Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT in your own MMORPG history?

Comments

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Getting my epic weapon for my coercer in EQII.   Was a lot of fun getting there with my guild mates.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You probably have primarily played the various EQ/WOW clones then.

Even in those raid centric games, you have unique things you can do. For instance, a world first kill on a raid boss, or better, a world first clear of the latest heroic raid, is something that can happen only once.

The hunter epic quest back in vanilla WoW would be a good example of decent gamish accomplishment. Soloing Valley of Death in AC1 with a CLaW mage (Creature, Life and War) without melee defense of course was quite fun too, kept you on your toes during fights that lasted half an hour.

But the greatest accomplishments happen in "real life", not in games. What happens in games is sadly sometimes taken way too seriously by some people, who use it to compensate for what they don't achieve in their life. Nothing you can do in a game compares to even the smallest real life accomplishments.

My computer is better than yours.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by monkey_crusher
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by RudedawgCDN

Quitting.

There is nothing innovative about mmo's.

Their all the same retread of the same stuff.

Real life is so much better.

You must be really desperate person .. I am really sorry for you. Because anyone who needs to prove themself on the forums and act like they are grown up and mature must have really bad real life :(

Funny thing is that it worked. You obviously interpreted it as if he claimed he was better than you. Quitting MMOs are a big achievement. MMOs can be like abusive relationships; expensive, time-consuming, dramatic and pointless.

There are a lot of people out there still playing WoW and still constantly asking for when the next big MMO comes out so that they can leave it, but when it does come out it turns out not to be like WoW. All their memories, achievements and progress doesn't exist there and it scares them to just leave behind all that time and money they invested in WoW. Same goes for most MMOs and there are a lot of people who are having a hard time quitting them.

Real life is better. Maybe not always but it is. A lot of people play games to escape the real world either when it is boring or when it is too hard in the same way alcoholics drink. Sure, they're having fun but the moment it turns into something you just do it isn't really fun anymore. It takes a lot of work to make your own life fun.

So, ask yourself this;

Would your comment be any different if the thread was named "What's your greatest drinking story?" and he had answered "Quitting. Life is so much better without it."

Playing games is part of life :S

"Quitting. Life is so much better without it." Would be an equally rubbish response in a thread about drinking stories.

I think you missed my point. Being addicted to alcohol and quitting is a massive achievement to those people. To call them out on it and heckling them is just childish. Same goes for MMOholics.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I don't see anything i have done in mmo's as an accomplishment. Just like i don't feel accomplished after watching a movie, it's just a source of entertainment.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Ppiper

agreed. Having two kids both with Master's Degrees and having good jobs is mine. 

I would say that those are more your kid's accomplishments than yours... ;-)

My computer is better than yours.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Quitting.

You must be really desperate person .. I am really sorry for you. Because anyone who needs to prove themself on the forums and act like they are grown up and mature must have really bad real life :(

The fact that he's on these forums shows his post is BS.  He really did quit why would he be here?  He is trolling or he is a very sad case indeed.

• monkey_crushermonkey_crusher Member Posts: 41

Quitting.

Funny thing is that it worked. You obviously interpreted it as if he claimed he was better than you. Quitting MMOs are a big achievement. MMOs can be like abusive relationships; expensive, time-consuming, dramatic and pointless.

There are a lot of people out there still playing WoW and still constantly asking for when the next big MMO comes out so that they can leave it, but when it does come out it turns out not to be like WoW. All their memories, achievements and progress doesn't exist there and it scares them to just leave behind all that time and money they invested in WoW. Same goes for most MMOs and there are a lot of people who are having a hard time quitting them.

Real life is better. Maybe not always but it is. A lot of people play games to escape the real world either when it is boring or when it is too hard in the same way alcoholics drink. Sure, they're having fun but the moment it turns into something you just do it isn't really fun anymore. It takes a lot of work to make your own life fun.

So, ask yourself this;

Would your comment be any different if the thread was named "What's your greatest drinking story?" and he had answered "Quitting. Life is so much better without it."

Playing games is part of life :S

"Quitting. Life is so much better without it." Would be an equally rubbish response in a thread about drinking stories.

I think you missed my point. Being addicted to alcohol and quitting is a massive achievement to those people. To call them out on it and heckling them is just childish. Same goes for MMOholics.

I got your point, and of course it's a massive achievement for them. But posting about it in a thread designed (presumably) for drunken highjinks seems misplaced and self righteous.  If you quit drink or MMOs or anything then by all means post in a thread designed for that purpose or create one yourself.

Besides, rudedawg may not of been an addict. Rudedawg?

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Helleri

I have helped a lot of newbs. I know that may not sound like a real accomplishment. But, in 12 years of runescape...to this day people still message me out of the blue and thank me for helping to get them started. several of them were ready to quit when I found them...

And, one of them, years after I had helped him get started out in the game messaged me to tell me, that I saved his life. I guess when I had found him wandering around the, then newcomer City of Lumbridge, he was in a bad way of things. His parents were getting divorced. And, the father actually blamed him for it to his face. He had a bully beating on him after school, and no friends. He had decided to try the game out, and a few people were flat out vicious towards him when he asked for help. He was about ready to log, and was going to attempt suicide. And, I guess I was loitering around Lumbridge (as I often do) and gave him a hand getting started.

I didn't make friends with him or anything. I tend to stay in contact with people on games only as long as they actively talk to me. My friends list tends to fill up fast so I drop people I don't talk to off of it weekly (accept for a few really old friends, and my clan's leaders). But, I guess helping him get started was enough. He ended up making his own friends not long after as he told it, ended up getting into one of the really good PvP clans from back then too and had an over all good runescape career.

I was a bit puzzled over why after all that time he had chose to message me (at least to the ends that he chose to massage me and talk about all that stuff). Turns out he was quitting the game. Got him self a fiance with a kid on the way irl and had capped out with no time to really play anymore. He gave me 100mil (a lot of money in-game then). And, I never heard from him again. Kinda messed up cause I don't even remember his screen name (this is going back about 6-7 years in memory). But, I did get myself some shiny new armor with a nice chunk of that money and used the rest to throw the biggest drop party I had thrown up until then or since.

Now, I have always been a little too lazy in gaming to accomplish anything huge stat wise. But, I have made a lot of peoples day. And, one time as it turned out, I helped save a life (granted I had no clue of the gravity of the situation at the time I was just doing what I usually do)...That makes me feel accomplished.

wow thats awesome, this goes to show there are some good people who play games online.

you sir have the best accomplishment by far

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Quitting.

I applauded at this.  The moment you consider an mmorpg an accomplishment, ask yourself what was going on in your life that you neglected.  How was your relationship life?  What education were you pursuing?  What were you doing to level up "in real life?"

Gaming is a great escape.  But the only folks that I feel deserve to state that what they are doing is a measurable accomplishment, are the disabled, or folks who are dealing with various struggles in their life.  In other words, if mmorpg'ing is the one positive outlet someone has, then by all means pursue it.  I read once that Robin Williams used online gaming to deal with his addiction to cocaine.  He beat the habit.  That there, is an accomplishment.

Keep gaming - I know I will.  But measure it in very small amounts versus the real accomplishments that come with every day life.

Originally posted by MMObro
    Originally posted by Helleri

I have helped a lot of newbs. I know that may not sound like a real accomplishment. But, in 12 years of runescape...to this day people still message me out of the blue and thank me for helping to get them started. several of them were ready to quit when I found them...

And, one of them, years after I had helped him get started out in the game messaged me to tell me, that I saved his life. I guess when I had found him wandering around the, then newcomer City of Lumbridge, he was in a bad way of things. His parents were getting divorced. And, the father actually blamed him for it to his face. He had a bully beating on him after school, and no friends. He had decided to try the game out, and a few people were flat out vicious towards him when he asked for help. He was about ready to log, and was going to attempt suicide. And, I guess I was loitering around Lumbridge (as I often do) and gave him a hand getting started.

I didn't make friends with him or anything. I tend to stay in contact with people on games only as long as they actively talk to me. My friends list tends to fill up fast so I drop people I don't talk to off of it weekly (accept for a few really old friends, and my clan's leaders). But, I guess helping him get started was enough. He ended up making his own friends not long after as he told it, ended up getting into one of the really good PvP clans from back then too and had an over all good runescape career.

I was a bit puzzled over why after all that time he had chose to message me (at least to the ends that he chose to massage me and talk about all that stuff). Turns out he was quitting the game. Got him self a fiance with a kid on the way irl and had capped out with no time to really play anymore. He gave me 100mil (a lot of money in-game then). And, I never heard from him again. Kinda messed up cause I don't even remember his screen name (this is going back about 6-7 years in memory). But, I did get myself some shiny new armor with a nice chunk of that money and used the rest to throw the biggest drop party I had thrown up until then or since.

Now, I have always been a little too lazy in gaming to accomplish anything huge stat wise. But, I have made a lot of peoples day. And, one time as it turned out, I helped save a life (granted I had no clue of the gravity of the situation at the time I was just doing what I usually do)...That makes me feel accomplished.

wow thats awesome, this goes to show there are some good people who play games online.

you sir have the best accomplishment by far

This is very good :) 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Easy one here. 

The first time I reached 1800 in WoW. We went on to 2400 with a drain cleave team. Disc Priest, Resto Shammy, and me the Affliction Lock. 

Winning the Tangmen School Tournament in Age of Wushu, and then being voted  by the players to be Tangmen Head Master. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Comaf

Quitting.

I applauded at this.  The moment you consider an mmorpg an accomplishment, ask yourself what was going on in your life that you neglected.  How was your relationship life?  What education were you pursuing?  What were you doing to level up "in real life?"

Gaming is a great escape.  But the only folks that I feel deserve to state that what they are doing is a measurable accomplishment, are the disabled, or folks who are dealing with various struggles in their life.  In other words, if mmorpg'ing is the one positive outlet someone has, then by all means pursue it.  I read once that Robin Williams used online gaming to deal with his addiction to cocaine.  He beat the habit.  That there, is an accomplishment.

Keep gaming - I know I will.  But measure it in very small amounts versus the real accomplishments that come with every day life.

Embarrassing.

OP didn't state any comparison of 'accomplishments' in MMOs to that in 'real life'. No way to gauge how he/she defines either. They stated their terms obviously enough.

You don't define other peoples accomplishments. That's up to them. But congrats, you have accomplished massive levels of patronising. In REAL LIFE. Kudos.

"HEY DISABLED PEOPLE, YOU CANT 'ACCOMPLISH' WHAT WE ABLE-BODIED CAN, PLAY THIS MMO"

Embarrassing.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I guess the closest thing would be killing my first Jedi bounty in SWG.  I can't remember what my class mix was at the time other than enough BH to take the missions and some Rifleman because I did a killing blow at range.  It was a big deal to me becuase I had spent several days tracking various Jedi to only lose them to buggy tracking droids or to find them locked in their houses doing afk macroing.  So when I found this Jedi out in some Tusken Raider fortress thing out deep in Tatooine actually playing the game and killing stuff, I just simply opened up on from the most extreme range I could get with the rifle and dropped him and KB'ed all within a matter of seconds.  He must have been a fairly new Jedi to drop so easily.  Also there was no way to tell how strong the Jedi were back then unless you recognized their name.  However, it was still a great feeling after all those failed attempts and grinding to get my spec to where I wanted it so I could kill player Jedi.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Embarrassing. 

Well said...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Quitting.

Embarrassing.

OP didn't state any comparison of 'accomplishments' in MMOs to that in 'real life'. No way to gauge how he/she defines either. They stated their terms obviously enough.

You don't define other peoples accomplishments. That's up to them. But congrats, you have accomplished massive levels of patronising. In REAL LIFE. Kudos.

"HEY DISABLED PEOPLE, YOU CANT 'ACCOMPLISH' WHAT WE ABLE-BODIED CAN, PLAY THIS MMO"

Embarrassing.

Like the poster above me...well said.

An accomplishment doesn't have to mean the greatest thing you've ever done. All it means is that you set a goal and you reached it. Your greatest accomplishment in a game probably shouldn't be your greatest accomplishment in life but it can be meaningful to you.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    My greatest was actually getting a high level toon in Lineage 2.  Never thought that I would do it.
  • SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Alasti

I have had many, many accomplishments in my MMORPG history, but I cannot think of any that would eclipse this:

Getting level 50 in Everquest (when it first came out many years ago).  It was NOT guaranteed to get there (like so many games now) and it took my many, many months.

What is your greatest accomplishment?

I had level 50 in Everquest in my mind instantly after reading the title of the thread.  Not only that, but I was the first maxed gnome warrior on my server. 

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

I got your point, and of course it's a massive achievement for them. But posting about it in a thread designed (presumably) for drunken highjinks seems misplaced and self righteous.  If you quit drink or MMOs or anything then by all means post in a thread designed for that purpose or create one yourself.

He might have been self-righteous. But all this has shown is the insecurity of both Dogblaster and Rudedawg. If Dogblaster felt targeted by a random comment on an open forum he obviously has some issues with either leaving MMOs or his life outside the virtual worlds.

Maybe it would be wiser to not defend Dogblaster for his insecurities and just politely comment on Rudedawg post that it is out of place?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I have several server firsts and possibly even a world first (with a particular class) first to max level achievements in MMOs, but honestly I don't feel like these are my greatest accomplishments.  If I had to choose one, I'd say the farming party we had in Everquest.  We were a single group of 3 people each dual boxing that had several valuable lower end raid spawns on lockdown on our server and we made a small fortune selling the items and platinum through RMT.  Back then there weren't many if any bots / gold farmers so things sold via RMT were very valuable.  Selling the items and later my accounts I basically paid for college including apartment expenses and furniture. 

By PoP our farming rotation looked something like this:

Lodizal (easily doable with a single dual boxed character)

Zlandicar

Wuoshi

An Acidic Mass

A Horror Construct

The Insanity Crawler

Trakanon

Nagafen (Mainly for bag and CoF)

There were a few more in Luclin, but I don't remember their names.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

#1: Ive played Dark Age of Camelot on Andred, Mordred (FFA PVP Servers). Probably best mmo times in 15y.

#2: 1st Lvl 60 Samurai on Bismarck server in FFXI. 

#3: 1st lvl 50 in World of Warcraft in my country (had some screenshots in some magazines, local ones).

#4: Server 1st for 5 months in SWTOR, rank wise. 

#5: 15y of mmo experience and more to come :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Mortemia

The sad thing with mmorpgs is that there isn't anything unique you can do, that would make you stand out of the rest.

Which doesn't stop millions upon millions of gamers from living a desperate, continuous bid for e-fame.

Feeding off all of the inferiority/superiority complexes, the status drives, the Type-A's, encouraging special snowflake; the seedier side of gaming development.

My five minutes: a server first LK, and a statue (not even dedicated) in Dalaran. Yay, we're famous in our tiny corner...whattya mean, "who am I"? Look, I'm wearing the trophy gear (at least until the next raid gets added).

The five minutes before that; I was a performing bard, original compositions, annual bardfest that still takes place today. Melghoren's Reach. I put the moons in the sky. Head of critter design, worked Events for a while. The fun I had tormenting Players touring my Office segment once a year. Designing some Unique scripted items that eventually became some of the most valuable in the RMT trade...ambivalent about that one, toys were cool, their eventual fate (lockered, hoarded, traded for Ca$h) was not. I spent a couple of months designing and building a puzzle-based quest that survived a whopping six hours (before the 'walkthrough' solutions appeared on the internet).

I think most staff are proud of some of the things they have done, and ambivalent about others. Can't always control what the players do with the neat things you put together for them, or how they react.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Having the courage to post on the MMORPG.com forums... one of the most high level zones on the Internet. It's impossible to dump aggro around here.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Quitting.

Embarrassing.

Embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is you didn't understand the post.  Perhaps you personalized this to your own sense of alleged mmorpg accomplishments and didn't have enough processing power to get that I merely stated that "so called regular folk" should be leveling in real life, not using an mmorpg to gauge accomplishments.  However, I didn't want to seclude people with disabilities, since I have a few friends in that boat (one has severe PTSD from time overseas in the army)....I defended their right to state somethign online could be an accomplishment.

So yes...embarrassing is a good way to express your perception here.

Originally posted by NaughtyP
    Having the courage to post on the MMORPG.com forums... one of the most high level zones on the Internet. It's impossible to dump aggro around here.

YES! lol.

He might have been self-righteous. But all this has shown is the insecurity of both Dogblaster and Rudedawg. If Dogblaster felt targeted by a random comment on an open forum he obviously has some issues with either leaving MMOs or his life outside the virtual worlds.

Maybe it would be wiser to not defend Dogblaster for his insecurities and just politely comment on Rudedawg post that it is out of place?

I feel like you can't read. (Maybe English is not your first tongue, I honestly don't mean this to patronize)

Neither dogblaster or rudedawg (I can't believe I'm typing this) has shown insecurity.  Rudedawg's (really?)  post was out of place, and egotistical in its design to shift focus of the thread to...I don't know. The expression troll has been used in lesser circumstance.

RE: Dogblaster  "he obviously has some issues with either leaving MMO's or his life outside the virtual worlds."  Conjecture. Completely. Nothing he said could allude, never-mind justify this.

So no it wouldn't be wiser to defend Dogblaster for his insecurities (for they don't exist to my knowledge), And Re: Rudedawg, A) His post was riciculous and SO out of place that rehabilitation isn't an answer and B) His name is rudedawg