Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Version Control/ Cloud Storage?

GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'm not sure if this is fully a hardware question, or if its just a software question. I am working on developing a game with a small team right now, but we are located around the country. I wanted to see if anyone can shed some light and maybe recommend me something specific we could use to keep our files online and synced up together as well as implement version control.

We have experience with Perforce, but that was provided to us previously and we had nothing to do with setting it up. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if I need to build my own server to run something like this (and if so what that involves), or just purchase/rent some sort of service from a company that will allow me to do what I need? I'm really lost here and would love some input/tips!

Thanks

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    GitHub is becoming popular.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Well, I guess it depends. There's a lot of free options. But "free" is somewhat risky, especially if this has any sort of IP/Copyright issues, you may want to do some else - Google openly admits that the price of using their free services is that they can datamine your materal - and if your trying to protect a Copyright/IP or keep anything exclusive or something, then having your code datamined isn't a good way to start about that.

I would get a static IP somewhere - if one of your ISPs does that great, if not, lease a dedicated linux server (they are cheap virtualized, as low as $20 for a good bit of storage and enough bandwidth for a small team of developers). Set up your own ssh/git repository, and you have the added benefit of being able to use the server for many other things: mail, sql, ftp, web, even as a test platform for game server code if that's the way your game is rolling.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

http://tortoisesvn.net/

Here is a software solution, but you would need to obtain a server (or space) for it.   We used it in a team of about 20.   

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

Thank you all, I'll be checking out all these links today. I appreciate it.

Also, can anyone suggest a place to rent a linux server? Anywhere you have had positive experiences with? Thanks!

GoDaddy or Rackspace are probably the biggest names out there. There are literally hundreds to choose from if you just google it.

I used to have a GoDaddy virtual dedicated server for several years running Fedora that I used for some web hosting and database development, I just recently didn't renew it because all the stuff I was hosting on it kinda went stale and the only thing I was still using it for was as an outbound mail queue. I found a mail-specific service for cheaper, but GoDaddy's VDS service was very good - I think at one point I had over 400+ continuous days uptime.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Skydrive I believe(Microsoft)

Sadly something is crawling in the dark recess of the web!and lack of official security upgrade for the vast majority of software in use today is a mono.oh often new version are avail but they arent supplied by is maker.bottom line?cloud is not mature enough of a technology to actually make of in sensitive secretive situation.
  • RecklooseReckloose Member UncommonPosts: 39

Who you want to host linux, kinda depends on what you're intent is with the server. Like you could find a place to host you a physical machine, or a dedicated virtual machine, but that is typically costly. But, those types of servers usually come with certain guarantees, a set bandwidth, etc etc. (so, if you wanted to run a data holding server, or something with serious processing power). There are lots of options for this, my company personally uses ViaWest, although there are lots of options.

You could also go with total cloud based, like Amazon Cloud. But, the Amazon cloud has this strange pricing structure based on bandwidth consumed/processor consumed/local storage consumed/time of day/etc etc. So, sometimes it's cheaper, and sometimes its not.

You could also host it yourself, depends on location and availability of internet really. Are you in a building with fiber? Or, business class DSL or cable? It's something to think about.

Amazon S3 is geared more toward really high volume stuff, that's why the pricing looks awkward on the surface. If you have, say, an appliance firewall server that you lease out to companies - each client gets their own server. Amazon leases you the disk space you need, and then can dynamically allocate your servers for you: You have 5,000 people sign up today, no problem, they spin up 5,000 copies of your server and your clients happily go about firewalling themselves with your product.

If your just looking at 1 server, or a dozen servers, probably all the way up to several dozen - then S3 is probably a bit to much for you.

If you have a static IP, or are willing to deal with a Dynamic DNS, and your ISP allows you to host your own server (many do not, it's explicitly against the TOS), then you can run your own linux server off a consumer ISP line - sure.

The one thing to be aware of are the different types.

Shared hosting: you and 800+ total strangers all on the same exact server. You get your own account/login, a bit of a quota on the shared disk, and that lets you run a web server, a database server of some type, and maybe some other limited services. You can't see the other accounts and they can't see your stuff, but your all on the same physical machine and operating system, so you have no control over any of the overall server settings or the OS. This is usually really cheap.

Virtual dedicated: you get your own copy of the OS, you can do whatever you wish with your OS. You share the machine with other virtualized OS clients as well, but you have your own independant OS. This isn't too bad price-wise, maybe 2-3x the cost of the shared hosting.

Dedicated hosting: your own OS, on your own machine. This is about 2-3x the cost of virtual dedicated. But your performance is guaranteed and you have full control over the OS. This is just like having your own server at home, except it's on a nice high bandwidth connection with backup power, and you have to call someone if you need to physically hit the reset button.

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

Wow, thanks so much for the advice and information! I think we are looking into a virtual dedicated at this point, just due to the project still being in its somewhat early stages and the more affordable cost.

We may look into upgrading down the line, but for now I think that would be the best bet. I'll check out the companies mentioned, but if anyone else has testimonials of other hosts or suggestions for where is good please let me know still!