Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 38 Studios' IP Auction Coming in November

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

38 Studios' intellectual properties will be going up for auction on November 14-15, 2013. Curt Schilling's former studio went bankrupt last year and caused a sensation in the industry for defaulting on state-authorized loans from Rhode Island. Winners will receive rights to the Amalur universe including Project Copernicus and the rights to sequels of Kingdoms of Amalur.

• Intellectual property rights in the “Amalur” fantasy universe including:

• “Project Copernicus” an in development Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) including a 10,000 year world history, completed character “races” and playable “zones”

• Sequel rights to the critically acclaimed “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning”, including development concepts, game artwork and designs.

• Merchandise rights and revenue streams associated with the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC title “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning”

• Intellectual property rights in Big Huge Games’ properties including the classic PC strategy title “Rise of Nations” as well as “Rise of Legends” and the Xbox Live Arcade title “Catan”.

• In house developed video game technology including the “Big Huge Games Engine” and the 38 Studios’ gaming, social media and development platform codenamed “Helios”

Check out the 38 Studios auction site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jtobscurejtobscure Member Posts: 4
    A typo note: It's "Curt" with a C.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Lets hope that EA/BioWare will not get the rights of these IPs... Personally I hope Eidos or SquareEnix will get them.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Man i love  KoA, 7/10, but still, DAT GAMEPLAY, come on big devs!!!

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i bet EA gets it it -- they are already publishing KOA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms_of_Amalur:_Reckoning

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    And the company that wins it will make an iPhone game using it. That's my prediction, anyways.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Lore was KoA's only great part. I guess the IP may be worth it, even though the game itself was the definition of mediocrity.
  • demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63

Compared to games even today , amalur had rich lore , interesting characters (very very interesting to me), gameplay and combat was superb with amazing combos class mixes and extra details like fate cards . The combat system as character animation , weapon attacks and movement and combos w as pretty much awesome sadly very few games can pull this off . The score of 7 out of 10 is pretty much nonsense i would give it 9 out of 10 because of rich lore , unique graphics for it own world , epic combat and combo system , not to speak of fate shits those were EPIC and so many !The only issue i had with the game is the lack of exploration in persona of the characters like  Alyn Shir and the too many side quests which hindered most peoples interest in the game , but given they made 1 epic main quest in a huge huge world +6-7 faction quests which were probably just as big and 2 dlcs , which for a fact were huge huge huge areas with tons of quests and lore , OH THE LORE STONES LOVE THEM.

Game is rich on every aspect of what you can want in a game crafting , combat , combos , spells and all kinds of interesting stuff. Even if EA buys it lets hope with the new CEO they have a head on their shoulders and can start doing the right things and not put more dust on their grave.

I hope all for the best and  i hope we see Project Copernicus become the best big mmorpg

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I hope a good developer picks it up. Amalur was one of the better universes that I have played in. Would make a great MMO. 
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I loved KOA. The combat, animation, music, world, and lore were awesome. I would definitely buy another Amalur game. In my opinion KOA just needed a couple of patches to achieve true greatness. They never got a chance to do that, the company tanked too soon. The loot system was kind of broken. I bought some armor from a vendor fairly early in the game and never did find much that was better than what I had bought. So I kept the same armor most of the game. It's a shame things turned out how they did. Copernicus looked amazing visually from what I saw, although it was too early to tell how the gameplay was going to be. The developers (programmers,artists,writers) were top notch, the company was just mismanaged into oblivion.

I really hope someone picks up this IP and runs with it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Lore was KoA's only great part. I guess the IP may be worth it, even though the game itself was the definition of mediocrity.

Well, it did have a decent story good voice acting, it ran very smooth, was very polished. I enjoyed a lot of aspects of the game. ombat was enjoyable though not too involved.  What I didn't like was the "mmo spawning" of mobs in the same place.. You could practically set your watch to it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Fact: Someone is going to get a crazy deal on this. 

Todd McFarlane did an interview once after the bankruptcy and said the game (Copernicus) was like just about finished. Without a doubt, there will be a limited number of buyers in the auction and they'll all be looking to get a deal. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes for less than 10 million, which will be a steal. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by demodar

Compared to games even today , amalur had rich lore , interesting characters (very very interesting to me), gameplay and combat was superb with amazing combos class mixes and extra details like fate cards . The combat system as character animation , weapon attacks and movement and combos w as pretty much awesome sadly very few games can pull this off . The score of 7 out of 10 is pretty much nonsense i would give it 9 out of 10 because of rich lore , unique graphics for it own world , epic combat and combo system , not to speak of fate shits those were EPIC and so many !The only issue i had with the game is the lack of exploration in persona of the characters like  Alyn Shir and the too many side quests which hindered most peoples interest in the game , but given they made 1 epic main quest in a huge huge world +6-7 faction quests which were probably just as big and 2 dlcs , which for a fact were huge huge huge areas with tons of quests and lore , OH THE LORE STONES LOVE THEM.

Game is rich on every aspect of what you can want in a game crafting , combat , combos , spells and all kinds of interesting stuff. Even if EA buys it lets hope with the new CEO they have a head on their shoulders and can start doing the right things and not put more dust on their grave.

I hope all for the best and  i hope we see Project Copernicus become the best big mmorpg

While I realize a lot of people seemed to love this game, I wouldn't base it on it's story, but more on it's graphics and combat. I got quickly bored with the game because I found the voice acting and the story, painfully boring and slow. It was worse than Skyrim in the story department which is saying something.

Smile

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    its safe to say- if this game was still in production- we would eb talking abt it as oppose to Wildstar.
  • bexinhbexinh Member UncommonPosts: 69
    so sad its a good game. I hope a good developer will pick it up. Good luck
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I kind of have mixed feelings about Copernicus

I was very much looking forward to finding out more about it, and playing it. I'm thinking maybe it wasn't looking so good, if it was I'm sure they could of found some more money.

Sure would like to know one way or the other.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Was hugely disappointed when the company went under and that mmo never got to be made. Honestly, I don't really care who get's the rights I just want to see it come to fruition.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

I would have bet money Cryptic as the developer to buy it up, but now that Cryptic is owned by PW, not so sure.

My reasoning is that Cryptic snapped up the StarTrek and DND ips.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Lincoln Chafee can still burn in hell for how he torpedoed 38 studios. Pretty sad that he played politics with a peoples careers. 
  • DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I was really looking forward to the mmo they were making.  KoA was basically a way for them to make some money while they continued working on the mmo and even as a single player game it was decent.  Copernicus looked like it was going to be really interesting.  They should have gotten their funding from a source closer to the industry.  Asking a state to understand the time tables in video game development was just a bad idea.

Not all who wander are lost...

• demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Soooo you dont like amalur story , you don't like skyrim story ... What do you like call of duty or painkiller or something like  that i mean its  fantasy yes it will have some general ideas on what the plot is about , but the fact is presentation is really important . I remember exploring wall of alduin such a nice piece of art with all the elder scrolls games represented on it . Protesting that a giant world rpg progresses too slowly doesn't really make sense , if you don't like big games with long and "complicated" lore they are not for you thats for sure , give me few examples of games that you would rate as your top , i bet you would even say dragon age origins was generic too.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I include myself an Elder Scrolls fan, but even I have to admit the love of Elder Scrolls does not extend to "great stories".  The lore/history presented in the game is amazing, but I never expect much from the main story and I find myself rarely disappointed that way.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Amalur was good.. but soulless. I have fond memories of playing it but never finished. I never got off the first continent.. never did the expansion areas even though I had them all. I've started the game about 6 times and I eventually just got bored of explore zone, kill, loot, repeat.. it became too easy, even on hard.

MMO style gaming.. In single player mode.

Didn't really work.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Don't see the value. Graphics assets, story boards and IP that's meh and even their previous release while "ok" was known as a repetitive hack and slasher then an rpg. I have it and stopped a 1/4 in, just boring. Maybe if the starting bid was 40,000. yeah I said 40k. Then Maybe someone might be interested, but for the assets the development engine that never could and a MMO project to be stated a point of completion is questionable. More over when the ones handling the deal don't guaranty anything listed in the documents given are accurate? Really? no research done? not a bit ? Tells me this is a cut and run auction.

Meh anyone buying it will loose out is my prediction. Some of you love the IP but I found it too cookie cutter with the rest. Again the only value I see in this whole deal is the artist assets and that all depends how much is actually there. Most of the new things they worked on even videos and screens show repetitive and or drawn back ground fillers. At least I can see why now they went broke, Christmas parties over work and other miss-management just goes to show when you don't have a budget or organized structure you will fail. Well that and not being able to pay back your debts , hmm wait that goes under management again. Well look at that!

edit: I should be fair thou, rise of nations is a good IP to take over. Proxy bid so this would be a good IP to pick up if someone buys that one, you will make good cash if you follow it with a good game play title. So ok , there is actually one thing worthy in the lineup.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Ea pick them up and hand them over to BW who give them a quick once over and dump them on some smaller studio.

This have been a good conversation

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/38-studios-video-game-headed-auction-block-20395423

Honestly I enjoyed KOA, IT was okay, and could have been better of course like supporting custom mods and so on.

But honestly I wouldn't even bother buying it. OF Course EA, or one of these small companies is likely going to make a bid on it, But without seeing all the files, and contents myself I would not even pay the $75 Million Dollars on an auction back, heck I would let the state keep the stupid rights to the game that went under, or I would  have destroyed all the IP/DATA so they were unable to recover anything at all period.

Then I would have just hired the developers of the game to start over and design a good game or something sure they would retain IP rights of the original, but a better one could be made leaving the state at a big loss still.

But of course we don't know who is going to buy it just don't expect to make $75 million dollars back off of it, then again KOA was a good game, but its been on the internet for free download for years now so I doubt it will make any income unless a MMO comes out a game with no actual IP Holders a game that has went under don't really expect people to pay money for the game and of course the best sense would be if EA Acquired this, but then again I would not waste $75 million dollars on such data or anything I would based on what I saw just start over give the game a new name, or if there is quite a bit developed pay maybe a million for it acquire it go from there but never without knowing what you are getting even then it would be best to have the orignal designers of the game.

If you ask for an honest opinion this in my opinion looks like a big fraud,or a scam to secure a lot of Real Life Money 75 million dollars for game development that went under, and yet we have a game called star citizen being developed with 20 million dollars from Kick Starter & Donations, obviously something seriously went on here, and now the state wants their money back from their mistake.