Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With or without a healer?

Do you guys think that the healer class should be in MMO games?

I mean it is just common that having a healer class in MMO because it is one of the most important role out of all classes

for PVP and PVE.

However, I played some MMO game that was developed in Korea, there was no healer class and everyone has to heal themself

or their party by using items or special spells.

It was actually very fresh and fun for me.

It wouldn't make sense if the monster in dungeons are like world of warcraft, but in this game, all dungeons can be cleared

without healing class (easy) and PVP was more dinamic.

I would still love to having a healer in MMO games, but it was pretty fun PVPing with no healer :)

Comments

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

It all depends on how fast-paced the game's supposed to be i guess.
    Healers mean you have generally less downtime between fights.
    Even StarTrek and the like have healers, because sitting there recuperating isn't much fun.

On the other hand, if you can do whole dungeons without healers, they're not worth doing OR the game depends on stuff like stealth and killing enemies (and being killed) with just a few hits.

So yeah, i think healers are good for the game.
    How these are implemented though and how dependant the game is on them is a different matter...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by EdinZeko84

Do you guys think that the healer class should be in MMO games?

I mean it is just common that having a healer class in MMO because it is one of the most important role out of all classes

for PVP and PVE.

However, I played some MMO game that was developed in Korea, there was no healer class and everyone has to heal themself

or their party by using items or special spells.

It was actually very fresh and fun for me.

It wouldn't make sense if the monster in dungeons are like world of warcraft, but in this game, all dungeons can be cleared

without healing class (easy) and PVP was more dinamic.

I would still love to having a healer in MMO games, but it was pretty fun PVPing with no healer :)

It all depends on the design of the game. UO, AC, EVE and severeal other games don't have a designated healing class, but do allow both self and targeted healing. MMOs that are more focused around the trinity of tank, dps, healer would  be a project to make work without a complete overhaul of either the classes or mob mechanics.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    I don't think a healer class is necessary, but I do think that inter-dependence amongst players is necessary.  Removing the healer class and allowing everyone to heal themselves can sometimes have the side effect of removing the need for players to act as a team in a group.  Which removes a lot of the fun of grouping.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I don't even play healers any more because, as is the case these days, there's no need to.  Between food, bandages, cheap potions and (in some games like AIon) the /rest function, there's really no downtime anyway.