Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: September Director's Letter Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom's Joel Bylos has published the latest Age of Conan: Unchained Director's Letter. In it, he discusses the recent server merges and the difficulties encounters. Additionally, he discusses Tradeskills, a new Halloween mission chain and forthcoming dungeons that are now live on the test server.

The single most important part of the Tradeskill system was completed earlier this week, as we finally finished the conversion of the items from the old tool into the new system.

We're talking about items from the dawn of Age of Conan development, created using tools from Anarchy Online, which now work and can be used as valid materials in the Tradeskill system.

With that huge step out of the way, we are busy pushing recipes into the system and testing various combinations to ensure that they work as we hope.

Read more on the Age of Conan: Unchained site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    nice dragon pic  (not being sarcastic)
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

I played AOC back when it came out for a number of months but like everyone else left soon after. I have been playing many different MMO's since, too numerous to mention looking for one that will stick. I decided to give AOC another crack to see the changes and am pleasantly surprised at how polished this game is now.

I have subbed again. All the other games that were missing end game content, AOC has it! I would venture to say that the real game now starts at end game. Tortage is still a chore to get through but once you're out, it's all smooth sailing.

This game is so underrated right now. I love the mature setting, the graphics are still top notch and the soundtrack is the best I have heard in any game. Kudos to Funcom for keeping this game going. I keep thinking about builds, characters and playing in the land of Hyboria whenever I'm not actually playing it.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This game still looks terrific.  I just remember leaving Tortage and losing interest. Add to this my utter lack of interest in Conan story/lore and I decided to drop the game.  Still, great to hear the game is being worked on and updated and people are having fun.  
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    This game is still my favorite place to raid and my fav endgame game. Sounds like the crafting revamp is going to be nice. Crom server is rocking with life and this game is better than ever. I think its one of the most underrated mmorog's of all time. If it launched with what it has now it would easy be top 5 .

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Redcor
    This game is still my favorite place to raid and my fav endgame game. Sounds like the crafting revamp is going to be nice. Crom server is rocking with life and this game is better than ever. I think its one of the most underrated mmorog's of all time. If it launched with what it has now it would easy be top 5 .

I agree, call me a converted fanboi.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I would like to see a Anarchy Online 2. Not sure AoC just loss my interest very quickly after Tortage.
  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

Age of Conan looks awesome in screenshots and on paper... and then you play it.... ugh.

would absolutely love if a competent developer made a Conan 2. this genre still needs another dark, adult, fantasy MMO.

And i completely disagree with people about Tortage... which is a claustrophobic, single player snorefest that defeats the purpose of playing a Massive Multiplayer RPG. The game opens up alot after Tortage. Everytime I leveled up a character, I cringed about going through Tortage again.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    ok guys... you got me. I've been bored out of my mind lately, so bored I went back to wow... well I've been back for a couple of weeks now and I'm bored of it again. I want to try aoc...I played it when it came out and quit soon after... what server is the most populated? any tips for guilds?
    Originally posted by Beastn
    ok guys... you got me. I've been bored out of my mind lately, so bored I went back to wow... well I've been back for a couple of weeks now and I'm bored of it again. I want to try aoc...I played it when it came out and quit soon after... what server is the most populated? any tips for guilds?

Go Crom for PvE but make sure to sub as the F2P option is lacking IMO.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Originally posted by Beastn

Go Crom for PvE but make sure to sub as the F2P option is lacking IMO.

Yep, Crom is the most crowded. But I disagree with the second part, since the revamp f2p is pretty viable for the first (two) characters until the endgame, so it's good for someone who's just curious and wants to try it out.

Guilds won't be a problem, there are announcements all the time in the chat since the merge.

I like that the crafting revamp is getting closer and closer, but my favourite line (as a hoarder) was the: "In order to accommodate the additional demands on items, we are also looking at additional ways to expand player inventories and bank space!"  cool :)  (unless it means additional Store purchases ofc)

• Oh.no.U_OOh.no.U_O Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I had been with this game since its launch and can honestly say its been my favorite game since I first jumped in. Once you get out of tortage it can be a real blast. I loved khopshef province my first go through. I might just have to make a new character so I can play through all the zones I don't get to anymore.  I stopped playing awhile back since the population was kinda lacking but its still there just not so much as before. I'm really hoping the merge can fix that problem for me. I updated the game last night and will definitely be jumping in game today to have some fun. All I can say to anyone that had played it before is I hope you can find the room to give it another chance. alot of people that left before and even multiple times have a bad taste in their mouths which I can understand but the population seems to be the only real problem right now besides a few other smaller things. And for the new people that might play it I hope you can find some enjoyment out of it. The lore from the books are very good and give a great story to the game and once you get to end game its definitely a challenge which is something I love. Everyone has to be listening and doing what theyre supposed to do or it will more then likely fall to nothing. this can be a good thing because its challenging but at the same time very frustrating because alot of people just don't listen and it can really make a difference. either way get ingame and have some fun thats what your playing for anyway.

Currently Playing: Age of Conan

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Nice step forward on the crafting system. I just wish after 2 1/2 years of promises...it would be implemented.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I've never experienced an mmo like AoC that was just made with realism and a fantastic dark and gritty atmosphere. I wish more games had Mature ratings, the only reason I couldn't go back to AoC was because of how dead it was.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Nice step forward on the crafting system. I just wish after 2 1/2 years of promises...it would be implemented.

We all do, it's nearly(tm) here though.  The new GD hasn't made any time promises thus far and is unlikely to. 

It's going to be great :)

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).