Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Already getting burnt out; Thoughts:

Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112

First of all, I'm not a huge FF fan, don't play console games, remember how much of a failure I heard this game was years ago. But I came in with a handful of info and an open mind.

I'll be the first to tell you, I've only spent about 5-6 hours in game.

I have a level 10 Lancer, and 6 Gladiator, but I'm already wavering, and heres why, feel free to chime in.

1) I hate the armor models. Every class other than Lancer and Gladiator looks horrible. I thought about making an archer, but disco pants, feathers, and brimmed hats doesn't appeal to me. This 'sticky nostalgic' idea was horrible. I guess many FF fans may like it, but I thought that the Gladiator's armor looks straight up like a 2013 masterpiece, while Archer or other classes look like a 1970 Joke.

2) Hard to keep going already by 10. Quests are all run to A to B to C to B to A to C. All instanced mini zones, and at times for a new player you spend more time clicking on little zones to see which one you need to go to than you do actually slaying stuff/having fun.

3) Socialization. In my 5-6 hours in game on Behemoth I saw 100's of players. Never once did I interact or see any of them chatting/interacting. At the 'FATES' we would all zerg then walk away. The website forums doesn't have SERVER forums, or guild forums easily found. And I didn't see many people actively recruiting lower people to guilds etc, now I understand this may be better at higher levels but I didnt feel immersed in the community right away it seemed like a lot of instanced maps with tons of noobs running all over with no purpose.

4) Combat.

Honestly , the combat is slow. I LIKE the animations, but its like 2-3 second cooldowns on main abilities, feels rather dull and honestly I'm sorry - outdated.

-

I know this is all level 10/6 review, but honestly I've seen most of the main city, done 10-15 'fates' or *COUGH* Rifts, and the combat, community, website, social, and esp. armor hasn't impressed me.

Right now I rerolled to gladiator because thats the only armor models I can see liking at lvl 50, thaumaturg was ok to be honest, we'll see. I'll have to see how dungeons are and stuff.

Does anyone else feel this way at first? Does it get better after a while? Honestly I would prefer grinding and killing stuff over running here there here there, I feel like all im doing is running and its really lame.

I realize that this is all early game stuff - because I've been max level in a lot of games, it may seem absurd but think about it -

You release a fail game and then re-release it 5 years later, and my first 5-6 hours have me yawning and unconvinced? You would think they would focus heavily on the early levels to make sure people see a changed or by god - revolutionary game, and instead im sitting here trying to bite the bullet hoping later game is decent.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i like all the armor styles, what i dont like is the lack of variety. There needs to be more designs for all levels, classes and specific jobs.

I agree with you on the combat. I hate the slow combat due to long global cooldown but i like everything else about the combat. I hope they change that GCD because the CD decrease you get from gear stats isnt enough.

Socialization has been plagued in every single mmo, every single one of them. This is no exception here. With that said, i decided to socialize within a guild and the other alliance thing (forgot the name) that acts like a separate guild chat.

I also found annoying all the back tracking from the generic questing but i tried to keep the generic questing to a minimum and do other stuff to level up and actually enjoyed it more that way.

My free days are already gone and i havent subscribed, i am waiting for the patch that brings housing and other good stuff and then ill subscribe. With that said, it is a fun game despite some flaws that are a huge deal to me like the lack of underwater content exploration and horrible global cool down. Crafting is fantastic as well.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If you're not an FF fan, some of the mob models and armor/clothing styles will quite possibly send you running away screaming imageimage

I wasn't a FF fan until the beta of FFXIV:ARR. Up to that point, I knew next to nothing about the IP. But it worked for me eventually, even though I had a few "wtf ?" moments initially. Now I'm addicted...

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    It's a small speed bump at that level. I experienced it too, then you get back on one day because your bored and that's when the bug gets you, next thing you know you'll be level 50 trying to get geared up for Titan HM fight. I recommend staying with the story for now, if you do too many FATEs you will be level 50 finishing the story for no xp just to play with the others in Mor' Dhona.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Level to 15 then go do some Fishing in game or real life. Change of pace is a good thing.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • NicephorusNicephorus Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Spector88

First of all, I'm not a huge FF fan, don't play console games, remember how much of a failure I heard this game was years ago. But I came in with a handful of info and an open mind.

I'll be the first to tell you, I've only spent about 5-6 hours in game.

I have a level 10 Lancer, and 6 Gladiator, but I'm already wavering, and heres why, feel free to chime in.

1) I hate the armor models. Every class other than Lancer and Gladiator looks horrible. I thought about making an archer, but disco pants, feathers, and brimmed hats doesn't appeal to me. This 'sticky nostalgic' idea was horrible. I guess many FF fans may like it, but I thought that the Gladiator's armor looks straight up like a 2013 masterpiece, while Archer or other classes look like a 1970 Joke.

2) Hard to keep going already by 10. Quests are all run to A to B to C to B to A to C. All instanced mini zones, and at times for a new player you spend more time clicking on little zones to see which one you need to go to than you do actually slaying stuff/having fun.

3) Socialization. In my 5-6 hours in game on Behemoth I saw 100's of players. Never once did I interact or see any of them chatting/interacting. At the 'FATES' we would all zerg then walk away. The website forums doesn't have SERVER forums, or guild forums easily found. And I didn't see many people actively recruiting lower people to guilds etc, now I understand this may be better at higher levels but I didnt feel immersed in the community right away it seemed like a lot of instanced maps with tons of noobs running all over with no purpose.

4) Combat.

Honestly , the combat is slow. I LIKE the animations, but its like 2-3 second cooldowns on main abilities, feels rather dull and honestly I'm sorry - outdated.

-

I know this is all level 10/6 review, but honestly I've seen most of the main city, done 10-15 'fates' or *COUGH* Rifts, and the combat, community, website, social, and esp. armor hasn't impressed me.

Right now I rerolled to gladiator because thats the only armor models I can see liking at lvl 50, thaumaturg was ok to be honest, we'll see. I'll have to see how dungeons are and stuff.

Does anyone else feel this way at first? Does it get better after a while? Honestly I would prefer grinding and killing stuff over running here there here there, I feel like all im doing is running and its really lame.

I realize that this is all early game stuff - because I've been max level in a lot of games, it may seem absurd but think about it -

You release a fail game and then re-release it 5 years later, and my first 5-6 hours have me yawning and unconvinced? You would think they would focus heavily on the early levels to make sure people see a changed or by god - revolutionary game, and instead im sitting here trying to bite the bullet hoping later game is decent.

I'm not going to fault you for giving your impressions after a few hours. If a game makes a such a poor impression on you so quickly, it may not be for you. It does get a little old though when people continue to assume that because a particular aspect of the game doesn't cater to their individual tastes, that its a total fail on the designer's end. In this case, of the 4 points the OP made, 3 of them are totally opposite of how I feel. I love the costume design, I love the writing on the quests, and I really like the slower paced combat. Does that make me right and the OP wrong? Nope, but given the overall feedback the game has been getting, I'm far from the only one who feels this way.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Pick and choose side quests and don't burn through them. It will be nice to have some later for other jobs, any rewards you get from them can be bought at vendors usually anyway. This game will allow you to burn yourself out if you choose to so take your time and everything in moderation.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

1. Armor. Have you gone to a wiki and looked at the different styles? Maybe if you find one you like it will help.  It helps if you like FF games.

2. The game is a bit lacking below 30. However if you check the forums, you can find how to maximum your time. This is an oldschool game and grouping makes the game much better.

3. I'm sure there are guilds out there for you. It would be a good idea to find people to level with. I don't really feel like this is a fun solo game. 

4. combat sucks imo. I feel its the weakest part of the game, but you will get more skills with time.  If you are okay with WoW and other 200 bars filled with skills mmos then you should be able to handle it. If you are looking for NW, Tera, GW2 'action' combat, you aren't going to find it here.

You bought the game. You got 30 free days, so I wouldn't give up after just a few hours.

• SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 156

To be honest I don't do much socializing anyways, but I've been in since beta 3 and haven't found the need to yet...

Oops should add my character is 35 pld, 38 gsm and 20+ in a few other trades as well.

I am in agreement with the armor for the classes, I also don't like how for the most part we all look the same maybe different colours..

The slow combat, does leave me wanting at times, a 2.5 sec cd on everything..  especially as a tank, it leaves me sometimes feeling unable to react to events that I need to in dungeon runs.

Stick around until lvl 15-20 when you will hit a lot of dungeons, then make your call is my suggestion.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

I really need to stop getting excited everytime a new MMO comes out. Need to control myself. I did it again, bought the game and boring generic questing, dull storyline and slow combat did it for me. And what is with the zones? so small and boxed in. There is no sense of adventure in this game at all.

I couldn't get past lvl 20.  But hey no big deal, i have spent money on worse games.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

This is like someone telling me they don't like to eat bananas and then asking my thoughts on it.

My response would be the same.  Don't eat bananas.

• Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112

thanks for your thoughts.

I think I will atleast TRY to get to level 20. I may just try grinding out some levels I would prefer to do that. Is there any way to do so? Do I need to ATLEAST

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

Do the main story quests, and hunting log, when you get 20 you'll be able to make use of fates for GC seals, for your first class/job, leave the side quests and hunting logs for the next class you choose. If battle classes get boring I'd recommend gathering and crafting, crafting is very good in this game, as far as a minigame goes. 2.1 is bringing housing and wolf's den PvP, if you're really bored you could focus on ranking up your chocobo, once you get it. There will also be the GC hunting log, as well as GC levequests, guildleves and levelquests, I recommend leve quests for crafting and gathering though.

The class specific armor doesn't last long and you'll be on your way to grinding a new set of gear at 50.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

OP I feel ya.

At lvl 7-10 I about gave up on my archer due to him looking like a almost naked drag queen.

Combat in my opinion is slow...but FF 11 was slower and you could NOT solo there.

What saved me was my wife. She encouarged me to keep playing a little more.

I'm lvl 23 now and my archer looks awesome (gear wise) more abilities to counter cooldowns and a good guild/free company for chat

If you can find a friend or someone to stick with for a while, just continue till 20 then make a choice to stay or go.

But like other have said in this post...if your looking for fast paced WoW like combat and ease of quests..it's not really here.

Good luck

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Honestly?  If you're burned out, quit.  No reason to suffer through optional entertainment if you don't enjoy yourself.

I disagree on most of your points.  There are armor sets for your archer that I think look better than any armor models I've ever seen in any other MMO.  Foestriker and Infantry come to mind.  Most of what you see players wear is common gear.

Side quests serve a purpose.  They aren't fantastic epic storylines, they're a tool to trick players into interacting with the "locals".  I personally run by and talk to every NPC I see in the game.  You may find it boring, but I find it fascinating to familiarize myself with the region and the people in it.  I do not get bored delivering someone's mail as long as there is proper dialogue to go along.

Socializing?  Fates have the GW2 zerg thing going on, except players actually group up.  If you don't socialize with the players you group with then that's your own problem.  The main story forces grouping for dungeon play.  Dungeon difficulty eventually scales passed the skill of your average pug group and you'll want to find a guild.  The only ding against SE here is that they sometimes force you to be solo to do certain quests.

Combat... has been done before.  Many times.  That being said, I play PUG as my main and it's non-stop go-go-go in combat.  Sometimes I actually wish I had less abilities and a longer GCD.

What's with the stand-offish conclusion in your OP?

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by SKurj

To be honest I don't do much socializing anyways, but I've been in since beta 3 and haven't found the need to yet...

Oops should add my character is 35 pld, 38 gsm and 20+ in a few other trades as well.

I am in agreement with the armor for the classes, I also don't like how for the most part we all look the same maybe different colours..

The slow combat, does leave me wanting at times, a 2.5 sec cd on everything..  especially as a tank, it leaves me sometimes feeling unable to react to events that I need to in dungeon runs.

Stick around until lvl 15-20 when you will hit a lot of dungeons, then make your call is my suggestion.

react to events lol yea if oyu make the wrong move yoru dead at times hence the 2.5 doesnt leave much room for error

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Zalmon

I really need to stop getting excited everytime a new MMO comes out. Need to control myself. I did it again, bought the game and boring generic questing, dull storyline and slow combat did it for me. And what is with the zones? so small and boxed in. There is no sense of adventure in this game at all.

I couldn't get past lvl 20.  But hey no big deal, i have spent money on worse games.

you do nto have to do all the quest just class and storyline

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

I know what you mean about the armour... I can't bring myself to level Archer for just that reason and I'm seriously thinking of taking Glad on as my main class (26 Glad, 31 Thaum, 28 Conj, 24 Arcan, ~16 all others).

The quests are a bit slow, and they don't really get any better, but the game does, especially as you unlock more abilities (combat starts to feel a lot more tactical and the 2.5s GCD starts to make sense).

At level 15/16/17 your get access to the first three dungeons (via main story quest line) and unlock the other two main areas of the world (can pick up other classes / crafts). The dungeons are pretty fun, and tanking is by far my favorite role.

At level 20 you join a grand company (again, via main story quest line) and get a mount. At this point you have a lot of options: Level other classes, story quest, fates, 4th dungeon (and fav so far), grand company leves, hunting logs (inc. grand company one), crafting... 

But at the end of the day if you don't like the feel of the game in general (though I would give it till level 20 to make a firm judgement) then maybe it's not the game for you... but I'm addicted.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    hit Lv 50 the other day . Finished one hell of a epic story the last dungeon was so damn fun . The ending of the story thus far was great . Now I'm getting ready for HM Ifrit , Titan and Garuda . I am now collecting the 5k worth of tombstones i need for my Darklight gear , I am trying my best to kill Odin for his cloth . When i am not doing all of that . I am helping the lower level Free Company members do there dungeon . And Fate Grinds . And i am also Crafting and Gathering . I have Goldsmith , Blacksmith and Armour to 20+ Fishing to 28 , Mining to 21 , and Bot. to 11 . And wile i do that i am talking to my FC members on our Voice chat . Or crafting together and helping each other with mats .  The games Dungeons get harder and harder as you go . If you only spent so little time in game then you are doing yourself an injustice  imo . READ the quests there is all kinds of pop culture references from the mid 80s to early 2000 along with FF references from the past . Well enough to make you laugh . I know SOME people are getting upset because they cant beat there solo instance story quests . What i say to that is this . Get better . Plain and simple . You cant beat something then learn how to be better . Others have beat X Y and Z why cant you? Again not saying the OP falls in this area but i see people on my server ( Diabolos) in shout rage quit because they cant pass boss 1 solo . All i can say is just sit back and enjoy the game . 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• FanOfSupermanFanOfSuperman Member UncommonPosts: 144

Pretty much sums up my initial feelings toward the game and why I've had a hard time justifying the sub price.

I actually love the art style in FFXIV, but it's mostly the colors on most of the gear that I find repulsive, not so much the gear itself. I think FFXIV is a breath of fresh air in terms of the look of gear on your character(s). However, I definitely agree with your assessment on numbers 2 and 4. The combat due to the GCD is killing me. After playing some of the other MMOs that have launched recently, going back to the horribly slow combat in FFXIV is painful.