Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why GTA5 is Better Than Most MMOs

Comments

• BunglermooseBunglermoose Member Posts: 63
    I don't have console hate. I have "I can't afford a console *and* a PC" sadness.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    The only game that's better than MMOs universally is Dwarf Fortress and that's if you can manage to get a feel for the UI in that game (plus some tilesets work wonders for interpreting the game better).

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Why does this need a column? It's not exactly breaking news that the MMO genre has been far behind the quality of other genres since its birth. The social aspect is the only saving grace of the MMORPG.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    So basically MMO devs should be striving to deliver more realistic virtual worlds.

Seems like I might have heard that somewhere before.....

Oh yeah, I've been saying it like a broken record for about 7 years or so, but Narius would tell I'm wrong.

Thats it pretty much,like players in GTA ,they wont destroy or steal every car or npc they see,they wont do that in MMOs either.

They act harm of peacefully but the point is they play as they like,its not possible in MMOs anymore.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by BMBender
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    And rest assured, that if our online worlds don't strive to become something more like the famed GTA's magnificent cities, we're already doomed.

And if they do--shoot for or even attempt to contend with 250 million dollar budgets--we're doomed even more quickly.

Setting an impossibly high bar with your usual gung-ho enthusiasm here, BM.

The bar should always be high, and reach ever higher. Limitations are just that, until they no longer limit us.

The funny little thing about goals is the have to be measureable, achievable, and realistic.  Over/under-estimating ones limitations/abilities tends to go a certain way in any meritocracy based organization.  And markets in their own way make judgments on both meritocracy and mediocrity.

EDIT I don't fault modern mmo makers for high bars they may or may not set; I fault them for repeatedly failing to reach the ones they do.

Odd. SWTOR spends all of that money on sound, and ... (omgfail!!11one!!1)

GTA5 spends all of that money on sound, and ... (omgwin!!!11one!!1)

Gamers sure are odd and contradictory ducks sometiimes.

lol agreed but the difference in my mind is the GTA omigods great crowd was a specifically targeted demographic of gamers.  SWTOR was aiming for a huge hodge podge of PVers, pvpers, rpers, groupers, soloers, casuals, hardcores ect and got what they payed for.   You aim for that kind of disparity in your audience you are most definitely gonna take some flak.  Not to mention designing/implementing feature sets over that wide a range of play styles is a hurdle I don't think anyone's nailed at launch. Including Wow. it's a pie dream at best.

• hugtime4everhugtime4ever Member UncommonPosts: 38
    5 reasons why GTA5 is not a MMO.

1. the multiplayer will have a cap of 26 people. 
    2. It is a singleplayer.
    3. Rockstar fails hard at multiplayer. 
    4. Rockstar fails even harder at online multiplayer. 
    5. It is not a MMO, RPG or a combination of these two. 

Looking forward to uhh.....
    playing: Civ 5, Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Best game, of the last 10 years
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Kyleran
    So basically MMO devs should be striving to deliver more realistic virtual worlds.Seems like I might have heard that somewhere before.....Oh yeah, I've been saying it like a broken record for about 7 years or so, but Narius would tell I'm wrong.
    Yeah. But to be fair, its difficult to hear everything someone says when they never stop talking... =D
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    And rest assured, that if our online worlds don't strive to become something more like the famed GTA's magnificent cities, we're already doomed.

And if they do--shoot for or even attempt to contend with 250 million dollar budgets--we're doomed even more quickly.

Setting an impossibly high bar with your usual gung-ho enthusiasm here, BM.

Well I am sure 250 mill. budgets would be more common if not for the devs. running the genre into the ground... 

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

For you gamers with badass gaming computers, Sign the petition to get this released on PC...

https://www.change.org/petitions/rockstar-release-gta-v-on-pc?utm_source=action_alert

• zSurrenderzSurrender Member UncommonPosts: 16

What a bunch of babies that are not trying a game cause they can't let go of their PC gaming ego... lol.

Before you judge a game - play it. Your arguements are invalid until you have something worthy to argue about.

When Online drops, this game is going to be SICK. I laugh at all you kids who secretly envy this game because you refuse to play console games, your loss (haha).  And to all the people who have troubles seperating what is a game and what is real, you're the one who has to get your head checked.

Rockstar hit the nail on the head with this game, you don't just sell 16 million copies in 5 days if something wasn't right.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

I would be all over console games if the devs would just make an option to use keyboard and mouse instead of gimping me with a controller.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

I liked Saints Row 4 MUCH more then GTA 5...

So yeah..

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by zSurrender

What a bunch of babies that are not trying a game cause they can't let go of their PC gaming ego... lol.

Before you judge a game - play it. Your arguements are invalid until you have something worthy to argue about.

When Online drops, this game is going to be SICK. I laugh at all you kids who secretly envy this game because you refuse to play console games, your loss (haha).  And to all the people who have troubles seperating what is a game and what is real, you're the one who has to get your head checked.

Rockstar hit the nail on the head with this game, you don't just sell 16 million copies in 5 days if something wasn't right.

think its more a issue of the control. I mean i play bf3 on my brothers console when i visit him but its hard to get used to not being able to use a mouse. But yeah I might give it a go next time I visit him.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    GTA V, no PC version, no purchase. I own a PS3 but to me the GTA games always feel better on PC.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    And yet....I find myself unable to be pulled from FFXIV in order to play GTA5, which is sitting in my PS3.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed what I played so far, I just am more drawn to FFXIV than anything else right now.  That's saying a lot.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by shamall

I would be all over console games if the devs would just make an option to use keyboard and mouse instead of gimping me with a controller.

There is no gimping with a controller. often times it works even better. Im pointing at you Diablo 3.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I wish horses and mounts moved as fast as the gta automobiles.

The thing I cannot stand about these "epic mounts" is that they generally run 10% faster than basic foot speed.

MMOs need to be huge and fast paced.

I disagree, huge and fast paced is the same as smaller and slower.  If people are just blowing through the landscapes it doesn't matter anyway.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well i guess GTA:O will show us if this sort of detailed world is doable with more then one person active in the world at one time.

Afaik APB is the only game to try and have a GTA style world and give the player access to a wide range of customization for their character... It eats memory like it was skittles.

But they have a point, as we move forward MMO´s will be more complex and detailed, but unless something radical happens i think we have some stapes left before it can rival a SP game.

This have been a good conversation

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I have to disagree with the article.  Enjoy playing as  thug ?  Personally I find that quite distasteful, hence I hardly think it is worthwhile attempting to make it appear like a good game. 

Find a decent game to laud, not that game.

I hope you don't do anything but craft in MMOs.  I find killing things distasteful, and your thuggery offensive.  

Lighten up, Francis.

And these various side debates are an excellent example of why mmos (to date) can't compete with SP's.  Sps pick one side of any group and courts them.  mmos shoot for both sides of mutable arguments and then wonder why they don't have the time/resources to implement multiple non-complimentary working and polished feature sets and can't seem to please anybody.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    GTA 5 proves that mmos are a failing genre. Just think, in one week GTA 5 sold bazillions more than any mmo existing on the market today. As long as developers keep on catering to casuals the genre will fail miserably. MMOs are not for casuals.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ThomasN7
    GTA 5 proves that mmos are a failing genre. Just think, in one week GTA 5 sold bazillions more than any mmo existing on the market today. As long as developers keep on catering to casuals the genre will fail miserably. MMOs are not for casuals.

GTA5 made a billion dollars in 3 days. Thats not just better than mmos; thats better than any entertainment media in the history of everything lol.

Originally posted by Foomerang

GTA5 made a billion dollars in 3 days. Thats not just better than mmos; thats better than any entertainment media in the history of everything lol.

Various gambling ventures hedge fund investments could prob compete. but lol yea agreed no mmo is even in the same weight class.  More like peewee league

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Foomerang

LOL exactly my point. You know what the next best games are going to be for players, Destiny and The Division and I thnk The Division is going to be even better than Destiny. These pc mmo devs just don't get it.