Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How to get into the cartoon-style graphics

Comments

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Huntsville, ALPosts: 287Member Uncommon
    I really do wish that the people who are bound and determined to hate the art in EQNext no matter what, would be just as bound and determined to STFU!
  • ArteanArtean GöteborgPosts: 209Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by HighMarshal
    I really do wish that the people who are bound and determined to hate the art in EQNext no matter what, would be just as bound and determined to STFU!

Let me take a wild guess: wont happend. Should they/we? Absolutely not. Would I keep my voice down if, lets say, Slayer where to release "Rap style power ballads"? Nope.

When in doubt, troll.

• daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I never had an issue with it...

But really, if people like Bioshock Infinite, I don't see why they would have an issue with this...the art styles (Elizabeth) are very similar.

I had ... have started with wow only with BC just because on friends computer all looked too childish, they also had pretty low end computers with low end resolution of course ... started wow (under suggestion of few friends) after being disappointed by all the rest or have lost grip in month or so ... and boy, what a discovery! Never played better game, more fun, ... and suddenly realized that I'm not bothered anymore by "cartoony" style ... actually .. can not immagine to play wow without that great style. To be honest ... nearly ALL games have more or less cartoony look ... just could never adapt. I can remember only 1 game that have totally cartoony look and is great, CO. All the rest felt fast very outdated, war, aoc, ....

• SengiSengi HamburgPosts: 350Member
    Originally posted by nisrak

People in these discussions are saying that they hate "cartoony" graphics with no talk about how it relates to this game.  Even if they mean they dont like this type of cartoon, by your analogy that is like saying "I hate all pop music".  I guess that opinion is valid but it's not going to make Katy Perry stop making pop music.

"Up" has extremely stylized art, buts long as it doesn't remind you of The Clone Wars it's fine?

Again I point to the early post of the Ogre models from EQ1.  Quite stylized and rather cartoony, but nothing in EQ1 was short-term fun.  I don't think its fair to make broad gameplay assumptions based on a few glances at the art.

Ok, maybe other people said something like this. I agree with you that this is wrong and they probably haven't thought that trough. As I said I like Disney movies.

A fitting analogy would be if the soundtrack to EQN was Katy Perry. It wouldn't even like it if it was some sort of pop music that I love. That I like something in general doesn't mean I want it in EQN.

No, I had the same complaints if EQN looked like Up. What I wanted to say is that even tough Pixar was taken over by Disney in 2006 its films have a distinctive art style, that is different from the one you see in films done by Disney Animation Studios like Tangled, and they often touch on mature topics like death.

I admit that many things from EQ seem kind of cartoony if you look at them today, but the same is true for games like Quake (1996) and Counter Strike (1999). And those where considered to be very realistic back then. They where even banned in several countries. Back in the day 3D graphics where still very simple and there was nothing that could be called realistic by today's standards.

• donpopukidonpopuki Dearborn, MIPosts: 591Member
    Like the EQN look as opposed to a realistic shit-stain style. Doing animations in a realistic style usually is unconvincing.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,098Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Acclimation.

That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

Playing Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.  It is the perfect example of what EQN is probably going to be: cartoony graphics that people initially hated due to a "Trukk not Munky" mentality, judging it before it even came out, and then loving it and singing its praises after playing it, holding it high in regard as one of the best, if not the best, in the franchise.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ReklawReklaw Am.Posts: 6,478Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Acclimation.

That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

I am a gamer, I already addept when needed, aslong the gameplay is fun and exciting and can go allot of way's. If a game is cartoony and humor aimed at little kids or other feature's aimed at the child mind then I will pass.

Still not sure why we have gamers against certain art style. Of course nothing wrong to have love for a speciic art style and dislike for other art style's.

But it really comes done to the gameplay. And it amazes me to see many "veteran" MMOrpg players being so against the art-style EQN has taken. As the veteran are often the loudest to preach gameplay over graphics.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    [mod edit]
  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10 Acclimation.   That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?
    Playing Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.  It is the perfect example of what EQN is probably going to be: cartoony graphics that people initially hated due to a "Trukk not Munky" mentality, judging it before it even came out, and then loving it and singing its praises after playing it, holding it high in regard as one of the best, if not the best, in the franchise.

for me, if EQN becomes a great MMO it will be despite its cheesy cartoonish art style, not because of it.

i also don't need to know anymore about the game to know i don't care for the cheesy character models, do i? unless they intend to revamp them before launch that is.

Originally posted by donpopuki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmL9cjZAZg

It seems to me you are pulling of a strawman-argument here. Yes, some Battlefield/Call of Duty-Kids act that way. They are driven by the desire to look mature and the fear of being associated with anything that could be seen as childish. But it is wrong to deduce from this that it would be more mature never to do the polar opposite by never criticizing any cartoony art style no matter what, because you don’t want to be associated with those people. Actually this position isn’t much differed from that of the Call of Duty-kid in the video. Both are driven by the fear that they could be considered immature by others. The first one is afraid of being associated with Pokemon and the second one is afraid of being associated with immature payers.

The mature position would be to say what you think no matter what others may think of you.

Of course Pokemon only works with its anime art style. I it had a realistic art style the game world would fall apart, because most pokemon would look really scary and the art style would tell the player that this universe is supposed to make sense in itself. If you think it trough to the end Pokemon is kind of a messed up world where teenagers enslave creatures that have a human level of intelligence to do gladiatorial combat for their enjoyment.

But if Pokemon wouldn’t work with realistic graphics, it could be the opposite for other games. I want Everquest Next to be a game that presents a world that makes sense, and that features mature storytelling that touches on moral questions. The cartoon style completely works against it, because it creates just the same effect as it does in Pokemon. 

Originally posted by Sengi

Of course Pokemon only works with its anime art style. I it had a realistic art style the game world would fall apart, because most pokemon would look really scary and the art style would tell the player that this universe is supposed to make sense in itself. 

Whoo boy are you in for a surprise:

Even with all the realism, Pokemon is still bad@ss and making them look realistic would only make the awesome factor go up to 11.  Claiming that "a game works just due to the art style" is kinda ignorant; it's not the art style. it's the art direction (and the story, and the music, and the game mechanics, and the characters, and just about everything else).

P.S.  This image was found here (http://www.deviantart.com/art/Realistic-Pokemon-Season-1-374441916)

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by nisrak

For its time Everquest didn't look cartoony at all. Gamespot wrote on April 2, 1999:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Cartoony"....

Yep and Rosie, the art director for both EQ1 and EQN has already stated many times that EQ1 was stylised and the decision was not based on graphical limitations at the time. The only difference between EQ1 and EQN is the accentuated limbs (designed to show off detail in armour) and eyes (designed to show off emotion with SoEmote).

If people hate it, thats fine, but EQ1 was not realistic in any way shape or form. EQN artistic design seems to follow on from EQ1 rather than EQ2 (which had strange play-doh faces until they introduced SOGA models, which are cartoony).

Ok, I take it back. I’m not here to defend EQs graphics. Some parts where meant to look funny but non all. You have to consider that here someone purposefully selected the two most goofy faces for the ogre. There also where different ones.

You also ripped the sentence out of context. You should have quoted the whole paragraph. My point was, that in 1999 there was no such thing as realistic or stylizes graphics from a today’s standpoint. Everything was just this angular pile of polygons. If you want to see what realistic and gritty graphics looked back then just look at the ogre from Quake. It looks quite a bit like the ogre from Everquest. This was so scary back then that the german authorities felt compelled to ban it.

I don’t really believe Rosie Rappaport when she says she didn’t felt limited by the fact that she hat to use 300 polygons for the character models and it didn’t impact her artistic decisions at all. But maybe this is true. The models from EQN don’t look any better although the have 30.000 polys. :D

Does EQ2 have the same style as EQ1? They don't look or play the same so why do we expect EQN to be a updated version of EQ1? The established pattern is to do something completely different.

I can understand some people want a dark, gritty, gloomy and realistic EQ. The truth is you may have to wait another 10 years for your ideal version of EQ to come out and it may never come to be. Seriously ESO looks like the game people want, it's dark, gritty and realistic. Your game is coming out. I plan to play both games. Why does every game have to conform to the "realistic" cookie cutter formula? Somehow I can't shake the feeling a lot of this butthurt comes from the console FPS faction. Most FPS games conform to the realistic style and progress in the genre is measured by increased realism not gameplay innovation.
    Does EQ2 have the same style as EQ1? They don't look or play the same so why do we expect EQN to be a updated version of EQ1? The established pattern is to do something completely different.

I can understand some people want a dark, gritty, gloomy and realistic EQ. The truth is you may have to wait another 10 years for your ideal version of EQ to come out and it may never come to be. Seriously ESO looks like the game people want, it's dark, gritty and realistic. Your game is coming out. I plan to play both games. Why does every game have to conform to the "realistic" cookie cutter formula? Somehow I can't shake the feeling a lot of this butthurt comes from the console FPS faction. Most FPS games conform to the realistic style and progress in the genre is measured by increased realism not gameplay innovation.

Dude, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Many games are becoming similar in terms of gameplay (third-person shooter gameplay, health that fully regenerates after avoiding damage for a few seconds, quick time events, etc.), and this is also affecting how people want their graphics.

Dude, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Many games are becoming similar in terms of gameplay (third-person shooter gameplay, health that fully regenerates after avoiding damage for a few seconds, quick time events, etc.), and this is also affecting how people want their graphics.

I actually don’t really care that much for the Everquest franchise and I never played EQ or EQ2. I’m here for the sandbox part. What I’m looking for is more a spiritual successor of Star Wars Galaxies. Your right, this is not EQ3. EQN is only very loosely based on Everquest lore and that's all what connects it to the older games.

I’m all for variety in games. But this isn’t just any game. If there where a ton of new AAA sandboxes coming out this wouldn’t be a problem. As you said, it could be that this is the only chance for a great sandbox for the next 10 years. So this is kind of a make it or break it scenario. You may not care for the vision of a true sandbox mmo, but there are many people who do.

Seriously, you are not telling me to play ESO instead. With the same right I could tell you to go play Wildstar.

And don’t mention the Call of Duty-Crowd again. You know this is a strawmen-argument. And repeating it won’t make it better. I don’t think there are many shooter fans around here.

It seems to me your arguments are driven by your hatred towards EA and Activision. You are associating great graphics with dumped down gameplay. Its true, this was what major developers where doing for many years, they where cranking up the graphics while making the gameplay more casual. Interesting indy-games make a virtue out of necessity and tend to have very simple minimalist graphics.

But this is not the graphics fault; it’s just the fault of the major publishers. It wouldn’t hurt any indy-game to have more money to spend on graphics. Just imagine what Minecraft would have been with the Voxelfarm-engine.

Apart from that the issue isn’t about money. ESOs characters didn’t cost more to make then the ones from EQN.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo LondonPosts: 3,221Member

I actually don’t really care that much for the Everquest franchise and I never played EQ or EQ2. I’m here for the sandbox part. What I’m looking for is more a spiritual successor of Star Wars Galaxies. Your right, this is not EQ3. EQN is only very loosely based on Everquest lore and that's all what connects it to the older games.

I’m all for variety in games. But this isn’t just any game. If there where a ton of new AAA sandboxes coming out this wouldn’t be a problem. As you said, it could be that this is the only chance for a great sandbox for the next 10 years. So this is kind of a make it or break it scenario. You may not care for the vision of a true sandbox mmo, but there are many people who do.

Seriously, you are not telling me to play ESO instead. With the same right I could tell you to go play Wildstar.

And don’t mention the Call of Duty-Crowd again. You know this is a strawmen-argument. And repeating it won’t make it better. I don’t think there are many shooter fans around here.

It seems to me your arguments are driven by your hatred towards EA and Activision. You are associating great graphics with dumped down gameplay. Its true, this was what major developers where doing for many years, they where cranking up the graphics while making the gameplay more casual. Interesting indy-games make a virtue out of necessity and tend to have very simple minimalist graphics.

But this is not the graphics fault; it’s just the fault of the major publishers. It wouldn’t hurt any indy-game to have more money to spend on graphics. Just imagine what Minecraft would have been with the Voxelfarm-engine.

Apart from that the issue isn’t about money. ESOs characters didn’t cost more to make then the ones from EQN.

You should check out The Repopulation?

I...didn't tell you to play ESO or make arguments driven by hatred towards EA and Activison.  I think you are confusing me for someone else.

I only suggested you go play ESO because you seemed to put such a paramount importance on graphics.

Like you Sengi I too want a SWG type AAA sandbox but let's not pretend SWG was perfect. The character models in that game were one of the worst I've seen in any MMO, the code was buggy as hell and there was no content beyond its sandbox elements. Despite its glaring flaws SWG was way ahead of its time in terms of game design and I consider it in the top 3 'mmos I've played.

I simply do not share your view that because EQN will be going with a cartoony style it will be doomed to failure. In fact all evidence points to the contrary. Realistic MMOs don't tend to do very well.

Maybe it's a generational thing but it's seems most older players aren't bothered by the cartoonish style. Probably because we grew up playing games like Mario and Zelda. All games were cartoony back then.

Of course Pokemon only works with its anime art style. I it had a realistic art style the game world would fall apart, because most pokemon would look really scary and the art style would tell the player that this universe is supposed to make sense in itself. 

Even with all the realism, Pokemon is still bad@ss and making them look realistic would only make the awesome factor go up to 11.  Claiming that "a game works just due to the art style" is kinda ignorant; it's not the art style. it's the art direction (and the story, and the music, and the game mechanics, and the characters, and just about everything else).

P.S.  This image was found here (http://www.deviantart.com/art/Realistic-Pokemon-Season-1-374441916)

Yes, this is a nice picture, but I think there is a reason why Team Rocket isn’t in it. While you can never go wrong with awesome looking monsters fighting each other, Pokemon would have been a very different game with this kind of graphics. At least it would have needed a whole different tone, a different story, different characters and even a different title.

You are misunderstanding me. I never said that there is some art style that somehow makes every game great or something like that. I completely agree with you. A video game is like a machine that has many parts tat have to fit together to make the whole thing work, and the art style (or the art direction) is just one of them. But like a machine a game is only as good as its weakest part. If the arts style doesn’t fit it can still spoil the whole game.    

• wowclonezwowclonez Scripps Ranch, CAPosts: 74Member
    Cartoon graphics are used to try to appeal to WOW user base. EQNext looks pretty nice, much better than Wildstar WOW knockoff graphics.

Yes, this is a nice picture, but I think there is a reason why Team Rocket isn’t in it. While you can never go wrong with awesome looking monsters fighting each other, Pokemon would have been a very different game with this kind of graphics. At least it would have needed a whole different tone, a different story, different characters and even a different title.

You are misunderstanding me. I never said that there is some art style that somehow makes every game great or something like that. I completely agree with you. A video game is like a machine that has many parts tat have to fit together to make the whole thing work, and the art style (or the art direction) is just one of them. But like a machine a game is only as good as its weakest part. If the arts style doesn’t fit it can still spoil the whole game.    

You are aware that in the original Japanese version, Team Rocket is an evil organization that will gladly resort to torture to get what they want, and that Jesse, James and Meowth (or whatever their original Japanese names are) are the only people in that entire organization that have a conscious, right?

• nisraknisrak Honolulu, HIPosts: 70Member

The difference is that you are saying SOE should cater to you and completely change their art direction and character models and everyone who likes stylized graphics should play Wildstar.  We are saying if you don't like the art of EQN and want it to be more realistic, play ESO...

I only suggested you go play ESO because you seemed to put such a paramount importance on graphics.

Like you Sengi I too want a SWG type AAA sandbox but let's not pretend SWG was perfect. The character models in that game were one of the worst I've seen in any MMO, the code was buggy as hell and there was no content beyond its sandbox elements. Despite its glaring flaws SWG was way ahead of its time in terms of game design and I consider it in the top 3 'mmos I've played.

I simply do not share your view that because EQN will be going with a cartoony style it will be doomed to failure. In fact all evidence points to the contrary. Realistic MMOs don't tend to do very well.

Maybe it's a generational thing but it's seems most older players aren't bothered by the cartoonish style. Probably because we grew up playing games like Mario and Zelda. All games were cartoony back then.

It is true I made this kind of my duty, someone has to do it. ;) I think I will try out ESO but I don’t think it will capture me for very long since it is basically just a reskinned GW2.

I just can’t get over the fact that they are making a game with such a high potential as EQN and then decided to put something really absurd in it without any reason. When Dave Georgeson showed the Kerra for the first time I honestly thought he was playing it for laughs, and he would go on: “No, this is just a public domain model I pulled from the net that incorporates everything we don’t want EQN to be like. This is what the Kerra actually looks like. …”

I wouldn’t say that SWG looked ugly. It’s true the models weren’t perfect and maybe looked a bit generic but they where what you could expect in 2003.

I’m not calling that much for more realistic graphics as for grittier ones. Of course it would be an equally bad decision to go for hyper realistic graphics. Stylization is a good thing. But why did they use that distinctive Disney-style, it only evokes the worst kinds of associations.

The good thing is that there still could be light at the end of the tunnel. A recent article said that:

• All players will have a simple character avatar (in EQLandmark); a scaled down version of an EverQuest Next avatar.
    • The demo shown in the EQN debut was more of a tech demo; no enemy pathing, some were not fighting back.

They are not panning to have the final player models ready for the release of Landmark. And the ones we have seen so far where probably just prototypes. That would fit the fact that they keep showing us the same 3 characters over and over. It could well be that this part of the game is still in the prototyping phase, and there is nothing set in stone at this point.

If this is true it depends on whether SOE wants to stick to the path they have taken at all cost and whether Rosie Rappaport can overcome her Disney obsession. Considering the development has still over a year to go they at least have the chance to make changes. They must have noticed that the art style was not that well accepted and it won’t help the game.

It wouldn’t take that many changes to move the human mage out of Disney territory. A more detailed facial texture and other changes to the face and the animations should do it. The Kerra on the other hand is broken beyond repair and has to go back to the drawing table.

It wouldn’t surprise me to much if SOE would show us a new video some day and would casually tell us something like: “We made some changes to the player models since you saw them the last time. …”    

• nisraknisrak Honolulu, HIPosts: 70Member

It is true I made this kind of my duty, someone has to do it. ;) I think I will try out ESO but I don’t think it will capture me for very long since it is basically just a reskinned GW2.

Personally, I really dislike elder scrolls graphics in general.  Played Skyrim and just didn't like the monotone grey.  That is one major reason I won't be trying ESO...

I’m not calling that much for more realistic graphics as for grittier ones. Of course it would be an equally bad decision to go for hyper realistic graphics. Stylization is a good thing. But why did they use that distinctive Disney-style, it only evokes the worst kinds of associations.

I'm not sure why Disney evokes the "worst kinds of associations" for you, but I assume that most people don't feel the same.  Sure some Disney and Pixar movies are childish and have some slapstick elements, but for me they evoke light-hearted and fun (though maybe sometimes stupid) associations.  Maybe we should look further into why you have such horrific associations with Disney?

The good thing is that there still could be light at the end of the tunnel. A recent article said that:

• All players will have a simple character avatar (in EQLandmark); a scaled down version of an EverQuest Next avatar.
    • The demo shown in the EQN debut was more of a tech demo; no enemy pathing, some were not fighting back.
    Yes, I definitely agree that EQN is going to have very detailed customization with wide ranges of parameters to get your character to look how you want.  It just wouldn't make sense for them to make a sandbox game where the whole idea is "play your way" and then half-ass the character customization system.  I'd wager that in the final system you can make your character as Disney or non-Disney as you want.