Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek online

MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102

Is this game even worth picking up and trying? I tried the beta and wasnt to impressed with it but still had some fun.

Whats the general consensus of the game?

I play Eve alot and enjoy it, but its nice to have a different, relaxed, exploration / PvE based game. I guess GW 2 would also fit in there. But I like Space stuff so hit me up peeps - tell me about STO!

Comments

• MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Guess it isnt worth trying...
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Short answer is good action space combat, pretty fun.  Not so exciting land combat.  Tab target.

It  is mission based and the story missions are fun.  It has a good Star Trek feel, nice ship design and all the sounds.

If you are looking for exploration though, not so good I would say.   You travel to diferent sectors and such but much of it is repetitive.

Free to play so not much to lose in trying. Fun for a few months at best IMO or  as a casual play, pick up now and then, game.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Game is very boring, I download SWTOR, and STO just recently and checked the out it has the same crappy character models & customization on both games, and the game doesn't even feel like the actual star-trek.

Ever played the single player game called "StarTrek Bridge Commander?" 

And "StarTrek Elite Force Voyager"  

Or something like this well basically Bridge Commander feels a lot more real In battles than the StarTrek Online does, plus STO is run by Perfect World International a game company that makes a lot of their games either Pay 2 Win, or Pay 2 Enjoy.

If Land Combat in STO were like Elite Force I would be playing it but it isn't.

Also same thing with SWTOR bad character models and graphics, I even looked at PWI's game Never Winter, it uses the same crappy character models as STO.

As a result of poor development on PWI's games and Pay 2 Win/Enjoy aspects I refuse to put cash into any of their games, I am down with PWI for sure as a company I just don't like the way they do things.

Don't get me wrong I Love StarTrek, I enjoy the TV series same thing with SWTOR, but a better company needs to know what they are doing and  develop the games correctly to feel more real, better models and such, If you can't make me believe that my Avatar, or Character is absolutely a Real Human Being, then I am likely not going to play the game, Take Skyrim for example the models were kinda crappy but I can download mods customize my avatar and make it feel a lot more real, even with the default models in Skyrim they look better than both games put together.

I would wait to try out Star Citizen, If you are looking for a space sim, I would say try EVE, but EVE online last patch ruined their game for me. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

It changed a lot after beta, so I'd say it definitely worths a check. F2p model is nice, until the endgame you can play without a dime. The story is good, has a Seasons / episodes format like the show, and there's a Foundry with lots of awesome, player created missions as well. There will be a player created Season, it starts in October I guess, I'm looking forward to it :)

Gameplay-wise it's ok. Wide character creation option both in looks and in builds, with separate space and ground gameplay (movement, combat, gear, etc). On ground you can change between tab-target with hotbar or free-aim shooting.

General consensus - no such thing, some trekkies love it because it has a good Trek feeling, some trekkies hate it because it's not Trek at all :) Same with average players. But since it's free and has a fairly small client, you can easily check it for yourself.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's free... try it out and make your own mind up. All it costs you is time.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Myrradah

Is this game even worth picking up and trying? I tried the beta and wasnt to impressed with it but still had some fun.

Whats the general consensus of the game?

I play Eve alot and enjoy it, but its nice to have a different, relaxed, exploration / PvE based game. I guess GW 2 would also fit in there. But I like Space stuff so hit me up peeps - tell me about STO!

First of you'll have to be willing to put up with arc, pwe's steam clone that runs in the background(wether you're playing sto or not(like steam)) gathering info on what you're up to/doing.  Difference being that arc streams this info rather than just transfering it at certain times.  There are a couple of ways around using arc atm but these won't last.

Second, if you think sto is somewhat eve light then foget it.  There's no real exploration, pvp etc in sto.  What you do is run through the storylines(called episodes) whoch aren't well written and then grind half a dozen or so instances for a year or two(or endlessly repeat the episode content).  Pvp consist of hugely unbalanced arena's and only really done for the dilithium(which u get win or lose).  The exploration in sto consists of going into a small square map just off a main map then pressing the f key when a star spawns to see if there's anything there, if there is this generates a generic combat/scanning instance for you.

Since you tried beta you know what combat is like.  Space where you put phasers on autofire and just turn in circles.  Ground where you point crosshairs at target and hold the left mous button down until they fall over.

If you can put up with arc(or work around it) sto can be fun for a wekk or two until the the novelty wears off, the grind kicks in and certain parts of the community cause you to rage quit.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its has a bad f2p model. They over whelm you with buy  this and buy that. Its completely un balanced with ships you buy in the store. And yes stop bought ships are better than the ships you get ingame and fanboys will try to tell you different.  Like all PW games it has to many different currencies for different things. I played it for a while but got sick of the whole pay to win crap of PW. When PW bought the company it was all over for this game. 
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I've just recently started on the Romulan faction:

The UI seems a little cluttered, the tutorial tries its best to explain everything but overlooks a few things.

Setting up the game to work with the xbox controller was a tedious affair, prepare to be there for a while.

Space combat is plain out fun. Turn the mission difficulty to advanced in order to have any kind of challenge.

Everytime a land-based mission turns up, I cringe. With the controller setup properly and the combat set to "shooter" mode, the land missions become a bit better, but the clunky movement & animations detract a lot of the fun and make them a bore to deal with.

The Star Trek overall theme is nailed right on, especially the sounds during space combat.

Other than few people in sector space, the game does not feel like a mmo at all, more like a multiplayer lobby game. Definitely does not have the complexity and open-ended feel of Eve Online. The story railroads you through content.

The story so far seems ok, I am still relatively low level.

What's up with those Enemy Contact Signals in sector space? I fly up to them and nothing happens.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Those enemy contact's should have a box you can click on to join a fight. But if your to low lvl it might not work. They go off of who's the highest lvl in the instance. If you can't get in it means instant death for you.