Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT in your own MMORPG history?

AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287

I have had many, many accomplishments in my MMORPG history, but I cannot think of any that would eclipse this:

Getting level 50 in Everquest (when it first came out many years ago).  It was NOT guaranteed to get there (like so many games now) and it took my many, many months.

What is your greatest accomplishment?

Comments

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Quitting.

There is nothing innovative about mmo's.

Their all the same retread of the same stuff.

Real life is so much better.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Starting a massive zone wide PvP battle in EQ. Lasted for days and it ended with me honor dueling an Ogre and winning.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Being apart the tier 2  world first raid clears in Age Of Conan.

The bleeding edge of content is always a shit ton of fun, having no strats or guides to rely on makes content so much more rewarding when your the first one to loot a boss in the world.

• monkey_crushermonkey_crusher Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by RudedawgCDN

Quitting.

Edgy.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Quitting.

You must be really desperate person .. I am really sorry for you. Because anyone who needs to prove themself on the forums and act like they are grown up and mature must have really bad real life :(

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

EVE-Online in order:

1) Pulling a rag tag fleet's ass out of a logon capital trap (back in 08).

2) Making a good amount of friends, some that transcend the game.

3) Becoming self sufficient (a PLEXer).

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

The sad thing with mmorpgs is that there isn't anything unique you can do, that would make you stand out of the rest. Personally I don't take it as an accomplishment if I reach top level or get that one nice raid gear full. To me it feels like you are still 'just another guy'.

My greatest (gaming) accomplishment would be in Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world server, where I single handedly took down three pretty high level players from evil guard faction when they were about to attack a solo drow from Underdark. Of course drows were counted there as more of a threat than surface races, but it just felt good to side with the underdog, even if I were banished from capital city after that. It still opened me new doors to work with the Underdark players, which would otherwise be quite hard and deadly.

I know, NWN2 isn't actually an mmorpg since servers usually can hold max 70-80 players at a time - but the stories there are much more real and you can't do stuff like that in general quest grinding mmorpgs. (which is a shame)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Becoming a very well know crafter on the server I was on together with my guild. Getting custom orders. Having several stores around the galaxie that became well known. Overall becoming this unique person in a more virtual world.

I am talking Star Wars Galaxies of course, no game has ever came close.

And people who can not feel accomplishments in a game or MMORPG are not able to think with a gamers mind as they try to reflect it with real life and are unknown with hobby desire's.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Self placing a Large Keep in Ultima Online while guild mates and I fought off people trying to kill us...

followed by...

Self placing an 18x18 plot in Ultima Online at an IDOC while competing with at least a dozen other people for it.

Except for maybe end game raiding a really tough boss or really good open world pvp I've never felt a rush or sense of accomplishment quite like that.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mortemia

The sad thing with mmorpgs is that there isn't anything unique you can do, that would make you stand out of the rest.

You probably have primarily played the various EQ/WOW clones then. Ultima Online, EVE Online, SWG, Project Entropia... hell, even Puzzle Pirates... all have lots of players that stnad out or have gained fame for their unique roles, but that is because they have content that allows people to branch off and specialize in something other than just killing everything in their path.

In most themepark-focused  MMOs, you are the center of the story and the progression system. Since everyone is on the same path, and no other viable paths really exist, the only way to be unique is to be the first to kill things or the highest person that is killing things.

In most sandbox-focused MMOs, you are part of a world environment that doesn't revolve around you, and that world functions because there are many people doing the various tasks that make it an engaging world. This leaves opportunities open for players to carve a niche, build an empire, corner a market, etc. Not only does the gameplay support the ability to do unique things and stand out, but the inevitable emergent gameplay resultant from such an environment allows the creative, clever and ambitious to discover new ways to stand out within the game world, using the given mechanics.

Try some of the MMOs that are in Larsa's thread and see if any of them give you a different impression of MMOs.

As to the topic of the thread, I'd say that the greatest feeling of accomplishment I've had in an MMO would be completing a crafted weapon in Asheron's Call. My composite bow and bandit dagger were the result of rather challenging and epic adventures at the time. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Realizing the "accomplishments" in pve video games are illusions, and don't take them too seriously.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

LOTRO

On a roleplaying server I had a character, hobbit named Archibold "The Rooster"

There was an achievement cloak with rooster insignia painted on it, and special "chicken" emote. To get it , you needed to pass the way from Hobitton to Rivendell transformed into a chicken with 1 hp. If you get aggro and die, you need to do this again. And you can also not communicate with nobody except with chicken sounds.

It took me many tries of this journey that takes almost 3 hours, but on the end i managed to reach Rivendell as a chicken thanks to few chicken loving players that protected me from trolls and similar enemies.

But on the end, my character Archibold "The Rooster" was the only one on the server that had such cloak :)

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Quitting.

You must be really desperate person .. I am really sorry for you. Because anyone who needs to prove themself on the forums and act like they are grown up and mature must have really bad real life :(

Funny thing is that it worked. You obviously interpreted it as if he claimed he was better than you. Quitting MMOs are a big achievement. MMOs can be like abusive relationships; expensive, time-consuming, dramatic and pointless.

There are a lot of people out there still playing WoW and still constantly asking for when the next big MMO comes out so that they can leave it, but when it does come out it turns out not to be like WoW. All their memories, achievements and progress doesn't exist there and it scares them to just leave behind all that time and money they invested in WoW. Same goes for most MMOs and there are a lot of people who are having a hard time quitting them.

Real life is better. Maybe not always but it is. A lot of people play games to escape the real world either when it is boring or when it is too hard in the same way alcoholics drink. Sure, they're having fun but the moment it turns into something you just do it isn't really fun anymore. It takes a lot of work to make your own life fun.

So, ask yourself this;

Would your comment be any different if the thread was named "What's your greatest drinking story?" and he had answered "Quitting. Life is so much better without it."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

LOTRO

On a roleplaying server I had a character, hobbit named Archibold "The Rooster"

There was an achievement cloak with rooster insignia painted on it, and special "chicken" emote. To get it , you needed to pass the way from Hobitton to Rivendell transformed into a chicken with 1 hp. If you get aggro and die, you need to do this again. And you can also not communicate with nobody except with chicken sounds.

It took me many tries of this journey that takes almost 3 hours, but on the end i managed to reach Rivendell as a chicken thanks to few chicken loving players that protected me from trolls and similar enemies.

But on the end, my character Archibold "The Rooster" was the only one on the server that had such cloak :)

That's actually pretty cool, man. :)  Congrats!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Alasti
    I have had many, many accomplishments in my MMORPG history, but I cannot think of any that would eclipse this:

In response to the above i have to agree with

Originally posted by Mortemia
    The sad thing with mmorpgs is that there isn't anything unique you can do, that would make you stand out of the rest. Personally I don't take it as an accomplishment if I reach top level or get that one nice raid gear full. To me it feels like you are still 'just another guy'.

Even though reaching max level in EQ was an "achievement" in itself, taking several years for me on my first char, that wasn't much of one, since other players were there faster, better, whatever.
    And gear is outdated these days with each new expansion basically, back then with every other expansion, so again not much of an achievement especially since you had to rely on others to get that.

The real accomlishments for me were:
    (successfully) leading my guild after a few hurting split-ups and an alliance for several years.
    As well as becoming a trusted and valued member in the "open raid community".

On a more personal level, it was playing (boxing) two chars with the same or greater efficiency on raids than some or rather most "raiders" i encountered later in my "career".

Making more friends than enemies in the games i played so far.

Those are what i, looking back, feel are my "greatest accomplishments" in my MMORPG history.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I have two, which are probably nothing big to most but were special to me at the time. Both are from EQ.

1) A couple of months of camping and fighting in Ssrasheva (sp?) Temple until our guild got all the keys, ores and weapons we needed to create bane weapons to fight the Emperor. Finally we went in to attempt it, wiped twice, then the third and final try for the night we tried a different tactics - just a test - but it ended up in the Emperor falling and our guild claiming the server first for the kill. I was so happy when he dropped I leapt out of my chair! All that time and effort and we finally got him.

2) The second is a personal achievement. Back before all the expansions that made Trakanon a simple kill, I had to go in as the single monk to learn how to pull the mobs from his cavern without aggroing him and wiping the raid. Much sneaky movement and feign death ensued, but I finally worked out the different mobs paths and aggro points and cleared the entire cavern with only one minor jump from the dragon. After that I wrote a 'how-to' on Monkly Business so all my other monk friends knew how to do it too.

And those two are my most memorable moments.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

4 years of camping and competing against claim bots and many unsavory individuals finally rewarded me with the body/chest piece in FFXI.  It was more of a huge weight being lifted off than a feeling of accomplishment but it still meant a lot at the time.  I couldn't imagine that kind of wait for any gear today.  It's more depressing than anything looking back now at how terrible the entire endgame system was.

• AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235

Becoming the single best Weaponsmith on the Ahazi server during the height of SWGs hey-day, well before the NGE/CU. I remember when I announced I was going to quit, someone offered me US$5k for my account. I should have taken it, but couldnt bring myself to give my character away.

I would log in to walls of spam from people wanting custom made jobs. My shop in New Roseholme was packed every day. I had a harvester field (thanks to cross server placings) of around 40 large harvesters, it took an hour and half to fill them with fuel and money to keep them running for a week.

I was making anywhere from 50-100mil per day. Yes, I sold a lot of that to IGE (I think) for anywhere from $10-15/mil depending on demand. Crazy times.

Rest in peace Az'

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I have helped a lot of newbs. I know that may not sound like a real accomplishment. But, in 12 years of runescape...to this day people still message me out of the blue and thank me for helping to get them started. several of them were ready to quit when I found them...

And, one of them, years after I had helped him get started out in the game messaged me to tell me, that I saved his life. I guess when I had found him wandering around the, then newcomer City of Lumbridge, he was in a bad way of things. His parents were getting divorced. And, the father actually blamed him for it to his face. He had a bully beating on him after school, and no friends. He had decided to try the game out, and a few people were flat out vicious towards him when he asked for help. He was about ready to log, and was going to attempt suicide. And, I guess I was loitering around Lumbridge (as I often do) and gave him a hand getting started.

I didn't make friends with him or anything. I tend to stay in contact with people on games only as long as they actively talk to me. My friends list tends to fill up fast so I drop people I don't talk to off of it weekly (accept for a few really old friends, and my clan's leaders). But, I guess helping him get started was enough. He ended up making his own friends not long after as he told it, ended up getting into one of the really good PvP clans from back then too and had an over all good runescape career.

I was a bit puzzled over why after all that time he had chose to message me (at least to the ends that he chose to massage me and talk about all that stuff). Turns out he was quitting the game. Got him self a fiance with a kid on the way irl and had capped out with no time to really play anymore. He gave me 100mil (a lot of money in-game then). And, I never heard from him again. Kinda messed up cause I don't even remember his screen name (this is going back about 6-7 years in memory). But, I did get myself some shiny new armor with a nice chunk of that money and used the rest to throw the biggest drop party I had thrown up until then or since.

Now, I have always been a little too lazy in gaming to accomplish anything huge stat wise. But, I have made a lot of peoples day. And, one time as it turned out, I helped save a life (granted I had no clue of the gravity of the situation at the time I was just doing what I usually do)...That makes me feel accomplished.

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Becoming one of the best players of my server, join a great guild, rise to one of its leaders, guided it through good and troubled times, made a lot of friends and was a part of moments i will always remember.
  • manio22manio22 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Illidan down...my victory cries echoes in the neighborhood until today....

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    --Voltaire

• hakiredhakired Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 30

2400 Rated Rogue in 3v3 Arena in WoW

At the premiere battlegroup Bloodlust AKA BG 9

Which was rank 28th Rogue in a game of 10 million people.

• monkey_crushermonkey_crusher Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Quitting.

Funny thing is that it worked. You obviously interpreted it as if he claimed he was better than you. Quitting MMOs are a big achievement. MMOs can be like abusive relationships; expensive, time-consuming, dramatic and pointless.

There are a lot of people out there still playing WoW and still constantly asking for when the next big MMO comes out so that they can leave it, but when it does come out it turns out not to be like WoW. All their memories, achievements and progress doesn't exist there and it scares them to just leave behind all that time and money they invested in WoW. Same goes for most MMOs and there are a lot of people who are having a hard time quitting them.

Real life is better. Maybe not always but it is. A lot of people play games to escape the real world either when it is boring or when it is too hard in the same way alcoholics drink. Sure, they're having fun but the moment it turns into something you just do it isn't really fun anymore. It takes a lot of work to make your own life fun.

So, ask yourself this;

Would your comment be any different if the thread was named "What's your greatest drinking story?" and he had answered "Quitting. Life is so much better without it."

Playing games is part of life :S

"Quitting. Life is so much better without it." Would be an equally rubbish response in a thread about drinking stories.

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Becoming pre-cu Jedi, and first Ragnaros kill.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

having a good server reputation back in the early years of EQ1

unfortunately rep doesn't hold as much meaning anymore