slower with my 2nd character ,  I pretty much tanked every single dungeon and didn't do any fates after lvl 15 . And still hit 50 within 2.5 weeks ,  1 week for WAR doing FATES .

I ran every dungeon till 50 to max level , now I have 2 tanks WAR and PAL ,  but they both use same armor at lvl 50 so I don't even get the pleasure of farming gear for them both .

There is nothing wrong with FF14 it's a great game , they just clearly didn't have time to put in more content,   the lack of voice acting in some story cutscenes is prime example of rushing product .

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Simsejensen

Recently ive found myself only to login to do "x" amount of Castrum Speedruns, to eventually get some DL armor piece. This is starting to get boring.

Ive done AK runs every day at hitted cap every week. Got my +1 relic weap.

Got every crafting profession there is around level 20.

I just cant find something new to do. I hope its because its a new game and all. Eventually new patches will come, and u can use some time on housing, bla bla bla.

Anyone felt the same?

That my friend is the grind.  Every game has them.  That's why many play free to play MMOs: once you hit the grind (or at least a grind you can't enjoy), you just stop playing that game and play another.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    lol Of course you're bored! This is a modern MMO and you've been playing a whole month! Why wouldn't you be bored? This is what this genre has come to.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Grailer

Unfortunately the dungeons were tier T1 and T2  ,  so it was 5 dungeons I guess .

I wish they considered a similar idea with this game because I really enjoyed running some of the dungeons in FF14  , it would be nice to get a harder mode that had a few extra bosses and harder mechanics .

Did the Devs actually consider that people would get to 50 so fast and become totally bored brain dead of running 1 dungeon 50+ times ?

Did they even want people to sub after the month ?  Im assuming almost everyone has lvl 50 by now .  I guess the real casual players would be reaching 50 soon too .

2 hard modes are already coming in 2.1 (along with a new dungeon).

The game has no recycled dungeons but actual unique dungeons. You simply need to pick your poison because I'm sure there was no bitching about recycled dungeons at lvl50 in Rift ever.

You can't pick your poison at 50, which is the problem.  Before 50, i would agree with you.

You have 1 dungeon,  AK, to run over as the only viable way to accumulate Tomestone of Mythology that you need for your AF+1.  What's worse is that it's a 4-man for some idiotic reason.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

How I became a Tin Can (a typical night in Eorzea)

Logged in on my only character Nahkti, he was set as Gladiator, lvl 24 almost 25, I checked the Armourer crafting log, a whole load of new stuff to craft for a lvl 25 Gladiator. Switched to Miner (need some ore), head off to Ul'dah to start gethering. Miner is using lvl 22 tools, but is lvl 30, I check my Blacksmith crafting log, switch to Blacksmith, I attempt to make some HQ (high quality) steel plates, realising that expecting to get high quality at this low a level is probably folly, I switch back to Miner, the lvl 22 tools are doing fine anyway....The Gladiator armour also needs Aldgoat Leather, I switch over to Leatherworker. I have tonnes of leather from a previous killing spree as a Mage, felt bad about killing that many, got over it though. Crafted some HQ leather.

Brass rings are next on the materials list, so back to Miner, jump on my mount and head on over to the other side of the zone where the right nodes are. I Gather loads of copper and zinc, switch to Goldsmith, craft some ingots (HQ of course) and convert them to Brass Rings, switch back to Armourer, to finally start crafting the Gladiator pieces. With fingers crossed, HQ items, many praises to the gods and goddesses of RNG and a little skill in decision making, I finally get my lvl 25 Gladiator Armour (HQ) and I'm a happy man.

I switch to Gladiator, pick up two quests in town, kill a mage who keeps summoning stuff and stopped some beasties from destroying a wall, BAM! I'm lvl 25, I put on the new armour with a sense of pride.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's all about how you play, my highest class is lvl 32 (Botanist), started off wanting a Black Mage but decided I enjoy tanking so I'm catching my Gladiator up via the dungeons and having a blast doing so. At this rate I'm really not sure when I'll get a lvl 50.

I've been playing since early access, most nights I'm there and regularly do very long stretches at the weekend too. In reality I've been playing for months (got in to alpha, that's all I can say on that), still not bored.

I've not been grinding leves, done very few of them. I've been savouring what it has to offer, if I get bored I switch to another class and do something else, or even log out! (*gasp*).

I'm considered a hard core gamer by my peers, I play a lot. It's just that the end game has never been my motivating factor. It's all about the world and journeying through it, there's something about the world of Eorzea that hits the spot for me. Sorry it doesn't for you OP.

• NovaRyuNovaRyu Member UncommonPosts: 31

None of the people complaining about lack of content have completed the current content in the game, so they have really no basis for their argument. You can quit the game for any number of reasons, but being done with the content isn't one of them, because no one in the world has beaten it all yet. Grats you got your relic +1, big deal, you haven't even touched the more challenging (and rewarding) content you find in Coil of Bahamut.

This game has been a blast. Its the first game in a long time that a month after it came out pretty much all my friends still log on every night to play it. I will be the first person to agree that there should have been more instances to run at 50 to initially gear up (AK and PR over and over get old), but in terms of challenging group content to run with my friends each week I'd have to say this game is one of the best for an initial launch. This stuff is damn hard and it feels great when we beat something we struggled with the week before.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Yesterday I logged on for a few hours. Decided I would lvl some other jobs to get cross skills, ran into a guild mate in the newbie lands and helped him with my higher char didnt gain any xp all those hours.

Guess im doing mmos wrong.

Earlier that day my sons wanted to play it, my 3 year old had fun just runing around with my companions (I didnt get it but he was getting all excited). And my 6 year old for some reason wanted to kill lvl 1 flys. He got a kick out of it but im sure all the low lvl players didnt find it to fun.

I never understood why people come on a forum and say how they played all these hours and beat the game and all this. But when did that start to be normal, Me personally if I got to 50 in a few weeks and had done all the "end game" stuff  by now I wouldn't admit it. I just dont get how you guys play so much and are so dedicated to it. From kids, work, house work, family & friends drama, running, and working out. I just log in to relax. Guess im just not pro.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I decided a while ago that this game wouldn't be worth a sub and shortly after decided to stop playing it knowing exactly how the game was going to play out (for me at least).

The whole "wait for 2.1" thing is extra comical.  This is already a revamp of a game.  Shouldn't it rock NOW?  No, no, wait for a patch that's coming "this year" - I've heard november but who really knows...that's 1-2 months away for a game that plays so fast that you can be done with it in a month.  Dates slip, features drop, so who really knows what or when.

I like crafting but I found crafting in FFXIV to be tedious and boring.  I've never minded gathering my own mats but gathering in FFXIV is beyond boring.  Run around in a tight circle tapping the same ever respawning nodes.  Shoot me.  So if you find this stuff entertaining...wow...I mean, that's great.  But as has always been the case in MMORPGs, many don't care for crafting OR gathering OR alting.  I love alting too and the classes in FFXIV are fun to try out but not when the only way to level is to grind more fates.  I ran dungeons to death to avoid fates - which is fun, but you need something to do when waiting for DF to pop that doesn't suck.

For a game that's been developed twice now, no, there actually is not that much to do, particularly at end game where, according to the lead designer himself, the real game beings.  I wouldn't call leveling crafts, gathering, or alt classes to be endgame.

"SE could implement TEN dungeons for this step and as the result everyone would flock to one of them"

Yeah, but they didn't make ten.  Not even close.  Nor did they give anybody any incentive to do anything other than to max efficiency.  There's no lockouts or other reasons to ever run anything but the most efficient content.  Instead of providing more dungeons and limiting how many times per day they can be run, they put a weekly limit on stones instead and let people repeat the mind numbing content (CM) - second only to ALL fates as the most boring and lame content ever created.

You can talk all the nonsense you want but when it gets down to end game grind, people are going to take the path of least resistance, or, since that's what most other people are doing, you'll end up doing it too just because that's what everybody else is doing.  When 7 of your guildies say, run CM with us for the 100th time, what're you going to do, say, nah, lets do Praetorium instead even though it's longer, a sliver more difficult, and equally or more miserable with cutscenes.  Those 7 will think you're insane over that slight of a difference in idiotically easy content.

The design of the game opens up the path of least resistance - or closes it.  In the case of FFXIV, there are very clear paths and nothing about the design directs or encourages anything else.  There's a reason why most MMORPGs put some kind of artificial constraints on reptition at endgame, because if you present players with X number of choices, and one choice is clearly the easiest with equal or higher payout, guess which one players will do as much as possible?  You need to give players a reason to do the harder or less rewarding content (or design it to all be somewhat equal) - like locking them out of the easy content to nudge them to variety.

Why should players intentionally play dumb (well, FFXIV is all about dumb but work with me here) and do content that isn't ideal just to do something different?  Players shouldn't need to go out of their way to make the game fun and engaging - it should be that way by design.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Yesterday I logged on for a few hours. Decided I would lvl some other jobs to get cross skills, ran into a guild mate in the newbie lands and helped him with my higher char didnt gain any xp all those hours.

Guess im doing mmos wrong.

Earlier that day my sons wanted to play it, my 3 year old had fun just runing around with my companions (I didnt get it but he was getting all excited). And my 6 year old for some reason wanted to kill lvl 1 flys. He got a kick out of it but im sure all the low lvl players didnt find it to fun.

I never understood why people come on a forum and say how they played all these hours and beat the game and all this. But when did that start to be normal, Me personally if I got to 50 in a few weeks and had done all the "end game" stuff  by now I wouldn't admit it. I just dont get how you guys play so much and are so dedicated to it. From kids, work, house work, family & friends drama, running, and working out. I just log in to relax. Guess im just not pro.

I like this post!

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

One of, if not my biggest gripe about the game is the the lack of gear drops off of monsters.  I understand their reasoning for taking it out because of botting/farming but one of the fun things about these kind of games is that randomness you get from killing mobs and seeing that you got something off of it.  Its exciting.  And its a sense that not everyone has the same stuff.  Right now, every person in the game has the same exact gear and thats pretty lame.  There's absolutely zero uniqueness to your character because everyone is in the same stuff.   Its also very difficult to make money without having any form of drops from mobs and it forces you to craft to make money which 9182398 ppl are currently doing which in return drives prices down.

When I pass mobs out in the world I have zero reason to kill anything other then for fates/quests because nothing drops anything other then crafting materials.  Its sometimes fun to grind on mobs in areas.  Im surprised this game doesnt have any grinding areas how most asian based games do.  Its a fun thing to do to get away from quest grinding and fate grinding.  Another thing that bothers me is how small each zone is.  I know in 1.0 the map was massive and all open but what they did to it in 2.0 by adding invisible walls everywhere and making the zones very boxy feelling to it is just bleh.  There's a few zones here an there that are bigger but for the most part, it feels tiny.

Third,  The beastmen tribe areas should be converted into a group mob area for groups to go and hunt in.  In 1.0 there were named mobs you could go after in there that dropped gear.  I don't like that they have taken out a lot of features where you could go after loot in the open world.  Theyre forcing everything you go after into dungeons which while its fine, it needs more content than just dungeons for groups to go play through.  it needs more variety and I understand its still early in the games life but still, 1.0 had it, why didnt they put it in 2.0.  It seems like it would have been very easy to add.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

This might actually be the worst end game of any modern MMO Ive ever seen ,  trying to think of one worse .

RIFT had 10 dungeons  bosses dropped loot , but daily lock out so you couldn't just farm 1 all day long.

WOW ,  cant really remember that far back but Im pretty sure it had 40 man raids , but I think it lacked in the dungeon department at release for end game .

NeverWinter , free to play , had more end game content .

btw is there a way to automatically skip cut scenes in options ?

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

You have no idea what you're talking about. But way to generalize and lump people together because someone doesn't like what you do! :D

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

You have no idea what you're talking about. But way to generalize and lump people together because someone doesn't like what you do! :D

Check out Hyanmen's posting history especially in the run up to FFXIV 1.0 launch, should help you understand his posts better.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• shellersheller Member Posts: 14

I think you might be more tired of the MMORPG genre that anything else.   I think Extra Credits had it right when they said that most of us on here have already done thousands, in not 10s of thousands, of fedex grind quests.  So as far as current MMO styles out there I would say FF14, and yes I'm not using Roman Numerals because I find them stupid, does an okay job.  You get stuff hand it in and then get a reward. Classic psychology right there you give a dog a treat for doing something, so he keeps doing that same something in hopes of that same reward.  I hate to say it, but until you abandon the ideas of stat related gear and leveling you aren't going to find anything different in MMO's that will be a rewarding experience.  So my personal advice would be; if you're bored then go play something completely different and I mean COMPLETELY different.  Example puddle: a liquid physics game with no multiplayer no quests just get to the end of level goals.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I've been trying to tell people for months, there's no staying power in this game.

It's a fundamental design flaw.

The developer wanted 1-50 to be the tutorial mode, because he's an end game fan. Ok, that's fine; people merc'd the game in a few days/weeks, and now everyone is here. But there isn't an end-game. Essentially, you made super, stupidly easy content that was designed to be burned through, but didn't make enough end-game to actually interest people.

You can run AK... but after you hit you Myth cap, you literally have *nothing* to do.

You can level other crafts... but most people don't want every craft leveled (I have 3 nearly at 50)

You can level other jobs, but who in god's name wants to FATE grind for FUN?!?

And that's exactly why people are burning out en-masse. The developer tailored the game to be ultra-casual, and now that everyone is finishing the meat of the game, there's nothing to do.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Grailer

Unfortunately the dungeons were tier T1 and T2  ,  so it was 5 dungeons I guess .

I wish they considered a similar idea with this game because I really enjoyed running some of the dungeons in FF14  , it would be nice to get a harder mode that had a few extra bosses and harder mechanics .

Did the Devs actually consider that people would get to 50 so fast and become totally bored brain dead of running 1 dungeon 50+ times ?

Did they even want people to sub after the month ?  Im assuming almost everyone has lvl 50 by now .  I guess the real casual players would be reaching 50 soon too .

2 hard modes are already coming in 2.1 (along with a new dungeon).

The game has no recycled dungeons but actual unique dungeons. You simply need to pick your poison because I'm sure there was no bitching about recycled dungeons at lvl50 in Rift ever.

We have also hard data showing that only 15% of the playerbase has hit lvl50 since about a week. Most people have reached somewhere around mid 20's to low 30's.

If only 15-20% of the playerbase has hit L50 so far, then things are not as bad as one would believe if you only ever read these forums.

I'd almost be inclined to mutter about 'the usual suspects', as there always seems to be this crowd who are not here to play the actual MMORPG's, they're just here to 'beat the game' in the shortest possible time after launch, then move on. If that means they can do it in a sub-based game before the sub kicks in, they get bonus points or something...

I know you were kind of joking with this comment but I believe it to be true...

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Cymdai

The developer wanted 1-50 to be the tutorial mode, because he's an end game fan. Ok, that's fine; people merc'd the game in a few days/weeks, and now everyone is here. But there isn't an end-game.

Last week only 15% of total players "were there". Quite a leap in a matter of days.

The game is so much fun, levels are just numbers stacked together. Have fun at level 10, have fun at level 50.

Of course if you're a cynical seen it all MMO veteran you can't help but be miserable until you can grind gears somewhere.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Simsejensen

Recently ive found myself only to login to do "x" amount of Castrum Speedruns, to eventually get some DL armor piece. This is starting to get boring.

Ive done AK runs every day at hitted cap every week. Got my +1 relic weap.

Got every crafting profession there is around level 20.

I just cant find something new to do. I hope its because its a new game and all. Eventually new patches will come, and u can use some time on housing, bla bla bla.

Anyone felt the same?

Good for you, I have lost all magic of waiting for release in about 3 days of gameplay. Incredible sound as usually, environment, .... and that is all about ARR. Well of course IMO, I'm sure there are many die hard fans that will love despite all, but my love have vanished. All that is now left is incredible good memories to FF series and SE from console world (mainly PS2 era).

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Play EQ2 (with free new Heroic characters come October 1st you can jump right into endgame and skip most of the boring solo content), Rift, WoW, even AoC, TSW, or SWTOR all games that I personally feel have better and certainly more content than FFXIV.  Definitely not something you'll likely burn through in a month (with maybe the exception of TSW if you play through it quickly).  Wait for Wildstar to come out and hope that succeeds in holding your interest.  If you aren't interested in playing those games there are always plenty of single or smaller multiplayer games to play.

I wouldn't count on new patches in FFXIV to provide a lot of content.  Probably a new dungeon or so that will still require you to farm other dungeons over and over till you can even attempt it (or require you to farm it to attempt another dungeon).  SE's rate of new content in patches is no where near the level of say Arenanet's with Guild Wars 2.  Considering the state of the game now I wouldn't expect housing to be stellar either, especially considering it can't possibly compete with games who devoted more than a "patch" to housing like Rift and EQ2.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    I am the exact opposite of bored. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yes, because every MMO has only offered one dungeon and focused on gear treadmills? I think everyone gets it, you love the game and want to defend it, but these comments are getting quite comical. I dare say  you have little MMO experience if you're saying stuff like this and actually believe it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by AIMonster

Play EQ2 (with free new Heroic characters come October 1st you can jump right into endgame and skip most of the boring solo content), Rift, WoW, even AoC, TSW, or SWTOR all games that I personally feel have better and certainly more content than FFXIV.  Definitely not something you'll likely burn through in a month (with maybe the exception of TSW if you play through it quickly).  Wait for Wildstar to come out and hope that succeeds in holding your interest.  If you aren't interested in playing those games there are always plenty of single or smaller multiplayer games to play.

I wouldn't count on new patches in FFXIV to provide a lot of content.  Probably a new dungeon or so that will still require you to farm other dungeons over and over till you can even attempt it (or require you to farm it to attempt another dungeon).  SE's rate of new content in patches is no where near the level of say Arenanet's with Guild Wars 2.  Considering the state of the game now I wouldn't expect housing to be stellar either, especially considering it can't possibly compete with games who devoted more than a "patch" to housing like Rift and EQ2.

I'm amazed at how much you know about FF ARR - especially the part how you know how much content SE releases in patches...considering that this NEW dev team hasn't released one yet. Housing hasn't been released yet and you "wouldn't expect it to be stellar either".

Just amazing.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.