Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why GTA5 is Better Than Most MMOs

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Even though it's a solo-only affair until the multiplayer patch drops, Bill Murphy's been delving into Los Santos for the past week or so and has made a startling discovery: there's a whole lot more to the world of this single-player city than there is to the wide world of many MMOs. Read on to find out why Grand Theft Auto V, despite the controversy surrounding the IP, may be an example of world building for MMO developers to start noticing.

You're free to disagree with me, but keep in mind I'm not saying that all MMOs need to add in prostitution, drugs, and set themselves in a modern day setting. All I'm really saying is that GTAV has more believability to its world in one city block than most MMOs do in however many square miles they're touting. Granted, GTA's massive success gave it a $250 million budget that most MMOs can only dream of, but the road to great online worlds is not an easy one and striving for better immersion and realism should be a priority.

Read more of The List: Why GTA5 is Better Than Most MMOs.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Gimme this on PC!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    ditto

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by snoocky
    Gimme this on PC!

^

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I wish horses and mounts moved as fast as the gta automobiles.

The thing I cannot stand about these "epic mounts" is that they generally run 10% faster than basic foot speed.

MMOs need to be huge and fast paced.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Until they get rid of GFWL and actually give us a good PC version, I doubt I will ever play this game.   Of course based on my requirements, I think never would be more appropriate. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Like all successfull SP games GTA franchise is targeted at a specific set of demographics.  Todays Mmo's on the other try to cram everyone under the sun into the same tent and are lucky to keep a few hundred k.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I have to disagree with the article.  Enjoy playing as  thug ?  Personally I find that quite distasteful, hence I hardly think it is worthwhile attempting to make it appear like a good game. 

Find a decent game to laud, not that game.

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Enjoy playing as  thug ?  Personally I find that quite distasteful, hence I hardly think it is worthwhile attempting to make it appear like a good game. Find a decent game to laud, not that game.
    I don't play a thug. I'm more into scuba diving and tennis ;)
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Over past couple of years ive seen gamepress and sites saying this about any new huge IP'S thats its good and we should play it.

OP sorry but i realy don't believe a word your saying here and will investigate myself first deeply, before i even remotely making a disicion on what you so called game guru's have to say about new games.

Even compare a game with only 16 players thats lightyears away from true mmo's it's a totally different game, sound to me rediculous lol

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    yeah if you can stand hearing the work f*ck used every three seconds... this in itself is probably the only reason why i don't like this game more....i swear like a sailor but this game is over the top with it to the point of annoyance.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.

I don't hate on consoles, I just hate controller's

Developer's

Why cant we play console games with a mouse and keyboard?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

How I would love to try an MMORPG made by Rockstar

Red Dead style

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

This game had a 250 million dollar budget, none of which has to go towards the massive server upkeep that MMOs have to deal with. I'll admit I don't know much about server loads and costs, so I could be wrong, but I imagine a server having to perpetually keep track of all this NPC AI and details etc 24/7 (besides server maintenance periods) would be pretty expensive. Unlike single player consoles, an MMO server can't just be turned off when you, the single player, aren't playing at the moment.

That said, it would be nice if MMOs at least tried to have a living breathing world with more complexity than "every aggressive npc tries to kill you on sight and unaggressive ones don't actually do anything."

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

Don't feel sorry for us. We're well aware of the superior nature of our decision. We will not support a platform that perpetuates and reduces overall effort put forth into a game. Our superior machines, peripherals and cooling systems will always be here...waiting for the unrestricted UI, the vast open world, the unbridled processing power required and the team of overly excited developers that know, consoles CHEAPEN the gaming the industry, allows for LAZINESS and SHORTCUTS as a standard. Depressingly  limited open world, and a laughable total player count. Until then, we'll keep watching everything that "could be" and continue gaming with everything that already is.. Better than a console. In every possible way. Because we evolved from Nintendo. That was the gateway, the stepping stone to a better world, more choices, thousands of players and choices. Consoles used to be.. PC is now.

• Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60

I have to disagree with the article.  Enjoy playing as  thug ?  Personally I find that quite distasteful, hence I hardly think it is worthwhile attempting to make it appear like a good game. 

Totally agree, played it at a friends last weekend, couldn't see the fun in robbing, killing etc. On the wrong side of my morals. Too realistic for my taste to play a thug. That said I have to say my personal faves in RPG's and MMO's have always been the Paladins and Clerics, not the Thiefs. So it's a personal opinion, not saying it's a bad game.

Originally posted by Krighton
    Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    Don't feel sorry for us. We're well aware of the superior nature of our decision. We will not support a platform that perpetuates and reduces overall effort put forth into a game. Our superior machines, peripherals and cooling systems will always be here...waiting for the unrestricted UI, the vast open world, the unbridled processing power required and the team overly excited developers that know, consoles CHEAPEN the gaming the industry, allows for LAZY and SHORTCUTS as a standard. Until, we'll keep gaming and watching everything that "could be" and continue gaming with everything that already is.. Better than a console. In every possible way.

yeesh. third reich much?

I play everything on everything.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Cliff1963

Totally agree, played it at a friends last weekend, couldn't see the fun in robbing, killing etc. On the wrong side of my morals. Too realistic for my taste to play a thug. That said I have to say my personal faves in RPG's and MMO's have always been the Paladins and Clerics, not the Thiefs. So it's a personal opinion, not saying it's a bad game.

Yaah, but just imagine, Rockstar, and it's giantic balls of dragon-fire-steel, takes the same talent and determination and polish and sets foot on the fantasy world... one can dream :D

So kuddos to Rockstar, once again, delivering it right!

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034

Why is GTA 5 better than "Most" mmo's? - Answer - Most mmo's are pretty bad. I would say there are only 10 or so that are even playable. So a game that launches in 2013 should easily be better than most mmo's. Not only that but consider how many mmo's there are and the fact that there are only 10 or so decent mmo's and presto the game can be considered better than most mmo's

- Personally I found the game to be to ignorant to play. I sold it on ebay already. I just couldn't bring myself to continue to watch the future of America on my tv screen.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Cliff1963

Like I said extremely well targeted at a specific type of gamer,  I'm not a GTA fan myself anymore but I recognize the franchises aptitude on determining and reaching a target audience.  Sine the OP was about the differences between success of sp vs mmo design I merely pointed out the most glaring difference.  IE SP's target(they know who they want and how to get them),  mmos shotgun with the widest choke posssible(aim somewhere near the barn and hope you hit something).

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Well we have this simple fact because it's a singleplayer game, so so much more can be done by the game developers.

Now lets see OP's Topic again when the multiplayer GTA Online kicks in and see what has remained from it's Original and see how much can work in a online setting.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by laserit

I don't hate on consoles, I just hate controller's

Developer's

Why cant we play console games with a mouse and keyboard?

I agree, the controller is a deal breaker. But yeah The game is one of the highest rated games. I might try it on pc one day.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

It's not console hate for all of us.. But i figure a PC version is pretty much guaranteed, they're just not saying so to get more console sales.

I really don't want to play a game as great as GTA with a controller and auto aim.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by Krighton

Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    Don't feel sorry for us. We're well aware of the superior nature of our decision. We will not support a platform that perpetuates and reduces overall effort put forth into a game. Our superior machines, peripherals and cooling systems will always be here...waiting for the unrestricted UI, the vast open world, the unbridled processing power required and the team overly excited developers that know, consoles CHEAPEN the gaming the industry, allows for LAZY and SHORTCUTS as a standard. Until, we'll keep gaming and watching everything that "could be" and continue gaming with everything that already is.. Better than a console. In every possible way.
    yeesh. third reich much?

I play everything on everything.

lol, where have you been the pc devs have  long ago cheapen down games and created the simple mode aka casual gamer.

I mean come on they have a hello kitty online mmo....

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

How is wanting a PC version of GTAV hate?No one said they hate consoles until after your statement just that they want a PC version.Lots of people here own both a PC and consoles but prefer games on PC when they can get them.

For me it's not just the superior technical specs allowing for a smoother experience and better fidelity but because of the modding community.You have obviously never checked out the amazing stuff the PC modding community has done with GTAIV or you wouldn't be so dismissive of people's personal preference for a PC version.

Some of us have the patience to wait for a game to come out on our platform of choice if it's a possibility.