Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: A Realm Revitalized

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a game living its second life, a rarity in an ever-increasingly crowded market. It's rare to get another chance at magic. In our latest review, we take a look at FFXIV: ARR to see how this iteration pans out. Read on and then offer your critique in the comments.

I am willing to admit I was wrong. I did not think that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn would be as successful as it has become. Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida was not the only one to undergauge fan interest in Square Enix’s reimagined title. I assumed that most of the original XIV players would check the game out (it was free for them afterall) but all of the unique new users is staggering. The reason why the game has been so successful though at this point really is not a secret. The game is great. It also helps that every other big name MMO due out in the second half of 2013 pushed into 2014. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - A Realm Revitalized.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Good scoreing and right on with that ability lag. I really really wish that it wasnt present, I cant get past it, but if you're someone who can, this is a great place to call home.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

OK I'm not arguing for or against the ultimate success/failure of FF.  But isn't it a tad pre-mature to be making sweeping statements barely a month past re-launch? TOR at this point still had over a mil subs.

That along with this statement "Gameplay is the biggest detractor in A Realm Reborn" seems a bit of a dichotomy with being "revitalized"  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't gameplay one of the core factors to enjoyment of a game?

• CheookCheook Member Posts: 16
    So far I'm having a blast. But the servers need some love (ability lag, lag in general) and they could do some fine tuning to the chat and duty finder system. Overall, I agree with the review.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by BMBender

OK I'm not arguing for or against the ultimate success/failure of FF.  But isn't it a tad pre-mature to be making sweeping statements barely a month past re-launch? TOR at this point still had over a mil subs.

That along with this statement "Gameplay is the biggest detractor in A Realm Reborn" seems a bit of a dichotomy with being "revitalized"  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't gameplay one of the core factors to enjoyment of a game?

1M Subs after 30 days is meaningless until you compare it to the boxed sales. The number that was important was how many people had canceled their subs 1 month in.  So 1 mil subs after 30 days is a lot, but considering they sold 2M boxes, now the number isn't so impressive.

Unfortunately, I've no idea what FF's numbers are beyond just over 1M initial accounts. But I can tell you that as recently as earlier this week, I was still seeing log in queues. The next milestone date will be 10/7 since mos tof the free time is over on 10/6.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Good scoreing and right on with that ability lag. I really really wish that it wasnt present, I cant get past it, but if you're someone who can, this is a great place to call home.

I don't know what crappy internet you people have but i have zero skill lag and i play from Europe. Maybe want to check out your provider.

• NaddabNaddab Member Posts: 5
    I think the Value will be determined with how fast they can roll out patches. If patch 2.1 drops with the amount of content they are previewing, and they Square can consistently put out content every 2-3 months the $15 monthly fee will be worth it.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Yeah, I think it doesn't make any sense to only look at the time between patches as the meter for added value.

A patch every month for 1x content or a patch every three months for 3.5x content? You really have to take the volume of the patches into account to understand what you're getting for your money.

The lag issues are not universal, nor does the majority suffer from them, but they are there. However, for a game that hasn't been cleared by the hardcore in a month post-release 7 for gameplay could be as well bumped up to 8. The issue is not the "lag" either for why they haven't been cleared, it's pure and distilled lack of skill that stops people in that instance.

I didn't notice whether the horrible customer service was mentioned, but I think it should be.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Originally posted by DMKano

Aesthetics IMO should be 9 (textures are really bad in some spots - no way this deserves 10) longevity should be 8 - social 7.

Overall the score IMO is around 7.3, again the game was score was too generous.

If you compare the aesthetics to the MMO genre - not something like The Witcher 2 - 10 is most accurate number. It is the cream of the crop of MMO visuals.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Longevity a 10?

Take one combat based job to 50, then see how many quest's you have left to level a second combat based job, then, once you have finished grinding fates over and over again, see how much you really feel like levelling a third combat job, never mind all of them.

Even if you pay the sub fee that allows 8 character slots, knowing what grind lays ahead will put many people off making alts.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I think the review is fair, the usual haters are hating on this review so no surprise there.

I've heard a couple things about this "ability lag", but no one in my FC experiences it consistently.  I can expand that same statement to a half dozen link shells and dozens more in the friend list.  It's probably not as widespread as the review hints.  There is lag, but it's pretty agnostic about who lags and when.

The longevity is deserved.  People that don't see it, don't like crafting or gathering.  That's fine, but perhaps the game isn't for you.  There is a distinct grind between Titan HM and BCoB to fill out your Darklight gear prior to raiding BCoB.  Fortunately, that's really only one grind and once you get the gear you are only on the hook for 8 AK runs per week.  That leaves oodles of time to do pretty much anything else.  I personally plan on gearing up both a SCH and WHM, but there's no real need to do something like that.

I'm curious to see how much content they can pump out in 2.1.  Adding things to this game is what will define the sub rate.  The core of the game is clearly solid.

Originally posted by Byrhofen

Longevity a 10?

Take one combat based job to 50, then see how many quest's you have left to level a second combat based job, then, once you have finished grinding fates over and over again, see how much you really feel like levelling a third combat job, never mind all of them.

Even if you pay the sub fee that allows 8 character slots, knowing what grind lays ahead will put many people off making alts.

Leveling two battle classes simultaneously is quite easy and there is little need to grind.

But that's just my personal experience grounded in reality.

I respectfully disagree. The visual distance is very short - the zones are tiny, the textures are far too low res. Animation sliding/gliding while walking is abundant. 

10 is perfection - this is not perfect which is why 9 is more accurate IMO.

There are aspects of other games that are better - AoC for example - visual range and godrays are done better, also much less sliding. 

10 would be done better than anything on the market, and FFARR falls a hair short - again 9 IMO.

You can pick out games that do a certain aspect of the visuals better (aside from the music) but they all fall short in everything else. FFXIV:ARR is the most balanced effort out there in the MMORPG genre and thus deserves a 10 out of 10. Other MMO's may excel in one area but fall short in everything else, thus they don't deserve a 10.

10 is not perfection - 10 is better than what most MMO's can accomplish overall.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    If at first you dont succeed, copy as much from WoW as you can the next time.......
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Your longevity score is about three too high.  I would consider longevity to be everything after your single player story line is done.  There, the game turns very grindy.  Doing every quest and dungeon in the game will not get you max level.  You need to grind fates.  That is for your first class, every other class after that has 1 quest every 5 levels, with fate running left to grind xp.  To advance in gear, you need to do the one dungeon that drops the needed currency 8 times a week.   Not a whole lot of variety there.  There are some achievements of the grinding variety for metered content, which I find odd.  Such as do 10,000 of a certain type of repeatable quest.  Since you can do 6 a day, this achievement will take 4.5 years to complete.  Variety of advancement paths is a key to longevity, and the game sorely lacks it at the moment. 
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I disagree, you are confusing skill lag with the fact that instant abilities don't go off instantly, they take the animation length to go off.

You can tell if you have 'skill lag' by when an ability hits a monster that has an instant animation.  Also, jump off a cliff, how long does it take the damage to register?  Instantly right?

Exactly.

Edit:  I've not had ANY problems with interrupts, I'm a paladin, it's all we do. So I'm sorry Suzie but I disagree with your assessment.  I've literally NEVER had this problem, maybe you are trying to use an 'instant' and thinking that the animation doesn't relate to it, which it DOES.

The ANIMATION interrupts, not you hitting the button, so you need to time the animation.

Thanks for reading.

This is by design, it is not an accident, you don't have 'skill lag' you just have not adjusted to the games rules yet.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Alamareth

I've heard a couple things about this "ability lag", but no one in my FC experiences it consistently.  I can expand that same statement to a half dozen link shells and dozens more in the friend list.  It's probably not as widespread as the review hints.  There is lag, but it's pretty agnostic about who lags and when.

In my FC ability lag is server side and its very obvious when it happens as it affects all party members in different parts of US with different ISPs.

Example in dungeon - boss puts a red circle on ground - we all run out of it and all is fine, but every once in a while the game PAUSES for all of us (Roadrunner, ATT, Comcast, Google Fiber - different providers) - after the game unpauses (about 1 sec) we all get hit even 2 of us where not even CLOSE to the damn circle.

This is completely random when it happens, sometimes we have dungeon runs with no issues and sometimes it happens several times per run.

That's server lag, not ability lag...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

All depends on your viewpoint, of course.

I see it this way:

"TOR at this point had already lost almost half of it's players from launch"

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

All depends on your viewpoint, of course.

I see it this way:

"TOR at this point had already lost almost half of it's players from launch"

I'm not disputing that I just feel it's a bit early to be saying it's a success   it's a failure.  Then the whole gameplay the biggest detractor statement in the same article it's called a success feels odd.  Maybe it's just me but game play is a reflection of enjoyment/satisfaction derived from playing the game.  Which I always thought was the whole point of playing games...silly me

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    It's a glowing review that says everything else is good, but says gameplay is "the biggest detractor" and basically also says there's nothing that can be done by Square to improve the gameplay (or that they've given up trying, presumably because it'd be too hard or impossible).  That's.... kinda disconcerting, I think.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Theocritus
    If at first you dont succeed, copy as much from WoW as you can the next time.......

Have you logged into the game? I would be very interested in your FFXIV - WoW comparison. The only thing I see they have in common is quests. Very interested in how you compare these two very dissimilar games.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

I'm not disputing that I just feel it's a bit early to be saying it's a success   it's a failure.  Then the whole gameplay the biggest detractor statement in the same article it's called a success feels odd.  Maybe it's just me but game play is a reflection of enjoyment/satisfaction derived from playing the game.  Which I always thought was the whole point of playing games...silly me

Have you ever played a Final Fantasy game? The gameplay is not the strong point of those titles.

Audiovisuals, story, strong presentation matters much, much more.

Granted, even with a 7 this game can challenge an MMO player just like any other MMO. So I don't think the 7 has to do with the difficulty level, unless the reviewer wants to give every MMO since 2005 a 7 in gameplay.

• SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

As long as we get content updates every 3-4 months I think the sub is more than justified. On the off-chance I run out of things to do I have a big list of Steam sale buys to keep me going :)

Also interesting that you make the comparison to TSW.

Firstly, TSW's problems wasn't simply keeping the numbers they need, it was getting those numbers in the first place, with its first quarter's sales being very, very poor to the point of almost destroying FunCom.

Secondly, the sub fee for FFXIV is much better priced than TSW's, at least for UK players, TSW's sub price is pretty high. FFXIV can cost as little as £7.39 a month or £8.99 for the option with more character slots. Compares favourably to TSW's £11.49 per month. Even with multiplan options FFXIV's 6 months sub still marginally beats TSW's 12 month sub (£7.39 vs £7.99).

Lastly, TSW's content updates a) weren't all that big and b) soon started to fall off schedule. Those promised monthly updates have become 7 updates in 14 months, with the last one being almost 3 months ago. If SE sticks to 3 or 4 major contents a year that's good enough for me.

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Have you ever played a Final Fantasy game? The gameplay is not the strong point of those titles.

Audiovisuals, story, strong presentation matters much, much more.

Granted, even with a 7 this game can challenge an MMO player just like any other MMO. So I don't think the 7 has to do with the difficulty level, unless the reviewer wants to give every MMO since 2005 a 7 in gameplay.

since when did gameplay = purely  challenge

game

1 /ge?m/ Show Spelled [geym] Show IPA noun, adjective, gam·er, gam·est, verb, gamed, gam·ing.

noun
    an amusement or pastime: children's games.

the material or equipment used in playing certain games: a store selling toys and games.

a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

a single occasion of such an activity, or a definite portion of one: the final game of the season; a rubber of three games at bridge.

the number of points required to win a game.

play

/ple?/ Show Spelled [pley] Show IPA

noun

a dramatic composition or piece; drama.

a dramatic performance, as on the stage.

exercise or activity for amusement or recreation.

fun or jest, as opposed to seriousness: I said it merely in play.

a pun.

• AzorithAzorith Member UncommonPosts: 188

Those of you having issues with ability lag, I would recommend downloading Leatrix Latency Fix. It increases the frequency of TCP packet sending, and reduces the effect of that lag tremendously.

• azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

I don't know what crappy internet you people have but i have zero skill lag and i play from Europe. Maybe want to check out your provider.

Dude, EVERYONE has the ability lag, that you can't see it or understand what it is doesn't mean that it's not there. [mod edit]