Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: A Realm Revitalized

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Excuse me, but what world do you live in?  When the scale is set from 1 to 10, 10 is always considered perfection, that's why it is called a scale and not a bell curve that gives consideration to other games in the market.

Except when someone decides it doesn't mean perfection.

You are seriously trying to claim that a review scale is somehow outside subjectiveness. That there exists some kind of objective reality where a 10 always mean perfection and can not mean anything else.

Funny.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by Byrhofen

Longevity a 10?

Take one combat based job to 50, then see how many quest's you have left to level a second combat based job, then, once you have finished grinding fates over and over again, see how much you really feel like levelling a third combat job, never mind all of them.

Even if you pay the sub fee that allows 8 character slots, knowing what grind lays ahead will put many people off making alts.

I figured it wouldn't take many posts until someone had a "cow" over the Longevity score hehe. Every one of these people do NOT mention crafting...at all...like it doesn't exist. There are a LOT of crafters that will have tons to do in preparation for the next patch. The overall score is accurate.

When did less than 2 months worth of content equate to a 10 score for longevity. I will not claim to be one of those people who reached max level in a class and a job and also grinded my relic stuff, but I was in an active guild and many of the members were working on that stuff after 2 weeks into the game. I didn't make it to max level and start the hard modes but I didn't need to to see that many of the guild members had maxed crafters and were farming hard modes already. The game got so stale for me and that's a shame since I am huge fan of FF. My only thought is that I have an issue with giving the game a 10 for longevity and I am willing to bet that sub numbers will reflect this. I didn't mention crafting earlier because it is a part of the whole package and I didn't think it was necessary to pick apart each area I felt FFXIV fell short on longevity.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I so wanted this to be a good game. Instead, I got a popular game.
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

My biggest complaint is the GOLD FARMERS and their bullshit workarounds for adding them to your blacklist. I tried 10 times today to add a GF spamming asshole and their name "could not be located".

SE really needs to make it easy for real players to report or blacklist these clowns or their population will wither quickly. General chat was rendered completely useless in Limsa Lominsa

today by one "bot"...unacceptable.....

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

Thanks for the review. I spent two nights waiting to get into the first dungeon, Sastasha. As anything other than a tank or healer it's just not fun waiting (archer here). I gave up both times and logged out. I just want to continue the main quest. Great if it worked for anyone else...it's not working for me on Zelera. Probably not going back. I have better games to play. That's a horrible system imho. 

Too bad. Visually it's stunning. And I was having great fun and enjoying the story (which I actually DO follow) until my Duty Finder roadblock. 

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Overall, it's pretty clear the community here is somewhat equally divided on the game (which is normal). Those who disliked it can freely "warn" those not yet playing. Those who liked it can recommend it. At the end of the day, the game and the game's community will be better off retaining those who actually enjoy the game minus the toxic people.

That said, hopefully they offer trials soon so on-lookers won't have to decide blindly based off this mess of a cat fight.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

Overall, it's pretty clear the community here is somewhat equally divided on the game (which is normal). Those who disliked it can freely "warn" those not yet playing. Those who liked it can recommend it. At the end of the day, the game and the game's community will be better off retaining those who actually enjoy the game minus the toxic people.

That said, hopefully they offer trials soon so on-lookers won't have to decide blindly based off this mess of a cat fight.

I'm not so divided on the game  (FF not my flavor no fault of SE, I lost interest around 7 I think) it's the article the bugs the hell outta me :D

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by BMBender

OK I'm not arguing for or against the ultimate success/failure of FF.  But isn't it a tad pre-mature to be making sweeping statements barely a month past re-launch? TOR at this point still had over a mil subs.

That along with this statement "Gameplay is the biggest detractor in A Realm Reborn" seems a bit of a dichotomy with being "revitalized"  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't gameplay one of the core factors to enjoyment of a game?

The gameplay factor was greatly reduced due to the significant lag he experienced. Far from everyone experiences this lag, even if they play from Europe. I do not experience it.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Originally posted by BMBender

OK I'm not arguing for or against the ultimate success/failure of FF.  But isn't it a tad pre-mature to be making sweeping statements barely a month past re-launch? TOR at this point still had over a mil subs.

That along with this statement "Gameplay is the biggest detractor in A Realm Reborn" seems a bit of a dichotomy with being "revitalized"  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't gameplay one of the core factors to enjoyment of a game?

The gameplay factor was greatly reduced due to the significant lag he experienced. Far from everyone experiences this lag, even if they play from Europe. I do not experience it.

That's what I was forced to assume and also why I posted the definitions of game  play, there seems to be some confusion witch is irritating from someone who is supposed to write for a living/or semi professional hobby.  Does not change the fact that saying gameplay in effect sucks does not =  I had bad lag Unless trcrted to the game provider and verified across a specific demographic of players

EDIT

If it was Everyone lags the hell out then yea take a ding on gameplay, or skills fail to function, or people constantly fall off the world, combat stutters, chat gets garbled in transmit ion ect. ect

Gameplay is supposed to be the most tangible and least subjective part of the review and the basis for determining if a game is good or not across the widest demographic or at least functional.  Saying it's the biggest detractor is like say this game barely functions.  Some one just glancing or skimming this article would come away with the impression this game is a very shiny turd, when apparently that was not the reviewers intent.

Originally posted by Benbrada

My biggest complaint is lag in general. NPCs take forever on the legacy server I'm on. Granted it could be my dual-core PC but late, late hours it's not as bad (when server population is low).

Last night I failed an easy grand company leve because of lag.

Have you tried benchmark? http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

I had issues with lag on my older computer as well, that one scored "[1500-1999] Slightly Low Performance – Changes to Settings Recommended" despite playing on very low settings. I specially felt the lag in crowded areas, such as accessing retainer.

On my newer computer, scoring "[7000-] Extremely high perfomance", the lag issues were non-existent.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by Byrhofen

Longevity a 10?

Take one combat based job to 50, then see how many quest's you have left to level a second combat based job, then, once you have finished grinding fates over and over again, see how much you really feel like levelling a third combat job, never mind all of them.

Even if you pay the sub fee that allows 8 character slots, knowing what grind lays ahead will put many people off making alts.

I figured it wouldn't take many posts until someone had a "cow" over the Longevity score hehe. Every one of these people do NOT mention crafting...at all...like it doesn't exist. There are a LOT of crafters that will have tons to do in preparation for the next patch. The overall score is accurate.

Niche gameplay (crafting) doesn't apply to the majority of gamers, maybe the fault lies with your perception?  The game is primarily an adventure game and it focuses more on combat than any other mechanic, so when people argue longevity, it would of course, be targeted at that primary component of the game.

So when we review GW2, we should ignore WvWvW because, that is certainly not the primary component of the game.  Sure it is a main focus, and it is very important, but it is not as important as the PvE trip from level 1 to 80, so let's completely ignore WvWvW and pretend it doesn't exist. 

Originally posted by Rhime

My biggest complaint is the GOLD FARMERS and their bullshit workarounds for adding them to your blacklist. I tried 10 times today to add a GF spamming asshole and their name "could not be located".

SE really needs to make it easy for real players to report or blacklist these clowns or their population will wither quickly. General chat was rendered completely useless in Limsa Lominsa

today by one "bot"...unacceptable.....

I am guessing you tried to copy+paste their name and a space got in the way? Because " gil spammer" won't work while "gil spammer" will work; had that problem multiple times.

Edit: However, yeah I very much agree that a simple click on their name should give a blacklist option. 

Originally posted by iamrta

Thanks for the review. I spent two nights waiting to get into the first dungeon, Sastasha. As anything other than a tank or healer it's just not fun waiting (archer here). I gave up both times and logged out. I just want to continue the main quest. Great if it worked for anyone else...it's not working for me on Zelera. Probably not going back. I have better games to play. That's a horrible system imho. 

Too bad. Visually it's stunning. And I was having great fun and enjoying the story (which I actually DO follow) until my Duty Finder roadblock. 

It is a MMORPG, use shout or yell to state precisely that: you are a new player that has spent two nights waiting to get into sastasha. I would certainly help someone typing that in chat. Another alternative is to join a free company (guild) whose responsability is to help you with such. 

For the people who do not like to communicate at all with strangers in such way, there will be some form of daily reward for doing random dungeon in next patch (2.1 I think?); so yeah at least I hope by then it will be easier to get into dungeon as a new player without ever having to ask strangers.

Originally posted by Sagremor

FF14 is a nice game but not worth paying 15$ / month to continue playing. GW2 was a B2P with more world to explorer and more content at launch. Unfortunaltely, I couldn't stand the "no healer" thing as I mostly play an healer class. 

Things in FF14 that should have been there at launch :

• Search box in crafting / hunting log
    • Disagree, it should be up to every player to memorize where stuff is. It is not that hard. Currently crafting and hunting log is logically ordered: by level.

• Search box in inventory / armory
    • Disagree here as well, every player should be able to memorize where they put their shit and organize it as well. You do not need a "search box" in real life to search for items in your appartment, and you shouldn't ened one is a game either for searching your inventory. 

• A dressing room
    • Agreed, there are far too many vanity items around to keep them in armory. A "wardrobe" feature to see how items look on you in your room at the inn would be appropriate.

• More than 1 color on an armor for dye. 
    • Yeah, agreed. Although I never dyed my items myself, I assume you are telling the truth and if such 1 color is too little.

• Report for gold spammers and blacklist with a click.
    • Agreed. Needs to become very easy to blacklist them. Currently too slow to do it via typing or social list.

• Items comparision (can't tell if the new item have more Piety by checking the tooltip is annoying)
    • Borderline on this one; I don't have any issues having to memorize this; but I wouldn't be too dissappointed if it was implemented. 

• Item linking
    • Yeah, for trading outside of retainer, this needs to be implemented, specially for items with materia in them due to the stat caps on items. 

On top of that, the long GCD of 2.5 seconds and the ability lag is painful. 
    This is a very much a matter of taste. I like this compromise between turn--based and instant action combat. In practice it is often about 2 skills every 2.5 seconds (since you can use about one non-gcd skill between each gcd skills) and movement; far more movement if you are melee. 

Crafting is awesome tho... gotta give SE that but it won't have me sub...!!!
    Very much agreed about crafting, but I will continue subbing though XD. 

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Fair review on all points, about how I'd score it.  As a soloist I was mildly annoyed at being forced into dungeons as part of the story.  But really even that was enjoyable.

This is a very very good game overall, imo.  I see myself having fun for quite awhile.

• UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Tissmogi

Originally posted by Rockniss

Good scoreing and right on with that ability lag. I really really wish that it wasnt present, I cant get past it, but if you're someone who can, this is a great place to call home.

I don't know what crappy internet you people have but i have zero skill lag and i play from Europe. Maybe want to check out your provider.

Which EU server are you on?

• N00bkinN00bkin Member Posts: 3
    Rather disappointiing game. The story line is extremely shallow compared to any other ff game. If you were expecting charismatic characters or an immersive story line like the other finalfantasies look elsewhere in this game the storyline is just an excuse to have you do more of the repetitive stuff.  Just to be clear, gw2 had a way better storyline, justto give an. Idea ofhow distant this gameis in terms of story line compared to other final fantasies. Everything else seems to be rehash from other mmos. I had suchhigh hopes for this, alas it'sno goodof a game. Could have beenplayable on and off if it didnt have sub fee,expecting peopleto pay more than retail price for this game is a joke. Poorly played SE, we expected more from you
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It is a good game but I had lag all the time and it was overpopulated so I didn't stay long enough. Only stayed to get paladin. But I tried something I don't usually do and played the tank which I don't like doing in dungeons due to requiring some kind of leadership role, studying fights before hand etc because I'm usualy the person who follows the group and dps the mobs. So, that was fun for a change. Had to already know what to do which first time doing it can be a bit fun with randoms. If the performance ever increased I'd probly go back and level up afew other classes as it shouldn't take 5 seconds to cast a 2.5 sec spell.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by N00bkin
    Rather disappointiing game. The story line is extremely shallow compared to any other ff game. If you were expecting charismatic characters or an immersive story line like the other finalfantasies look elsewhere in this game the storyline is just an excuse to have you do more of the repetitive stuff.  Just to be clear, gw2 had a way better storyline, justto give an. Idea ofhow distant this gameis in terms of story line compared to other final fantasies. Everything else seems to be rehash from other mmos. I had suchhigh hopes for this, alas it'sno goodof a game. Could have beenplayable on and off if it didnt have sub fee,expecting peopleto pay more than retail price for this game is a joke. Poorly played SE, we expected more from you

GW2's story-telling is one of its weakest features. I liked the other parts of GW2 and I'm a fan of GW1, but the writing in the GW2 is closer to TERA's story. It's that atrocious. It cannot even be compared to GW1's and this one.

Edit: Removed personal attack

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    [mod edit]
  • JollipopJollipop Member Posts: 1
    Nice review but I think your overall score downplays some of the major problems with this game mainly the server stability, dungeon congestion, AoE latency and position tracking, being hit by AoE's at end game is not fun and it seems SE are happy to ignore their playerbase about the issue.
  • N00bkinN00bkin Member Posts: 3

[mod edit]

[mod edit]What I was trying to say is that the story line is not comparable to any other FF game. Usually FF games get you very attached to the characters it's almost like reading a good book and when it's over you feel empty knowing you can't follow the adventures of these imaginary characters anymore.

FF14's story line is very distant from that. And yes imo Gw2 did a way better job with their story line, but that's an opinion, what's a fact though is that FF14 story line pales compared to any other final fantasy game.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Wasn't even trolling. What I was trying to say is that the story line is not comparable to any other FF game. Usually FF games get you very attached to the characters it's almost like reading a good book and when it's over you feel empty knowing you can't follow the adventures of these imaginary characters anymore.

FF14's story line is very distant from that. And yes imo Gw2 did a way better job with their story line, but that's an opinion, what's a fact though is that FF14 story line pales compared to any other final fantasy game.

[mod edit]

That said, I am enjoying the lore behind FF14. I'm not sure why you are using GW2's personal as a benchmark since I found it lacking compared to its predecessor. The characters lacked personality and had a weak foundation compared to their art team which did a stellar job on creating atmosphere. GW2's visuals overwhelmed the writing. In comparison, FF14 got both the visual and writing direction right.

With regard to other FF titles, I would rank the writing above FF8 and FF13. The story is on par with FF10 and FF12. I find FF6 and FF9 to be better. Still, as an MMO, I care more about the world they created. And in that perspective, it is better than the FF titles.

Originally posted by Zalmon

Everyone has a right to express their opinion so I am challenging his. We are both comparing the game's story to GW2's story. What's wrong with that? If you feel like contributing to either one of us then go ahead. If not, then you're the one going off-topic and should be ignored.

You could have done that without calling him a troll and his post a garbage.  This agressiveness and rude behavior is un necessary and i hope a mod takes an action regarding such behavior. People get banned around here for lot less.

I apologized in a post directed to him. I assumed it was trolling due to the typos in his first post coupled with the join date.