Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO has 3 million people sign up for beta as of Aug-26!

BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I found this interesting little tidbit in the 6th edition of  'Ask us anything"  on the ESO website. Ask us anything is really cool where devs answer our question's.

"Where’s my beta key? – The Internet

I was going to deliver it to you in person, but I ran out of magicka! My mount went lame! I didn’t have enough gold for the Wayshrine. My robes didn’t come back from the alchemist’s! An old friend stopped by from Akavir. Someone stole my horse! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Fleshflies! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO THE DIVINES!

Excuses aside, we’ve sent out tens of thousands of beta keys already. Keep in mind, though, that three million fans have signed up so far. The beta is growing fast, and we’re going to keep sending invites, so don’t lose hope! Any time we send new invites, you’ll see a post here and on social media."

Source:

"http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/08/26/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-6";

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't think that means much honestly, but thanks for posting anyways!

personally i will buy and play the game but i am not even signed up for beta. there are probably thousands of people that are signed up just to try it that have no intention on buying it.

so yeah....

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I don't even recall if I'm signed up for beta or not.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    That's not as many as I would think.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I signed up and got in - woohoo, me! - and I used 3 different emails.  I'd guess they're counting each email as a separate person signing up - so the number presented could be a bit deceiving.  Be pretty cool if it really WAS 3 million folks signing up for the beta, though.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by jdlamson75
    I signed up and got in - woohoo, me! - and I used 3 different emails.  I'd guess they're counting each email as a separate person signing up - so the number presented could be a bit deceiving.  Be pretty cool if it really WAS 3 million folks signing up for the beta, though.

Congrats on your beta invite!

Good point 3 million applications isn't necessarily 3 million unique applicants.

Even still with most successfully MMOs using the 1 million account mark for bragging rights and 400k concurrent players being really bustling, this early showing of 3 million is impressive.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Ummm.....that's like saying '3 million people signed up for absolutely free food!"

lol no shit, you don't say? :-)

Beta is free, so why not sign up?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Here's the thing.  This is like comparing the amount of people who entered a contest to win a Dodge Viper compared to the actual purchasers.  I'm betting those two numbers will be very different.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

3 million isn't as much as you would think?  Were you expecting a trillion?  A gazillion?  That's a shit ton of beta sign-ups.  Obviously, it means nothing in the grand scheme, but that's the most I can recall a game having.  

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

3 million isn't as much as you would think?  Were you expecting a trillion?  A gazillion?  That's a shit ton of beta sign-ups.  Obviously, it means nothing in the grand scheme, but that's the most I can recall a game having.  

Skyrim sold what 11mil copies or thereabouts? this is free the only prevention to sign up is really only laziness or disinterest.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by BMBender

Skyrim sold what 11mil copies or thereabouts? this is free the only prevention to sign up is really only laziness or disinterest.

I see what you're saying man.  But, that 3 million is probably only 500k people signing up on 6 different e-mails lol.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

I see what you're saying man.  But, that 3 million is probably only 500k people signing up on 6 different e-mails lol.

actually thats a good point lol. I wonder if they scan by IP address and somehow sort by that as well for their distribution list. I guess Im in the minority and only made one account, stupid me lol. Im too lazy to do more than one :-).

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

The point I was trying to get across (admittedly in a tongue in cheek manner) was that beta signups is an irrelevant data point.  You can extrapolate nothing from it other tan 3 mil signed up.  I've seen games barely break 10k with a couple k active participants change the industry.  On the other hand I'm sure SWTOR had as many or more, that went well.  Beta signups mean nothing in regards to game state now or at launch.

Using beta signups as a basis for predicting anything is merely one projecting their own hopes/dreams or dire predictions.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I signed up for beta...I have no interest in playing or paying for the game.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

that doesnt mean 3 million people will buy and play the game. Who knows, maybe more, maybe less. But 3 mil beta sign ups mean nothing. Hey, also a small number will be chosen so.... pffffft

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I signed up for beta...I have no interest in playing or paying for the game.

I played the beta...I  have no interest in playing or paying for the game!

Originally posted by RebelScum99 Originally posted by DavisFlight That's not as many as I would think.

your average gamer doesn't beta test any game. how many beta testers signed up for skyrim? i bet it wasn't more than 11 million hah

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by DavisFlight That's not as many as I would think.

your average gamer doesn't beta test any game. how many beta testers signed up for skyrim? i bet it wasn't more than 11 million hah

read the follow up, it was merely an example of how pointless it is to draw conclusions from an irrelevant data point .

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Considering that Star Wars only attracted 2 million beta players with a much bigger advertising push, its a decent achievement. Just goes to show how popular the ESO IP is.

Hopefully the finished product lives up to the legacy.

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by BMBender Originally posted by RebelScum99 Originally posted by DavisFlight That's not as many as I would think.
    read the follow up, it was merely an example of how pointless it is to draw conclusions from an irrelevant data point .

i agree its pointless to draw any conclusions but you said "the only prevention to sign up is really only laziness or disinterest."

that's what i don't agree with. again, your average gamer doesn't beta test any games, is that because they are lazy or not interested?

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

The number of beta signups really don't mean much, just as I never liked it when AoC started talking about the number of unique visitors they had on their website.  But with that said, the best thing that has happened to EOS is Everquest Next reveal.  A lot of speculation and hype went into EQN reveal.  Then after the reveal, a lot of people went looking for other games.  And here EOS is the next thing that's going to be launched before EQN, and it has promising gameplay that is everything EQN is not.

Had SOE gone after their traditional fantasy MMO gamers, their core audience that they've held on to for the past 14 years, EOS could've been in trouble.  But since SOE went after young, mass casual audience, with console action gameplay, there's now room for another game to fill that void.  EOS in my opinion is the perfect game at the perfect time to fill that void.  I for one hope EOS will turn out to be a good game.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by DavisFlight That's not as many as I would think.

i agree its pointless to draw any conclusions but you said "the only prevention to sign up is really only laziness or disinterest."

that's what i don't agree with. again, your average gamer doesn't beta test any games, is that because they are lazy or not interested?

it was a tongue in cheek example of how pointless it is to draw conclusions from beta signups.  We need a sarcasm font :D

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Things are coming along then it seems.  This game is going to be bigger than SWTOR and WAR combined.  Wowzers.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli
    Things are coming along then it seems.  This game is going to be bigger than SWTOR and WAR combined.  Wowzers.

well how much is that really saying? You did better than two of the top 5 recent mmo flops?

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

well how much is that really saying? You did better than two of the top 5 recent mmo flops?

Ok debbie downers.  WAR had impressive numbers early on, over 400k subscribers, and something of over 1 million copies sold.  WAR flopped several months into launch, after people saw the lack of endgame and badly optimized RvR.  We have no idea if ESO will be bigger than SWTOR & WAR combined, but if ESO reaches WAR's initial numbers, then it'll be impressive in itself.  The key for ESO is retention, something WAR failed at.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by Mardy

Ok debbie downers.  WAR had impressive numbers early on, over 400k subscribers, and something of over 1 million copies sold.  WAR flopped several months into launch, after people saw the lack of endgame and badly optimized RvR.  We have no idea if ESO will be bigger than SWTOR & WAR combined, but if ESO reaches WAR's initial numbers, then it'll be impressive in itself.  The key for ESO is retention, something WAR failed at.

Not just war Every mmo is in sate of contraction or stasis with the possible exception of EVE except during x-pacs and major content updates then they all go back to proving entropy.  Personally I see very little to separate it atm from any other, and regardless how people are reading things(good bad or indifferent) into an irrelevant stat like beta signup baffles me.