Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How to get into the cartoon-style graphics

Comments

• donpopukidonpopuki Dearborn, MIPosts: 591Member
    All this nerd rage over the fact the characters have big eyes. It's quite silly.
  • SengiSengi HamburgPosts: 350Member
    Originally posted by nisrak

I care about the way my character looks, but I like the aesthetic shown so far with EQN.  In fact, I think it is somewhat goes back to the original look of EQ1.  Personally, I really liked the original EQ1 models and when they re-vamped them, I hated the (horrible) attempt at a more realistic look.  EQN models seem to fall in between and I think strike a happy balance between detailed/realistic and stylized/exaggerated.  If you think the original EQ1 models were "realistic", you should take another look at them...

For its time Everquest didn't look cartoony at all. Gamespot wrote on April 2, 1999:

"EverQuest looks so good that comparing its graphics to any other first-person RPG would be a disservice. Its colorful, 3D-accelerated visuals instead rank with first-person shooters in terms of quality and detail, although in all fairness, they don't rank very highly because the quality is inconsistent. Certain player classes, monsters, and areas of the world look spectacular - at its best, EverQuest is picturesque and realistic."  

Just look at the first Counterstrike. That was considered to be diehard realistic graphics in 2000 and the player-models look not that different from EQ. You just can't make a payer model with 800 polygons that doesn't look very angular. They tried their best to make it as realistic as possible.

I think most people took 1 look at "Keeshar" and for some reason assumed the entire game was going to be Care Bears.  Granted, SOE should not have shown that model as their first preview of the game, but I'm sure that they are going to have dark and menacing character models and tons of character customization.   WIth the amount of customization modern games have, I'm not worried about getting my character to look how I want.  I'm just glad the aesthetic is colorful and has some style and is not the monotone grey of ESO.

This could be one explanation, but I don't really believe it. If this is the case it would be the greatest marketing-fiasco ever.

If this is true, why don't they tell us that those characters don't represent the overall look of the game? And why don't they hurry to show us some different ones that look better? Instead they show us the same three models over and over and keep explaining us why this cartoony art style is so great, because we are to stupid to see it ourselves.

• syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,063Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Artean
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I'm just tired of the "They age better" excuse for using cartoony graphics. 

Indeed. That's way you keep upgrading your graphic engine over time. Compare to EVE.

I dont think you understand what a massive undertaking it is to redo character models.

Every MMO continuously upgrades their environments (look at EQ and WoW environrments over the years).  yet neither game has updated their character models in the last 9 years (EQ did it 12 years ago, WoW has working on it but are nowhere near done).  There is a reason for this.

Originally posted by Kyleran

I recall that when I first started playing computer games in the 80's they were 4 color CGA  display with 16 KB of memory and a whopping 320 x 200 display resolution (in color).   VGA seemed like such a blessing (I skipped EGA)

Anything today looks far better than this, though sometimes I think the games back then were more enjoyable, perhaps because at the end of the day, it's enjoyable game play over graphics in my book.

Seriously, just give the darn game a try and quit worrying about what the graphics look like.

I enjoy retro games myself and also modern games made with retro graphics like Minecraft or Fez. Their graphics have limitations, either self imposed ones or due to the hardware restrictions, but they work with it and make the best out of it. Limitations often yield creativity. You can make a great game with CGA-graphics as well as with the newest high end graphics.

But even in the 80s there was no excuse for unimaginative graphics that don't fit the game, and today it is the same.

EQN is not a retro game, it features modern high-poly models. SOE was free to use any art style they wanted. And we can expect from them to make something that fits Everquest.

Of course I'm going to give EQN a try, but I'm still worried about the art style. The worst scenario would be that this actually is the art style that EQN deserves, because it turns out not to be "the greatest sandbox of all times" that Smedley promised to us.

• MetrobiusMetrobius cherry valley, CAPosts: 95Member Common
    I like the graphical style I have seen so far. My only concern is that they might have a limited spectrum of customization, but we wont know that for a while.
    I think the avatars we have seen seem expressive and easy to look at. If you want to see what realistic avatars look like go check out mortal online.
  • nisraknisrak Honolulu, HIPosts: 70Member
    Originally posted by Sengi

For its time Everquest didn't look cartoony at all. Gamespot wrote on April 2, 1999:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Cartoony"....

• superconductingsuperconducting Rochester, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon

Acclimatization. Yea sure!

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Decline to Identify, CAPosts: 75Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

i love it.. whats your problem? i love dreamworks and pixar movies too, 

go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2? 

how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on

League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..

Great. But wait until you get into your twenties and you might feel differently.

you can argue all day about the lion..

but the wizard and her animations and emotes looks amazing.. and shes cute! what is there to hate about..

omg your twenty! your so mature! you need gore and realism even tho eq look like crap omg!

how old do you think the people are who makes this stuff and draws it? why are you even playing video games mister im twenty im mature now

• DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member

I liken this to a change in artist on a comic book.Inevitably some people hate the new art style and leave the comic book and spend the rest of their lives complaining about it on a forum somewhere,another group loves the chagne and waxes poetical about it to anyone who will listen or read,but the majority just accept the change and grow used to it and maybe love  it and keep reading.

Of course this analogy falls apart if EQN as a game fails lol.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by nisrak

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Cartoony"....

Yep and Rosie, the art director for both EQ1 and EQN has already stated many times that EQ1 was stylised and the decision was not based on graphical limitations at the time. The only difference between EQ1 and EQN is the accentuated limbs (designed to show off detail in armour) and eyes (designed to show off emotion with SoEmote).

If people hate it, thats fine, but EQ1 was not realistic in any way shape or form. EQN artistic design seems to follow on from EQ1 rather than EQ2 (which had strange play-doh faces until they introduced SOGA models, which are cartoony).

• BMBenderBMBender Nowhere, NCPosts: 568Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Acclimation.

That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

Not playing :D

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

i love it.. whats your problem? i love dreamworks and pixar movies too, 

go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2? 

how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on

League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..

Great. But wait until you get into your twenties and you might feel differently.

30 this year and I think the graphics look fine. Maybe its the fact that you just turned 20 and feel the need to distance yourself from your childhood to be all mature and sophisticated?

Lots of old people play World of Warcraft, the average age was something like 28, which means there were a lot of people in their 30s and 40s playing it. They probably don't have the same personal issues that people who hate cartoons do.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,772Member Uncommon

Acclimation.

That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

loving it.

The Lion looks awful but i will play a female character anyway so i dont care how cute that big bad fierce kitty looks.

• RocknissRockniss Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,034Member
    I do not hold graphics as a high priority. I look more at fluidity and response movement. Combat, community, difficulty, and progression. Exploration and creativity. Graphics up to a certain point are taken for granted. I think everyone has a different expectation to take for granted.
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Chiacgo, ILPosts: 602Member Common

Acclimation. That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

I'm an animator, it comes with an inherent love for cartoons.

I always find it humorous when folks make bias statements about cartoons and try to associate them solely with children.

Every time I read "I'm too grown to enjoy cartoon graphics" on these forums I immediately envision some kid in their 20's trying to put on a false air of maturity.

The scary part is one day the world will be run by adults who were never spanked as kids and got trophies just for participating.

• Vlhad77Vlhad77 Mountain Home, ARPosts: 139Member Uncommon
    i could care less about graphics, only thing important to me is gameplay and content in the game.
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Chiacgo, ILPosts: 602Member Common

Originally posted by dwarfkinglords i love it.. whats your problem? i love dreamworks and pixar movies too,    go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2?    how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on   League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..    

Just wait till you get into your thirties and you realize what a dumb-ass you were in your 20's...

Seriously this pretense of "maturity" is hilarious. I suppose you know that the folks who create this media are... you got it, adults! You think they don't like it, they just do it for a paycheck?

I agree with a prior poster about you just turning 20 recently yourself and have this insecure need to separate yourself form your child peers...ooh so grown, your a big boy now!

The scary part is one day the world will be run by adults who were never spanked as kids and got trophies just for participating.

• GeekyGeeky Huntington, INPosts: 243Member
    I've written this game off due to the graphic art style.  And I was a huge fan of EQ and an even bigger one of EQ2.
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,453Member Uncommon

Though I prefer realistic art design there is a novelty to stylized design.

As long as one drops their expectations and accepts it for what it is there shouldn't be a problem.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Woodstock, GAPosts: 1,379Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BradD77
    i could care less about graphics, only thing important to me is gameplay and content in the game.

I agree with this message 100%. I used to judge games on their graphics and aesthetics until my wife talked me into playing games that I previously felt were inferior to what I was playing. I am so glad I did because they have been some of the best experiences. I have found over the years that just playing the game is enough to allow my senses to get used to the game and it doesn't look bad after a few hours of playtime. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Woodstock, GAPosts: 1,379Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by strangepowers

Originally posted by dwarfkinglords i love it.. whats your problem? i love dreamworks and pixar movies too,    go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2?    how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on   League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..    

Just wait till you get into your thirties and you realize what a dumb-ass you were in your 20's...

Seriously this pretense of "maturity" is hilarious. I suppose you know that the folks who create this media are... you got it, adults! You think they don't like it, they just do it for a paycheck?

I agree with a prior poster about you just turning 20 recently yourself and have this insecure need to separate yourself form your child peers...ooh so grown, your a big boy now!

Lol as a 34 year old I approve this message.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

If you honestly take yourself so seriously that you can't enjoy anything that isn't "realistic" looking, you may want to re-think playing fantasy RPGs. 

These are some good points that it may be the younger players that are insisting on "gritty" and "realistic" graphics to overcompensate.  It's ironic that more stylized and "cartoonish" graphics may keep the younger/less mature players away.

• ArteanArtean GöteborgPosts: 209Member Uncommon
    Kids, relax. Your joy for Disney themes will eventually come to an end. Don't fight it. In a few years from now, most of you will understand.

When in doubt, troll.

Originally posted by strangepowers

I'm an animator, it comes with an inherent love for cartoons.

I always find it humorous when folks make bias statements about cartoons and try to associate them solely with children.

Every time I read "I'm too grown to enjoy cartoon graphics" on these forums I immediately envision some kid in their 20's trying to put on a false air of maturity.

I think you are misunderstanding this discussion. Nobody said that that all cartoons where bad. I don't think one could honestly say that. Cartoons are such a wide subject. It would be like saying: "I hate all music".

This discussion is about the fact that one specific cartoon style does not fit for one specific game.

You also have to consider what kind of specific art style this is. Its looks like the 3D recreation of a traditional western cartoon, more specific Disney and if you want to be even more specific, it bears an uncanny resembles to the Star Wars - The Clone Wars TV-show.

This kind of art style has its very specific niche. It yields all kinds of associations. Wherever I see this kind of art I expect slap stick humour and a kind of schmaltzy story.

I don't want to say that i didn't respect classical Disney movie for what they are, but I think there is a reason Pixar changed the art style slightly for its more mature films like Up.

If video games have cartoony graphics the players immediately expects that this is going to be a game that doesn't takes itself very serious and concentrates on short term fun. The graphics form Super Mario Bros. tell the player that the he shouldn't ponder on the question why this plumber wants to save the princess, but that the whole purpose of the game is running from left to right.

This is not the case for games that have a very artistic style like Okami or Limbo, or games whose art style is stylised jet gritty like The walking Dead.

The more is revealed of the game the more it seems to me shat the art style fits into a broader theme that the game has. You can jump around like a bouncy ball and you don't have to commit to a single class. You can be a warrior this minute an a wizard the next. It seems they want to concentrate solely on short term fun. I really hope they are not aiming for some sort of 50/50 mix of Everquest and Free Realms, that would be nothing but betrayal. They have these amazing tools a great franchise at their hands but it would all be wasted it they still make a forgettable game out of it.

I think you are misunderstanding this discussion. Nobody said that that all cartoons where bad. I don't think one could honestly say that. Cartoons are such a wide subject. It would be like saying: "I hate all music".

This discussion is about the fact that one specific cartoon style does not fit for one specific game.

People in these discussions are saying that they hate "cartoony" graphics with no talk about how it relates to this game.  Even if they mean they dont like this type of cartoon, by your analogy that is like saying "I hate all pop music".  I guess that opinion is valid but it's not going to make Katy Perry stop making pop music.

You also have to consider what kind of specific art style this is. Its looks like the 3D recreation of a traditional western cartoon, more specific Disney and if you want to be even more specific, it bears an uncanny resembles to the Star Wars - The Clone Wars TV-show.

This kind of art style has its very specific niche. It yields all kinds of associations. Wherever I see this kind of art I expect slap stick humour and a kind of schmaltzy story.

I don't want to say that i didn't respect classical Disney movie for what they are, but I think there is a reason Pixar changed the art style slightly for its more mature films like Up.

"Up" has extremely stylized art, buts long as it doesn't remind you of The Clone Wars it's fine?

If video games have cartoony graphics the players immediately expects that this is going to be a game that doesn't takes itself very serious and concentrates on short term fun.

Again I point to the early post of the Ogre models from EQ1.  Quite stylized and rather cartoony, but nothing in EQ1 was short-term fun.  I don't think its fair to make broad gameplay assumptions based on a few glances at the art.