Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspended for botting/cheating

Comments

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

It's hard to know whether the OP has actually cheated or not since some people don't actually know what cheating IS, and when you agree to TOS you are handing the defining of cheating over to SE (or whatever other company).

One thing that is for sure though is that SE is pretty active about dealing with things and tends to be heavy handed when they DO deal with things.

I'm done with FFXIV - mostly because it's simply not that good of a game - but one tiny silver of my decision was based on the fact that SE is both incompetent and a generally bad company that I'd rather not give any more money to.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Here is a question to the OP:  Have you been running Amdapor Keep?  If so, have you been abusing the tree glitch on the first boss? (This is the glitch where the healer goes up the tree where they cannot get hit by golems, but will have aggro on them)

Just curious, because I have been warning people in my FC not to abuse that glitch.

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I guess it comes to no surprise that the snarkiness of your rebuttals are met with kind. You start by blaming others for your situation and then expect the same people to accept your conclusion while ignoring their own with the limited information you provided. Then you respond to someone who is seems to be trying to legitimately help you by asking for something you could have figured out with a simple google search:
    • Square Enix Support
    • Ph: 858-790-7529
    • Available Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST

OP is quite obviously irritated at losing his account unfairly.  Understandable, no?  Further instigating him with chiding anecdotes and internet psych evaluations instead of a little understanding is likely to cause further frustration.  No need to throw in the extra two cents, just the phone number would have done well.

Moo

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Remember when someone did threads before and they were truthful and in fact did nothing that would of got them banned?

Me neither, so my belief of the OP actually being banned for 'no reason' is slim to none. Sorry, people aren't born yesterday.

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Remember when someone did threads before and they were truthful and in fact did nothing that would of got them banned?

Me neither, so my belief of the OP actually being banned for 'no reason' is slim to none. Sorry, people aren't born yesterday.

I'm sure it happens.

Moo

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I have heard a lot of people are being "investigated" - people who spam for gil RMT, people who buy gil, people who bought gil, people who were trading gil illicitly via marketplace, etc.

I don't have any definitive source for this, just the word going around in the FC right now. A lot of people have pulled all their retainers off the marketplace so they don't unknowingly sell to someone who bought a bunch of gil and potentially get banned themselves.

A lot of the bans will be overturned once they complete the investigation - but it's an effort to clear out all the RMT. They probably went a bit overzealous on the ban hammer.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    I think what happens a lot of times is that gold sellers get your account info and log onto your account and use it to spam chat for selling gold. They might not even change your password and keep doing it until you find out and change it or you get banned.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I remember back in '06, there was a huge uproar in the Linux gaming community. (Back then, that probably could have been little more than a dozen people) Anyway, A particular poster was banned from WoW for cheating. And in his wall of text and his huge ranting and bitching all up and down the Internet to "prove" his innocence. He proceeded to discuss the use of Wine and setting it up to run WoW on an emulated OS. And Blizzard banned him unfairly and he created this huge stink in the Linux community warning players not to play WoW under Linux and so there was this big to do over it. But one thing caught my eye. This particular poster blamed the mistake on a programmable gaming keyboard he was setting up. To which I instantly thought....What gaming keyboard manufacturer coded their software for Linux back in 06. I can tell you since I was avidly running Linux and WoW under Wine myself, that none did.

Basically. That particular poster was full of crap and was willing to try to destroy something that others were enjoying to what end? To get a bunch of people he'll never meet to believe he was innocent when he really wasn't?

Innocent or guilty, we don't have the whole story. But I'm willing to bet, the more that we did have, the more we be able to see the issue as it is. (Not ruling out the possibilty for an honest mistake or even innocence) It could have been a large influx of Gil that tripped a flag or something.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by raww
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I guess it comes to no surprise that the snarkiness of your rebuttals are met with kind. You start by blaming others for your situation and then expect the same people to accept your conclusion while ignoring their own with the limited information you provided. Then you respond to someone who is seems to be trying to legitimately help you by asking for something you could have figured out with a simple google search:
    • Square Enix Support
    • Ph: 858-790-7529
    • Available Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST

OP is quite obviously irritated at losing his account unfairly.  Understandable, no?  Further instigating him with chiding anecdotes and internet psych evaluations instead of a little understanding is likely to cause further frustration.  No need to throw in the extra two cents, just the phone number would have done well.

The reaction time between thinking and speaking is debatable, but can be overcome with practice. Introducing a keyboard to the equation usually slows down this reaction time considerably thus giving individuals even more time to think, but rarely is it practiced. I was simply pointing out the OP's abrasive way of asking for assistance and how others tend to act like mirrors instead of windows to reflect back what he's projecting. Sometimes people are not aware why their message isn't getting through until someone brings it to their attention.

You may be fine giving a pass for someone's questionable behavior based on their situation, that's your prerogative, I'm not fond of that way of dealing with it. All the energy he directed at snapping at others could have been used to actually find what he was looking for. Nevertheless I even took the time to do it for him. Did you really think it would come without a cost?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm very happy to see that SE are vigorously fighting back against the goldspammers.

If the OP is innocent, I hope the investigation process clears them and they get their account back. However, there will be some people that will be unjustly banned, because the evidence is not conclusive and SE may not give "the benefit of the doubt" in their final decision. That's just too bad.

If it happened to me, I'd be mad as hell too, but not with SE, with the goldspammers ! THEY are the ones causing these witch-hunts and investigations. Because of their relentless attacks, they are putting so much pressure on the game developers that inevitably mistakes will be made.

I doubt that game developers are employing highly trained teams of forensic IT systems auditors. Most of the investigators are probably doing their best, but unraveling and interpreting the electronic record of someone's game actions for a week or two will be a very lengthy process (if done thoroughly). At that rate, SE would still probably be investigating the reports from the first week after launch...

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Mattatron

Apparently my account has been suspended for botting, use third party software, and other cheating. No one else has used my account and I did not cheat in any way.

So, apparently, there is to be an investigation. If they really investigate, they'll find I didn't cheat.

So, I suspect, because I was doing well, malicious people reported me as a cheater. Is this all it takes to get someone's account suspended? That's griefing.

Anyway, if I don't get my account back complete with all my money and items from before this suspension began, I'm done with this game. There's no reason to work for something if it can just be taken away like this.

Given that you state that you have been suspended for "botting, use third part software, and other cheating" and assuming you are telling the truth, I suppose you received a mail from SquareEnix that you got banned for those reasons or are you simply assuming?

Furthermore, about the "no one else has used my account", you could have been hacked; unless you use physical security token you can't really be sure that they didn't hack your email/forum account or put a keylogger.

I do hope that they help you out though.

• XandramasXandramas Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by eccoton

Apparently my account has been suspended for botting, use third party software, and other cheating. No one else has used my account and I did not cheat in any way.

So, apparently, there is to be an investigation. If they really investigate, they'll find I didn't cheat.

So, I suspect, because I was doing well, malicious people reported me as a cheater. Is this all it takes to get someone's account suspended? That's griefing.

Anyway, if I don't get my account back complete with all my money and items from before this suspension began, I'm done with this game. There's no reason to work for something if it can just be taken away like this.

I was suspended too for gold selling like you I did not do it. Be prepared for the backlash from the mmorpg community. They will say you were guilty and not many here will support you. That has been the pattern with anyone who posts about a suspension despite the fact SE is suspending a lot of account from customers who are not guilty. After two weeks of trying to get to customer service I stopped. I was able however to get a refund on the game after a few phone calls and getting my credit card company involved. I have been a SE customer and account holder since 2008 it is a shame but I will never be a SE customer again. Sorry this happened to you I totally believe you I hope it turns out better for you then a lot of other players. Not only am I done with FFXIV I am done with SE.

I too am in the same boat. I also thought of taking them to court but in the eula they covered their asses by saying they can terminate the account for whatever reason they want. Even if they are in the wrong for doing so. So taking them to court for being terminated is a no-go. I am pretty close to being in the same boat as this replier as well. I've been an avid fan of se products since FF1 and had purchased almost every game since, except for the mobile game shit they've been releasing recently. I am at a week and a half without so much as even an email reply stating my investigation has been started dispite contacting customer service twice. I am going to contact them again and ask them why the people getting locked out with 3 day suspensions for having too much money are getting serviced first. I was nice the first 2 times with customer support this next time I am going to be a raging asshole and see if that gets me anywhere.

I've been suspended for almost as long as the game has been out and I can pretty much give up on being the first at ANYTHING in the game anymore. Or having any kind of decent hold on the market either because from what ive read it can take up to a month and a half for the entire process to finish. Which is utter bullshit for something that we had nothing to do with. PS. I hate gold buyers and sellers and am not one.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

They can ban freely my account, stopped to play after 3rd day. :-) All this time have not logged back and would not wonder as I hear so many stories like this in meantime my account was banned. :-)

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

I think you're guilty as charged.

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112
    i am not saying the OP is tell the truth or not, but my exp. is the people that complain about being banned are the ones doing it. I have report about 30 players on my server for botting. how do i know they are botting, they are using stealth in a level 1 area, can only see their name an inch above the ground, then they disappear. there are alot of people like myself trying to do it hte honest to and make gil in this game and other just spit in our face. 

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
    Still suspended. Still no real info what I "did".
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    At the end of the day they are the bigger losers, you won't be paying a sub nor buying any more of their games

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheSlitherTheSlither Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    At the end of the day they are the bigger losers, you won't be paying a sub nor buying any more of their games

Dont worry they count with this, because BAN is also for their other products and its against rules to create new account. If you do they can BAN you again.

I told 8 people I know... friends, friends of friends... who know I have been playing this, about my experience with this suspension. They were on the fence about it because I was talking about it. Now they will not buy it at all.
    I told 8 people I know... friends, friends of friends... who know I have been playing this, about my experience with this suspension. They were on the fence about it because I was talking about it. Now they will not buy it at all.

So they want cheat/spam too? Glad that they dont buy then.

Originally posted by TheSlither

Trolls...

On another note, resubs are coming up soon. Suspended accounts aren't allowed to change their sub options, but I got an email a couple days ago saying my trial period was about up.

So, right now I can't change my account info, remove my pay info or cancel. I think I'll call my bank today and explain this situation.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by TheSlither

Trolls...

On another note, resubs are coming up soon. Suspended accounts aren't allowed to change their sub options, but I got an email a couple days ago saying my trial period was about up.

So, right now I can't change my account info, remove my pay info or cancel. I think I'll call my bank today and explain this situation.

Yeah, you do that.  Don't cheat next time.

Puts a whole new angle on your posts about the auto bans to stop gil RMT.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Sadly some, maybe even many people are not guilty.  Many people did nothing but craft and made a ton of money selling stuff. Their characters were crafters only.   I had a guy in my guild who made stuff for me all the time, pretty much every 5-10 levels.  He made great stuff and I bought it from him like many other people did.  He got suspended for buying gold, but he didn't buy gold. He was a crafter and only a crafter, he made and sold end level game items, made a ton of money and got banned.  The sad thing is he can't play until they investigate. 
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Sadly some, maybe even many people are not guilty.  Many people did nothing but craft and made a ton of money selling stuff. Their characters were crafters only.   I had a guy in my guild who made stuff for me all the time, pretty much every 5-10 levels.  He made great stuff and I bought it from him like many other people did.  He got suspended for buying gold, but he didn't buy gold. He was a crafter and only a crafter, he made and sold end level game items, made a ton of money and got banned.  The sad thing is he can't play until they investigate. 

just 72 hours, he can take a break.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Could be true but a lot of crafters bought gil to be able to buy everything they needed to level their crafting fast. If you look at the guy who posted he got all crafting to level 50 you can see his gathering skills are crap low. Does not take much to figure out how he got there. People have been yelling at SE to fix this and when they do work towards that goal people yell at them. All seems unreasonable to me. If your friend really did nothing he will get his account back.