Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why GTA5 is Better Than Most MMOs

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Agoden
    Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    It's not console hate for all of us.. But i figure a PC version is pretty much guaranteed, they're just not saying so to get more console sales.

I really don't want to play a game as great as GTA with a controller and auto aim.

I just like to play video games. I will learn to play a good game for the sake of playing a good game. Whether its a controller, kb/mouse, joystick, track ball, doesn't matter. For the record, GTAV controls extremely well with a gamepad. To say that it would be better with a kb/mouse setup, without actually playing it...not very insightful.

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    How is wanting a PC version of GTAV hate?No one said they hate consoles until after your statement just that they want a PC version.Lots of people here own both a PC and consoles but prefer games on PC when they can get them.

For me it's not just the superior technical specs allowing for a smoother experience and better fidelity but because of the modding community.You have obviously never checked out the amazing stuff the PC modding community has done with GTAIV or you wouldn't be so dismissive of people's personal preference for a PC version.

Some of us have the patience to wait for a game to come out on our platform of choice if it's a possibility.

In case you haven't noticed, almost everyone on this site openly hates consoles.

It was a light hearted remark. Calm yourself heh.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I have to disagree with the article.  Enjoy playing as  thug ?  Personally I find that quite distasteful, hence I hardly think it is worthwhile attempting to make it appear like a good game. 

Find a decent game to laud, not that game.

You totally missed on what he was saying didn't you..?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Foomerang

How is wanting a PC version of GTAV hate?No one said they hate consoles until after your statement just that they want a PC version.Lots of people here own both a PC and consoles but prefer games on PC when they can get them.

For me it's not just the superior technical specs allowing for a smoother experience and better fidelity but because of the modding community.You have obviously never checked out the amazing stuff the PC modding community has done with GTAIV or you wouldn't be so dismissive of people's personal preference for a PC version.

Some of us have the patience to wait for a game to come out on our platform of choice if it's a possibility.

In case you haven't noticed, almost everyone on this site openly hates consoles.

It was a light hearted remark. Calm yourself heh.

No only a vocal minority hate consoles vehemently and post over and over about it when they can.I would agree that there may be still a PC user majority on this site but it's much smaller than it was even only a couple years ago and the majority of that majority doesn't hate consoles and probably owns at least one for exclusives.

You may have meant it as a lighthearted remark but it was worded as dismissive if not slightly insulting insinuating hate on anyone choosing to wait for a PC version and saying they weren't being true gamers.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Drakynn Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    How is wanting a PC version of GTAV hate?No one said they hate consoles until after your statement just that they want a PC version.Lots of people here own both a PC and consoles but prefer games on PC when they can get them.   For me it's not just the superior technical specs allowing for a smoother experience and better fidelity but because of the modding community.You have obviously never checked out the amazing stuff the PC modding community has done with GTAIV or you wouldn't be so dismissive of people's personal preference for a PC version. Some of us have the patience to wait for a game to come out on our platform of choice if it's a possibility.
    In case you haven't noticed, almost everyone on this site openly hates consoles.   It was a light hearted remark. Calm yourself heh.
    No only a vocal minority hate consoles vehemently and post over and over about it when they can.I would agree that there may be still a PC user majority on this site but it's much smaller than it was even only a couple years ago and the majority of that majority doesn't hate consoles and probably owns at least one for exclusives.

You may have meant it as a lighthearted remark but it was worded as dismissive if not slightly insulting insinuating hate on anyone choosing to wait for a PC version and saying they weren't being true gamers.

I apologize.
  • SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    PC please!!!!!!!
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

How is wanting a PC version of GTAV hate?No one said they hate consoles until after your statement just that they want a PC version.Lots of people here own both a PC and consoles but prefer games on PC when they can get them.   For me it's not just the superior technical specs allowing for a smoother experience and better fidelity but because of the modding community.You have obviously never checked out the amazing stuff the PC modding community has done with GTAIV or you wouldn't be so dismissive of people's personal preference for a PC version. Some of us have the patience to wait for a game to come out on our platform of choice if it's a possibility.
    In case you haven't noticed, almost everyone on this site openly hates consoles.   It was a light hearted remark. Calm yourself heh.

I apologize.

I'm sorry all apologies must be submitted in triplicate and notarized.They will then be submitted to rigorous vetting by the NSA,lost on a tarmac somewhere in Asia for a couple of weeks,misfiled by the VA and finally delivered by courier pigeon to our offices and debated over by our board of directors after which we promise to get back to you within 2-3 bureaucracy  days.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I guess because MMO's still think they can replace all NPC's with people. That only appears to work for EVE.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    It's funny how some people won't play the game, because of moral reasons.  Then they play a fantasy game instead where they basically play a sword wielding mass murderer of all wildlife and humanoids.  Ganging up with other sword wielding murderers to kill other gangs of sword wielding murderers.  Their main motivation is to kill other things, to rob bigger and better weapons from more powerful creatures, so that they can rob even bigger and better weapons, to kill and rob from even more powerful creatures.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.

that would be a pretty expensive game for me, I don't have a console and not really prepared to purchase one just for one game, even if it is amazing

Originally posted by djazzy
    that would be a pretty expensive game for me, I don't have a console and not really prepared to purchase one just for one game, even if it is amazing

hehe yeah thats true. so many great console exclusives though. it would be worth it in the long run.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I think alot of people misunderstood the point of this article. And I agree MMO's could make their worlds alot ALOT better.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.

This

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

This game had a 250 million dollar budget, none of which has to go towards the massive server upkeep that MMOs have to deal with. I'll admit I don't know much about server loads and costs, so I could be wrong, but I imagine a server having to perpetually keep track of all this NPC AI and details etc 24/7 (besides server maintenance periods) would be pretty expensive. Unlike single player consoles, an MMO server can't just be turned off when you, the single player, aren't playing at the moment.

That said, it would be nice if MMOs at least tried to have a living breathing world with more complexity than "every aggressive npc tries to kill you on sight and unaggressive ones don't actually do anything."

I bet they have to even pay more money on servers then any other MMO atm beside wow - since I can be sure off, more people will try out the online mode of gta then any MMO ever experienced.

The game sold even more times then the developer even thought off, right in the first 2 days they had to stock up their "rockstar social club" site, to not be laggy, and its just a website which does not need much serverspace i guess,

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi
    Originally posted by Cliff1963

I have to disagree with the article.  Enjoy playing as  thug ?  Personally I find that quite distasteful, hence I hardly think it is worthwhile attempting to make it appear like a good game. 

Totally agree, played it at a friends last weekend, couldn't see the fun in robbing, killing etc. On the wrong side of my morals. Too realistic for my taste to play a thug. That said I have to say my personal faves in RPG's and MMO's have always been the Paladins and Clerics, not the Thiefs. So it's a personal opinion, not saying it's a bad game.

Yaah, but just imagine, Rockstar, and it's giantic balls of dragon-fire-steel, takes the same talent and determination and polish and sets foot on the fantasy world... one can dream :D

So kuddos to Rockstar, once again, delivering it right!

In their new game rockstar seriously delivered balls in my opinion, so many satires and so much sarcasm in the radio's/missions/ even the advertises at the roads. Which all focus on the current pop culture and the country the game takes "part of". in some parts i even thought they had a family guy friend as designer.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I seldom agree completely with Bill Murphy, actually...this may be the first time.  However, I do in this instance I 100% agree. 

The problem is, we as a community (I number myself among the problem here) keep buying this sub-par junk that is thrown out there.  Or support the 'free to play' BS by using the cash shop for nifty little outfits none of which I need.

I think we are stuck with mediocre junk until, as a community, we stop supporting 3rd and 4th rate games.  I don't expect that it will ever happen, but man what a message to send to the big game companies if it were to happen.

At any rate, spot on Mr. Murphy, imo anyway.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by Agoden

It's not console hate for all of us.. But i figure a PC version is pretty much guaranteed, they're just not saying so to get more console sales.

I really don't want to play a game as great as GTA with a controller and auto aim.

I just like to play video games. I will learn to play a good game for the sake of playing a good game. Whether its a controller, kb/mouse, joystick, track ball, doesn't matter. For the record, GTAV controls extremely well with a gamepad. To say that it would be better with a kb/mouse setup, without actually playing it...not very insightful.

Well for me... it's this one fact....

I suck with a controller and as the old saying goes "you cant teach an old dog new tricks"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Agoden Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    It's not console hate for all of us.. But i figure a PC version is pretty much guaranteed, they're just not saying so to get more console sales.   I really don't want to play a game as great as GTA with a controller and auto aim.
    Well for me... it's this one fact....

I suck with a controller and as the old saying goes "you cant teach an old dog new tricks"

I read this, then looked at you avatar. hehe good stuff :)
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

hehe yeah thats true. so many great console exclusives though. it would be worth it in the long run.

well I actually preordered a PS4, so that will be my first console that I've had since I had an NES way back when

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

You should have read the original post.  You would...you just owned yourself....hard.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by djazzy Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    well I actually preordered a PS4, so that will be my first console that I've had since I had an NES way back when

nice! congrats on the purchase. I hope you get a lotta bang for your buck.
  • AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

yea, you can add alot more stuff when you dont have to worry about bandwith and whatnot.

32 player aint massive.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Kudos on the article. I agree to a point however the issue comes with readily available nuances you can find in the real world to mimic in a game based on the real world. Trying to simulate that same level of detail in a made up fantasy world is a lot more difficult. There are no smart phones, golf courses, hair salons, gyms, car washes, airports, personal computers, radio stations, tv stations, websites, etc., etc. that have fantasy-based counterparts. What's more, finding players who have first hand experience on fantasy-based recreational activities on the same level as they do real world recreational activities will always turn up as a failed comparison.

Mimicking things in a video game that you do and see everyday is not a hard task, as long as you have the money. Making up things to do that you don't see and experience everyday for a video game on the same level is damn near impossible. It's kinda like comparing a real language to a fictional one. For every word you create it will ultimately be based on a real word you're drawing a comparison from that fits in the context of the setting for which you are creating the language for. It stops at the point where you have no use for certain real words as they serve no purpose in the fictional language you're creating. I hope that makes sense to you.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    And rest assured, that if our online worlds don't strive to become something more like the famed GTA's magnificent cities, we're already doomed.

And if they do--shoot for or even attempt to contend with 250 million dollar budgets--we're doomed even more quickly.

Setting an impossibly high bar with your usual gung-ho enthusiasm here, BM.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Ive been having a blast with this game wanted to wait for PC but I really wanted to play the game, its probably one of the more immersive games ive played in quite a while with the exception of The Last Of Us. I like how I can just go off and do whatever I want, last night on Franklin, Michael and Trevor for 2 hrs I did nothing but sit in the strip club trying to take home as many strippers as I could and get their numbers afterwords :P I know its fluff but its small diversons like this that make games fun, the rampages for Trevor, killing rednecks, soldiers, hipsters, gangsters etc another great side attraction :P , the OP is right though GTA 5 is better than most MMOs too bad most studios havent picked up that hint yet, the major studios keep pumping out the same old tired formula of a former era, thankfully the indies are taking the reins and giving us more open ended experiences (Star Citizen, The Repopulation)