Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you think this holds up today?

monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I bought this laptop 2 years ago and I was wondering what the hardware vets think of it today. How does it hold up to today's standard?

Specs:

MOTHERBOARD:Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard

NETWORK:Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card

MEMORY:8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory [+69] (Corsair or Major Brand)

CD:8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (MS17612)

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Mobile Processor 2.00 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 2.90 GHz

HDD:750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+48]

NOTEBOOK:MSI MS17612 Gaming Notebook 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 16:9 Display w/ Built-in 720p HD Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

UPS1:OPTI-UPS VS575B 575VA/345W Uninterruptible Power Supply [+46]

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM PCIe Video

Lately I've been considering upgrading but if there really isn't a huge jump in gaming performance out there then I'll hold onto this baby for a little while longer.

Thanks in advance!

-M

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I'd say hold on to it.  Game developers usually try to make their games compatible with a fairly large variety of systems. It's not cutting edge, but if they games you're currently playing are not running into issues (which I can't really see happening with what's out there right now) then keep saving money.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by monarc333
    I bought this laptop 2 years ago and I was wondering what the hardware vets think of it today. How does it hold up to today's standard?Specs:MOTHERBOARD:Intel HM65 Chipset MainboardNETWORK:Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network CardMEMORY:8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory [+69] (Corsair or Major Brand)CD:8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (MS17612)CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Mobile Processor 2.00 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 2.90 GHzHDD:750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+48]NOTEBOOK:MSI MS17612 Gaming Notebook 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 16:9 Display w/ Built-in 720p HD Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC AdapterUPS1:OPTI-UPS VS575B 575VA/345W Uninterruptible Power Supply [+46]VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM PCIe VideoLately I've been considering upgrading but if there really isn't a huge jump in gaming performance out there then I'll hold onto this baby for a little while longer.Thanks in advance!-M

Many laptop gamers already have a huge problem running Skyrim decent if they install mods let alone try ENB it to get better graphics its just to damanding(this i read everyday on the mod forums-example CTD problem).

But if your not planning on modding alot and play most games release today your ok.

Maybe full battlefield and crysis games that are DX11 is hard to run.

Next year full DX11 games starting to come like The Witcher 3 they prolly start problems for your laptops.

1.5 gig on your videocard can handle games but im affraid in near future you need at least 3gig+ to run games on high settings.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Just disable all sleep measure in bios!(make sure to have a base to cool it!this done ,window should detect invariant tsc and use it!this should make everything smoother!I would also disable paging file and paging executive in regedit .with all these it should feel smoother.(I am assuming you want to keep it)one drawback?on battery ?it won't last !but your gaming experience should be of way way better quality ,what should improve?you should notice less lag ping wise(ms)graphic should look way creamier (smoother)I doubt you all gain 3 fps but this isn't what the intention is .the intention is to make you like what you see .and this should do it.make sure to create a back up first .this way if it isnt enough you just revert and buy a new laptop!
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by monarc333
    I bought this laptop 2 years ago and I was wondering what the hardware vets think of it today. How does it hold up to today's standard?

Specs:

MOTHERBOARD:Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard

NETWORK:Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card

MEMORY:8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory [+69] (Corsair or Major Brand)

CD:8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (MS17612)

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Mobile Processor 2.00 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 2.90 GHz

HDD:750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+48]

NOTEBOOK:MSI MS17612 Gaming Notebook 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 16:9 Display w/ Built-in 720p HD Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

UPS1:OPTI-UPS VS575B 575VA/345W Uninterruptible Power Supply [+46]

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM PCIe Video

Lately I've been considering upgrading but if there really isn't a huge jump in gaming performance out there then I'll hold onto this baby for a little while longer.

Thanks in advance!

-M

Many laptop gamers already have a huge problem running Skyrim decent if they install mods let alone try ENB it to get better graphics its just to damanding(this i read everyday on the mod forums-example CTD problem).

But if your not planning on modding alot and play most games release today your ok.

Maybe full battlefield and crysis games that are DX11 is hard to run.

Next year full DX11 games starting to come like The Witcher 3 they prolly start problems for your laptops.

1.5 gig on your videocard can handle games but im affraid in near future you need at least 3gig+ to run games on high settings.

Err i was able to run skyrim on my portable labtop with an HD4000 and a few mobs... not High rez but still medium bar settings.  My wife's 670MX (QM 3630) can run pretty much anything you throw at it.  But yes i agree with this, your laptop is getting old, but you can still pull another year out of it just fine i would imagine.  The Portable GPUs are making leaps and bounds in performance these generations.  Next gen Nvidia's 800s will be on a new platform (so will AMD), so i would hold out until then just because you still have some beef in that machine... my 2 cents though.